• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Hardware Troubleshooting / Q&A Thread

RaikuHebi

Banned
sQyGRzH.png

Heres mine btw.

That metal piece in the middle isn't as close as you think.
Have you read this?
http://kotaku.com/good-news-about-our-once-broken-ps4-1464813671

HDMIINPUTPS4_zps5509e70c.jpg

I'm almost at the end of my rope here. Not quite, but almost. I've literally been trying all day to get my PS4 to do something, ANYTHING, and it just won't. When I try to turn it on all I get is the flashing blue light and a black screen. Here's the HDMI output on the back of the PS4. Can anyone who's more knowledgeable about this stuff tell me if there's anything suspect about the way it looks? The HDMI does feel "loose" when I plug it in.

Is that little nub the metal thingy (technical term) everyone's been mentioning? Seems like that could def be an issue for proper functionality, though maybe not.

My hdmi port has that plug in the middle as well but it booted up fine (granted I was only able to play for maybe 15 minutes before going back to work)

On my ps4 that tab is all the way in the back and there even appears to be a slight indent to accommodate the tab, doesn't look like it should interfere with the HDMI connection at all....not sure if all are like this or not however.

JackHerer

Not sure why my thread was closed because my issue with the controller is entirely separate from the actual console issues. But anyway, yes my DS4 has broken after playing with it for only 30 minutes.

The right thumbstick is not working correctly. Tilting it forward does the same as if I had pushed back on it.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
TheOMan said:
So I just had this exact problem, used the cable that Sony provided on a different HDMI port and boom, good to go. Gonna try a few combinations to see if I can narrow down what the exact issue was and will report back.

what firmware?
Original, now at 1.5

purchased from where?
FutureShop.ca

what is your A/V set up like?
HDMI, Optical Out, Wired Lan

what resolution do you want to output in?
1080p

were you able to get any video signal or none at all?
Video signal would flicker in with snow and then go black intermittently, my guess is the handshake was failing.

can you hear audio?
No

So, the way I "fixed" this was by switching cables (using the Sony provided one) and ports on my tv. Now after doing some experimentation, I have come to the conclusion that my HDMI port 1 and the PS4 do not play nice together.

HDMI Port 1 + Aftermarket HDMI cable == Failure
HDMI Port 1 + Sony HDMI cable == Failure
HDMI Port 2 + Aftermarket HDMI cable == Success
HDMI Port 2 + Sony HDMI cable == Success
HDMI Port 1 + Aftermarket HDMI cable + Receiver == Successful television output

So - I'm not sure why Port 1 works with my receiver but not with the PS4. Also of note is that Port 1 with the Aftermarket HDMI cable was working without issue with my launch PS3.

Please feel free to ask any questions or if you want me to try something else, I'm happy to experiment. Also, if you can explain why port 1 and the PS4 will not work, I'd love to know why.

Oh, the TV being used is a Toshiba Regza, 40 inch, circa 2007 (I think?).

...the fuck is that

Mine has that too, on the right side. Surely it's supposed to be there? If you're telling me yours doesn't, then we maybe be on to something. 'Cause my DOA one is like that.

Something here needs to be flatten with a screwdriver i think...

That one in red should not be sticking up (I don't think). The green one is all the way in the back and doesn't touch anything.

Hmm really? Strange. I'm pretty sure both of mine looked like the red one. I didn't have a big piece sticking up like that green one.

I can almost guarantee you you have that piece in the back in the middle (circled in green). It's just all the way to the back and doesn't touch anything. The plastic piece is even cut to allow it to fit there.

Jagxyz

Anyone else get a kinda quiet-ish high pitched hinge sound when the fan/disk starts to go hard? It only lasts for a second or two, like someone is opening a rusty door lol.

Everything works fine though.

vctor182

Man, seeing all these problems is me making scared my unit is faulty.
How about a poll thread for new PS4 owners asking if the have any hardware/software issues or if their console is working as it should?

foxbeldin

someone tried using an active splitter to strip hdcp from the signal?

