• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT3 | Playing with our sticks while petting Jaguars!

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
The only time a V6 F-Type is better than a V8R is if it's an F-Type V6 6MT + ECU. And even, once you feel the explosion of a blown Jag V8...you might even reconsider.

Everyone should experience a supercharged 5-liter Jag at full beans.

I've never driven a Jaguar - period. But man oh man do I love how the F-Type R looks. So, so sexy. Would love to take one for a spin.

Xdye7

I'm not shitting on it. I'm asking why, and stating why I find it bewildering that something like the ZL1's Nurburgring time matters. It's not just this car, either.

The issue is you think the fuzzy line stops where your car ends.

I mean that's just not true at all and I've never said anything like that. There's a gulf a mile wide between a modern 650hp car with aero and a thirty year old car with under 200hp. If you're going to argue at least do so in good faith with me instead of a strawman.

What's quite amusing to me and seemingly everyone else in this thread is when something doesn't cater to your very specific taste and you really put an effort into shitting on it, as if all other perspectives are invalid and inferior to yours.

Dude, the entire basis of your argument towards any outlook on cars and driving is that if it doesn't match your own personal opinion and actions; it doesn't make sense and why should it be?

Multiple people have shared their alternative thoughts on the matter and you refuse to acknowledge them as answers to your own question, as if your way of thinking is the objective truth and nothing can refute it. Yet, you twist your words and ask the same thing over as if there is an answer than can actually satisfy someone so ignorant and short sighted.

Why something matters is completely up to the individual. You cannot choose why something matters to someone else, and your subjective take is not above the rest. There is literally nothing more to be said.

SliChillax

I'd have to look for it but I know I've seen the opinion expressed on a professional level.

I've seen the opinion exrpessed many times and I just don't find it fair. No one who can afford the V8 will buy the V6, and it's not just a status thing. It just feels more raw and special than a V6.

Can we at least please agree this thing looks mean as hell from the front?

Looks even better in grey
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2egyTh5AWqk&index=36

SliChillax

i found the question about the indicator being particularly tounge in cheek in reference to bmw drivers :p

As a BMW driver, the only thing I miss about my Golf is the indicators which actually made sense. BMW indicators are frustrating so I understand why some people just don't use them haha. It's very hard to put the indicator in the middle, everytime I turn it's like I'm using the hazard lights because the indicator stick is so sensitive to movement it goes on the opposite direction. My friends also throw confetti everytime I indicate which is also very annoying.

Futaba

As a BMW driver, the only thing I miss about my Golf is the indicators which actually made sense. BMW indicators are frustrating so I understand why some people just don't use them haha. It's very hard to put the indicator in the middle, everytime I turn it's like I'm using the hazard lights because the indicator stick is so sensitive to movement it goes on the opposite direction. My friends also throw confetti everytime I indicate which is also very annoying.

In the UK bmw drivers have got a *seriously* bad rep for driving wrecklessly, not indicating, parking inconsiderately and generally
hoon
ing it all over the place, so I'm not surprised that this dig was included in something linked to the old top gear team :p

v1lla21

In the UK bmw drivers have got a *seriously* bad rep for driving wrecklessly, not indicating, parking inconsiderately and generally
hoon
ing it all over the place, so I'm not surprised that this dig was included in something linked to the old top gear team :p
BMW drivers have a bad rep everywhere. Lol. Hell even in some OT threads you'll see comments like "typical BMW driver" whenever someone in a BMW does something stupid.

Futaba

Police seem pretty tame so far, just chatting to the drivers and inspecting cars haha, still waiting on everyone to arrive

Dude, the entire basis of your argument towards any outlook on cars and driving is that if it doesn't match your own personal opinion and actions; it doesn't make sense and why should it be?

Multiple people have shared their alternative thoughts on the matter and you refuse to acknowledge them as answers to your own question, as if your way of thinking is the objective truth and nothing can refute it. Yet, you twist your words and ask the same thing over as if there is an answer than can actually satisfy someone so ignorant and short sighted.

Why something matters is completely up to the individual. You cannot choose why something matters to someone else, and your subjective take is not above the rest. There is literally nothing more to be said.
Okay fine, I didn't realize that we all have to marvel at a company taking a road car, making it way too fast for the street and beyond most drivers' capabilities and then setting a fast lap time with it.

