• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games that should be played on easy

Soar

I can only speak for myself, but I played the entire Uncharted series on easy as I really hated the waves of bullet sponges.

Nier:Automata is really quite stress free on normal
once you get the chip that auto heals you.
I'm trying hard on my second play through and it's perfect most times but silly punishing at points.

I also played Uncharted 2 (the only one I've played) on easy as I enjoyed the spectacle but not the gameplay.

Also used the dev cheats in Alan Wake on steam, because I enjoyed the story but thought the gameplay was repetitive trash.

I played most of Final Fantasy 7 a few years ago with an action replay card that cut out all random battles and made my characters massively overpowered.
I enjoy the atmosphere and story of JRPGs, but I despise grinding.

I think you should play on easy/cheat in any single player game where doing so will increase your enjoyment of the experience.

I love arcade games that demand high skill, but for the majority of story/cinematic games that have lousy gameplay anyway, I'll happily play on easy.

But normal poses no challenge to begin with.

Not on console maybe. My game crashed 3 times after beating the next-to-last boss, which meant having to redo the fight. Switched the difficulty after and couldn't be happier. The enemies aren't challenging but they can be pretty spongy, especially on PC when you have to do them over and over again due to crashes.

KHlover

Banned
I had a lot of fun running around and punching dudes in the face or one-shotting them with the shotty revolver thingy in Uncharted 2 on Easy.

Blueingreen

Really?=O

The games are designed with the easy difficulty in mind to service the "flow" of their setpiece's, the harder difficulties tends to break the gameplay, Uncharted 3 on crushing is one of the most horribly unbalanced AAA games I've ever played,
So much so I didn't even bother playing 4 on crushing, balancing isn't one of naughty dogs strengths Imo.

sublimit

Banned
Ni no kuni.Good story,characters and art direction but the combat was so bad that it wasn't worth it the frustration of anything other than easy mode.
i enjoyed the game much more when i switched from normal to easy.

UrbanRats

I always play Uncharted games (and Last of Us) on Hard... but Uncharted 4, even Normal is too annoying in my opinion.
You die so fast that you're pushed to hole behind cover instead of have fun and experiment with the rope and navigation.

I regret playing it on Normal the first time, let alone Hard.

MikeyB

Typically racing games, for me.

I had all sorts of assists added in DiRT 3 and will play on easier modes in any racer that approaches sim like quality. Something about thumbsticks and driving games doesn't work for me and I am not about to shell out for a wheel.

Persona 4
Just when I thought I was getting into the groove of the mechanics.....visual novel mode would kick in for like 5hrs and when it came back to dungeon crawling I'd forgotten what if learned and the frustration set in. Repeat this over a few months and reset with easy was much better idea.

Drakhyrr

BioShock 1 and 2. The enemies are too bullet spongy otherwise. Normal was fine on Infinite, IIRC.

Other than that, I very rarely drop from normal, or occasionally hard. The one other game I can remember right now is Dragon Age: Origins. I actually quit because it was hard and the story didn't grab me. I will try it again later, but this time, definitely on easy.

Soar

Persona 4
Just when I thought I was getting into the groove of the mechanics.....visual novel mode would kick in for like 5hrs and when it came back to dungeon crawling I'd forgotten what if learned and the frustration set in. Repeat this over a few months and reset with easy was much better idea.

Yeah I agree, though if you play P4 Golden normal is a bit easy due to the updated card mechanics. You can abuse this to make sure you hit the final boss at max SP without using consumables even at later dungeons.

SPCTRE

It's a very personal preference for me, and it's not always about the concept of difficulty per se - sometimes I just feel lazy, sometimes I'm in it for reasons other than fulfilling (challenging) gameplay, sometimes I don't enjoy the core gameplay, or a combination of all of those.

All of which makes it hard to really recommend difficulties (the way some devs do it with their wording - "the way it's meant to be played").

*Splinter

I wish I played the Witcher 3 on easy. 95% of the game is mind-numbingly easy anyway, might as well get rid of the random difficulty spikes.

Keinning

The Witcher III.

Couldnt be more wrong
The game is pathetic in anything but the last difficulty. Makes the combat looks even worse. And its not a "git gud" post by any means, the only trouble you have during the hardest difficulty is the tutorial fight with the ghouls, after that it feels like a regular game again.

I made the mistake of playing on normal first and almost dropped the game because it was too dull

Fbh

Honestly I wouldn't blame people for playing Persona 5 on easy.
Many play it mostly for the story so it's a good way to get past the dungeons fast.

I like the dungeons but I still ended up dropping the difficulty down from hard to normal (except for bosses) because having some bad luck and having the main character die (which triggers game over) and then being forced to replay 30 minutes of content really feels unnecessary when I'm already 70 hours into the game.

PARANO1A

I'm surprisingly impatient with most games but Catherine was one I'd high recommend playing on normal. As a puzzle game, the challenge is on using your brain to work through problems rather than just brute forcing to through a level. It's a thrill when you land it right.

Outside of Spec Ops The Line, I loved playing Soma with the 'no monster' mod as a piece of interactive fiction.