How about a poll thread for new PS4 owners asking if the have any hardware/software issues or if their console is working as it should?

wouldn't be representative because most people having problems tend to report them while people with no issue won't bother

Smidget

Mine has that too, on the right side. Surely it's supposed to be there? If you're telling me yours doesn't, then we maybe be on to something. 'Cause my DOA one is like that.

I can't join in on that, it's packed up, but I did hear a little broken piece of something moving around in my console when I kinda moved it :/

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009

That one in red should not be sticking up (I don't think). The green one is all the way in the back and doesn't touch anything.

I can almost guarantee you you have that piece in the back in the middle (circled in green). It's just all the way to the back and doesn't touch anything. The plastic piece is even cut to allow it to fit there.

I can't even tell what it is.

Posted this in the official thread, but I thought I would post it here as well.

So trying to update to 1.5, the system rebooted, installed the software, then on its reboot it got hung on a black screen with the light pulsing blue. I let it sit for 15 minutes, and nothing happened. Then, I unplugged the system (the power button wouldn't do anything, even after holding it for a while) and it booted into Safe Mode. I chose to restart the PS4, it restarted into Safe Mode, then restarted itself again automatically, and then logged into the PS4. It's showing 1.5 installed, but it displays an error notification that 1.5 couldn't be installed. So, I restarted the system again, and it restarted just fine, but it still shows a notification that 1.5 couldn't be installed... despite the system saying that it is running 1.5.

It seems to be working correctly now, but who knows!

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Not sure why my thread was closed because my issue with the controller is entirely separate from the actual console issues. But anyway, yes my DS4 has broken after playing with it for only 30 minutes.

The right thumbstick is not working correctly. Tilting it forward does the same as if I had pushed back on it.

There is a tiny hole near the back top on the right of the controller if you flip it over. Use a pin and it should reset it.

RaikuHebi

Banned
Posted this in the official thread, but I thought I would post it here as well.

So trying to update to 1.5, the system rebooted, installed the software, then on its reboot it got hung on a black screen with the light pulsing blue. I let it sit for 15 minutes, and nothing happened. Then, I unplugged the system (the power button wouldn't do anything, even after holding it for a while) and it booted into Safe Mode. I chose to restart the PS4, it restarted into Safe Mode, then restarted itself again automatically, and then logged into the PS4. It's showing 1.5 installed, but it displays an error notification that 1.5 couldn't be installed. So, I restarted the system again, and it restarted just fine, but it still shows a notification that 1.5 couldn't be installed... despite the system saying that it is running 1.5.

It seems to be working correctly now, but who knows!
Does that message keep popping up? You can attempt to reinstall the firmware through Safe Mode and see if it goes well this time, but if it's working fine otherwise then I'd just leave it.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
Is there any permanent solution to people who are having audio troubles at random points using optical output and dolby/dts?

All I know is right now I just flip between linear and digital settings to fix it.

What trouble are you having? I'm using optical out and dolby with no issues.

hardware launches are always going to have issues, and the people with issues are always going to be more vocal (rightfully so) than the people with perfectly operational systems.

You have a year warranty so just play the damn thing and send it back to Sony if anything goes south.

foxbeldin

looks like the pins are not carrying any signal so it's pretty safe to toy with them

280px-HDMI_Connector_Pinout.svg.png

1 TMDS Data2+
2 TMDS Data2 Shield
3 TMDS Data2–
4 TMDS Data1+
5 TMDS Data1 Shield
6 TMDS Data1–
7 TMDS Data0+
8 TMDS Data0 Shield
9 TMDS Data0–
10 TMDS Clock+
11 TMDS Clock Shield
12 TMDS Clock–
13 CEC
14 HEC (HDMI 1.4)
15 SCL
16 SDA
17 DDC/CEC/HEC Ground
18 +5 V Power
19 Hot Plug Detect ou HEC (HDMI 1.4)

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
The BLOD obviously means the system is fucked. That is not an HDMI issue. I doubt it has anything to do with the HDD.

Top Bottom