• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

As Japanese Switch supply shrinks, consumers form long lines for retail "lotteries"

jariw

Agreed. I wonder how long Nintendo can keep this up making everyone unhappy? A lottery for buying your stuff is absurd. There is no product in this world harder to buy than Nintendo's.

Again, where's your sources for this claim? Was is difficult to get hold of a Wii U? Is it difficult to currently get hold of a 3DS? Is it difficult to currently get hold of a 2DS?

Agreed. I wonder how long Nintendo can keep this up making everyone unhappy? A lottery for buying your stuff is absurd. There is no product in this world harder to buy than Nintendo's.

Ahahahahaha...sure. Have you ever tried to buy a new car everybody wants? Wait 6 months for that if you are unlucky. We orderer something trivial like a a bunch of tubes for our company and we needed to wait 7 months for them!! And they werent anything custom build.

Not to say that the current situation is good for Nintendo but it is still bs what you are saying.

Very happy to see demand for the system go strong, but damn I feel for people waiting in line. Hope most manage to get one.

With that said, interesting how apparently they seem to offer more units of neon and less grey.
Guess Japan just knew what the objectively superior Sku is. :p

Theonik

Before too long Nintendo will be holding battle tournaments where contestants will fight to the death for the limited Switch Stock.

Try and get into men's sneakers. I swear that industry pretends like preorders are just not a thing that exist and can be utilized.

If that's the case, stores here in Taiwan are going to see their import supply dry up right quick.

I'd be surprised if shops here will be getting anymore in the near future.

The thirst is real.
Looks like Nintendo has a real winner

For sure, although I'll be curious to see if this kind of demand keeps up once the stock situation normalises some months down the road. Whether it's intentional or not (more than likely not), the trickle of units is definitely elevating Switch's perception as a hot product.

All that said, sucks for people who aren't able to get one...*hugs Switch*

Tenck

My guess is it's more a matter of not wanting to pay other manufacturers/suppliers more than they're paying their current contractors, in addition to not wanting to risk getting stuck with excess inventory should demand quickly dry out. Nintendo are frugal as fuck, so in that respect, you could argue it's intentional, or rather self inflicted.

Yes they're going to somehow outbid someone like Apple.

giapel

I know it's not what's happening but can someone explain to me the theory of artificial shortages? How does a shortage of something drives demand UP?
Surely, in order to be a shortage, the demand is already there. So you either:

Want one, can't get, will wait until you can
Want one, can't get, get something else
Don't want one.

Is there a big weirdo group that didn't want one but now do because it's in short supply? I don't get it.

Hows the stock for game themselves over there? I'm gonna be there when Arms release but I'd like a physical copy c:
I've only been here for almost 2 years and I haven't seen a game really hard to find except for special editions of games. All stores near me was sold out of the persona 5 special edition except for one store 30 minutes away from me.

I know it's not what's happening but can someone explain to me the theory of artificial shortages? How does a shortage of something drives demand UP?
Surely, in order to be a shortage, the demand is already there. So you either:

Want one, can't get, will wait until you can
Want one, can't get, get something else
Don't want one.

Is there a big weirdo group that didn't want one but now do because it's in short supply? I don't get it.

Scarcity innately creates hype, demand and value for some people.

takriel

And I ordered 3 launch Switches and returned two of them... If I had known about the shortage issues I would have sold them to my friends who want them.

Kieli

Ya I'm not sure either but I love to read the debates about it on GAF.

So is it intentional or not? I find it hard to belive that a world wide company with tons of experience cannot manage it's supply chain properly so I lean on the side of intentional

2 factors.

(1) Consoles have low priority on the silicon. Mobile companies reign supreme because they pay the $$$.

(2) Nintendo is always conservative with sales expectations. Clearly there was a lot of demand with the mini-NES, but they only printed 200k because they were afraid of extra stock.

ranmafan

Well in Japan there is one other product that is even harder to get still, PlayStation VR. They are still in super high demand and there have still not been any in stock or on shelves once, always sold on lottery or by scalpers. People have been and are still mad at the situation going on with that and there's no end in sight to that shortage for Japanese gamers. With switch I've at least once seen them for sell and on shelves. But not for a while. Still I expect Nintendo to fix there supply problems well before Sony's.

Waji

Not anyone else's fault you clearly have terrible taste. Disgaea 5 came out last week.
But it's easy to dislike Disgaea. I would have said instead : "You bought it too early".
In a few months it'll be pretty hard for anyone to let the Switch gather dust.

I'm personaly quite ok with it, and I have to seriously chose what I buy because of money not flowing so much right now.
Currently playing Shovel Knight for the first time and it really goes well with the Switch.
I don't have any problem playing with the joycons.

ChryZ

They should put all potential customers on an island, let them fight, the last person alive should be awarded a Switch. Hm, this would make for a pretty good movie.

MPW-3989.jpeg
They should put all potential customers on an island, let them fight, the last person alive should be awarded a Switch. Hm, this would make for a pretty good movie.

Schlomo

This takes me back to when I was studying in Japan in 2006/2007. The situation was the same back then for DS Lite.

Type_Raver

While it's flattering, and I'm happy for Nintendo, it's Apples iPhone 10 anniversary and no doubt their going to do something special and will need to produce a LOT to meet their own targets.
Apples demands and potential sales for outnumber Nintendo's, and I suspect parts manufacturers will prioritise based on highest potential.

Back handed compliment for Nintendo, playing bridesmaid but have got demand.

PSFan

Not anyone else's fault you clearly have terrible taste. Disgaea 5 came out last week.

I bought Disgaea 5 and my Switch is still not played that much since finishing Zelda. Right now I'd much rather play Yo-kai Watch 2 on my n3DS XL. It's nothing to do with taste. I'll get to D5 eventually, along with the rest of my backlog.

Tamanator

Nintendo are clearly paying these people to line up in order to create the appearance of a supply constrained console to drive artificial demand ala NES Mini.

Because Nintendo

Oregano

I bought Disgaea 5 and my Switch is still not played that much since finishing Zelda. Right now I'd much rather play Yo-kai Watch 2 on my n3DS XL. It's nothing to do with taste. I'll get to D5 eventually, along with the rest of my backlog.

Terrible taste confirmed :p
But it's easy to dislike Disgaea. I would have said instead : "You bought it too early".
In a few months it'll be pretty hard for anyone to let the Switch gather dust.

I'm personaly quite ok with it, and I have to seriously chose what I buy because of money not flowing so much right now.
Currently playing Shovel Knight for the first time and it really goes well with the Switch.
I don't have any problem playing with the joycons.

Even if you don't like Disgaea 5 then the last two weekends have been the Arms Global Testpunch and the game is out in two weeks and if you don't like that there's been a slew of quality eShop stuff like Thumper.

Obviously you're not going to like everything but the "collecting dust" thing is a tired meme.

Ya I'm not sure either but I love to read the debates about it on GAF.

So is it intentional or not? I find it hard to belive that a world wide company with tons of experience cannot manage it's supply chain properly so I lean on the side of intentional

There was never an intentional supply constraint for any console ever. This is an urban legend. Obviously it would make absolutely no sense to not sell as many consoles as you can to increase the user base for your games, this is especially true for Nintendo.

big_z

Still not sure if Nintendo does this on purpose to drive up demand or not, but man it sucks either way.

Nintendo is known to hold back stock and create artificial demand but in this situation they also have to deal with apple for flash nand and hd rumble motors. I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo is holding back some stock in warehouses for the arms and splatoon launches just in case apple decides they want all the manufacturing devoted to them as the new iphone approaches.... apple always gets what they want and everyone else waits.

I see what you did there.
So you are one of those.... you are waiting for that phrase or opinion to be vindicated and you dont give a fuck of everyone telling you are factually wrong.
You are doing a "Korey", congrats.
http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1371675

Terrible taste confirmed :p

Even if you don't like Disgaea 5 then the last two weekends have been the Arms Global Testpunch and the game is out in two weeks and if you don't like that there's been a slew of quality eShop stuff like Thumper.

Obviously you're not going to like everything but the "collecting dust" thing is a tired meme.

But what if it is collecting dust? If those games don't interest him enough to pick up and play his Switch then it is what it is. Y'all need to stop taking these "my console is collecting dust" comments as an attack on the system's software library. You can't please everybody after all.

Oregano

But what if it is collecting dust? If those games don't interest him enough to pick up and play his Switch then it is what it is. Y'all need to stop taking these "my console is collecting dust" comments as an attack on the system's software library. You can't please everybody after all.

If someone went into a PS4 thread and said theirs was collecting dust they would be rightly ridiculed so please spare me the bullshit.

Passose

Banned
Nintendo is known to hold back stock and create artificial demand but in this situation they also have to deal with apple for flash nand and hd rumble motors. I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo is holding back some stock in warehouses for the arms and splatoon launches just in case apple decides they want all the manufacturing devoted to them as the new iphone approaches.... apple always gets what they want and everyone else waits.
we're back to the "artificial demand" shit again

jobrro

PSVR had lotteries too on launch day, as already mentioned.

It's not exactly impossible to get in pre-orders on Amazon at least IF you know when they will go live, which they announced. I think there was about 10 or 15 minutes after they went live you could still order. Yeah that's a slim window but workable if you know when to order.

I honestly wish Amazon just had queuing system. First in first serve for the official product provided by Amazon at the officially listed price as it is available. Limit one per account/address. You can order and just wait until it's ready, if you find one elsewhere you can cancel your order and free up the slot.

I went through the jumping through hoops thing for PSVR and it's not fun. Ended up importing it from the US.

Hopefully the supply issues are sorted soon.

If someone went into a PS4 thread and said theirs was collecting dust they would be rightly ridiculed so please spare me the bullshit.

The PS4 has a much maturer library though. I'm loving my Switch and Zelda/Mario Kart are still proving more than enough of a reason for me to use mine daily, but relatively speaking there still isn't a whole lot of great content to play, at least there are several genre gaps and I can see how someone wouldn't be satiated by its current offerings. Not sure what your issue is with what I said.

Top Bottom