• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Super Smash Wii U Screenshot Reveals Metroid: Other M Stage ~ Pyrosphere

Neiteio

Ridley's a stage hazard. You can actually see the tip of his beak in the darkness inside the hole shaped like his head on the wall.

Mr. Fix

Speaking as a member - I'd like it if stage and character reveals were given new threads. I, for one reason or another, don't check the updates regularly and I appreciate somebody bringing this tidbit of info to my attention.

Speaking as a mod- No one is going to punish anybody for making threads of this sort. You can keep the main thread up to date as collection of all current info but feel free to make new threads to relay things as well.

That said, this area in Other M works well for Smash I think, despite it housing one of the poorest moments in the Metroid franchise.

Well that's that. It just felt as though stage announcement threads were never really a thing here on GAF. Good to know!

Alright, that settled it. Now that would lead me to sharing my idea to solve the problem with other half of fans that don't really check main threads. The solution is that people should post weekly update (on Friday) after 5 images were posted and people can make a thread out of it and highlight the major updates such as stages, items or small information. That way people (who don't checked main thread) wouldn't miss out the informations.

Like this,

Title: Smash Daily Image (Date to Date) Weekly Update

Body: 5 images with Sakurai's comments and full size images for people who missed out the updates.

For example,

Smash Weekly Aug 12 to 16 - New Item: X-Bomb

Smash Weekly Aug 19 to 23 - New Stage: Metroid

I think this is the best solution.

That said, this area in Other M works well for Smash I think, despite it housing one of the poorest moments in the Metroid franchise.

I know what you're talking about, but I actually thought the fight itself was pretty cool, and the music is definitely one of the best Ridley remixes.

Frodo

The stage looks amazing *____________*

Why do I have to wait until god knows when in 2014 to play this? I need it now, Sakurai, please!

Over Mega Man? Sorry, man, but I strongly disagree. There are few video game characters as iconically representative of the 8-bit Nintendo videogame era as Mega Man. Honestly, Nintendo has no other characters that I could see as a better fit than Mega Man. They've used everyone truly iconic by now. Anything else is just fan service for niche communities.

how about a Koopa Troopa? He's more iconic than everybody that ever was in MegaMan combined.

it's not a collection of videogame history, it's a collection of everything nintendo.

Scoot2005

Banned
If the choice is between getting Other M shit in my Smash and no WiiU version I'll happily skip and get to the superior 3DS version (granted it doesn't have Other M shit smeared in it).

How about... Just never playing on that stage when applicable.

qq more

how about a Koopa Troopa? He's more iconic than everybody that ever was in MegaMan combined.

it's not a collection of videogame history, it's a collection of everything nintendo.

...A generic Mario enemy, seriously? Might as well thrown in Goombas, Boos and Thwomps.

Toxi

Banned
Ridley's a stage hazard. You can actually see the tip of his beak in the darkness inside the hole shaped like his head on the wall.
Huh, I can't see it (Unless you mean the lighter spot, but I'm not sure that's a beak and not just part of the stage). Do you have a pic with the exposure turned up? His eyes definitely aren't there, since they're green in Other M.

Timeaisis

It's just a stage. People are getting worked up over nothing. I didn't like Other M either, but, the stage look pretty. It's one screenshot. Let's not pass judgement so quickly.

Neiteio

Huh, I can't see it (Unless you mean the lighter spot, but I'm not sure that's a beak and not just part of the stage). Do you have a pic with the exposure turned up? His eyes definitely aren't there, since they're green in Other M.
I'm not actually sure, but definitive statements are more fun!

Seda

Alright, that settled it. Now that would lead me to sharing my idea to solve the problem with other half of fans that don't really check main threads. The solution is that people should post weekly update (on Friday) after 5 images were posted and people can make a thread out of it and highlight the major updates such as stages, items or small information. That way people (who don't checked main thread) wouldn't miss out the informations.

Like this,

Title: Smash Daily Image (Date to Date) Weekly Update

Body: 5 images with Sakurai's comments and full size images for people who missed out the updates.

For example,

Smash Weekly Aug 12 to 16 - New Item: X-Bomb

Smash Weekly Aug 19 to 23 - New Stage: Metroid

This sounds fine to me. In each 'Smash Weekly' you can link to the previous weekly threads and the main thread. The only potential problem is that discussion might be a bit split between the weekly threads and the main thread, however it solves the problem of relaying the information to people who are not subscribed to your thread.

Marty: What, is there something wrong with my Other M art direction in the future or something?

Doc: No Marty!! It's your script!! Something has to be done about your writting!!

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I'd argue that Mega Man Classic is more Nintendo than Wii Fit or Other M.
Wouldn't be surprised if more people bought a Wii for Wii Fit than people bought an NES for Megaman.

Bit silly to say a third party character is more Nintendo than Wii Fit just because you're not a fan of the game.

Sagitario

I liked that Ridley fight, plus THE MUSIC (which was the only piece of sound I remember from Other M :\)

I hope there is some Prime love too (both in stages, items and score).

More stages like the Pilotwings one would be cool.

Wouldn't be surprised if more people bought a Wii for Wii Fit than people bought an NES for Megaman.

Bit silly to say a third party character is more Nintendo than Wii Fit just because you're not a fan of the game.

The people who bought Wii Fit aren't the kind of people who are going to buy Smash Bros. Or video games in general.

I'd argue that Mega Man Classic is more Nintendo than Wii Fit or Other M.

Wii Fit is extremely important to modern Nintendo and i never said that every character needs to be important, there are also many fun smaller characters left. thousands of good suggestion, i don't need or want third party characters.

Koopa is not generic he's an important part of the mario franchise and by far more recognizable than most of the cast.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
The people who bought Wii Fit aren't the kind of people who are going to buy Smash Bros. Or video games in general.
I'm sure they will
for their children

If your argument is that Megaman is more of a videogame than Wii Fit thus it is more "Nintendo" I guess you'd argue this isn't Nintendo:

y2N4NKel.jpg

Which would be beyond silly.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Marty: What, is there something wrong with my Other M art direction in the future or something?

Doc: No Marty!! It's your script!! Something has to be done about your writting!!

Marty: What, is there something wrong with my Other M art direction? Is my gameplay ass or something?

We saw the post the first time round.

My favorite part of Smash Bros. threads is people arguing whether something "deserves" a space or whether or not it's "Nintendo" enough.

Regiruler

Were there threads for any of the other stages that have been confirmed since the reveal?

Wait wrath of the reset bomb is in!? Bleh.
Why couldn't they use one of the
aurum
stages instead?

EDIT: If I am not mistaken, this is the metroid stage they used in DoAD, correct?

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
This sounds fine to me. In each 'Smash Weekly' you can link to the previous weekly threads and the main thread. The only potential problem is that discussion might be a bit split between the weekly threads and the main thread, however it solves the problem of relaying the information to people who are not subscribed to your thread.

It's possible that the problem might happened but we need to add couple of rules that discussion for weekly thread will be only for 5 images/comments of this week and the past informations are welcome as well. New information are not welcome until new weekly thread has created, so that way weekly thread wouldn't become too much like main thread and main thread wouldn't lose it's purpose. It's possible that it could backfired on us.

Toxi

Banned
As he should be since Boss battles might be gone.
I highly doubt that boss battles are gone, but I can see Ridley sitting out this time around. He already got two boss battles in Brawl, a third one would feel redundant.

I'm fine with him as either a playable character or a stage hazard.

To everyone concerned that we got an Other M stage instead of a Prime stage, there were two Metroid stages in Super Smash Bros. Brawl, one based on the main series, the other on the Prime series. There could easily be a Prime stage as well. This does not rule out that possibility.
What are these Prime games you speak of? Everyone knows that Metroid games are only made in glorious Nippon.

ugoo18

I highly doubt that boss battles are gone, but I can see Ridley sitting out this time around. He already got two boss battles in Brawl, a third one would feel redundant.

I'm fine with him as either a playable character or a stage hazard.

What are these Prime games you speak of? Everyone knows that Metroid games are only made in glorious Nippon.

I certainly hope they aren't gone but with Subspace being cut they might go as well since they were a big part of Subspace.

RagnarokX

Man, the hate for Other M is insane. The game was mediocre, but the amount of vitriol people are expressing just for referencing it is crazy. The problems with Other M, the bad writing, the long monologues, the mediocre plot, the boring level design; they have no part in Smash.

Truthfully, if Samus is as agile and powerful in Smash as she was represented in Other M she'd be a better character to play as. The Ridley fight itself was totally badass.

Also, this stage is by far the best-looking Metroid stage so far in Smash. Brawl's stages were especially disappointing. Norfair was just generic platforms floating in front of a nice background with a really annoying stage hazard and Orpheon was generic platforms floating in front of a background that didn't properly represent Prime. This Pyrosphere stage looks really good and much more care has been put into properly theming it. The main platform is actually part of the level.

I wish other stages had as much care put into them. The Skyward Sword stage is especially disappointing.

jmls1121

Banned
If the choice is between getting Other M shit in my Smash and no WiiU version I'll happily skip and get to the superior 3DS version (granted it doesn't have Other M shit smeared in it).

LOL, incredible. They could throw some chozo statues and it would look prime 1.

No one is forcing you to play Other M as a prerequisite.

Toxi

Banned
Man, the hate for Other M is insane. The game was mediocre, but the amount of vitriol people are expressing just for referencing it is crazy. The problems with Other M, the bad writing, the long monologues, the mediocre plot, the boring level design; they have no part in Smash.
Uh, you do realize we're talking about a stage, right? Other M's boring level design (And Sakurai's baffling obsession with lava in Metroid stages) means that we got a boring-ass stage.

Yes, it looks more realistic than a floating platform over lava, but it's still just another Metroid stage with a platform over lava.

VARIA

Recycling a stage from Dead or Alive: Dimensions? Really lazy Nintendo.

I have my fingers crossed for Ryu from Ninja Gaiden as a playable character though.

Hey, don't forget the bland as shit environment designs and terrible, terrible character/creature designs, which do have some impact on Smash.

You know it's just a stage, right? It's not like you're being made to play Other M. So what if it's referencing a crappy game if the stage looks good and plays great? Give me a break.

Looks really cool, I'm not complaining. I didn't love Other M but the stage they're using from it looks nice at the very least.

TrueBlue

Truthfully, if Samus is as agile and powerful in Smash as she was represented in Other M she'd be a better character to play as. The Ridley fight itself was totally badass.

Also, this stage is by far the best-looking Metroid stage so far in Smash. Brawl's stages were especially disappointing. Norfair was just generic platforms floating in front of a nice background with a really annoying stage hazard and Orpheon was generic platforms floating in front of a background that didn't properly represent Prime. This Pyrosphere stage looks really good and much more care has been put into properly theming it. The main platform is actually part of the level.

I wish other stages had as much care put into them. The Skyward Sword stage is especially disappointing.

Aye. A lot of people dislike/hate NSMB and Skyward Sword, but I don't think I ever saw this much of a negative reaction to stages from those games making it in.

Aye. A lot of people dislike/hate NSMB and Skyward Sword, but I don't think I ever saw this much of a negative reaction to stages from those games making it in.
There are those that dislike NSMB and SS, but the hate Other M gets is on a whole other level.

Which is fair, because Other M is a much worse game than SS or any NSMB.

rekameohs

Banned
Dozens of unique, expressive, beautiful 3D environments to choose from in the Prime series, and a boring industrial zone is chosen...again. With lava....again.

Top Bottom