• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch to have a hacking panel at 34C3 this year.

Blam

Hackers Plutoo, derrek, and naehrwert are set to discuss Nintendo Switch hacking during the Chaos Communication Congress (a massive hacking meetup in Germany) this year. The talk is scheduled for one of the days of the Congress, that is sometime between December 27th and December 30th (exact date to be announced).

This is important to the scene, for multiple reasons. First, because it is always interesting to hear about hacks from the hackers themselves. More importantly because Plutoo et. al. have been known to release significant pieces of their work right after their presentations.

In 2015 for example, Smealum, Derrek, and Plutoo released full exploits for the latest 3DS firmware at the time, along will significant information on how to hack the Wii U. Plutoo announced kernel access on the Switch a while ago, and it’s not unrealistic to expect a release along those lines for 3.0.0 owners.

Specifically though, the description of the presentation (see below, original can be found on ccc’s website) does not make any promise of a significant release. So that’s just gut feeling and I’m not pretending I know exactly what these folks have up their sleeves.

Usually at these events there's some sort of big reveal. Do you guys they'll show something new off or release a new exploit available to everyone?

Vitacat

On one hand, I'm a fan of hacking, homebrew, emulation etc. On the other hand, I don't want the Switch hacked (for piracy, which is almost always a byproduct of system hacking) for a long time. It deserves the sales and success it's having.

FStubbs

It's so easy to indies to develop for these platforms now. Plus mobile devices and HTPCs are big now, and these consoles have the same ARM and x86 architectures. Hacking these consoles may not be completely about piracy but that's the vast majority of the use these hacks will have.

I would really love to play my favorite Gamecube and Wii and Wii U games on the Switch. I have the disks but being able to play them on the go would be amazing and I would be happy to buy them again digitally. Nintendo could easily offer us that option but chooses not to.

Ubername

Banned
On one hand, I'm a fan of hacking, homebrew, emulation etc. On the other hand, I don't want the Switch hacked (for piracy, which is almost always a byproduct of system hacking) for a long time. It deserves the sales and success it's having.

It's good people are learning how to get in the machine and use it. It's not a bad thing, even if it does encourage piracy. It's better for the world to have more technical knowledge of how systems work. How much money Nintendo makes doesn't matter to anyone other than Nintendo.

Jezan

Maybe before it's too mainstream Nintendo can reach them and they come to an agreement AND Nintendo releases more VC games before history repeats itself.

NicknameMy

Neo Member
The hacking is for version 3.0 and that version isn't even shipped anymore. So if it works, it will affect a very small audience. Also every game after ARMS will not work.

The hacking is for version 3.0 and that version isn't even shipped anymore. So if it works, it will affect a very small audience. Also every game after ARMS will not work.

What version does mario oddesey require. I can't imagine anyone wasting time with a hack that can't atleast play mario odessey

Yeah. I don't believe Nintendo has had issues in the past with their systems being ripped wide open so I see this as a none issue really.

JP

This is exactly how I feel, I do find this happening to be really interesting though.

I've always wanted a nice Nintendo machine that I could use to emulate ALL the older games that I own and this could finally be that machine...sometime in the future.

jts

...hate me...
No reason why piracy would hurt sales or success of the Switch (hardware), quite the contrary. Software attach ratios could suffer though, but overall, successful systems have lived through a % of piracy without much issue. Wii was crazy pirated, was crazy successful. So was DS. So was PS1 and 2.

Consoles that piracy hurt were mostly already on the path to failure, and piracy just accelerated things.

Jodast

You're probably not getting piracy at the moment anyway. The most Plutoo has acknowledged (publicly at least) is that he has kernel access and for piracy you have to bypass trustzone, the next level down.

You might get lucky and they announce a trustzone exploit or homebrew for 4+ firmware but more likely it will be a fairly dry talk for most people, with an overview of the security, the advances made by Nintendo, the hacking progress made and maybe, just maybe an overview of the kernel hack and what that means for userspace homebrew.

Top Bottom