Wow. Obviously fast car is fast. Great. Cool.

I'll be sure to keep an eye on them when they show up at track days to crawl around corners in the novice group.

That Drive Tribe thing basically consists of "Do you drive like an a**hole? Yes? Are you sure it's not yes? Are you really, really sure it's not yes?? BMW JERK.

I had to game it to get Audi. And the Transporter is the best movie in that list. Easily.

I, for one, am glad for people needing to purchase cars that they'll never wring even 1/10th of the performance out of to look cool. That's where all the good research happens that winds up in the cars I actually buy later. Not that long ago, an actually safe car with 300+ HP was the stuff of dreams and now that's an upmarket grocery getter.

SummitAve

Banned
I think cars that require you to drive them at 9/10ths the rev limit are just as reasonable as a car that will spend most of its time in the bottom tenth of its range. There's something for everyone, and 99.9% of all cars sold will never have their potential fully realized.

jamsy

Hey GAF, has anyone here gone from an exotic to a more "normal" car?

Here's my situation - I have a 2013 Lotus Evora. Bought it a little over a year ago, when I got this current job as a sort of present to myself, since it's been a car I've always wanted. And for the most part, it's been great - it looks and drives like a million bucks. It's relatively practical. Doesn't consume a ton of gas.

But it's a mid-engine Lotus. That means that I can't just get it serviced anywhere. Even an oil change costs hundreds of dollars. And there's a single "dealer" for all of Northern California which, as far as I can tell, has a single certified mechanic that I need to deal with. I've had a couple minor issues that I've put off getting taken care of because it's such a pain in the ass to get an appointment and drive down there and all that. Not to mention, that the process at Lotus to get anything fixed under warranty apparently involves the mechanic getting in touch with Lotus HQ and they have to approve everything. Again, this takes more time.

So here's the biggest thing - I never get to actually drive the thing. I take public transport to work every day. And when I do drive, I use my other car, which is more easily accessible (the Evora is parked in the rear end of a two car garage, so to take it out, I need to move 2 cars). And on the weekends, I don't really have the chance to take it out much. Realistically I drive it a couple of times a month. (I bought the car with a little under 3k miles. Right now it has about 6.5k miles and most of those were from few trips to Sacramento and one drive down to LA and back.) Which is steep for $700+ a month.

I've been considering selling it an getting something "lesser," like a GTI or something, which would cost less than half of the Lotus, and would be a lot more livable. Hell, even something like an F-Type would be easier to deal with, since there are Jag dealerships all over the place. Then again, if I sell it, I lose a ton of money that I already put in. Anyways, just kinda wanted to get some opinions, as I try to figure this whole thing out.

EDIT: To clarify, the other car isn't just used by me, so I do need a vehicle of my own.

Futaba

YZtFUjh.jpg
The turbo on this D1 spec was big enough to suck up children.

More pics here: https://imgur.com/a/6izW1 though low light and poor quality for some of them because i forgot my DSLR.

Initial meeting place got shut down before even 1/5th of the people had arrived, police physically blocked the entrance and walked around taking pictures of number plates incase anyone was seen driving like a lunatic when they left.

Was going to head down to Daikoku rather than on to the next area everyone else was moving to but entrance to Daikoku had been shut down completely with a police blockade, ended up at the second spot all the JZX had moved to and spent a few hours checking stuff out.

Why the police feel the need to shut down a meet when everyones being super quiet and just standing around talking i'll never understand, whole parking area at the first meet was basically empty too.

Japanese police pulling a
Z7HeRxU.png

KRaZyAmmo

I love the big wing and setup the guy has on that Garage Circus JZX100. The Gazelle Punch Chaser is always nice to see.

I never understood that too. If no one is being an idiot and all of you are just quiet and standing around talking, the police shouldn't be blocking a meet.

matmanx1

Here's my situation - I have a 2013 Lotus Evora. Bought it a little over a year ago, when I got this current job as a sort of present to myself, since it's been a car I've always wanted. And for the most part, it's been great - it looks and drives like a million bucks. It's relatively practical. Doesn't consume a ton of gas.

But it's a mid-engine Lotus. That means that I can't just get it serviced anywhere. Even an oil change costs hundreds of dollars. And there's a single "dealer" for all of Northern California which, as far as I can tell, has a single certified mechanic that I need to deal with. I've had a couple minor issues that I've put off getting taken care of because it's such a pain in the ass to get an appointment and drive down there and all that. Not to mention, that the process at Lotus to get anything fixed under warranty apparently involves the mechanic getting in touch with Lotus HQ and they have to approve everything. Again, this takes more time.

So here's the biggest thing - I never get to actually drive the thing. I take public transport to work every day. And when I do drive, I use my other car, which is more easily accessible (the Evora is parked in the rear end of a two car garage, so to take it out, I need to move 2 cars). And on the weekends, I don't really have the chance to take it out much. Realistically I drive it a couple of times a month. (I bought the car with a little under 3k miles. Right now it has about 6.5k miles and most of those were from few trips to Sacramento and one drive down to LA and back.) Which is steep for $700+ a month.

I've been considering selling it an getting something "lesser," like a GTI or something, which would cost less than half of the Lotus, and would be a lot more livable. Hell, even something like an F-Type would be easier to deal with, since there are Jag dealerships all over the place. Then again, if I sell it, I lose a ton of money that I already put in. Anyways, just kinda wanted to get some opinions, as I try to figure this whole thing out.

EDIT: To clarify, the other car isn't just used by me, so I do need a vehicle of my own.

Hmm, that's tough. I guess it depends on how much of a bath you are going to take by getting rid of the Evora and if there's something else that you would drive more and also enjoy owning. None of your obstacles with the Evora seem insurmountable, so that's good. You could always look at a few options and run the numbers and see what happens.

I know exactly what you mean! But you know what there must some kind of special reason you wanted the evora to begin with. So best thing to rekindle that feeling is to DRIVE!

I go for months without driving my non daily driver...but the moment I start driving it again, the feeling comes back.

North cal autogaf..we really need to have a meet up! I need more reason to go for a drive...

Sanjuro

Hey everybody!

Just picked up my first new car a little over a week ago. 2017 Honda Civic. Love the way it drives so far, coming from an Outback.

Only two snags. New standard AC coolant was never filled. They spend little over an hour and a half looking for crack, nothing showed up. Filled and hasn't been a problem yet.

Now, I've noticed the FM radio signal is almost always static on stations I've never had issue getting.

Bringing it back in later today to check that latter issue. Obviously it feels like the dealer missed some things, but nothing soul crushing...let.

Any feedback or recommendations for other things I should look out for? The dealer isn't really close to me at all which is a hassle.

Another first today after just a week of ownership. I was cruising along on the freeway and as I approached a car on my right I thought to myself, gee that looks just like my car! I put some more electrons in and got close enough to see that it was indeed another Model S.

That was pretty exciting I guess, I've actually seen a few Teslas on this stretch of freeway before (in addition to thousands of Prius and Leaf and even an actual Chevy Bolt) but this was the first time I ran across one going the same way as me on the freeway at the same time.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Another first today after just a week of ownership. I was cruising along on the freeway and as I approached a car on my right I thought to myself, gee that looks just like my car! I put some more electrons in and got close enough to see that it was indeed another Model S.

That was pretty exciting I guess, I've actually seen a few Teslas on this stretch of freeway before (in addition to thousands of Prius and Leaf and even an actual Chevy Bolt) but this was the first time I ran across one going the same way as me on the freeway at the same time.

You are not from seattle. Everything was Model S.

Momentary

Banned
Well I'm about to start doing some stuff the the F-Type R. Taking it in for a tint next weekend and possibly powder coating the Gyrodyne wheels in semi-gloss or glossy black. The quote I got for the paint job was nowhere near as expensive as I thought it was going to be.

If anyone has any other suggestions for the color of the rims I'm all ears. I saw a bronze set on a black F-Type and it looks pretty awesome as well. But I always associate bronze with the STi.

I was looking at maybe a tune, but I think I like the car just fine the way it is right now performance-wise. I've never owned anything above 350HP before this. I think 550HP is good for right now. I feel like if I want more performance I'll just trade this in for something else in a few years.

To tell you the truth, this car is more exciting to drive than the M4 and GTR I test drove. It's just so raw yet elegant at the same time. I literally forgot about those 2 other cars when I heard the rumble of this beast. I have the upgraded Meridian system in there, and it sounds great, but I had to turn it off just so I could enjoy the sound of the supercharged V8.

Rengoku

Well I'm about to start doing some stuff the the F-Type R. Taking it in for a tint next weekend and possibly powder coating the Gyrodyne wheels in semi-gloss or glossy black. The quote I got for the paint job was nowhere near as expensive as I thought it was going to be.

If anyone has any other suggestions for the color of the rims I'm all ears. I saw a bronze set on a black F-Type and it looks pretty awesome as well. But I always associate bronze with the STi.

I was looking at maybe a tune, but I think I like the car just fine the way it is right now performance-wise. I've never owned anything above 350HP before this. I think 550HP is good for right now. I feel like if I want more performance I'll just trade this in for something else in a few years.

To tell you the truth, this car is more exciting to drive than the M4 and GTR I test drove. It's just so raw yet elegant at the same time. I literally forgot about those 2 other cars when I heard the rumble of this beast. I have the upgraded Meridian system in there, and it sounds great, but I had to turn it off just so I could enjoy the sound of the supercharged V8.

Congrats on your F-Type R! Gorgeous car!

I'm pretty fond of the bronze wheels on black car combo too. I recently got some matte bronze wheels for mine and I think they turned out great. Here's some pics to see what it looks like. The wheels look even better in bright sunlight as the color seems to get warmer but I didn't get a chance to take photos of it.

Oh congrats on the tesla.

Now I understand why your so passionate about tesla.

where are you from? In the bay area cali you see model s in every corner. I see like 20 daily.

v1lla21

^^^ now it's always, "what will I see more, tesla, camry, or civic?"
I see a shit load of teslas all day. Remember when I first started spotting em how cool and rare I thought they were... Lol.

Car is looking good, rengoku.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Congrats on your F-Type R! Gorgeous car!

I'm pretty fond of the bronze wheels on black car combo too. I recently got some matte bronze wheels for mine and I think they turned out great. Here's some pics to see what it looks like. The wheels look even better in bright sunlight as the color seems to get warmer but I didn't get a chance to take photos of it.

That is gorgeous. After seeing this, I think I'm going to keep my OEM wheels and powdercoat them to a gunmetal/glossy grey, space out the front 15mm, and the rear 10mm.

That and it's fucking impossible to find wheels for my car in the sizes I need. So I've given up.

AlphaSnake

Okay, wtf. I wasn't even looking for these images. I searched for Jaguar XKR-S to see the caliper covers on them and saw these:

xz4UpV1.gif

Those are 20" HRE wheels, sitting on the full Eibach 1.5 drop. I'm going to track down an OEM Jaguar caliper cover (F-Type or R-S), in addition to wheel spacers. But now, after seeing those pics, I think I'm going to black out my bits of chrome on the front.

Ugh. Fuck you interwebs. I'm going the deep dark hole with this car.

You are not from seattle. Everything was Model S.

Oh congrats on the tesla.

Now I understand why your so passionate about tesla.

where are you from? In the bay area cali you see model s in every corner. I see like 20 daily.

^^^ now it's always, "what will I see more, tesla, camry, or civic?"
I see a shit load of teslas all day. Remember when I first started spotting em how cool and rare I thought they were... Lol..

Apparently over 50% of all Teslas sold are in California. That's probably why you guys are swimming in them.

I'm up here in Washington but outside of Seattle so seeing one is still pretty uncommon. I mean, I see them but only occasionally. When I make it to Seattle proper then I see them more often, especially on the Eastside where Bellevue and Redmond are.

AlphaSnake

Apparently over 50% of all Teslas sold are in California. That's probably why you guys are swimming in them.

I'm up here in Washington but outside of Seattle so seeing one is still pretty uncommon. I mean, I see them but only occasionally. When I make it to Seattle proper then I see them more often, especially on the Eastside where Bellevue and Redmond are.

Curious how large the central Florida market is for Tesla, because I see them about as often as I see a new Camry or Accord. It's incredible how popular they are in the nicer parts outside of Orlando.

SliChillax

Okay, wtf. I wasn't even looking for these images. I searched for Jaguar XKR-S to see the caliper covers on them and saw these:

xz4UpV1.gif

Those are 20" HRE wheels, sitting on the full Eibach 1.5 drop. I'm going to track down an OEM Jaguar caliper cover (F-Type or R-S), in addition to wheel spacers. But now, after seeing those pics, I think I'm going to black out my bits of chrome on the front.

That looks so good but HRE's cost a fortune. Definitely black out the chrome in the front, looks insane.

AlphaSnake

Great look on that XKR-S. Coincidentally the first things I did to my M3, 20" HREs and Eibach springs 👍

34709081903_138efb4930_b.jpg

That's just a regular XKR, identical to mine, down to the (lack of) body kit spoilers. That's why it's weird that those pics showed up, because I wasn't looking for anything XKR related.

It's the internet trolling me.

The turbo on this D1 spec was big enough to suck up children.

More pics here: https://imgur.com/a/6izW1 though low light and poor quality for some of them because i forgot my DSLR.

Initial meeting place got shut down before even 1/5th of the people had arrived, police physically blocked the entrance and walked around taking pictures of number plates incase anyone was seen driving like a lunatic when they left.

Was going to head down to Daikoku rather than on to the next area everyone else was moving to but entrance to Daikoku had been shut down completely with a police blockade, ended up at the second spot all the JZX had moved to and spent a few hours checking stuff out.

Why the police feel the need to shut down a meet when everyones being super quiet and just standing around talking i'll never understand, whole parking area at the first meet was basically empty too.

Japanese police pulling a
Z7HeRxU.png

Thanks for sharing all of the pictures that you took. I need to make it out to 1JZ meeting sometime in the future. Next on the list is HKS Premium day...

And I REALLY do not get Japanese police. While watching some "street dancing" in the Yokohama area (Kinda surreal seeing it for myself after watching a ton of video footage, along with pictures), and we were there for a few hours. Finally when the cops arrived they said something over he PA and parked the car in the middle of the corner. People just casually made their way back to their cars. I was shocked... I'm totally used to booking it, and hiding till I can be picked up if I don't make it back to the car in time.

Then at the Fresh Tokyo car meet... They blocked all of the exits, and even blocked off the street. There were cars all the way back to the highway off ramp exit. No one in, and EVERYONE out (eventually). No one was being stupid, nor causing trouble. It was a real head scratching experience since a few nights before I was out watching cars slide, and the cops were cool with it... Probably there for an hour and a bit before they wanted everyone to close up shop.

They're unicorns out here in the Charleston, SC area. Then again a lot of places here don't even recycle. It's full "fuck the Earth roll coal" around here. :(

Ty4on

Curious how large the central Florida market is for Tesla, because I see them about as often as I see a new Camry or Accord. It's incredible how popular they are in the nicer parts outside of Orlando.
You should come to Norway.

Oslo is especially dense, every short journey I count several. They stick out too because luxury cars aren't that common to begin with. From a distance I often mistake A5s for Model S'.

Rengoku

That is gorgeous. After seeing this, I think I'm going to keep my OEM wheels and powdercoat them to a gunmetal/glossy grey, space out the front 15mm, and the rear 10mm.

That and it's fucking impossible to find wheels for my car in the sizes I need. So I've given up.

xz4UpV1.gif

Thanks! Yeah, those XKR pics look amazing, spacers and drop would look killer. Blacking out the front bits would make the car look pretty stealthy. Should be easily accomplished with plastidip!

Futaba

Thanks for sharing all of the pictures that you took. I need to make it out to 1JZ meeting sometime in the future. Next on the list is HKS Premium day...

And I REALLY do not get Japanese police. While watching some "street dancing" in the Yokohama area (Kinda surreal seeing it for myself after watching a ton of video footage, along with pictures), and we were there for a few hours. Finally when the cops arrived they said something over he PA and parked the car in the middle of the corner. People just casually made their way back to their cars. I was shocked... I'm totally used to booking it, and hiding till I can be picked up if I don't make it back to the car in time.

Then at the Fresh Tokyo car meet... They blocked all of the exits, and even blocked off the street. There were cars all the way back to the highway off ramp exit. No one in, and EVERYONE out (eventually). No one was being stupid, nor causing trouble. It was a real head scratching experience since a few nights before I was out watching cars slide, and the cops were cool with it... Probably there for an hour and a bit before they wanted everyone to close up shop.

Yeah they did that on us too, the youtuber i was there with took some shots as he was leaving), basically the meet started around 8pm, by 8:40 30 or so people had arrived and the police walked around the lot taking pictures and video of all the parked cars, then cordoned off the entrance to the parking area, not allowing any other vehicles in, the company hosting the meet posted up a new location to the attendees (covertly, like) and they quietly made their way there instead.

No police at all at the second location, though it was in a relatively random place.

Swiped this from one of the guys who was there, this was outside the entrance to the parking area (you can see the cops standing around where the entrance is behind the vehicles, flagging down anyone whos car looked like it might be a little... *too* modified.
JxXCqFB.jpg

Bring your ass back to Japan sometime and we'll do our best to get hastled by the police ;)

Had my first complete tire blowout this morning. That was exciting...

Was very pleased with how well the car handled it though. Was able to bring it under control quite easily and get it over to the side and changed, and the wheel took the impact just fine. Worst casualty is one of my knuckles got shredded loosening a lug. Could have been much worse, all told.

I thought all police cars in Japan we're GT-R's?!

My whole life has been a lie!

Those are Skylines though right? If so, I guess it still counts lol.

AlphaSnake

Uhhh, wtf? Just saw this on the road. Took a picture, Googled it...and apparently this is a thing:

ford-mustang-modified-new-ferrari-458-circle-led-taillight-10.jpg

I'll let you guys figure out what car this is. I don't hate the look, to be honest. But the owner is a douche for using those badges.

Thanks! Yeah, those XKR pics look amazing, spacers and drop would look killer. Blacking out the front bits would make the car look pretty stealthy. Should be easily accomplished with plastidip!

My car is currently dropped (as of 2 weeks ago), so I have that part covered. I'm debating if I'll use a dark tint to black out the trim or plastidip. They make glossy sprays now that you can buy from specialty sellers (one of which my friend owns), so I'm gonna text him and order a glossy black dip.

Momentary

Banned
Uhhh, wtf? Just saw this on the road. Took a picture, Googled it...and apparently this is a thing:

I'll let you guys figure out what car this is. I don't hate the look, to be honest. But the owner is a douche for using those badges.

My car is currently dropped (as of 2 weeks ago), so I have that part covered. I'm debating if I'll use a dark tint to black out the trim or plastidip. They make glossy sprays now that you can buy from specialty sellers (one of which my friend owns), so I'm gonna text him and order a glossy black dip.

Is that a Mustang? That is a Mustang. This can't be a thing. Why would someone do this?

Anyway. Just Buffed, Polished, and Waxed the car today. Took me from 0800 to 1400 to finish.
34692613504_40a1351f26_b.jpg

35534039005_7270369cc3_b.jpg

The sparkles in the paint really pop now and the paint swirls are virtually gone.

I will probably pay someone $350 bucks to do this next time. I almost died doing this in the California heat. There is still some wax on the car I've got to rub in, but I was too excited and went ahead and took pictures. Saturday the car will be getting tented. I've found a paint shop that's got good word of mouth in the area and I'll be getting in touch with them tomorrow.

Also. I'm having some serious problems finding spacers and lowering springs for this car. From my understanding I'm going to need an adapter which this company can do.

http://www.motorsport-tech.com/wheel_adapters.html

But I don't know how long the studs need to be. I'll be calling them tomorrow. Seems like a 15mm offset on all 4 wheels is the way to go an dyou'll need to shave the existing bolts by 3mm to make the rim flush with the adapter.

I'm also currently looking at this for lowering springs, but I feel like they are a tad bit expensive

http://www.velocityap.com/Jaguar-F-...ng-Springs-p/vel-jaguarftypesprings003004.htm

Any help is appreciated.

Bandit1

Mustang. I think it actually looks pretty good straight from the rear, not sure if it would look as good overall from say a 3/4 rear shot though.

Top Bottom