• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Video Previews of Pandora: The World of Avatar @ Disney World

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man River Journey looks very meh. Definitely beautiful looking, but it seems like there isn't any story or explanation of what you're seeing. Lots of pretty colors but kind of soulless. That last animataronic is incredible though, unbelievable control of his arms. Hopefully the Banshee ride is a classic.
At least it's not a 3d bullshit ride.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
If the video is super crisp like the new Soarin', I think I'll be OK on that new flight ride. The only reason Star Tours is hard for me is because the video quality doesn't seem as good (also the jerky movements).

Got

Banned
If the video is super crisp like the new Soarin', I think I'll be OK on that new flight ride. The only reason Star Tours is hard for me is because the video quality doesn't seem as good (also the jerky movements).

the on;y issue with the new soarin' is the obvious VFX added but yeah it looks nice

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
I'm so sad I'm going to be there just a few weeks before the official opening and probably just a week or two ahead of soft opens

Tell Ted, you need a break before Spider-Man release, when is that releasing by the way?

😜😜😜

The video for the banshee ride reminds of the cheesy video before you ride Dinosaur, I love it. I thought the ride was going to suspend you in air like Soarin, but I guess you just sit?

Edit: HOLY SHIT, that animatronic is fucking amazing!

Somnia

The video for the banshee ride reminds of the cheesy video before you ride Dinosaur, I love it. I thought the ride was going to suspend you in air like Soarin, but I guess you just sit?

Ya I don't know the details on how it moves, but I know it has stuff on the seat so it feels like the banshee is breathing and you can feel the wind.

Are they still doing the Twilight at Animal Kingdom stuff? Not even just talking about Pandora. I mean like the Tree of Life as it illuminates as it gets late?

Did that May of last year, it was fantastic.

Somnia

Are they still doing the Twilight at Animal Kingdom stuff? Not even just talking about Pandora. I mean like the Tree of Life as it illuminates as it gets late?

Did that May of last year, it was fantastic.

Yep, Animal Kingdom is open till 11PM almost every night through like June right now when Pandora opens. It's open till like 8-10 without pandora though I think.

The tree and Everest at night is amazing.

Linkura

Sounds like we're looking at 3 hour+ waits with these rides...

https://twitter.com/easywdw/status/860127077617602560
If Na'vi River Journey capacity is really 1200/hour and Flight is ~1600/hour there is going to be a problem. The queue lengths are redonk

https://twitter.com/easywdw/status/859899282375274496
The sheer length of the flight of passage queue should have you very, very worried

I don't understand why the capacity for River Journey is so low- basically Frozen levels. They were locked into the Frozen capacity thanks to it originally being Maelstrom, but RJ was built from the ground up. Other boat rides have way more capacity- POTC has about 3200/hr, for example. I'm shocked that FOP has a higher capacity, and I think many others are too- totally thought it would be the other way around. Not that FOP's capacity is high at all- that's still fairly low.

Disney doesn't make a whole lot of sense sometimes...

hirokazu

I don't understand why the capacity for River Journey is so low- basically Frozen levels. They were locked into the Frozen capacity thanks to it originally being Maelstrom, but RJ was built from the ground up. Other boat rides have way more capacity- POTC has about 3200/hr, for example. I'm shocked that FOP has a higher capacity, and I think many others are too- totally thought it would be the other way around. Not that FOP's capacity is high at all- that's still fairly low.

Maybe Disney went on GAF and saw that nobody cared about Avatar anymore ;P

Somnia

There's a shitload of hype and advertising going on- honestly, I don't care about Avatar, but I'm still interested in riding these rides at least once.

Fast pass is your friend :)

Yes I know this isn't always available even more so for locals

Snaku

Banned

Damn, and you can only Fastpass one of the two rides, assuming you can get a Fastpass. I'm really looking forward to going in a few weeks to see it all, but I know the crowds are gonna hurt the experience.

Linkura

Fast pass is your friend :)

Yes I know this isn't always available even more so for locals

Problem is you can only get one of these as an initial 3 selection. FOP has Single Rider but it sounds like it still will be a long wait.

Most likely scenario on my next trip is I do 2 partial days at Animal Kingdom or rope drop one of them- whichever one is least busy (or maybe just FOP since it has Single Rider- rope dropping Test Track as a Single Rider is awesome as you bypass all the make your own car bullshit and get on the ride faster than anyone else).

SnZyvzH.jpg

This place is just going to be jaw dropping!

However, the low rider numbers per hour is just mind boggling, especially for the Navi River boat ride, maximum of 8 per boat? That's so tiny!

Linkura

My bad, but still 30 days is usually good enough to get onto most rides depending on your party size.

It can be very hard to get reasonable times for Frozen or Mine Train at 30 days out. Unless you want a 9PM Fastpass, which is basically worthless since you can't get additional ones that late, and even that can be hard to get depending on time of year, party size, etc.

It's the same issue with these rides as far as I have seen.

It can be very hard to get reasonable times for Frozen or Mine Train at 30 days out. Unless you want a 9PM Fastpass, which is basically worthless since you can't get additional ones that late, and even that can be hard to get depending on time of year, party size, etc.

I don't know, I've had good success just constantly refreshing the system when I'm in the park and getting FP+ for 1-2 people.

Linkura

I don't know, I've had good success just constantly refreshing the system when I'm in the park and getting FP+ for 1-2 people.

That's because you're only looking for 1-2 people. I've had similar success myself... for 1-2 people. Most people who visit are families with parties greater than 2.

EDIT: Just read on another site there's rumored to be capacity for 4 hour wait times in the queue for FOP... fucking hell.

That's because you're only looking for 1-2 people. I've had similar success myself... for 1-2 people. Most people who visit are families with parties greater than 2.

Of course trying to get large numbers of FP+ for a group, or a reservation is hard, even with 180 days for dining, or 60 for a hotel guest booking FP+

Linkura

Of course trying to get large numbers of FP+ for a group, or a reservation is hard, even with 180 days for dining, or 60 for a hotel guest booking FP+

Actually not really, as long as you do it as soon as the window opens.

Looks like if I'm not going to FP something, it'll be FOP. River Journey's queue looks basic.

daffy

Banned
To be fair, no one will be riding these rides in a year, especially once Toy Story opens. Hell they may even disperse as soon as October. not like Pirates imo where the brand is always strong

From what I've heard and seen on Snapchat during the Cast Preview they're pretty basic experiences

Somnia

Normally I'd also say try to ride them during the night time show, but Pandora's entire land is basically a night time show and different than during the day, so it'll most likely remain crowded even at night,

Thankfully I'm not going again till early December so things will hopefully calm down a bit by then.

Somnia

To be fair, no one will be riding these rides in a year, especially once Toy Story opens. Hell they may even disperse as soon as October. not like Pirates imo where the brand is always strong

I think you're underestimating the possibility of this land being popular for the atmosphere alone. If the rides (mainly flight) are amazing, they won't die down that fast. Remember that Animal Kingdom has been begging for new attractions.

Linkura

Normally I'd also say try to ride them during the night time show, but Pandora's entire land is basically a night time show and different than during the day, so it'll most likely remain crowded even at night,

Thankfully I'm not going again till early December so things will hopefully calm down a bit by then.

Yeah I need to build in some nighttime time to see this land at night. I usually rope drop and then head to bed early for another rope drop. Can't do that with this. Maybe stay late one night and then the next morning sleep in for the rest of AK so I don't miss out on rope dropping MK/elsewhere.

daffy

Banned
I think you're underestimating the possibility of this land being popular for the atmosphere alone. If the rides (mainly flight) are amazing, they won't die down that fast. Remember that Animal Kingdom has been begging for new attractions.
Maybe not as soon as October, but I'm almost positive people will not be crowding out in Pandora past Christmas. People didn't respond all that well to the 2016 experiences Disney threw at the park. I went two months after Nighttime premiered and it was dead. I doubt Avatar will change that but of course we will see.

Linkura

Maybe not as soon as October, but I'm almost positive people will not be crowding out in Pandora past Christmas. People didn't respond all that well to the 2016 experiences Disney threw at the park. I went two months after Nighttime premiered and it was dead. I doubt Avatar will change that but of course we will see.

The problem was the Jungle Book nighttime show sucked and it stopped after a few months anyway. Rivers of Light, which was supposed to be the big draw of AK at night, did not debut until just a couple months ago in 2017. It's a different story now.

gatling

Ive been waiting on this for a while. Usually spend a week every other year for food and wine fest in october. Hope its not as crazy.

From what I've heard and seen on Snapchat during the Cast Preview they're pretty basic experiences

Have you seen the plans for Toy Story land, it's mediocre at best. It's a spinner tea cup type of ride and a kiddie coaster. If Soarin can still command hefty wait times the flight ride in Pandora will stay packed.

Linkura

This review of FOP:

https://www.disboards.com/threads/o...rmation-thread.3587311/page-129#post-57550994
At the temporary gate to Pandora, we talked to a friendly Cast Member who was the first of many to tell us about all of the issues Flight of Passage has been having. Essentially, the ride is not able to run for more than an hour without breaking down or needing a rest period. Almost every Cast Member we asked would tell us essentially the same thing.

There was no moving forward toward the screen. I was on the 1st floor, toward the far corner. I had to look up and to the right to look toward the "center" of the screen. At all times, I was very aware that there was a ceiling above me. If I looked up and right slightly further than the screen, I could see all of the other rows of people riding.

So much for "no bad seats". I was very much off-centered and could tell. At some points, I even got double vision in the 3D because I wasn't looking straight on. Oh well.

The ride mechanism itself is pretty cool. If you look behind you, you can see how much the theater moves. You're in a row of people, in a room, and it feels like the room is moving to a 3D video. I found it very hard to suspend belief enough to not be aware of this.

And the movie content itself? Nothing happens. Much like Soarin', you're just taking a ride. There is no conflict, no dialogue, and really no music. And you can very much tell it's CGI. It doesn't even look as good as the movie, which came out almost a decade ago. It looks like a smoother, higher resolution PS4 game.

The drops that people mentioned on here are more like gentle dives. Nothing overly thrilling. Nothing jerky like Star Tours. Gentle, like Soarin', but with more dramatic movement.

Overall, it's a fun ride, no doubt. It just isn't what people have been saying it is. It is not a "game changer". It does not top The Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man for best 3D attraction (opinion). It's basically Jimmy Fallon ride on bikes. It's just OK. Lower your expectations and try to enjoy it for what it is.

Jimmy Fallon ride on bikes...
tenor.gif

Sounds like both Pandora rides are gonna be a one and done for me. I hate Soarin' and this sounds like Soarin' through Pandora, which was the worst case scenario imo. :(

Then the review of River Journey from the same person...
I don't know what to say about River Journey, besides that I think that it is the worst attraction in WDW. It is visually pleasing, the shaman animatronic is cool, but that's it. There is no story. The ride blurs together as one scene - it all looks the same. The projections are very easy to identify and differentiate from the live action scenes. It's short. Unless you've spent the last 7 years obsessing over Avatar, then you probably have no emotional connection to this world.

I'd love to stand by the exit of the ride and hear people's reaction when they leave. I imagine many people will be confused and disappointed.
Jesus.

And about the land itself...
Pandora is small. It somehow feels smaller than Camp Minnie Mickey. The centerpiece is beautiful, but that's about the only impressive part. Otherwise, it's a bunch of trees and plants.

What I was afraid of. Oh boy. The food has been getting good reviews, though. So that's something.

zeemumu

Have you seen the plans for Toy Story land, it's mediocre at best. It's a spinner tea cup type of ride and a kiddie coaster. If Soarin can still command hefty wait times the flight ride in Pandora will stay packed.

Radiator Springs Racers in Cars Land has yet to die down as well. It's not as hectic but it's still something you're gonna want a fastpass for

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom