• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT8| Elise's Extremely Irresponsible Field Trip To Un'Goro

Status
Not open for further replies.

bjaelke

35201.png

Don Han'Cho reminds me a bit of this guy. You get the 10 stats in hand though and not on the board, but both have certain requirements before they can be activated and they're both very strong albeit a bit boring.

Pooya

I'm just looking at some reviews and it's like everyone dismisses Lunar Visions because Nourish is strictly better. Is it though? In spell druid sure Nourish is better, but let's say in C'Thun druid or beast druid, Lunar Visions seems like a better choice overall than Nourish. You can't afford to ramp with Nourish in those decks. Getting ramp and draw at the same time seems strong in minion based druid decks, for the cost of one less draw seems reasonable.

Portugeezer

I'm just looking at some reviews and it's like everyone dismisses Lunar Visions because Nourish is strictly better. Is it though? In spell druid sure Nourish is better, but let's say in C'Thun druid or beast druid, Lunar Visions seems like a better choice overall than Nourish. You can't afford to ramp with Nourish in those decks. Getting ramp and draw at the same time seems strong in minion based druid decks, for the cost of one less draw seems reasonable.
If it hits 2 minions it is really good. If it hits 1 it's breaking even. So yeah, overall a good card.

Szadek

The problem is that the cards needs to 2 minions regualrly to be good and there are so many spells you don't want to lose:
Innovate, Wrath,Living roots, Swipe, Raven idol, Wild Growth, Mulch and Moonglade Portal.
Most of these cards a very hard to replace.
Together with LV you will at least have 10 spells (probably more) in your deck.

Hitting 1 minion isn't good, since you are basically playing a worse arcane intellect, which is only worth playing in tempo mage because of spell synergies anyway, and drawing 0 is obviously terrible.

Farewell

Yeah i don't trust card reviews anymore after pro players said things like mysterious challanger, dr. boom or patron are weak and not playable or that troggzor will be so op haha.

fertygo

If you made ramp druid you basically only replace 2 monfire there with minion, the consequence for the whiff gonna sucks for that card

Pooya

That's ok because ramp druid doesn't play moonfires.... Ramp druid is a deck that's just big guys and ramp spells. Even there I think Nourish is better than this actually because you want to hit 10 mana asap.

it's a card draw for midrange druid which plays for tempo. We don't really have that right now. It used to be a thing... when ancient of lore was a card. You have about 8 spells in a midrange deck. It could work very well.

Being able to play the cards you draw and keep the pressure, it's really good. I think the card should be really good in beast druid for example. Like you play innervate, wrath and swipe as your only other spells beside this. Living roots and raven idols rotate out soon and they're not even good in that deck. Right now Fandral existing and being as broken as it is, I guess there is not enough incentive to try, but Fandral could become worse in near future if we're not getting good new and cheap choose one cards.

I wonder what makes shaku, the rogue legendary, good? I wonder if they'll make a mechanic to buff stealth minions in some way, perhaps not taking damage when attacking from stealth. If they do something like that, maybe finja works there.

Pooya

rogue's mechanic - buffing stealth minions in your hand xD

and they nerf conceal later. give your stealth minions +1/+1

my guess is that nothing makes shaku good. that's more likely...

I hope the two rogue cards are all that have to do with stealth actually, they can't make stealth good because it's not interactive so if that's rogue's thing in this set they're not going to get good cards.

Peléo

rogue's mechanic - buffing stealth minions in your hand xD

and they nerf conceal later. give your stealth minions +1/+1

my guess is that nothing makes shaku good. that's more likely...

I hope the two rogue cards are all that have to do with stealth actually, they can't make stealth good because it's not interactive so if that's rogue's thing in this set they're not going to get good cards.

I think Blizzard will one day change the Stealth mechanic to 1 turn only (like Conceal and Master of Disguise work). It will break a few cards (Moroes/Blood Imp) but it will fix some of the non interactive issues that might me limiting the design space.

Xanathus

The problem with Lunar Visions is that even in Ramp Druid you still play 2 copies of Wild Growth, Innervate, Wrath, Swipe, Lunar Visions and then on top of that possibly 2 copies of Raven Idol, Living Roots, Moonglade Portal, Mulch. So that's at least 10 spells and up to 18 spells, an average Ramp Druid deck would have around 15 spells on average. That's half your deck which means the odds of getting a minion for each Lunar Vision draw is around 50%.

Peléo;224309961 said:
I think Blizzard will one day change the Stealth mechanic to 1 turn only (like Conceal and Master of Disguise work). It will break a few cards (Moroes/Blood Imp) but it will fix some of the non interactive issues that might me limiting the design space.

Why would they do that? Stealth minions are hardly broken in the first place. Really, not even broken at all tbh.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
The problem with Lunar Visions is that even in Ramp Druid you still play 2 copies of Wild Growth, Innervate, Wrath, Swipe, Lunar Visions and then on top of that possibly 2 copies of Raven Idol, Living Roots, Moonglade Portal, Mulch. So that's at least 10 spells and up to 18 spells, an average Ramp Druid deck would have around 15 spells on average. That's half your deck which means the odds of getting a minion for each Lunar Vision draw is around 50%.

I think it might work better as a Beast Druid card. That deck can probably get away with 8-10 spells.

Xanathus

I think it might work better as a Beast Druid card. That deck can probably get away with 8-10 spells.

Even in Beast Druid you run 2x Innervate, Mark of Yshaarj, Power of the Wild, Living Roots, Swipe, Lunar Visions, and 1 or 2 Savage Roar. So that's 12-14 spells depending on which 2x spells you want to run only 1 off. Curator is simply a far better option for Beast Druid to draw cards as all you need to do is put in Azure Drakes and maybe Finley which are all good cards anyway. And you don't lose tempo from playing Curator.

Dahbomb

The problem with Lunar Vision is a Druid one, not the actual design of the card.

You need to hit two minions for it to be worth it. Alright so I just make a deck full of minions as Druid right? It worked for Aggro Druid in pre Standard maybe it can work again?

Alright let's look at the spells I would need in this minion heavy deck. I need to use Innervate because it's too broken not to use. I need to use Swipe because it's too good not to use. I need to use Living Roots because it's also too good especially in aggressive decks. I need to use Wrath because I need to get value off of Fandral because Fandral is too good not to use. With Swipe, Roots and Wrath I need to use Azure Drake too because it's too good not to use.

Wait...if I am using Drake and Wrath in a minion heavy deck... why do I need even more draw? I can just add in Curator, fill the rest with Beast and call it a day.

So you see when you sit down to make a Druid deck you realize that Druid has way too many auto include cards that get in the way of using that card. You end up using 10 spells anyway and that's not the ratio you want if you want to exploit Lunar Visions.

Lunar Vsion might work but I feel that the challenge of making a minion based Druid deck is not the lack of draw but the lack of stable/sticky minions. It's easy to clear a Beast Druid board that isn't Stranglethorn Tiger. Otherwise it's a very solid deck.

We still have to see the rest of the Druid cards though. Maybe a minion centric deck is possible with the new cards and post rotation with Loving Roots going out.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Even in Beast Druid you run 2x Innervate, Mark of Yshaarj, Power of the Wild, Living Roots, Swipe, Lunar Visions, and 1 or 2 Savage Roar. So that's 12-14 spells depending on which 2x spells you want to run only 1 off. Curator is simply a far better option for Beast Druid to draw cards as all you need to do is put in Azure Drakes and maybe Finley which are all good cards anyway. And you don't lose tempo from playing Curator.

Power of the Wild isn't a must-include. You can swap that for something like Huge Toad or Darnassus Aspirant. And you don't have to include a copy of Savage Roar either. You can get your burst through something like Leeroy or include a top-end card like Ragnaros.

patchday

Yeah i don't trust card reviews anymore after pro players said things like mysterious challanger, dr. boom or patron are weak and not playable or that troggzor will be so op haha.

wow they said all those things? That's a big fail.

I still really enjoying watching their predictions but like this post eludes to- much better to just trust your gut I think

Pooya

Maybe it's not used right away but eventually it could be good. It's not like it's a terrible useless effect. It can be quite powerful. Far worse cards have seen play now in standard and this is not bad at all, I don't think you can dismiss it like that.

Take Nourish for example, before lore nerf no one played that, it was considered bad now it's auto include. Maybe a minion based druid deck becomes a thing then you want this not nourish.

You don't play power of the wild in beast druid, it's not very useful. You can cut it down to innervate/swipe/mark. wrath is not a good card for an aggressive deck. with some new cards that could replace the old keeper for board interaction, you can have a minion based deck next year potentially. it's not exactly far reaching.

MC was easy to underrate it's pretty much avenge that broke the card. Remember MC is still legal in standard and hardly sees play, I've actually not have a single one played against me so far.

Peléo

So it will be the lotus legendary? Cool!

Is it confirmed it will be the Lotus? If that's the case, it will probably give us a good idea of what the Lotus mechanic actually is.

My bet it the Warrior Legendary, to close out all Grimy Gums.

Edit: Forget everything I've said, just opened the tweet. Hopefully it will give us a better idea on the Jade Lotus mechanic. I think Kazakus means Kabal will have a card-generation mechanic, cards similar to Xaril.

Farewell

wow they said all those things? That's a big fail.

I still really enjoying watching their predictions but like this post eludes to- much better to just trust your gut I think

Here are some of them:

Mysterious challenger

https://youtu.be/oWpHQi8OAKI

Dr. Boom and some others

https://youtu.be/3kO6zb_TKek

https://youtu.be/yIXTLKKNafc

https://youtu.be/W0_N1XdODuY

Don't get me wrong the reviews are sure worth to watch and you can get some good ideas from the pros, but in the end we need to wait for the expansion to actually release and test decks. They are also right most of the time about the predictions.

This was a fun maly rogue game. Made a new list with 1 burgle in it. I got a charged hammer. Queued into control shaman, managed to get a 14/14 van cleef with him having no hex lol... and just wiped the floor from there.

So why burgle in maly rogue? Well tbh, swashburglar works right? But I always get shitty rng off swash and burgle's second card is probably more relevant than swash's 1 body. And rogue never has a turn 3 play without coin anyway. Here is the list

Dahbomb

The more legit "pros" get way more right than wrong. Talking about people like Reynad, Kibler here... not Chakki or Kripp (who you want to listen for Arena not Constructed predictions).

Out of 132 cards they will get like 13-15 wrong. So 9/10 they are still correct. But it's usually stuff that almost everyone gets wrong like Spirit Claws, Yogg Sauron etc.

Xanathus

I don't really remember watching the reviews for TGT much but I remember very well that as soon as Mysterious Challenger was revealed I was theorycrafting Secret Paladin decks and posting them here because I could tell that it was busted as hell. And a certain someone was saying that Secret Keeper would not be played in it, and I should have put Mad Scientist in the deck Kappa.

Dahbomb

I don't really remember watching the reviews for TGT much but I remember very well that as soon as Mysterious Challenger was revealed I was theorycrafting Secret Paladin decks and posting them here because I could tell that it was busted as hell. And a certain someone was saying that Secret Keeper would not be played in it, and I should have put Mad Scientist in the deck Kappa.
And I was with you in that.

In TGT people were losing their mind over stuff like Varian Wryn, Aviana and Mistcaller.

Pooya

pretty much every in here or elsewhere argued shield maiden is better than jusitcar and you can't afford to play jusitcar. That was like the biggest mis judgment of a card this side of Dr. Boom.

It was obviously good I thought. Those flawed 3 turns to be good logic looks silly now.

Dahbomb

Most people did the math on Justicar and said it would be best in Warrior, Priest and Paladin with Druid as the 4th best. That's pretty much what ended up happening although Justicar ended up being even better in Warrior than expected.

Shield Maiden is still better than Justicar if the game is not longer than 8-9 turns. Thing is that people played BOTH Shield Maiden and Justicar in the same deck so it really didn't matter anyway.

inky

More likely, we all remember the few times we had it right and forget all about the other shit. I too thought MC was a disgusting card, but what made it disgusting was the stupid curve other cards enabled for Paladin, and sometimes it's just much harder to see those interactions and the full picture.

It's not only about one deck working one way either, it's about what it's coming up against too, which is even harder to gauge.

Szadek

I did some math on Lunar Vision.
If you play 10 spells ,including LV, you odds of drawing s minons about 46% and the chance of drawing 2 spells only about 9%.
That could be good enough get played.

Farewell

Peléo;224317497 said:
Is it confirmed it will be the Lotus? If that's the case, it will probably give us a good idea of what the Lotus mechanic actually is.

My bet it the Warrior Legendary, to close out all Grimy Gums.

Edit: Forget everything I've said, just opened the tweet. Hopefully it will give us a better idea on the Jade Lotus mechanic. I think Kazakus means Kabal will have a card-generation mechanic, cards similar to Xaril.

Oh he posted on reddit that the legendary is just associated with lotus lore wise.

https://m.reddit.com/r/hearthstone/comments/5cqote/toast_to_reveal_legendary_card_on_stream/

Still excited though.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I didn't just call MC bad prerelease, I called it bad as it was gaining popularity post release.

Missed that one badly.

Dahbomb

Don't worry, I called Fandral overrated, Spirit Claws bad (why would you ever play this) and Tunnel Trogg bad.

Never, ever, ever underestimate 1 mana cards.

2-0 with dragon priest list off tempostorm, must be OP!

Toast's reveal must be a druid or shaman legendary if it's not the triclass legendary. I guess it could be neutral but that is more interesting then.

bjaelke

More likely, we all remember the few times we had it right and forget all about the other shit.
That's unfortunately not true in my case. I've created a couple of gold legendaries as I thought they'd become staple in the "new" meta. So browsing through my collection
constantly reminds me of my mistakes.

Dahbomb

You say there is a chance for a good buffadin deck?

Please say yes

184px-Smuggler's_Run(49676).png
Mathematically it's a good card so it definitely has potential in Snowballadin. You don't feel as bad skipping turn 1 vs turn 2.

You have to hit 3 minions with it in your hand though. If you can't consistently pull that off then it's probably not worth using. As it's a spell, it doesn't get buffed by other cards in the deck which is definitely relevant.

I still think MC was overrated, but now that they have n'zoth, silence nerfed, bgh nerfed, blade flurry nerfed... well things are different now. If TGT's MC existed now... booo.

Farewell

Mathematically it's a good card so it definitely has potential in Snowballadin. You don't feel as bad skipping turn 1 vs turn 2.

You have to hit 3 minions with it in your hand though. If you can't consistently pull that off then it's probably not worth using. As it's a spell, it doesn't get buffed by other cards in the deck which is definitely relevant.

Ok, i can live with that!

wiibomb

it's a 1 mana spell, it can fit a lot of turns where there is just 1 mana left to spend, and it can be combined with another minion played on the same turn.

I actually think this can be a very versatile card, fitting in many turns depending the circumstance and the mana curve.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom