• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eric Andre speaks out against promoting Kodak Black and XXXTentacion

Link.
When people hear the name Eric Andre, they're usually thinking about his work in the comedy world, and not what he thinks about hip hop's responsibility to promote certain messages. But Andre is quite at home talking rap music, and has regularly invited rappers like ASAP Rocky and T.I. to be guests on The Eric Andre Show.

So keep that in mind when reading critique he has of some up-and-coming rappers. Andre went on an extended rant on his Twitter account over the weekend, spotlighting what he believes is a disturbing trend in hip-hop. He spotlighted Kodak Black and XXXTentacion specifically as two artists who he regularly saw covered by hip-hop outlets, despite their well-documented issues away from the studio.

As mentioned by Andre, both rappers have a troubled history with violence, particularly against women. XXXTentacion was alleged to have strangled and beat up his pregnant girlfriend in October 2016, a situation that has presented a number of legal complications in the months since. Black has an even bigger rap sheet, having been accused of raping a woman in South Carolina on top of various charges on separate occasions around his home state of Florida.

Andre wasn't done there, and continued to go in on the two for their obvious shortcomings. He pleaded with his followers to treat sexism more seriously, whether it was tied to hip-hop music or not.

The hip-hop community has shown it can change over time—as the LGBT community has become more accepted, you hear a lot less gay slurs in 2017 than you would have even 10 years ago—and it still needs to reconcile its problematic treatment and views of women. It's something that has plagued the genre for decades, and we need more voices like Andre's to acknowledge the issue and get the ball rolling.

Here are the tweets mentioned:
ZEjyimP.png
Both of these artist were featured on XXL's Freshman List:
Ugly God and Lil Yachty stay winning.

NandoGip

If this is the hill you choose to die on, at least wage a crusade against other fuckers too like movie directors and actors who have done heinous shit

also politicians, business owners, etc

Bronx-Man

Banned
If this is the hill you choose to die on, at least wage a crusade against other fuckers too like movie directors and actors who have done heinous shit

You can focus on more than one person at the same time.

Or maybe he shouldn't be judged for weighing in on the issues in the industry he's heavily invested in.

BajiBoxer

Banned

That's stupid. Just because you don't call out every other dirtbag on the planet you can't criticize people in an industry you're passionate about?

IrishNinja

good on dude - hip hop culture has gotten a lot better over the years, but shit like this needs to stay being called out

like every time joey buddens manifests

fuck this "everything or nothing" poor logic

Xe4

Banned

Why? If you focus on one troubling industry you're heavily invested in, you can make a lot more change than if you speak out against everyone.

Also, it's not a hill to die on. Hip Hop has a sexism problem and people like Andre should be applauded for trying to change that.

Kthulhu

We have a thread about Josh Weadon, multiple threads about Trump every day, and gaming side routinely talks about the portrayal of women in games.

Dudes are trash human beings. It's unfortunate because I thought XXX was musically interesting at least before I found out that crap and he turned into a real edgelord.

Lois_Lane

Why wouldn't he tackle the area he has the most power in? His fan base probably overlaps with these guys bases too so he can have a worthwhile effect unlike,say, going after Trump.

Not everyone needs to be involved in everything.

If you're not just being disingenuous, hen you're going at it all wrong. Doing what you're saying only dilutes the message, and ends up helping no one.

ZeroX03

Banned
Good on Eric.

according to the last thread we had on this subject (misogyny in some, though far from all, rap) it's ok because it's a power fantasy

IIRC wasn't there people being like "it's okay if they've killed people, I'm fine with that".

what is this

according to the last thread we had on this subject (misogyny in some, though far from all, rap) it's ok because it's a power fantasy
In this case where we have two artists that have a history of violence towards women, it becomes really hard to ignore all the songs that include misogynistic lyrics. Obviously things change if you really are out to hurt people.

Zaph

I think you're conflating two things to make a point.

Depictions of violence and misogyny in art (being music, tv, games whatever) is a very different discussion to Eric calling out two rappers who have very serious charges/accusations against them.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?

Maybe ask yourself if this is the hill you want to die on

Yes, that oh so dangerous hill of defending rape and abuse victims.

Infinite

Wasn't Kodak black the guy who said all black women are ugly? Or something that came across that way? Fuck that guy and the other Yugi Moto looking ass nigga too.

jWILL253

Banned

Nigga, this the same shit White people pull on us whenever a Black person is killed by the police. "Why focus on this one incident? What about Black on Black crime? Why focus on this when there are kids dying in Africa?"

Just admit you don't give a fuck about misogyny in Hip-Hop and keep it moving. Don't pull this corny-ass whataboutism.

Clefargle

Do you mean gaf or Eric Andre? Because people do criticize directors etc, check that Wheaton thread

smoothj

This just gets them more attention. XXX got beat up at a show here in San Diego not too long ago. These dudes will fizzle when their off stage antics are getting more play than their music. Shit at least I hope that's the case.

Does anyone know if Kodak and XXX glorify this kind of woman abusing behavior in their music?
Here's a couple of songs from XXX:

YuNg BrAtZ:
I got black in my voots
My name Toby, like I'm Roots
Grab that bat, Babe Ruth
Swing that bitch might lose a tooth
She suck dick with no tooth
My nose runny like "achoo"
With that pussy, I got coins
Might insert right in her groin

Look At Me:
I took a white bitch to Starbucks
That little bitch got her throat fucked
I like to rock out like I'm misfit
My emo bitch like her wrist slit
Curly hair bitch like I'm Corbin
Got, like, three bitches, I'm Mormon
Skeet on your main bitch's forehead
Don't want your pussy, just want head

Maxipads For Everyone:
I do not know you, I do not know you, I got amnesia
I am not Kodak, I'm not from the Noya
But boy I'll kidnap you, don't tease me
She suck my dick, your bitch suck my dick, it did not please me
You a sucka, you a lil' lollipop, lick on my dick like I'm Weezy

All these songs make him look worse when you add his history of violence towards women.

Top Bottom