• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Vs. Capcom: Infinite Characters and Stages Roster |DT2| oh dear...

Status
Not open for further replies.
As far as I can tell, they've updated nothing. It's just that they're showing more visually appealing stages and characters and people are getting used to the "look" of the game.

Game still has horrendous art direction and the bad looking parts still look bad. Only we're now seeing the good parts as well.

I'm pretty sure it's just that the AIMbrella stage has better lighting on it than other stages.

MrCarter

Gotta love how Capcom was consistent with Spider-Man's Infinity Stone-using pose between MSH & MvCI.

DFc7L7EXYAEmOYJ

It would be cool if the stones lit up like the image on the right.

vg260

Huge system changes from MvC2&3, the Infinity Gem gameplay concept, comes out near the release of the IW movie with the Marvel universe eclipsing Capcom in mindshare. It feels like a spiritual sequel, but with half the roster cannibalized by Capcom characters. It feels closer in spirit to a true MSH sequel than a successor to MvC2&3.

I would have rathered they keep this all Marvel with 2v2 as+ gems as its own thing to maximize the Marvel, IW connection and get more Marvel favorites in, and save MvC4 as 3v3 down the road. Of course Capcom would not want to sit on their own properties for that long.

What a garbage demo. Everything about the game is disappointing so far. Mvc3 had so much character compared to this bland thing.

Only redeeming factor is they have thanos.

Skilletor

Huge system changes from MvC2&3, the Infinity Gem gameplay concept, comes out near the release of the IW movie with the Marvel universe eclipsing Capcom in mindshare. It feels like a spiritual sequel, but with half the roster cannibalized by Capcom characters. It feels closer in spirit to a true MSH sequel than a successor to MvC2&3.

I would have rathered they keep this all Marvel with 2v2 as+ gems as its own thing to maximize the Marvel, IW connection and get more Marvel favorites in, and save MvC4 as 3v3 down the road. Of course Capcom would not want to sit on their own properties for that long.

I agree with this.

tangled55

I just don't think this game can ever surpass UMvC3's roster no matter who they add with DLC. (From Jean Grey to C.Viper...from Nova to Trish...these are some very strong/bold choices that was hard to actually fathom when I first saw them..)

Everyone can tell my bias for the X-men's inclusion (it can still happen, although I'm pretty sure it won't), but Capcom's side in this general roster is just...pedestrian. It's almost inexcusable.

I mean, other than Jedah, where's the surprise? The hype factor? And why the Morrigan nerf especially with chip meaning essentially nothing in this game (plus the ability deflect fireballs)?

I just want MvC4. I'll play this game and enjoy it and buy it day 1, but, the mechanic changes to the bizarre/small roster is just hard to digest.

Plus it would let more unknown characters be shown, hopefully. And would give MvC4 a wider pool of characters to pick from.

Jawmuncher

I wouldn't even be in this thread if capcom wasn't here lol. Since I'm the side saying marvel needs to go lol.

I just don't think this game can ever surpass UMvC3's roster no matter who they add with DLC. (From Jean Grey to C.Viper...from Nova to Trish...these are some very strong/bold choices that was hard to actually fathom when I first saw them..)

Everyone can tell my bias for the X-men's inclusion (it can still happen, although I'm pretty sure it won't), but Capcom's side in this general roster is just...pedestrian. It's almost inexcusable.

I mean, other than Jedah, where's the surprise? The hype factor? And why the Morrigan nerf especially with chip meaning essentially nothing in this game (plus the ability deflect fireballs)?

I just want MvC4. I'll play this game and enjoy it and buy it day 1, but, the mechanic changes to the bizarre/small roster is just hard to digest.

Yeah, Capcoms roster picks are super odd compared to marvels. There was definitely a bit of function over characters for their side.

Orb

I'd trade every Marvel character just for Vergil and Wesker tbqh

Also as the only one who remembers Shuma Gorath, him too

vg260

I wouldn't even be in this thread if capcom wasn't here lol. Since I'm the side saying marvel needs to go lol.

Well, if they did a Capcom All Stars, Marvel fans would be left out, and for a MSH2, some Capcom fans would be left out. People wanted both at various points.

I still stand by the opinion that this game as designed feels more like it should be a pure Marvel one even though Capcom has my favorite gaming IPs. Not every non-SF game has to have some sort of vs element.

Anyone think the DLC characters will have their own Arcade endings?
Assuming there are Arcade endings. This game might get Tekken 7'd in that department.

But DLC characters in SFV are feature complete. No reason to assume otherwise for MvCI. If the vanilla characters have stuff in-game, the DLC characters should be the same.

Jawmuncher

The ESRB came out. Nothing new. Basically just says Morrigan is the most revealing character in the game and Frank drinks alcohol. Someone also says Ass.

DFgXgHYUMAAmVTR.jpg:large

Credit to wario64 for posting furst

Might be updated but this is probably it as far as the ESRB goes. So Jedah probably doesn't have any form of decapitation or else it'd be mentioned in here. Looks like the change to purple let's him skate on by.

-----

Also currently there's discussion on Gamora being a reuse Frankenstein. Presented without comment

DFdJ6sFXsAQcdNy
DFdJ86jWsAAEyss

Source @_watsu

Taramoor

As cool as this is, it makes me wonder why X has 4 specials outside of the Buster, two of which are anti airs and one of which is too slow with too awkward a hitbox to be useful, as well as having only one air special, which is also just buster, which he can't charge while moving for some reason.

At least he's fast.

Well X also has his auto follow up moves after the buster as well as the ability to cancel a special into a second special. He's not hurting for options.

TreIII

Yes. All this. I probably would have been much more happier/content with this.

J-Tier

Might be updated but this is probably it as far as the ESRB goes. So Jedah probably doesn't have any form of decapitation or else it'd be mentioned in here. Looks like the change to purple let's him skate on by
It's so weird to me that it ended up being their solution to Jedah getting into this game. I was championing Jedah ever since Ryce's "villain with crazy animations" hint and posed this as one of the solutions (different colored blood primarily), but it was definitely a long shot at the time.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
"theres a discussion..."

jesus christ Munch. Man, you really... you really fell down a weird hole in the last year.

Coda

I mean I could see some of the comparisons with Gamora but it isn't as clear and obvious as this person is making it seem.

Also why are people getting mad about asset recycling these days? MVC2 was the king of asset recycling and we all regard that game as probably the best MVC game.

Ryce

They're definitely recycling animations for the returning characters, and I'm honestly fine with that, but claims that the newcomers are Frankenstein hodgepodges of old characters is complete BS. I'm sure if you look hard enough one of Gamora's sword swings might remind you of a frame of animation from an eight year old game, but that's only because there are only so many ways to swing a sword. The Vs. series probably has something like 100 sword attacks between all of its characters, and some of them are bound to resemble each other. That doesn't mean the animation was recycled or that Capcom is being lazy with the new characters. There's a lot about this game worth legitimately criticizing, so there's no need for Dhalsim levels of reaching.

J-Tier

This allergic attitude some people have towards reused content is silly.
Yeah, this makes little sense to me. Reusing assets saves time and money, it's a win-win. Devs can focus on newer content, instead of recreating the same old content (which makes no sense to do at all), and we get more content in general. MvCi's situation is slightly different, but I've seen people flipping out over reused assets in any capacity.

i don't understand why they nerfed chris but buffed zero

i thought about it and i still don't understand considering the overall system mechanic changes

like magnum being faster and forcing you to reload, even on tag out is vaguely novel

but then his fire grenade, man
what the hell is his gameplan now

this line of thought was spurred on from watching RE vendetta
Same thing with Zero in UMvC3. Got buffed even though he was top tier, which led to him being absurd.
Finally some non garbage Dante play:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eBekxoh8Bw

Drive causes a wall bounce!

At least Buster can be reflected back and it retains properties (so ground bounce if its an aerial Buster, Wall bounce if its a straight ground one).
God Morrigan looks awful.

This allergic attitude some people have towards reused content is silly.
They recycled 90% of this game. It's a fair criticism.

JAXXX

I dont have any problems with reused animations either unless CAPCOM reuses the animations from my favorite character.
So i better not see one of these new characters using a ...
Typhoon, Whirlwind or hail storm motion.
Unless Capcom is planning on redesigning Storm's moveset when she is finally revealed as DLC 2018.
LOL

Sesha

They recycled 90% of this game. It's a fair criticism.

There's a difference between criticising the amount of reused content and the old-new ratio, and criticising the reuse any content. A lot of the general criticism made towards the game has varying degrees of the latter attitude.

Even if it were true and all the newcomers were 100% made up of recycled assets of cut characters from umvc3 it really wouldn't be a big deal since these frankenstein characters will play nothing like those cut characters.

DarkDreamTCK

Neo Member
Well X also has his auto follow up moves after the buster as well as the ability to cancel a special into a second special. He's not hurting for options.

He's got options but not very many are good for him to use my himself. I keep seeing these videos with all these combo extensions from like Strider, Zero, Gamora, Spider man, Frank, etc but I don't see pretty much anything besides magic series into air magic series for X. Only fancy thing I've seen for him is buster into slide into launch. Just don't seem like much.

If they so much as made frost shield have its X3 show moving forward path and made it air ok it'd open up a lot for him. Or give him followups to air buster even if they're all movement options. I'd def take air buster forward air dash follow up into extension.

As it stands he just seems pretty basic and situational. Like his sole purpose is to make his partner better.

J-Tier

Even if it were true and all the newcomers were 100% made up of recycled assets of cut characters from umvc3 it really wouldn't be a big deal since these frankenstein characters will play nothing like those cut characters.
This is clearly one of those rare cases of "lazy devs". They go to work, half ass everything, take long lunches, copy paste bada bing bada boom-- a beta that they can charge $60+ for.

You know what's funny about the recycling thing?

That shit's being upvoted like hell on kappa, calling Capcom lazy and such, but if you point out that Chloe is the only newcomer in T7 that doesn't frankenstein animations, prepare to get jumped.

The reality is that the 'cinematic story mode' probably saps a lot of the resources that might have gone into new characters. Reusing old characters and animations probably helps blunt some of the costs of development that went into that. That said, MvCI is on a different engine than MvC3 so I think even porting old characters over takes more time and effort than some people are giving credit for.

Also those accusations of these characters being "Frankensteins" is utterly ridiculous. It seems the general consensus that if anything the brand new characters are better animated than the ones that were ported over from MvC3.

Skab

Vergil can stay forgotten, thanks. Had my fill of him in the last game.

That shit's being upvoted like hell on kappa, calling Capcom lazy and such, but if you point out that Chloe is the only newcomer in T7 that doesn't frankenstein animations, prepare to get jumped.

This is why you never go there

BadWolf

Tekken 7 got plenty of hate for its visuals and animation recycling.

It wasn't until Fated Retribution that people started warming up to it.

People are complaining about the graphics and I'm over here disappointed to no end with the music. That remix of Central Highway is a complete travesty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom