• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXVI| Build a Wall (of Better Top 20 Albums)

Status
Not open for further replies.
50 Cent was genuinely good at what he did until like 2006. Even after he dumbed down after signing to Shady/Aftermath in 2002, he made up for that by pushing the melodies a bit more. He was great at those proto Max B/French Montana hooks.

After that he completely lost his hunger, his talent for picking beats, and his ability to make good songs. Every 3 years you can see a flash of old 50, but it's over.

BISD is actually pretty good and underrated. The last album is a joke though and I am still here waiting for SKI.

How would you rate 50 Cent as a rapper/song writer?
Obviously he isn't the most "techicnal" MC of all time, but his slurrish flow and melodic ability (that really shines with his hooks)and basic rapping ability leads to him bunching words together in really incredible ways multisyllable/flow wise.

Like the final bars on the first verse of "What Up Gangsta":

"I'm on the next level, Breitling baguette bezel
Benz pedal to the metal, hotter than a tea kettle, blood"

Or this section of "Many Men":

"I walk the block with the bundles
I've been knocked on the humble
Swing the ox when I rumble, show your ass what my gun do"

It's honestly pretty incredible.

And he's honestly just dope with punchlines and knows how to write a song (like 9 shots), but then with his discography there's a question on how much of him is really mainly based on production.

I've been listening to this a lot recently, shows his talent well, one of my favorite 50 tracks:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=35WPOzYylps

Never was a fan. Never fucked with him.

NandoGip

How would you rate 50 Cent as a rapper/song writer?
Obviously he isn't the most "techicnal" MC of all time, but his slurrish flow and melodic ability (that really shines with his hooks)and basic rapping ability leads to him bunching words together in really incredible ways multisyllable/flow wise.

Like the final bars on the first verse of "What Up Gangsta":

"I'm on the next level, Breitling baguette bezel
Benz pedal to the metal, hotter than a tea kettle, blood"

Or this section of "Many Men":

"I walk the block with the bundles
I've been knocked on the humble
Swing the ox when I rumble, show your ass what my gun do"

It's honestly pretty incredible.

And he's honestly just dope with punchlines and knows how to write a song (like 9 shots), but then with his discography there's a question on how much of him is really mainly based on production.

I've been listening to this a lot recently, shows his talent well, one of my favorite 50 tracks:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=35WPOzYylps

The thing that people ignore about 50's legacy was that his true talent was only revealed on mix tapes. The g-unit tapes are legendary rap shit. He's prob top 20 all time but people only judge him for his albums,publicity stunts, and shit past his peak. The g unit tapes are a much much larger body of work with a lot of history behind it

This made me hate Logic:

Despite being a hip-hop artist, Logic is heavily influenced by Frank Sinatra. Sinatra's influence can be seen with many of Logic's persona, with Logic having the "RattPack" (a play on Sinatra's "Rat Pack" and an acronym for "Real All The Time"). The group of friends consists of Logic's manager Chris, producer 6ix, and friend Big Lenbo. He also describes his female fans as BobbySoxers, as well as referring to himself as "Young Sinatra." As a child, his mother made him watch old black and white movies, which formed his love for the singer. Logic cites Sinatra as instrumental to him being able to carry and articulate himself the way he does, with Logic describing him as an individual who "showcased peace, love, grace, positivity, honor, and valor."

#RattPack

92151d08a78d869f7c3be28d5a8f12c4.832x462x33.gif

HiResDes

I like Rap Album Two for the most part. It's rather back loaded and flirts with cringe ever so slightly in parts, but that seems nearly unavoidable for hip hop albums that deal with this level of intra personal thought. I don't really understand the outright dismissal of Jon's rap prowess, for what he lacks in terms of charisma he makes up for with a really raw delivery, great voice and cadence. He's not gonna give you dope adlibs or contort his voice in an eccentric fashion, but he raps with a real vulnerability and passion that is felt nonetheless without artifice.

Vorheez

Really enjoying the new Future so far, Zoom is a monstrous track. What were your guys complaints about it? Seems like Future to me.

Skits do get annoying though. Holy shit. I'd pay for another version without them

Dereck

I like Rap Album Two for the most part. It's rather back loaded and flirts with cringe ever so slightly in parts, but that seems nearly unavoidable for hip hop albums that deal with this level of intra personal thought. I don't really understand the outright dismissal of Jon's rap prowess, for what he lacks in terms of charisma he makes up for with a really raw delivery, great voice and cadence. He's not gonna give you dope adlibs or contort his voice in an eccentric fashion, but he raps with a real vulnerability and passion that is felt nonetheless without artifice.
Him being monotone doesn't particularly do him any favors either. He also doesn't seem to switch up his flow very much, but luckily for him his vocal clarity and voice keeps him afloat.

Marciano dropped, $20

https://roc-marcianos-online-shop.myshopify.com/products/roc-marciano-rosebudds-revenge

TheBowen

Sat alone in a boggy marsh
What do you guys think of logic?

Personally I like a few of his songs but I wouldn't consider myself a fan.

I really fuck with his beats ( especially on his space album) and his hooks and flow, but he just doesn't have much substance on some songs. Not hard hitting or though provoking bars

Seems like a rapper that stuff rhymes in to seem more technical and raps fast to impress non hip hop fans.

I'd give him a 7/10 overall though, he is improving with each album ( except bobby Tarantino some of that was corny)

Vorheez

Cause people are tired of hearing the same shit. Did you read the last couple pages

Yeah I did, but let's go over it together

Future sucks.
Glad people realize future really ain't shit

This was your riveting contribution

Fewtch starts strong with Rent Money at the very least
EDIT: Wonder what Used to This is on if not this?
EDIT2: These skits are AWFUL.

Good first impression. Skits suck, yep.

Just what the world needs. Another autotuned rap record.

if you enjoyed the skits on the jonwayne album, you'll love the skits here!

Do I get monotone as fuck rapping as well?

Couple of shit posts here, even if they are funny

This shit has fucking fake radio skits on it that aren't even separate tracks in 2017
emlycgtzio8o.png

Other than that it's very unremarkable to me on the first listen and did as much for me as Purple Reign or Evolve

Desiigner era now, king of the humble mumble jungle

Ok, started off with what seemed like criticism but it devolved into a meme

Fewtch is done y'all

Desiigner won

Amazing how quick Future's fall of was.

Yep, here come the memes

yup it sucks

Courage is a legend. Had me worried about the album.

It always takes me a while to warm up to Future projects so I'm keeping an open mind.
So far: Feds did a sweep, When I was broke, Flip, Massage in my room (fave so far), Poppin Tags & POA have made it into rotation.

What the fuck with these skits man

the beat on "Mask Off" brehs

The Future album is giving me life.

On first listen Future album's pretty decent. Would have been better without the skits that litter the top and bottom sections.
It's like Evol tier or something, definitely no DS2/56/Monster or anything.

Future is meh. Production is stellar. Mask Off is a genuinely great song though.

This future is amazing

Nothing on it is Thought It Was a Drought (best Future song and one of the best songs in human history) level.

Feeling like Fewch has been on a steady decline since he put out DS2. I still liked Purple Rain and EVOL (WATTBA was whatever) but this newest one is by far his weakest project in a while.

oh my god future is still good

Just started the new album. First track is real nice. Let's get it.

This new Future amazing. He's back 😭

New future is mediocre like every future album. Ds2 is mediocre too.

I'll ssve some songs thiugh.

EVOL is great. FUTURE is EVOL on steroids tho

It's disappointing because it's not as good as DS2 or 56 Nights? It's not outright terrible and I understand his run wasn't gonna last forever, but I'm only keeping 4-5 songs on this. It's comparable to Drake's situation and how Views was received.

New Future is insane. Still one of the best at making his own cadence and floating on a track. Glad this isnt just metro/808 beats too.

Future said he was changing lanes with this album? Aside from a few beats that are slightly different than usual, it's the same Future we've heard on the last five mixtapes. I still enjoy his sound but this album suffers from the same lack of variety and sense of fatigue as Purple Reign and EVOL.

"Zoom" is the real start of this album.

I thought it was kinda wack on first listen. Went out and ran some errands, now there's definitely at least 5-6 tracks that'll be on repeat for a while...

EDIT: New opinion. Album is flames. 4-5 tracks I don't really mess with, yet.

High Demand - 2:08

The new Future album is decent lowkey, I like the skits too. Some of those beat are pretty dam good.

And here is the actual feedback for the album. Even you can see that it's a mixed/positive reception HiiiLife, and that no one has outright stated they dislike it because theyre "tired of hearing the same shit." Courage, GlassRebel, and Snuggles imply that he is running out of steam (which I do agree with), but that is not the same thing. It was inevitable that there would be a dip in quality during his impressive run, and no one is saying it is his best for that reason, but it's still good. My confusion about the negative reception to the album is summed up here nice by Des:

I'm not the biggest Future fan, but I really don't know what ya'll expecting outta this tape, amazing production and Future mostly doing what he been doing the past 3 years...The hooks aren't as amazing or catchy, but for the most part this is par for the course. I don't understand the disappointment

So yeah, I read it, and I know you'll have a thoughtful reply for me HiiiLife lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom