• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fez (XBLA)|OT| If you have no interest in discussing the game, don't enter the thread

Xisiqomelir

So...someone who hates Japanese games....creates something with a studio Pixel art-style.

And instead of laughing at the absurdity of it, people are boycotting the game?

20 sec of Googling yielded this summary, so I am open to correction if I've misunderstood anything.

So...someone who hates Japanese games....creates something with a studio Pixel art-style.

20 sec of Googling yielded this summary, so I am open to correction if I've misunderstood anything.

Phil Fish doesn't hate Japanese games, he dislikes MODERN Japanese games. I think he's a big fan of 8-bit and 16-bit era Japanese stuff.

Zia

Tim Schafer is downloading Fez, I want to download Fez. Let me download Fez too.

Ap2mhqeCQAASvtx.jpg

It seems as if every person on Twitter is now playing the game. Except me, of course. : (

Neat to see a large amount of people taking pen and paper notes, though. It's going to be a bitch trying to climb the leader boards.

It seems as if every person on Twitter is now playing the game. Except me, of course. : (

Neat to see a large amount of people taking pen and paper notes, though. It's going to be a bitch trying to climb the leader boards.

Pen and paper? Damn. Haven't done that since... well I don't think I've ever had to do that at all!

just found out this existed... that's the good news

the bad news is i don't have a 360 :(

So is there any chance this will get ported later on?

No, because in between making idiotic blanket statements about an entire nation's video games and telling people on twitter to suck his dick, the creator of the game also said that it's not coming to PC because it has to be played on a comfy couch.

Do you know what the leaderboards are for? If it's just completion percentage, it's not really worth trying to climb them.

Haunted

Don't spread FUD, especially if you're not sure. It's obvious that Fish is a big fan of classic Japanese games (like probably 90% of the people his age working in the industry today).

He has problems with modern Japanese game design and he's not alone in that.

ReaperXL7

No, because in between making idiotic blanket statements about an entire nation's video games and telling people on twitter to suck his dick, the creator of the game also said that it's not coming to PC because it has to be played on a comfy couch.

well that does not mean it can't come to PSN, but yeah he did say no PC version at one point.

Garcia Hotspur

Neo Member
Did anyone ever find out why the 6955 guy isn't doing the music anymore? From what I've heard I liked his music a lot more. It was one of my primary motivations for purchasing this game.

genjiZERO

Looks awesome. Sadly I gave my 360 to my brother a while ago... Wish this was coming for PSN...

edit.... Oh but this is the douche guy why hates Japanese gaming for no reason....hmmmm.... :/

pakkit

Banned
Looks awesome. Sadly I gave my 360 to my brother a while ago... Wish this was coming for PSN...

edit.... Oh but this is the douche guy why hates Japanese gaming for no reason....hmmmm.... :/

Yes, this is the guy that said Fez was inspired by his time with Mario, Zelda and ICO, the trifecta of great modern Western design.

He said something brashly (that was, he said that modern Japanese games are lagging behind Western development, and that most their games weren't good), but the amount of ignorance here at NeoGAF and in the gaming community in general is staggering. The fact is, who gives a shit what he said?

If you want to play this game, play it, if you don't, don't. The developers personal opinion on games should have NO bearing on your game experience.

genjiZERO

Yes, this is the guy that said Fez was inspired by his time with Mario, Zelda and ICO, the trifecta of great modern Western design.

He said something brashly (that was, he said that modern Japanese games are lagging behind Western development, and that most their games weren't good), but the amount of ignorance here at NeoGAF and in the gaming community in general is staggering. The fact is, who gives a shit what he said?

If you want to play this game, play it, if you don't, don't. The developers personal opinion on games should have NO bearing on your game experience.

He should have said it more articulately. Saying "Your games just suck" is nothing more than a useless ad hominem attack not even based on reality. Arguably Demon's/Dark Souls is the game of the generation, and the top 7 sellingest games of this generation are Japanese (not that popularity is necessarily indicative of quality). He seems to have said it for no other reason than to rile people up - which it did. If he wanted people who enjoy Japanese development to criticise him less emotionally he should have been less emotional himself. It would have been a lot more productive had he talked about his concerns on an intelligent level. Instead he went for the quick headline. Just desserts IMO.

Maybe not on someone's playing experience, but gaming is an economic experience too. The game is not free. I don't really feel comfortable giving someone money who has an opinion that I think is pretty crass.

IrishNinja

yeah, fish is a real winner.
for real, this is going to PC when whatever deal with XBLA is up. if it doesn't, that would actually be dumber than his comments.

Maxrunner

Well the title does have Nintendo in it right???anyway i forgot port begging is only allowed in Nintendo threads....carry on...

genjiZERO

So.... you understand that he meant something else, and yet you won't buy the game because he didn't clarify?

I don't know he meant something else. I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt. And frankly, he should have issued a clarification statement. It would have gone a long way in making me think he's a professional. A tweet that said "For those upset by my comments on Japanese development: sorry it was crass and I didn't think it out very well" would have been enough. Well specifically, I'm not buying it because I no longer have a 360. But my money and time are very limited. Consequently, I have to take a global approach on buying games. So not only do I ask "would I enjoy this game?", but also "do I think the developers and producers deserve my money?" amongst other considerations. It's simply value maximisation.

OMG will you guys suck it up and stop whining?

Who really cares?

Either way I've been waiting for Fez foreva--gonna be my first XBLA in a longgg time.

It would be nice if every time this thread was bumped it wasn't about Japan or unrelated discussion about it being on other platforms.

Or your post.

Leflus

Wouldn't be an XBLA-thread without port discussions.

The game looks awesome btw. Would be even more awesome if they could release it on
wednesday the 11th.

people calling this a Metroidvania are truly taking that descriptor's name in vein. Levels connected by doors in a hub world unlocked by certain numbers of keys/collectables doesn't make something a Metroid or a Castlevania, thats all about incrementally boosted ability traversal, something which Fez appears to offer nothing of.
Sounds more like Mario 64. Was actually intrigued by the vania title :(

Ocaso

people calling this a Metroidvania are truly taking that descriptor's name in vein. Levels connected by doors in a hub world unlocked by certain numbers of keys/collectables doesn't make something a Metroid or a Castlevania, thats all about incrementally boosted ability traversal, something which Fez appears to offer nothing of.

Thanks a lot for this post. The Metroidvania genre descriptor has always been ill-defined, but it gets applied so loosely nowadays that it's all but lost any semblance of meaning. Being 2D(ish) and non-linear does not make a game a Metroidvania. Metroidvanias rely on the player gradually obtaining new items/abilities and then using those to figure out where to go. It can be distilled into two key components: upgrades and pathfinding. Does Fez have even one of those two? If not, it's not a Metroidvania.

That said, it's looking to be a gorgeous platform-puzzle game, and a definite buy for me.

Did anyone ever find out why the 6955 guy isn't doing the music anymore? From what I've heard I liked his music a lot more. It was one of my primary motivations for purchasing this game.

Phil Fish has definitely talked about it. It had something to do with him not actually do the work he said he was or something similar. There was falling out.

Your taste is your taste, but I can definitely say that Disasterpiece makes amazing music (from his albums and other games), and that the songs in FEZ are amazing. Hopefully once you play the game you'll get a better idea about how you feel about them. :)

How is everyone getting this thing early?
Fish has promo codes for friends and probably press.

Worth noting that Brandon tweeted his completion of the game 1:24am on the 7th of April, and he started playing at 9:53am on the 6th. Which is 15 hours and 31 minutes. Apparently he went to sleep during this period, and was fucking about on twitter for a while also. So I'm guessing it's a short game, he says he had played a lot of early builds so he could probably steam through huge chunks. But going for super completion collect-em-all must take a while. If he slept for 8 hours, and was away from controller for 1 I'd guess it's 6-8 hours long.

Game looks awesome, also a great price. That being said, the dev's comments on an entire nation's games output were really misguided and regrettable. Lucky this isn't a popularity contest, or it would factor into my decision to buy Fez. Since it's not, I'll gladly be buying it on the 13th, can't wait.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I don't know he meant something else. I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt. And frankly, he should have issued a clarification statement. It would have gone a long way in making me think he's a professional. A tweet that said "For those upset by my comments on Japanese development: sorry it was crass and I didn't think it out very well" would have been enough. Well specifically, I'm not buying it because I no longer have a 360. But my money and time are very limited. Consequently, I have to take a global approach on buying games. So not only do I ask "would I enjoy this game?", but also "do I think the developers and producers deserve my money?" amongst other considerations. It's simply value maximisation.

It's fine to use both of those considerations when making a purchase decision but I don't see what limited time and money have to do with whether or not a person cares about the second criterion.

Top Bottom