• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miniature Gaming-Age (WH40k, Warmachine, Etc.)

Azih

OttomanScribe said:
Sorry to necro this, but I wonder if there are still some people into this stuff around?

I play WHFB (Warhammer Fantasy Battles) and I'm really into the whole thing. I have fluff (backstory) for my army and all. I have about 5000 pts worth of Warriors of Chaos.
Do you mind posting the fluff? My favourite part of all this.

Alucrid

Banned
Man, I sold all my stuff years ago. Really only liked to paint them though, only played a few games. I might get back into it, just buy the more expensive and intricate models and paint them. I was Dark Eldar, do they still exist? I remember hearing something about them being discontinued...

Alucrid said:
Man, I sold all my stuff years ago. Really only liked to paint them though, only played a few games. I might get back into it, just buy the more expensive and intricate models and paint them. I was Dark Eldar, do they still exist? I remember hearing something about them being discontinued...
They had a new codex released in November, along with new models recently.

I used to collect 40k, WHFB and LOTR, but haven't done so for several years now.

I'm tempted to pick up a few models to paint now, but Flames of War also looks pretty good.

OttomanScribe said:
ATM I play three things:

Malifaux
WHFB
Dystopian Wars

Anyone tried the last one? Tis awesome. Apparently Ottomans are going to come out eventually for it too.. can't wait.

I play Malifaux, great game. Dystopian Wars I got the rulebook, been trying to get some of my friends into it but no luck yet, I do play Spartans other game though, Uncharted Seas which is the same basic ruleset. I am very much interested in a Britainia army for that. Yea they haven't shown any of the Ottoman Empire units yet, just some French stuff which is the other new army coming for it.

DeathIsTheEnd said:
I'm tempted to pick up a few models to paint now, but Flames of War also looks pretty good.

Flames of War is cool game, and neat to paint if you never did 15mm figures before. Doing infantry at that small of scale while looking a bit tough, is really pretty easy since detail work is not as important, and it's pretty quick to paint up such small things.

So, I recently have been falling in love with W40K. Anyone have a good starting point for a newcomer to jump into the table top game?

Lord_Nergal said:
So, I recently have been falling in love with W40K. Anyone have a good starting point for a newcomer to jump into the table top game?

Well the large hardcover rulebook is always a good start especially as it's filled with fluff and hoby stuff : http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?prodId=prod1400018&rootCatGameStyle=

Or of course the other good starting point is to pick up the starter set which comes with two small armies of Space Marines and Orks, it also comes with a rulebook, but the book has all the extra stuff like story fluff and such removed and is just the actual game stuff: http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?prodId=prod1570027&rootCatGameStyle=

If you are interested in a specific army, then just the rulebook and the armies army book is where you will want to start.

markatisu

Lord_Nergal said:

Basically what Battle Monkey said above, I picked up the Warhammer 40K Assault on Black Reach Starter Set

And then get whatever codex book for whatever group you like

Just got back into painting them after my father passed last year

Lord_Nergal said:

I picked a starter paint set with a few other miniatures and paints. I like to paint them when I need to relax, but I know I'll probable never play a game. If you actually like you might then get black reach as other said, IMHO it's a cheaper options to check if the game is for you.

Or just slowly buy, build, and paint up models for a specifc army while you try to learn the rules and of course it's always best to try to find a place to play your selected game locally. See if you can watch others play or if others might be welling to help demo the game for you. As you get more familiar with the game you can further build up your army of models for real play.

A common mistake I think folks make is they jump in, buy a ton of stuff because they think it's cool, but when they actually play the game they suddenly run off to buy a ton of new stuff as to make their army better. You often want to know whats what and build an army that will actually be effective, and not something you made that looks cool, but doesn't work and loses constantly.

Azih said:
Do you mind posting the fluff? My favourite part of all this.
I can link you to my modelling diary on another site, which is full of various fluff :)

http://www.wargamerau.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=64660&hl=

Alucrid said:
They still exist :) in fact they got awesome new models recently.

dark_eldar_wyches.jpg

dark-eldar-scourges-02.jpg

dark_eldar_kabalite_warriors.jpg

Alucrid

Banned
OttomanScribe said:
I can link you to my modelling diary on another site, which is full of various fluff :)

http://www.wargamerau.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=64660&hl=

They still exist :) in fact they got awesome new models recently.

http://www.ciphergames.com/media/40K/DarkEldar/dark_eldar_wyches.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://www.activedad.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/dark-eldar-scourges-02.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://www.ciphergames.com/media/40K/DarkEldar/dark_eldar_kabalite_warriors.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Those Incubi look incredible. New models are awesome...now I'm tempted to start painting again.

Q: Do they still use metal or are most models plastic now? Metal was always a bit of a mess to assemble and paint.

Alucrid said:
Those Incubi look incredible. New models are awesome...now I'm tempted to start painting again.

Q: Do they still use metal or are most models plastic now? Metal was always a bit of a mess to assemble and paint.
They recently released a new thing called 'finecast', and are switching all their metals over to it. It is a plastic/resin blend I think. I personally prefer it to metal, though the community is split about it.

Most of the DE stuff is in plastic though. Wyches are epic and the jetbike things are cool. I don't play 40k though, as it is for children :p

choodi

Banned
So I ordered the 40K Assault on Black Reach starter pack and a friend of mine already has a set of Chaos Demons going.

I haven't played a table top war game since Fantasy Warriors waaaaaay back in the day. Am getting a bit excited about painting miniatures again, but I don't know how the eyes are going to take it!

The good thing is I have a massive table that is perfect for setting up and playing on. It is outside in a big shed too so there is no chance that a half finished game is going to need to be packed away.

choodi said:
So I ordered the 40K Assault on Black Reach starter pack and a friend of mine already has a set of Chaos Demons going.

I haven't played a table top war game since Fantasy Warriors waaaaaay back in the day. Am getting a bit excited about painting miniatures again, but I don't know how the eyes are going to take it!

The good thing is I have a massive table that is perfect for setting up and playing on. It is outside in a big shed too so there is no chance that a half finished game is going to need to be packed away.
Noo.. fantasy is better! :)

The Warriors of Chaos Minis are amongst the best in GWs range:

100_1159-knight.jpg

Chaos-Warrior-2-2-010.jpg

OttomanScribe said:
Noo.. fantasy is better! :)

The Warriors of Chaos Minis are amongst the best in GWs range:

images
Having played both I would say I certainly prefer fantasy. I think the 40k universe is cooler and more impressive, but I prefer the regimented battles of fantasy and that it's deeply influenced by history - within the late Middle Ages, I would say, for many of the armies.

Are those models yours? Because they're great.

The new Dark Eldar are amazing looking, and they just got a new fighter jet model too!
5862708337_ab9db4bfe4_b.jpg

Supposedly next edition of the game is next year and they are going to have flyer rules as standard now, which right now is only for forgeworld and apocalypse games. For the most part flyers are basically just glorified skimmer units that act like VTOLs, but it sounds like they are going to have full flight rules added in and I would believe it, since they have been adding lot of flying units to the armies as they keep expanding.

Alucrid said:

They are trying to replace most of their stuff with plastics as they update the game and army books, usually retooling units to make them more plastic kit friendly or modular so they can count as multiple unit types.

They are switching to resin for single miniature blisters which while nice looking, are ridiculously expensive with single figures going for $20 plus. The plastic kits are good deals, but the new resin blisters are a massive rip off considering resin is the cheapest of all three materials used to make gaming miniatures.

Facism said:
Is Mephiston still a part of the Blood Angels unit roster?

Yup

DeathIsTheEnd said:
Having played both I would say I certainly prefer fantasy. I think the 40k universe is cooler and more impressive, but I prefer the regimented battles of fantasy and that it's deeply influenced by history - within the late Middle Ages, I would say, for many of the armies.

Are those models yours? Because they're great.
Nah I wish! Here is my take on the Chaos Knight:

IMG_0309.jpg

They are trying to replace most of their stuff with plastics as they update the game and army books, usually retooling units to make them more plastic kit friendly or modular so they can count as multiple unit types.

They are switching to resin for single miniature blisters which while nice looking, are ridiculously expensive with single figures going for $20 plus. The plastic kits are good deals, but the new resin blisters are a massive rip off considering resin is the cheapest of all three materials used to make gaming miniatures.
Especially if you are in Australia. Are you in Australia? We pay almost triple what the Poms do, and almost quadruple what the Yanks do. :(

We use to be able to get around it by ordering from free postage sites like Maelstromgames, but GW called an embargo from European partners selling to Australia. Now we have to use redirect services. Is quite lame.

jon bones said:
OS i love that purple you used for the flag-bearer. too bad i'm pretty useless with a paintbrush

It is all about technique. I used to be really really bad, then I learnt that it is more about technical tricks than any born talent. After I started getting my paint to the right consistency, and reading stuff about colour theory and other such things, my painting improved immensely.

That colour scheme is a basecoat, a wash and a highlight. That is all :)

Anyone here a Dreampod 9 fan? Had a nice little collection of Heavy Gears back in the day. Dreampod 9 minis are gorgeous. Very nice to paint.

OttomanScribe said:
Especially if you are in Australia. Are you in Australia? We pay almost triple what the Poms do, and almost quadruple what the Yanks do. :(

We use to be able to get around it by ordering from free postage sites like Maelstromgames, but GW called an embargo from European partners selling to Australia. Now we have to use redirect services. Is quite lame.

Nah, I live in the US and even we think the prices are crazy, I can't imagine how they keep their player base in other countries who pay so much more. I think they are going to kill themselves largely overseas with how they are doing business, as competition is growing constantly and everyone else is selling at lower prices and not being so hard assed about selling across borders.

Pylon_Trooper said:
Anyone here a Dreampod 9 fan? Had a nice little collection of Heavy Gears back in the day. Dreampod 9 minis are gorgeous. Very nice to paint.

me me me. Got a fairly large Northen army for Heavy Gear. Was also a beta tester with my group for the current edition of the mini game, sadly I don't get much games in with much of our HG player base having moved away. Right now I got only one other person who has and plays HG near me and we rarely get games in :(

They have improved so much their figs in recent years, really great stuff and they expanded the line well with all the different armies like Caprice and Utopian units.

3792299407_3eb45c0754.jpg

BattleMonkey said:
Nah, I live in the US and even we think the prices are crazy, I can't imagine how they keep their player base in other countries who pay so much more. I think they are going to kill themselves largely overseas with how they are doing business, as competition is growing constantly and everyone else is selling at lower prices and not being so hard assed about selling across borders.
Yeah, it is really effecting their sales, however they are one of the least profitable companies out there anyway :(

A box of Chaos warriors in the US will cost you 35 bucks retail. In Australia they go for 55 bucks retail. At the current exchange rate, that is 57 USD. :(

OttomanScribe said:
Yeah, it is really effecting their sales, however they are one of the least profitable companies out there anyway :(

A box of Chaos warriors in the US will cost you 35 bucks retail. In Australia they go for 55 bucks retail. At the current exchange rate, that is 57 USD. :(

Yeah, that's why I could never do Wargaming (and I can't paint for SHIT). I remember a lot of the people who did in High School would openly admitted to stealing them (which I thought was garbage). That said I would love to set aside some money one day get some prepainted kits from a historical, a big ass table, and play against my dad (or even father-in-law). Hell I would love my future child (boy or girl) to also play one day as I belief it's a great way to teach strategy, problem solving, history, and possibly my kid may get the art genes that my sister, mom, and her mom have/had so a way to hone their talent.

Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
Yeah, that's why I could never do Wargaming (and I can't paint for SHIT). I remember a lot of the people who did in High School would openly admitted to stealing them (which I thought was garbage). That said I would love to set aside some money one day get some prepainted kits from a historical, a big ass table, and play against my dad (or even father-in-law). Hell I would love my future child (boy or girl) to also play one day as I belief it's a great way to teach strategy, problem solving, history, and possibly my kid may get the art genes that my sister, mom, and her mom have/had so a way to hone their talent.

There are many options for wargaming especially nowadays. 40k and warhammer fantasy are actually two of the most expensive games to get into, but there are many other cheaper alternatives out there. Course once you get everything all painted up and done, you usually don't have to pay much more ever if you choose not to, and really you can pretty much play forever the game usually from then on so it's a nice investment.

If you are looking for historical type deals that don't involve tons of money or time investments, you might want to just look into wargame boardgames like Advanced Squad Leader, Conflict of Heroes, Tide of Iron, and many others.

Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
Thankfully there are other ways :) if you order stuff online through sites like Maelstrom (from Aus anyway) and even with a redirect service, you will end up paying like 50% of rrp or something ridiculous like that.

Additionally, GW games are probably the most expensive to get into initially. Games like Dystopian Wars or Maelstrom are much cheaper, with even the rule books costing half as much.

Alucrid

Banned
OttomanScribe said:
They recently released a new thing called 'finecast', and are switching all their metals over to it. It is a plastic/resin blend I think. I personally prefer it to metal, though the community is split about it.

Most of the DE stuff is in plastic though. Wyches are epic and the jetbike things are cool. I don't play 40k though, as it is for children :p

Interesting. I thought that the plastic models were not only easier to assemble, but also easier to paint and looked better painted. Unless you put a coating over the metal ones they chipped easily. :(

BattleMonkey said:
The new Dark Eldar are amazing looking, and they just got a new fighter jet model too!
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5159/5862708337_ab9db4bfe4_b.jpg[IMG]

Supposedly next edition of the game is next year and they are going to have flyer rules as standard now, which right now is only for forgeworld and apocalypse games. For the most part flyers are basically just glorified skimmer units that act like VTOLs, but it sounds like they are going to have full flight rules added in and I would believe it, since they have been adding lot of flying units to the armies as they keep expanding.

Yup[/QUOTE]

Goddamn! About time too, their units were so dated and that fighter looks awesome. $20 doesn't see too bad, iirc most metal blister packs cost nearly the same.

[QUOTE=OttomanScribe]Yeah, it is really effecting their sales, however they are one of the least profitable companies out there anyway :(

A box of Chaos warriors in the US will cost you 35 bucks retail. In Australia they go for 55 bucks retail. At the current exchange rate, that is 57 USD. :([/QUOTE]

Don't forget the start up materials too.

Clippers, x-acto, sand paper, brush, paint, primer, glue, base material, etc. I really want to grab a few of those new DE models though, /drool.

Oh, I'm not really in a place to go ahead and spray paint models to prime them...does a coating of black paint work just as well or do is it even needed now that they're resin?

Alucrid said:
Goddamn! About time too, their units were so dated and that fighter looks awesome. $20 doesn't see too bad, iirc most metal blister packs cost nearly the same.

Well not to long ago the blisteres were on average $9.99 a fig and that is the average most of the rest of the industry has, but prices have gone up incredibly especially for GW figs while lot of the rest of the companies out there are still putting out figs for 7.99-12.99 and using more expensive materials. They switched to resin which is the cheapest in materials, and the prices went up for the most part on the same figures.

The new Dark Eldar look sweet. I went to the Games Day when they were first released and got one of those free plastic figures. I guess that was like '98? I stopped playing Warhammer shortly after.

I'm doing a bit of Warmachine but always wonder if I might take Warhammer or 40K back up some day.

Well my Fantasy army has gone up on ebay, moving onto playing Hordes for my fantasy fix. I love Warhammer universe, but just can't get the motivation to play it, I am really preferring to play the smaller skirmish level games or something like Hordes at max (WM/Hordes stop being skirmish level long ago).

Anyone play Anima tactics? Pretty good game really, its alot like a Final Fantasy type of game but you play versus another players team of characters. You usually will have only 5-6 figures on a team so it's a pretty cheap game to play.

Confrontation lives!

Legacy Miniatures is excited to announce that they have secured the license to the entire Confrontation back catalog, and will immediately start producing previously released and unreleased figures from this amazing and sorely missed miniatures line.

Confrontation was a game published by Rackham Entertainment until it entered liquidation in 2009, and some of the most amazing 28mm figures in the world ceased to be available at that time. Cyanide Studios, a prominent French video game developer, has acquired the Confrontation IP and has licensed the miniatures to Legacy Miniatures.

"We're incredibly pleased", said Vincent Fontaine Artistic Director of Legacy Miniatures and former Paint Director of Rackham Entertainment. "We're starting out slowly and doing about 2 to 4 releases a month, some miniatures that never saw production before Rackham closed its doors."

Working exclusively with CoolMiniOrNot, these "new" releases and re-releases of old favorites will first be avaliable at Gencon 2011 Indy, with the never before seen Hydra and the rare Flesh Golem making their debut. The plan currently is to produce limited runs, these incredibly hot miniatures will be sure to sell out fast!

"Obviously we're thrilled", said David Doust, co-founder of Cool Mini Or Not. "Although we handle beautiful miniatures every day, there is something special about Confrontation. We're looking forward to helping bring these miniatures back to life."
http://www.coolminiornot.com/articles/6194-confrontation-announcement

Yay!

Apparently it's just going to be limited runs of miniatures and not an actual revival of the game. Should be a return to metal and resin miniatures instead of those nasty plastics Rackham put out, but Confrontation is still kinda dead.

Fou-Lu

Huh, didn't know we had a miniatures thread.

I love miniature wargames, problem is I have almost no one to play against.

Fou-Lu

OttomanScribe said:
Where are you based?

Well right now I live in a town that no one knows the name of, although they usually know the provincial park we have here. Wells Gray Park.

However I will be moving to Kamloops, BC, Canada in August, which supposedly has a pretty good WM/H scene. Unfortunately they gave up on Malifaux, and are giving up on 40k and WFB.

At least WM/H is my favorite game.

(Hey has anyone here heard of Mantic Games? Their new sci-fi game Warpath is looking to be pretty great. Real Firefly/Serenity vibes for me, although with typical fantasy races thrown in to benefit off of 40k players)

Ichor said:
Well right now I live in a town that no one knows the name of, although they usually know the provincial park we have here. Wells Gray Park.

However I will be moving to Kamloops, BC, Canada in August, which supposedly has a pretty good WM/H scene. Unfortunately they gave up on Malifaux, and are giving up on 40k and WFB.

At least WM/H is my favorite game.

(Hey has anyone here heard of Mantic Games? Their new sci-fi game Warpath is looking to be pretty great. Real Firefly/Serenity vibes for me, although with typical fantasy races thrown in to benefit off of 40k players)

Mantic miniatures are nice and very very well priced, but they haven't shown capability to be able to make good rules. The warpath beta rules are pretty mediocre, a highly stripped down version of 40k basically with lot of ideas from their Kings of War game. For the most part their figs are popular for proxy use in GW games, but I don't see their games ever really taking off without heavily being reworked.

I'm not that keen on many of Mantic's minis as I don't think they look as good as other stuff available, but they are very inexpensive in comparison to other manufacturers.

GarthVaderUK said:
I'm not that keen on many of Mantic's minis as I don't think they look as good as other stuff available, but they are very inexpensive in comparison to other manufacturers.

I think it's been very hit and miss with them. Thought their dwarves are hideous, lot of the undead range was mediocre, but their orcs are fantastic. So far my biggest problem with them besides the lack of good rules is that they completely have no originality, they are just so blatantly making figures that mimic GW stuff as they are just trying to bit into the sales of people not wanting to pay high gw prices. There rules seem to just be an excuse for them at this point to say they are not copying GW.

Course much of mantic is former GW employees and many have said that they are trying to take back their old games by skirting around IP laws.

I was hoping when they announced warpath that we would see something original from them, but then they show space dwarves and orcs and saw those rules.

So, the new Ogre Kingdoms army book is coming in September (hurrah!), written by Jeremy Vetock and Jervis Johnson (confirmed in the latest White Dwarf). Can't wait to see the new stuff!

GWS has been putting out some excellent stuff lately across both ranges. Forge world has been doing great things as well.

Those ogre minis are fantastic! What's with all the huge kits lately? They must be money makers because every army in every range seem to be getting these huge and expensive units.

SillyEskimo said:
GWS has been putting out some excellent stuff lately across both ranges. Forge world has been doing great things as well.

Those ogre minis are fantastic! What's with all the huge kits lately? They must be money makers because every army in every range seem to be getting these huge and expensive units.

The cost to make the bigger miniatures really is not all that much. The most expensive part of the model making is the plastic moulds which cost a ton to make. A small miniature really is not going to cost a ton more in plastic than a giant one, so these big items likely bring in tons of money. So they really have been pumping lot of giant kits for almost every new army version now.

Talked about the boardgame before in here, but the Dust Tactics game is getting a full miniature rule set with Dust Warefare :http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_minisite.asp?eidm=173&enmi=Dust Warfare

Lets you use the miniatures used in the Dust tactics game but with a full miniature game rule system designed by Andy Chambers. Pretty cool setting and really you can get the miniatures real cheap. Andy Chambers also makes excellent rules, his Star Ship Troopers rules were amazing, sadly the miniatures and support for that game was awful.

Top Bottom