• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ITT: We post screens that showcase the visual charisma lost by modern Simpsons

Status
Not open for further replies.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
irO2B.gif

Mom! Make Dad tell it right!

123rl

The more I watch the more I remember how truly special the show was during its time - and it's still funnier and better than anything on TV right now

"Well I guess that explains everything"
"Not quite everything. What about the whereabouts of Flander's wife?"
"I'm here?"
"Oh, well I guess everything is wrapped up in a neat little package! What? I meant it. Sorry if it sounded sarcastic"

lunchtoast

Homer: What do you need to make money for, anyway? As long as I have my earning power, this family's got nothing to worry about. [stabs his eye with a hot dog]
Oww! Ohh! Call work and tell 'em I won't be in tomorrow.

lunchtoast

Lisa: Relax? I can't relax! Nor can I yield, relent, or -- [groans]
Only two synonyms? Oh my God: I'm losing my perspicacity!
[runs off screaming]
Homer: Well, it's always in the last place you look.
--------
Bart: Milhouse! I found a hive of killer bees. You wanna go throw
rocks at it?
Milhouse: Sorry, Bart, I'm deeply immersed in the Teapot Dome scandal.
Bart: Huh?
Milhouse: However, it might be feasible in a fortnight.
Bart: Wha?
Milhouse: I can play in two weeks.
Bart: Juh?
---------
Homer: [scoffs] I know. And this perpetual motion machine she made
today is a joke! It just keeps going faster and faster.
-------
Homer: I'm with you, Marge. Lisa! Get in here.
[Lisa walks in, chuckling nervously]
In this house, we obey the laws of thermodynamics!
------
Ned: Ho, ho, this is a dilly of a pickle.
Man: Oh my God...the PTA has disbanded! [jumps out a window]
------
Frink: N'hey hey! Ahem, n'hey, so the compression and expansion of the
longitudinal waves cause the erratic oscillation -- you can see
it there -- of the neighboring particles.
[a girl raises her hand]
[sighs] Yes, what is it? What? What is it?
Girl: Can I play with it?
Frink: No, you can't play with it; you won't enjoy it on as many levels
as I do.
-------

Hey, what are you laughing at? What? Oh, oh: I get it, I get
it. It's my big ears, isn't it, kids? Isn't it? Well
children, I can't help that! [runs out crying]

----

"All tucked away up there..."

123rl

I'm up to series 6 now and I can see the transition that happened slowly. The writing became more complex and the stories and characters are just more developed. It's still really funny but these episodes are really good

I just watched the episode where Homer explains why there are no photos of Maggie. He quit his job after paying off his debts and became a pin monkey then Marge got pregnant. Brilliant episode

lunchtoast

JeuZk.jpg

Homer: Marge, you're standing in the way of my boyhood dream of managing a beautiful country singer.
Marge: Your boyhood dream was to eat the world's biggest hoagie and you did it at the county fair last year, remember? (holds up a photo of homer eating a giant hoagie)

I love when they'd have serious issues and then throw stuff like that in.

I saw this photo and thought it would be funny to shop classic simpsons on the tv.

GUurT.png

JeuZk.jpg

Homer: Marge, you're standing in the way of my boyhood dream of managing a beautiful country singer.
Marge: Your boyhood dream was to eat the world's biggest hoagie and you did it at the county fair last year, remember? (holds up a photo of homer eating a giant hoagie)

Your lifelong dream was to be a contestant on "The Gong Show!" And you did it in 1977, remember?

123rl

That's it! You people have held me back for long enough! I'm going to clown college.

...I don't think anyone expected him to say that

Shaneus

I would still kill for a clean version of the clown theme used in The Simpsons, but as it's written by Clausen himself and isn't a public domain thing, there's zero chance unless it's released on CD somewhere.

123rl

Bart: Hey, boy, you want to play fetch?
[Santa's Little Helper looks up, tired, then puts his head back down]
Bart: Aw. Me and Santa's Little Helper used to be a team, but he never wants to play anymore since his bitch moved in.
Marge Simpson: Bart, don't ever say that word again!
Bart: Well, that's what she is. I looked it up.
Marge Simpson: Well, I'm going to write the dictionary people and have that checked. Feels like a mistake to me...

Literally the funniest Bart quote in the show's history. And it's from an excellent episode, the one where Santa's Little Helper has 25 puppies. Series 4-6 is the pinnacle of the show, IMO

Natetan

HOMER SIMPSON
Hey, Flanders, you're the worst coach this team has ever had!
MARGE SIMPSON
He's the only coach this team has ever had. And the season hasn't even started yet.
HOMER SIMPSON
Yeah, well, he's... wearing that hat like an idiot.
MARGE SIMPSON
You know, Homer, it's very easy to criticize.
HOMER SIMPSON
Fun too.

123rl

Instead of quotes I'm going to show one image from the episode I just watched. Anyone who watches the show will instantly remember the episode

tumblr_l8zbpzZ0IS1qca3uto1_500.png

I don't like Lisa episodes but this was close to a perfect episode

Instead of quotes I'm going to show one image from the episode I just watched. Anyone who watches the show will instantly remember the episode

That's probably my least favorite episode in the history of the Simpsons.

tumblr_l8zbpzZ0IS1qca3uto1_500.png

Probably my least favorite episode of the classic Simpsons era, together with My Sister My Sitter. I rarely watch either of those episodes.

AAequal

Banned
Probably my least favorite episode of the classic Simpsons era, together with My Sister My Sitter. I rarely watch either of those episodes.

Round Springfield is pretty cheesy and overall I don't like it either but Steve Allen bits were good as was Abe's death paranoia. My Sister My Sitter isn't on my top ten list either, I guess it's a decent episode with few good jokes but it is rather forgettable.

Edit. Just watching Lisa on Ice
vFK4C.png

Lisa: “Don’t worry, I’m wearing my lucky rabbit’s head.”
Bart: “Mr. Honeybunny!  You inhuman monster!”

UberTag

I agree with My Sister, My Sitter. I just can't stand that episode for some reason.
It makes sense that a lot of people won't like My Sister, My Sitter. It ventures into an unexplored territory of black comedy that few other episodes of the show barely touch on. Bart knocking himself unconscious, dislocating his arm, Lisa being accused of murder and being on drugs by the townsfolk and they played it straight.

I actually enjoy that episode a lot but it's certainly not for everybody.

AAequal

Banned
It makes sense that a lot of people won't like My Sister, My Sitter. It ventures into an unexplored territory of black comedy that few other episodes of the show barely touch on. Bart knocking himself unconscious, dislocating his arm, Lisa being accused of murder and being on drugs by the townsfolk and they played it straight.

For me the writing seemed just lazy and was the main reason why I don't care for the episode. I didn't mind the darker humor in it and to be honest I never even thought about the darker tone of the story before. It just hasn't much going on and the sub-plot just felt like waste of screen time

HOMER SIMPSON
Hey, Flanders, you're the worst coach this team has ever had!
MARGE SIMPSON
He's the only coach this team has ever had. And the season hasn't even started yet.
HOMER SIMPSON
Yeah, well, he's... wearing that hat like an idiot.
MARGE SIMPSON
You know, Homer, it's very easy to criticize.
HOMER SIMPSON
Fun too.

FLAAAAAAANDERS.
FLAAAAAAAAAAAAANDERS.
FLLLAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNDDDDDDEEEEERRRRRRSSSSS.

WHAT?!?

Game's out there!

The problem for me is simply the horrendous situation Lisa gets into. It's a classic Donald Duck cartoon. Everything goes wrong, to the point where I'm really annoyed and frustrated over how helpless Lisa is and keep saying "oh come on!" out loud.. I can't stand those kinds of scenarios. And this is the one Simpsons episode with such a scenario.

Rond Springfield is not particularly bad or annoying, it's just kinda bland. The main storyline with Lisa en Bleeding Gums doesn't interest me in the slightest. The jokes in the episode are still classic though. I always crack up when Krusty eats one of his "metal" Krusty-O's during the press conference to prove they're fine.

Krusty: "See, there's nothing Aaaahhh Oooawwh Yeaahhh, boooy, this thing is shredding my insides!!!"
Sideshow Mel: "Krusty, that was a regular Krusty-O"
Krusty: "It's poison."

Same thing goes for my Sister my Sitter. Even if I don't like the storyline, the jokes are still fantastic.

The problem for me is simply the horrendous situation Lisa gets into. It's a classic Donald Duck cartoon. Everything goes wrong, to the point where I'm really annoyed and frustrated over how helpless Lisa is and keep saying "oh come on!" out loud.. I can't stand those kinds of scenarios. And this is the one Simpsons episode with such a scenario.
Really? I thought it was an unusually dark episode, but a very well directed and paced one. It really explored the lows of Bart's character (and his eventual regret) and Lisa's reaction to them. Not the most quotable lines, but some nice gags in there still.

SmithersCantSitDown.png

It actually gave me some of the same vibes that Bart of Darkness did in a way. I'll agree it's one of the darkest episodes in the classics, but I'm a bit shocked to hear people put it amongst the worst.

The best thing about being home sick from work the past two days has been watching the simpsons all day on the couch. Yesterday was Season 4. Today was season 5. If I'm still too sick to work tomorrow, it'll be Season 6.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom