• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NAMCO-BANDAI, SEGA and others shifting focus towards Wii/DS

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeoVGM

Banned
CrushDance said:
I'm pretty sure Darkness is being sarcastic guys. o_O

Edit: Are we going to have this Wii will ruin everything discussion AGAIN!?

There are still people insane enough to believe it.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
DarknessTear said:
All I have to say is: If Nintendo wins, we lose. The world will be full of minigames and non-games geared towards nongamers and they'll completely ignore the core gamer except for once or twice a year.

yeah the ds has so little games for the normal gamer.....

Krowley

DarknessTear said:
All I have to say is: If Nintendo wins, we lose. The world will be full of minigames and non-games geared towards nongamers and they'll completely ignore the core gamer except for once or twice a year.

All I have to say is, if sony wins, we lose. Every future game console will be overblown with a 500+ dollar pricetag and the gaming industry will slowly die as a result.

Hyperbole can work both ways :D

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Bluemercury said:
Now that you mention this i've tried alpha 3 for the psp of my brother who also loves fighter's and it really stinks for these type of games. That damn dpad. Still great system if you use the analog pad that is.....

I modded my PSP d-pad for SFA3M. I don't regret it, it's become my favorite fighter... ever.

cvxfreak

This news really shouldn't be very surprising, unless these companies want to take a royal dump on their Japanese fanbase.

Defuser

Krowley said:
All I have to say is, if sony wins, we lose. Every future game console will be overblown with a 500+ dollar pricetag and the gaming industry will slowly die as a result.
At least it's better than mini games and non games.

Krowley

Defuser said:
At least it's better than mini games and non games.

I'm very doubtful of that theory..

Long term success for the wii will result in more software like that, but there will be plenty for us as well and developers will find ways to straddle the fence by releasing games that appeal to all types of gamers (including the hardcore).

If the wii wins, and 5 years from now we're drowned in mini games with a huge shortage of hardcore titles, I'll gladly change my tune.

I expect the DS model to apply.

Kafel

Banned
soundwave05 said:
I really wish they'd make a new 2D Mario, or a new Contra, or some good Castlevania games, or a good Zelda for the DS instead of all these Brain Training games. And would it kill a developer to make an RPG for the DS? Like a Dragon Quest or a Final Fantasy, maybe?

Damn, at least give us a Mario Kart DS or something.

:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol

soundwave05 said:
Yeah because that really happened on the DS :lol

With the Wii they're mainly focusing on nongamers. It's their main selling point for the console, hence all the "look at geezers play the Wii! They're enjoying it! Wowzers!"

DarknessTear said:
With the Wii they're mainly focusing on nongamers. It's their main selling point for the console, hence all the "look at geezers play the Wii! They're enjoying it! Wowzers!"

Same ... exact ... story ... in 2005.

The DS turned out fine, so will the Wii. We have a thread just today where Nintendo is hiring NICOLE KIDMAN to market the DS ... obviously they're still heavy on emphasizing the DS for broader markets.

It hasn't stopped the DS from getting a ton of great traditional games.

ZeoVGM

Banned
DarknessTear said:

.. Uh, that's what they did with DS too.

Yeah, you already were proven wrong. Just stop.

Tristam

lol. I'm waiting for Ynos to come in here after his claim that "every Sony topic is ruined by trolls" (as opposed to the Nintendo topics, since everybody loves Nintendo).

Flakster99

I was hopping these companies would come around. High sales = more content, it's good business sense.

And to those that are fear mongering, saying our future lies in family content, casual and mini/non-games if the Wii wins next gen, I think some of you need a reality check.

Name a leading console(s) that did not have a majority of it's content family accessible, appealing to a broad demographic. These non-games fit in nicely with all purpose family content.

USD

My big question is what type of games are we going to get. That will determine how much this means to me. I guess it's just waiting for E3/TGS, like everything else.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
DarknessTear said:

That's FUD. The best selling game on Wii is still Zelda, and the market for those is huge, you'll have them for sure. But as new gamers enter the market through the Wii they'll eventually climb the ladder. Nintendo's plan, ever since the DS(and you'll see hints of this everywhere, including Miyamoto's latest keynote where he talks about his wife, and how she became "hardcore"), was to get everyone back to the same starting point interface-wise so that new people can learn how to enjoy games like we did one day. But eventually even these people will want deeper and more diverse things, and that content will have to be there on the Wii.

Flakster99 said:
I was hopping these companies would come around. High sales = more content, it's good business sense.

And to those that are fear mongering, saying our future lies in family content, casual and mini/non-games if the Wii wins next gen, I think some of you need a reality check.

Name a leading console(s) that did not have a majority of it's content family accessible, appealing to a broad demographic. These non-games fit in nicely with all purpose family content.

Hi, Reggie. :)

We have already seen from the quality of some of their games that they don't really have the resources to be making too many hi-def games right now so this outcome is not at all suprising.

The situation will change in line with sales if the PS3 or 360 can mount a decent sales run in Japan. But really as long as we get VF, Tekken, VT, Sega Rally et al in hi-def, who really cares?

I find it somewhat ironic that 360 threads are seemingly the only threads safe from trolling aside from the odd "bald space marine" comment here or there.

AntMurda

What I am really hoping for is some good Atlus support. After the abomination that was Snowboard Kids SBK (how did they ruin this!!) and the excellent Trauma Center. I would like some more Atlus R&D1 games.

Here is a nice list of good ideas for games.

Atlus
Persona: Revelations (NDS)
Persona: Eternal Punishment (NDS)

Krowley

Systems_id said:
I find it somewhat ironic that 360 threads are seemingly the only threads safe from trolling aside from the odd "bald space marine" comment here or there.

There's plenty of room to attack 360 for quality issues and there seems to be plenty of that (thankfully). According to all reports, it's the most failure prone console of all time... Also the bald space marine problem is real. Too much sci-fi shooter stuff on the 360. Too many militaristic games.. Too many explosions and too much overblown hollywood drivel.

Everybody deserves their share of hate.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
i dont want geezers playing games! that makes it uncool and totally not the reason why i want to play gamesssss

oh, and bandai, please please please leave .hack on PS2 or PS3. its perfect as it is!

ivysaur12

Banned
I'm shocked. Shocked.

Now I wonder if this goes together with the mysterious Japanese company that says they put crap on the Wii in order to get money?

Pachael

Like I said earlier, third parties won't take long to turn to the Wii/DS. The large userbase is now too hard to ignore.*

That said, gamers should join me in celebrating games/consoles with high sales regardless - the more minigames for everybody, the better!**

* Especially if you own Nintendo stock.
** For all the non-Nintendo supporting folk, 'core gamer'? Time to look for a new hobby, methinks while 'non-core gamers' like the most of the world will be happy playing their Wiis and DSes with great, high-selling software.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
ivysaur12 said:
I'm shocked. Shocked.

Now I wonder if this goes together with the mysterious Japanese company that says they put crap on the Wii in order to get money?
I thought it was Namco-Bandai or Capcom... not sure who it is now.

Krowley said:
There's plenty of room to attack 360 for quality issues and there seems to be plenty of that (thankfully). According to all reports, it's the most failure prone console of all time... Also the bald space marine problem is real. Too much sci-fi shooter stuff on the 360. Too many militaristic games.. Too many explosions and too much overblown hollywood drivel.

Everybody deserves their share of hate.
This is all pretty much true but it's getting tiresome to see nearly every thread about a hardware maker devolve into "LOL MS HAZ FAULTY HARDWARES", "SONY $599 LOLZ", or "WAGGLE WILL KILL THE GAMING INDUSTRY!11!1!!!". I've already admitted that I'm not too keen on Nintendo's current domination but this shit has to stop. It's brought down too many great threads and has made Gaming Discussion nigh-unreadable at times.

ivysaur12

Banned
jj984jj said:
I thought it was Namco-Bandai or Capcom... not sure who it is now.

I thought that we decided it couldn't be Capcom after Zack and Wiki + Umbrella Chronicles, and it couldn't be Konami because of Elebits and Dewey.

Tristam

Systems_id said:
This is all pretty much true but it's getting tiresome to see nearly every thread about a hardware maker devolve into "LOL MS HAZ FAULTY HARDWARES", "SONY $599 LOLZ", or "WAGGLE WILL KILL THE GAMING INDUSTRY!11!1!!!". I've already admitted that I'm not too keen on Nintendo's current domination but this shit has to stop. It's brought down too many great threads and has made Gaming Discussion nigh-unreadable at times.

Agreed. It's f***ing System Wars all over the place here.

Zeed

Banned
CrushDance said:
I'm pretty sure Darkness is being sarcastic guys. o_O
:lol Check his history. He's either got amazing stamina...or he's for real.

On Wii Owners:
DarknessTear said:
Yes a lot of Wii owners like to say (insert game) would be better on Wii... because Nintendo fans never get games.
On The Wii (lol):
DarknessTear said:
I don't really see how a system with like 2 games worth playing (one of them is playable on the Gamecube) can meet your expectations unless you're basing your expectations on N64 and Gamecube, then I guess it's okay... because Wii is seeming to go the same way as the N64 and GC.
On Atlus (ROFL):
DarknessTear said:
Atlus tries to put as much Satanism in everything as possible. :p

Atlus is 50% satanic cult 50% game company.

Edit: Oh and I forgot to say that you're full of shit because I never said Atlus sucked because their games were Satanic. I just said it was an issue and that they needed to at least attempt to leave their satan references out of SOME of their R&D1 games.

He also has a habit of posting parts of songs in completely random threads:

DarknessTear said:
When you wish upon a star
Makes no difference who you are
Anything your heart desires
Will come to you
DarknessTear said:
They're off to find the hero of the day
But what if they should fall by someone's wicked way?
Still the window burns, time so slowly turns
Someone there is sighing
Keepers of the flames
Do you feel your names?
Do you hear your babies crying?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom