• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SuperData:PlaystationVR will be $400-600, estimates 38million VR devices sold in 2016

WolvenOne

Just, my two cents. I'll probably skip getting VR in 2016, but in 2017 I think I'll make the plunge. That gives the various powers that be time to flesh out game libraries, take care of any technical issues, figure out which platforms they most want to support, etc etc etc.

My biggest concern right now with VR, is that we're seeing a fairly large number of competing standards. Hopefully the actual game developers do a good job supporting all of them, at least until the market decides which VR sets it is most willing to support.

Check out the Gear VR gaf thread and the subreddit.

I don't just game, I watch entire 3D movies with the damn thing.

GAF is not that representative of the mass market, sorry.

You don't need to convince me that the tech is impressive and that it can make for highly immersive experiences. But it's naive to think that that'll translate into mass market adoption anytime soon.

I think (hope) that the PSVR Helmet + hdmi box will be $400.00, but the bundle with camera + 2 moves + earphone(?) will add $100.00 easily.

I'll bite the helmet+box for $400.00, but the full bundle will need to be $300.00 to be popular.

Yeah, I don't know if they can really do $300 which would really help it get popular but I'd bite at $350-$400. I hope they can atleast get in that range.
I'd really like to be able to get one and get onboard early experiencing it and playing some of these games after hearing all of the impressions over the past year.

HotHamBoy

You don't need to convince me that the tech is impressive and that it can make for highly immersive experiences. But it's naive to think that that'll translate into mass market adoption anytime soon.

It's first gen cutting edge tech. It's not for tge masses. But it will be. Sony, Oculus and HTC know this. Sony has been pioneering tech for decades.

platocplx

oculus set the price standard for the industry today. Sony at least 1st gen only has to come a little under that if they want to they can go for 499 and be okay based if they can make a profit based on how oculus is priced. Mind you even a gearVR at 100 dollars of the headset requires a phone which sells at minimum 500 so about 600 bucks to get into a gearVR.

From my own experience with the PSVR it. It will be max the same price as the the oculus rift or maybe at min 50 to 100 below. Sony is stressing to be profitable so they will not be selling this hardware at a loss but I do know they are masters at refining hardware manufacturing where you can see the price drop pretty quickly if they need to do so.

I think some of you need to temper your price estimates based on what the trend is.

Again the standard price today as it stands for decent VR is about 600 dollars based on whats out there with the GearVR(Samsung Phone) and now the Oculus Rift.

This is how it always happens with new tech early adopters who have a disposable income then they switch to penetrate mass sales.

For example right now a 4k Bluray player was just announced this week. its price? 399.99. 4 times the price of a 1080p blu ray player.

Dont worry your price point will come, just wont be this year for VR if you are expecting anything less than 450-500 imo.

Elandyll

Banned
I honestly think everything they are predicting will turn out wrong.

First, nearly 15m VR sets sold in 2016 (outside the base/ mobile)? No. No way.

Second, PSVR price. No way will it be above $399, and I'm thinking more like $299 more and more.

Last, order of sales. With an install base of 40m+ by the time it launches (of which 100% will be VR capable), with a simpler plug and play concept, I could see PSVR being far and away the #1 VR set of the bunch, or at least much closer.

It's first gen cutting edge tech. It's not for tge masses. But it will be. Sony, Oculus and HTC know this. Sony has been pioneering tech for decades.

I can certainly believe that some form of VR is, if not "the" future of gaming, at least a significant part of it.

But I don't believe that any implementation of VR involving a bulky headset that cuts off all external visual input will ever be more than niche.

(While prohibitively expensive for now, HoloLens looks like a more viable avenue in the long term.)

HotHamBoy

People keep talking move and ps eye but that's hardly required. The DS4 the PS4 comes with is more than adequate as an input device. Another price advantage over Oculus, which is forcing a bundle.

Mifune

Mehmber
One thing to consider is Sony's yields for PS VR. If yields are going to be low then pricing it above $400 makes a lot of sense.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
My bet is on $/€400. More expensive than a PS4, but not shockingly so. If they go much higher than that it's gonna bomb.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
People keep talking move and ps eye but that's hardly required. The DS4 the PS4 comes with is more than adequate as an input device. Another price advantage over Oculus, which is forcing a bundle.

The camera (which isn't called PS Eye anymore, btw) absolutely is required, it's an essential component of PSVR. You're right about Move though.

Oculus is essentially saying the same about the Rift and it turned out to be $599.

Oculus doesn't routinely make and build hardware though. Sony may be able to do the actual building cheaper maybe. There's a reason a number of outlets sighted the PSVR as subjectively the most comfortable, this is the part that Sony is the most set up for.

Mifune

Mehmber
I can certainly believe that some form of VR is, if not "the" future of gaming, at least a significant part of it.

But I don't believe that any implementation of VR involving a bulky headset that cuts off all external visual input will ever be more than niche.

(While prohibitively expensive for now, HoloLens looks like a more viable avenue in the long term.)

What you describe ("cuts off all external visual input") is the point of VR.

And you have to be joking about HoloLens.

HotHamBoy

The camera (which isn't called PS Eye anymore, btw) absolutely is required, it's an essential component of PSVR. You're right about Move though.

Oh, right, for head tracking. My mistake. But that may actually make the actual hardware cost even less since that is being handled by the camera and not the headset.

Makes me wonder how long it will be before a new generation of headsets comes out. If these are refreshed every couple of years, or PSVR becomes obsolete with the release of the PS5 and a new headset, will people be willing to spend that every 2-3 years? Consoles live at these kinds of price points because they are pretty much guaranteed to be supported and not refreshed every couple of years. Can an accessory live at that price point without offering the same thing?

Have you tried it yet?

Yep. I tried the OR at Gamescom two years ago. A racing game and a weird puzzle game or whatever it was. I didn't do much for me. But i do would like to try out a horror game with it. But i know for sure this is not meant for every single gaming genre.

oculus set the price standard for the industry today. Sony at least 1st gen only has to come a little under that if they want to they can go for 499 and be okay based if they can make a profit based on how oculus is priced. Mind you even a gearVR at 100 dollars of the headset requires a phone which sells at minimum 500 so about 600 bucks to get into a gearVR.
If Gear VR costs $600 to get into because you need a phone then you might as well say Oculus costs $1500 because you need the PC.

Not many are really going to buy a phone just to get Gear VR, you're either going to use Gear VR to sway your decision on what phone to buy as your daily driver or you already own a Galaxy-line phone and think 'yeah, let's check that out'.

AHA-Lambda

*Googles cardboard VR*

DODOcase_VR5_1024x1024.jpg

Wait, someone tell me this is a joke, right?

This is expected to sell 27m?

Oh, right, for head tracking. My mistake. But that may actually make the actual hardware cost even less since that is being handled by the camera and not the headset.

Yeah. Though I think it's still true since their required camera can already be bought so they still seemingly have the most likely shot at an optional package that doesn't need to include either accessory.

autoduelist

Oculus doesn't routinely make and build hardware though. Sony may be able to do the actual building cheaper maybe. There's a reason a number of outlets sighted the PSVR as the most comfortable, this is the part that Sony is the most set up for.

This. A thousand times this. Sony is a hardware company, and as such already has the entire range of hardware related tasks already well in hand -- from research through sourcing and production and distribution. Facebook and Oculus do not have nearly the same depth in those areas, and as such Sony would be in a better position to sell identical tech at the same price, let alone 'lesser' tech.

I don't think any of the major players are playing the short game. I think they all know in 10 or 20 years VR will be a dominant way to experience stuff, and they want in on the ground floor... even if it isn't a runaway success.

In 20 [or whatever, maybe sooner if the tech catches on and advances like mobile tech did] years, we'll have meetings in vr, classrooms in vr, vacations in vr, hang out with buddies in vr, game in vr. These companies want to dominate that future market by carving out a space now.

papo

If PSVR costs above what PS4 costs I will be severely disappointed.

I mean I wish it was cheaper than it was right now, $350, but I know it won't happen. If it's even one cent above what the PS4's price was at launch they I will be truly pissed off.

I mean I would have rather paid 500 or 600 for a better console with better specs, since we are seeing some limits to them this early on, instead of the 400 console and 400 VR set. My point is it would suck that they made this much effort to push us into VR at this price point but couldn't make a better console to start with.

HotHamBoy

Yep. I tried the OR at Gamescom two years ago. A racing game and a weird puzzle game or whatever it was. I didn't do much for me. But i do would like to try out a horror game with it. But i know for sure this is not meant for every single gaming genre.

Two years ago you tried some demos at a convention. Things have progressed...

Mifune

Mehmber
I think it will be 500 bucks. VR isn't cheap. It's not meant to achieve mass market adoption out of the gate.

What you describe ("cuts off all external visual input") is the point of VR.

And you have to be joking about HoloLens.

Then it's a shitty point if it's intended to appeal beyond a niche of hardcore gamers. I do not believe that that's how most people want to consume their entertainment, at least for extended sessions.

PC VR (Oculus/Vive) - 6.6 million
High-End Mobile (GearVR) - 2.5 million
Playstation VR - 1.9 million

Amusing. The Oculus and Vive would be a success if they ever can reach that number of sales. Fail to see how PSVR is gonna do the least when 1. it's likely to be the cheapest 2. mainstream product with huge marketing push 3. will have actual presence in stores

*Googles cardboard VR*

DODOcase_VR5_1024x1024.jpg

Wait, someone tell me this is a joke, right?

I received one as a Christmas present. (They're super cheap.) It more or less is a joke. The kinds of experiences you get there are barely tech demos and do little more than show you that VR could be cool with better tech. (That's what I got out of it anyway.) That's valuable in its own right, but not something people are going to actually seek out for entertainment purposes for any sustained period of time.

Figuring those into their estimates is ridiculous. Cardboard VR isn't a real product.

Yopis

Going by how cheap most console owners are. Anything over 39.99 will flop. If this prices out the broke then people will just say it sucks and start a wave of negativity.

HotHamBoy

Makes me wonder how long it will be before a new generation of headsets comes out. If these are refreshed every couple of years, or PSVR becomes obsolete with the release of the PS5 and a new headset, will people be willing to spend that every 2-3 years? Consoles live at these kinds of price points because they are pretty much guaranteed to be supported and not refreshed every couple of years. Can an accessory live at that price point without offering the same thing?

It's more of a platform than an accessory, it just happens to have dependency issues.

And VR is going to be refreshed like cellphones. Expect new models every 9-12 months, for sure. Maybe not for PS VR seeing as their's is a unique position, but definitely for Oculus and Vive. Every tech breakthrough is going to improve comfort and immersion substantially, so much so that no one will want to use or return to older devices at all. But price is going to come down too, and eventually things will get to a "good enough" point where people hold on to their headsets for longer. I would say in 5 years it will be mainstream, but I think people are wrong in thinking this is something that needs to explode out of the gates this year. Acclimation is going to take time, the tech will only get better and more affordable, and by then there will be a ton of content because plenty of folks will be invested.

VCRs were like 2k when they first came out in the 70s, it wasn't until the mid 80s that the home video market exploded.

Mifune

Mehmber
Then it's a shitty point if it's intended to appeal beyond a niche of hardcore gamers. I do not believe that that's how most people want to consume their entertainment, at least for extended sessions.

Then why are you even discussing VR, since that's what VR is. It's like me opining about garden tools when I have no interest in gardening.

And it is going to appeal to more than hardcore gamers. It's just going to take time.

HotHamBoy

Only the first couple gens are intended for niche test markets. Nothing this new and different is immediately mainstream, we are talking something akin to TV vs Radio. Radio didn't go anywhere, but TV also was a luxury for years. It's not a replacement, it's another pillar.

Now consider old TV vs the TVs we have today, even the CRTs. And look how long it took for HD TVs to becomes the norm.

jaypah

Amusing. The Oculus and Vive would be a success if they ever can reach that number of sales. Fail to see how PSVR is gonna do the least when 1. it's likely to be the cheapest 2. mainstream product with huge marketing push 3. will have actual presence in stores

Yeah I expect those sales to be reversed which is great for Sony and also great for people like me who will primarily use PC VR. I need Sony to knock it out of the park so that as many devs as possible create games for VR since a lot of people see to agree that there will be considerable overlap between PC VR and PSVR games. So long as I get software I don't care if Sony outsells Rift/Vive 80:1.

Wasn't the entire point of PSVR to be cheaper than Oculus? I expect nothing more than $400, but hopefully they can provide a subsidization option to get more units out (and be easier on my wallet).

MUnited83

For you.

It doesn't need to. It's not supposed to be mass market just yet, it just will be in the future. First generation, as in anything else, is geared towards enthusiasts. Which is why all the people saying "VR will flop!It will crash and burn!" are pretty dumb.

HotHamBoy

Yeah I expect those sales to be reversed which is great for Sony and also great for people like me who will primarily use PC VR. I need Sony to knock it out of the park so that as many devs as possible create games for VR since a lot of people see to agree that there will be considerable overlap between PC VR and PSVR games. So long as I get software I don't care of Sony outsells Rift/Vive 80:1.

Indies are going to make VR gaming feasible early on. Gear VR doesn't have the best games, but it does have some exciting ideas.

I urge you all to seek out a Gear and play Drift and you'll start to get an idea of what kind of compelling new ideas garage coders can conceive during just a game jam.

platocplx

Check out the Gear VR gaf thread and the subreddit.

I don't just game, I watch entire 3D movies with the damn thing.

How much would you pay for a TV that made you feel like you were in a movie theater? But thats not all...

most people that poo poo it have not even tried any form of vr other than seeing the goofy memes. I know its legit and i know the better systems will cost around what oculus is selling theirs for.

jaypah

Wasn't the entire point of PSVR to be cheaper than Oculus? I expect nothing more than $400, but hopefully they can provide a subsidization option to get more units out (and be easier on my wallet).

The total buy-in is cheaper (because PS4 costs less than a VR capable PC) but that says nothing of the price of PSVR. It looks like a premium piece of kit, well put together.

Indies are going to make VR gaming feasible early on. Gear VR doesn't have the best games, but it does have some exciting ideas.

I urge you all to seek out a Gear and play Drift and you'll start to get an idea of what kind of compelling new ideas garage coders can conceive during just a game jam.

I own a GearVR (love it) and I was telling people in the GearVR thread to check out the game jam version of Drift before it was on the Oculus Store. Game is amazing to me.

Nameless

IMO $299-$329. is the sweet spot for PSVR. $399 would be a hard sell unless it came bundled with a game or two. I honestly don't think it will be what Sony expects it to be if the barrier to entry for the hardware and something to play on it is upwards of $500. My PS4 bundled with two AAA games didn't cost that much.

Crackbone

350$
379.99 even

Why does it have to be 299.99 or 399.99

I'm saying 349$ for the HMD and processing unit . I'm thinking 399$ With the ps camera included.

I'll pay more than that but I'm guessing that's the number they're shooting for. If they can hit that price point they'll easily have the sales advantage over vive/oculus.

Granted it's likely to be a neutered experience since it's tied to a ps4, but at least Sony will be providing some VR titles built for their platform.

Top Bottom