• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kid Icarus Uprising |OT| On a Wing and a Prayer

Tiktaalik

Nintendo is clearly spending an obscene amount of money marketing this. Hopefully this doesn't end up being another Earthbound or Elite Beat Agents, a game that sells ok, but which is rendered unprofitable due to Nintendo's expectations and marketing costs.

Neiteio

Nintendo is clearly spending an obscene amount of money marketing this. Hopefully this doesn't end up being another Earthbound or Elite Beat Agents, a game that sells ok, but which is rendered unprofitable due to Nintendo's expectations and marketing costs.
What kind of marketing push did they give Elite Beat Agents? Great game, but I don't recall marketing for it. Now Earthbound, on the other hand, received an oversized box with included player's guide and came saddled with expectations of replicating Japan's success, correct?

hatchx

Banned
The lower floor there is akin to what an upper tier-end Tales of release does over its lifetime, while the ceiling there is Kingdom Hearts-debut week levels of success. I am very skeptical about both scenarios.

-Sakurai
-Long-hyped game on Japan's #1 system
-anime style
-huge marketing
-multiplayer
-great art style
-action/adventure
-bigger box than other games
-pre-order bonus

Maybe my prediction is bold perhaps. I think yours is incredibly low.

Tiktaalik

What kind of marketing push did they give Elite Beat Agents? Great game, but I don't recall marketing for it. Now Earthbound, on the other hand, received an oversized box with included player's guide and came saddled with expectations of replicating Japan's success, correct?

Elite Beat Agents did get a commercial. Reggie was quoted as saying he hoped for 300,000 copies sold, but at that time it only sold around 120k. I feel like 120k is not bad for a DS game opening, so that's why I feel like Nintendo's expectations for the title were a bit higher than normal and so they put a bit more marketing dollars on the title.

qq more

Dude, I would love to be wrong but I don't think the game will break a 2 million sales lifetime.

I will gladly eat crow if it does.

more on cards

AR cards unlock idols and hearts in the game
Cards also show character or item info
Scan cards to add the data to your game's 'vault'
First round of cards called Series 1
Serial numbers indicate that there may be upwards of 329 cards
Cards cover every character, weapon, item, and ability
Starter sets at GDC were random packs of 10
AR coding allows for up to 14,348,907 different cards

:faints
Oh god imagine how insane it is going to be when they do this for Pokemon Gen VI. Nintendo is going to become president of the world or Mars or some crazy shit when that happens

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
-Sakurai
-Long-hyped game on Japan's #1 system
-anime style
-huge marketing
-multiplayer
-great art style
-action/adventure
-bigger box than other games
-pre-order bonus

Maybe my prediction is bold perhaps. I think yours is incredibly low.
You are incredibly optimistic for what might as well constitute a new franchise. 300k is not an easily attainable number even for established IPs nowadays, especially when the week after release there's a new Kingdom Hearts title coming out for the same platform. The only way I can see the game reaching such heights is if the multiplayer aspect really takes on and it doesn't debut very frontloaded.

I would love to be wrong though!

hatchx

Banned
You are incredibly optimistic for what might as well constitute a new franchise. 300k is not an easily attainable number even for established IPs nowadays, especially when the week after release there's a new Kingdom Hearts title coming out for the same platform. The only way I can see the game reaching such heights is if the multiplayer aspect really takes on and it doesn't debut very frontloaded.

Are we talking first week or lifetime?

I think it will easily reach 300k lifetime in Japan. I'd put money on it.

EDIT- although I've had a KI display picture the last 6 months. I have an ungodly faith in Sakurai that probably gives me a bias.

Tyeforce

Go on...

Do you mean pre-orders or just anywhere you buy the game at any time? I'm going to order it here later tonight. Where should I set my sights?

Sorry for the late reply, but I don't think anyone else has replied with a list of everything the game comes with, so I'll list it for you here:

• The game, of course
  • A stand for your 3DS to make playing the game more comfortable
  • A pack of 6 random AR Cards
  • A download code for 3D Classics: Kid Icarus if you preorder the game at GameStop, Best Buy, or Amazon (US only)
  • A pack of extra AR Cards (if you preorder the game at participating retailers, Canada/Europe only)
  • Not with the game, but you can get 3 free AR cards from Club Nintendo (US only)

AoElSHOCMAE_1sq.jpg

Yes.
RETURN OF THE CHECKLIST, YESSSSSSS!!

This is why i'm
fapping
hyped:

Motoi Sakuraba [Tales of, Golden Sun, etc.]
Yuzo Koshiro [Castlevania PoR w/ Yamane, Streets of Rage, Revenge of Shinobi, etc.]
Masafumi Takada [Killer7, No More Heroes, Vanquish, God Hand, etc.]
Noriyuki Iwadare [Ace Attorney]
Yasunori Mitsuda [Inazuma Eleven, Xenoblade, Chrono Trigger, etc.]

Ahahahaaaa!

Motoi Sakuraba! Yay!!!

Hooray!

Judging from the dialogue, the game is very Japanese-oriented. Nintendo knows what they are doing. Hell, wasn't this the very first Nintendo 3DS title shown? I'm incredibly surprised that they are choosing to go all-out on the revival of this particular franchise, but I think expecting sub-300k numbers is absurd

(Not that you are absurd mind you... probably just so hurt and jaded from the wrongs of Call of Dudebros that have tainted the industry for so long!)

EDIT: Oh god, you were just talking FIRST WEEK sales?

Uh..

well...

I'M CERTAIN THIS WILL DO AT LEAST 350K ITS FIRST WEEK IN JAPAN, BATMAN TOLD ME SO!

Tyeforce

Checklist has been in all sakurai games since Air ride, dunno why nobody wouldn't expect it to return
Oh, I know, I was expecting it, and if I'm not mistaken it was already confirmed (not by screenshot, though) awhile ago, but it's just really exciting to actually see it again.

I've noticed the skill building puzzle game is similar to the Stickers from The Subspace Emissary from Brawl. You gotta make space in said area to make it all work.

Although I think it's funny I believe out of all the areas in that mode, Skyworld was the most detailed and you spend the most in. I think Sakurai wanted to revive Kid Icarus from the start.

Spike

Sorry for the late reply, but I don't think anyone else has replied with a list of everything the game comes with, so I'll list it for you here:

• The game, of course
  • A stand for your 3DS to make playing the game more comfortable
  • A pack of 6 random AR Cards
  • A download code for 3D Classics: Kid Icarus if you preorder the game at GameStop, Best Buy, or Amazon (US only)
    [*]A pack of 10 extra AR Cards (if you preorder the game at participating retailers, Canada/Europe only)
  • Not with the game, but you can get 3 free AR cards from Club Nintendo (US only)

AFAIK, Canada has a 5-card bonus from EB, and a 3-card bonus from Best Buy. Is there somewhere else I am missing?

Someone already post the unboxing vid?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZ4TV5rVrCI
Seems that fold-outs are the way of the future in terms of Nintendo games. I miss instruction booklets already :(.

lol okay so I can just print off cards?

Cool.
For the in-game scanning you could just scan a picture of it when browsing the internet- no need to print it out.

My prediction is it opens at 375k in Japan. I can see it going as high as 650k though.

200k seems good for the first month (week) in NA. By the end of April, at that rate, it'll easily have sold over 500k.
So it has a better opening than SM3DL? Yeah, no. Mario, even in it's 3D incarnation is far more iconic. If the game gets a good reception it might have legs and a respectable LTD, but don't expect it to be a barn-burner right out of the gate.

edit:
Wait, on second reading it seems you actually consider it could open at 650k? I said wow!

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
So it has a better opening than SM3DL? Yeah, no. Mario, even in it's 3D incarnation is far more iconic. If the game gets a good reception it might have legs and a respectable LTD, but don't expect it to be a barn-burner right out of the gate.

edit:
Wait, on second reading it seems you actually consider it could open at 650k? I said wow!
The multiplayer mode is gonna be a Monster Hunter-killer!#InflatingtheBubble

Tyeforce

AFAIK, Canada has a 5-card bonus from EB, and a 3-card bonus from Best Buy. Is there somewhere else I am missing?
Oops, maybe that was just European countries, or maybe I'm just wrong altogether. Number aside, you still get bonus cards, lol.

Wizpig

I wonder why NoA decided to give out cards for Canada but not other territories.
I clicked thinking they were .pdf cards or something ;_;

NoE, we're waiting for free cards.

So far I've seen

- Cards that come with the game (i think)
- Cards for preorder (not every retailer, same shady shit as other preorder stuff, but at least this is a nice bonus and not some DLC)
- Actual cards selling on Amazon (.de... not other Amazon websites that i've seen)
- Free cards from NoA
- Candies (seriously)

Something tells me the only thing we'll see in Italy are the first two.
I wouldn't mind buying some cards...

Thoraxes

Next anime short is out today!

http://www.nintendo.com/3ds/nintendo-video/detail/-2MV4-h-wbHxZ015c5F-FhUnZvKRRmMg

Kid Icarus 3D Anime
Available on Nintendo Video on: Mar 16, 2012
Genre: Animation
Studio: Studio 4C

Medusa’s Revenge

Learn the tale of Medusa (Goddess of the Underworld) and Palutena's rivalry, which stretches from far into Pit's past right up to the present day.

MMBN3 is definitely my favorite in the series.

Nilaul

This game could be a real killer in Greece if advertised properly. I hope Nintendo of Greece knows what there doing.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Well, now we're at exactly one week before the game comes, so...it should be time for the OP to be udpated!

amazon.de is selling the 24 cards pack at 10,99 euros for those interested

and WTF at Nintendo Greece. First they get awesome preorder bonuses with OOT3D and now this. Get a bloody grip, co.uk

jonno394

amazon.de is selling the 24 cards pack at 10,99 euros for those interested

and WTF at Nintendo Greece. First they get awesome preorder bonuses with OOT3D and now this. Get a bloody grip, co.uk

In regards to the AR cards, What do we get in the UK? Just the 6 pack-in cards?

The price for this game still rubs me the wrong way. I'm just not willing to spend over 40 bucks for a handheld game. Not on 3DS, not on Vita and certainly not for a stupid stand inflating the price.

Aside from that the game looks extremely promising.

Neiteio

I wake up, and damn, still no OP! I know the topic starter is British and was sleeping last night when I was up in America, but now there's no excuse! Now the U.S. will re-join Great Britain just to secede again out of spite.

Tom_Cody

There is a reason that IPs get used over and over again- it is extremely difficult to launch new (or essentially new) IPs.

I'm going with 50k-100k in Japan to start off with. I think it will have legs, but lack of franchise recognition should hurt. The real keys will be 1) will the multiplayer catch on and 2) will the card collection catch on.

Those features aside, it is kind of absurd to expect a portable 3D action game with no franchise recognition to sell more than 1 million copies globally. No Star Fox game since Star Fox 64 has broken a million copies. Even Zelda Spirit Tracks only sold something like 2 million copies globally.

As far as the US, I have no idea. I think there is a chance that it could sell < 200k in it's lifetime. For this to sell more than a million copies it will really have to catch fire.

Top Bottom