Lots of games have gameplay that just doesn't match the quality of the narrative and are worth dropping down. Deadly Premonition and Nier (and maybe the sequel) are all good examples.

HylianTom

Banned
I only just started playing cave story so I thought I'd chuck it on easy. Damn the end Boss(es) are killing me.
Similar experience here.

I tried Normal difficulty a few weeks ago and got my butt handed to me. So I played through on Easy a few times for the different endings, and then finally tried a playthrough on Normal this past weekend. Died a lot at the end of the game.

PrimeBeef

I play most games on easy these days. Having a job and kids means my game time is limited and therefore I normally just play for the experience.
Outside of raiding in WoW and harder levels and higher greater rifts in D3, I play my games at easy or normal. Sometimes I'll go back and try a harder difficulty if I enjoyed the game enough.

Keinning

Witcher 3

Combat is so boring and repetitive, not worth the hassle

See, i don't get this
I'm not defending the combat in witcher III by any means - it is limited and boring at times, yes. But it gets even worse when you play on easy and spam the same sign - attack over and over. At least on death march you sometimes have to use the eventual odd sign - potion - oil - crossbow and change things up. I'd go as far as saying witcher III is one of the few games you should be playing on hard, just to make an already basic combat system not look even worse

Couldnt be more wrong
The game is pathetic in anything but the last difficulty. Makes the combat looks even worse. And its not a "git gud" post by any means, the only trouble you have during the hardest difficulty is the tutorial fight with the ghouls, after that it feels like a regular game again.

I made the mistake of playing on normal first and almost dropped the game because it was too dull

It wasn't too hard or anything..Just tedious because the combat itself felt stiff and unintuitive to me. I'd rather rush through all the necessary fight missions and go on with the story. The funny thing is, I sometimes enjoyed fighting against humans. Monsters are no fun, though! ;(

Marvel Ultimate Alliance

Pretty much any game where you rely on the AI for solo play. Geeze this one is frustrating on normal since your AI has scaled back damage and moves not to mention they never focus targets. Enemies attack the player exclusively as well. It's just annoying on normal and higher without another human playing.

FaintDeftone

I actually agree with Uncharted. Mainly because I'm not the biggest fan of the combat and Naughty Dog likes to throw you in situations where they throw a gazillion of the hardest dudes at you with a small window of survival. It gets frustrating at times. Put it on easy mode and just enjoy the story and set pieces.

zeemumu

Speaking of which, this worked in Uncharted as well. I think the AI behaves differently when you're in cover too, they take cover more as well, unless I imagined it. If you just find a handy pillar somewhere and stand behind it rather than taking cover properly you can just blow them away without exposing yourself at all.

Yeah but then you get to that jetski level where there is no cover and all hell breaks loose

Viewtiful Joe. Still provides a challenge as you can't mash your way through, but let's you learn boss patterns without feeling completely defeated and destroyed. Then if you dig the game enough, you can challenge yourself with harder difficulties and put your knowledge of the moveset to the test.

Jacqli

In my case: Baldur's Gate.

For a weird reason, I do not get the combat system at all. I read once a guide but when I play the game, I just find it boring and convoluted. It is not the first time that I play an RPG game, I am also playing Pillars of Eternity for example, and I have not got any of these problems (although I always prefer the story/conversations).

I do want to enjoy these games (I have the whole enhanced collection in my Steam library) because I was a console player before and did not have the opportunity to play them. In my latest attempt I tried to play the first one in normal but I ended up switching to easy. Every time there is a combat, I just know I am not going to enjoy it.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Any game where you want the story but don't like the gameplay. I always tried getting through them on higher difficulties but the gameplay isn't my thing so I turned it down for Mass Effect and Dragon Age.

If you don't actually want to play the game, why not just watch a video that summarizes the story?

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Completely disagree with for people saying Catherine. getting gold in hard difficulty is most satisfying thing i ever experienced.

Also are kidding me for playing Nier Automata on Easy!!? the game on normal is already cake walk, if some of u can't even bother finishing this on normal then why even bother playing the game, just watch it on youtube.

Seriously it feels like some of u just can't be bother act of playing a game so turn in easy so u guys don't have to to do anything.

To me losing is part of playing games, yes sometimes it can be frustrating but there no better satisfaction one u beat that hard level or stage.

Games with a lot of monster closets can get irritating easily on higher difficulties. I finished my 360 backlog a few days ago that included Army of Two: Devil's Cartel and Kayne & Lynch 2, and those games just throw dudes at you all day. Army of Two was surprisingly easy on the hardest difficulty but Kayne and Lynch just looked like way too much of a chore to do on anything other than Easy.

It's always hard to tell at first (for me, anyway) what difficulty I should start a game on, but as a rule of thumb - if upping the difficulty modifies AI behavior, then its probably worth experiencing. If it just ups enemy health and damage, then you aren't missing a lot and should play on Easy/Normal.

I finished the game on normal mode, which I found doable enough (not very easy but completely doable). Am I the only one who thinks it's not hard?

It's not hard, I beat it on normal and never had any problem with it.

It's just not very fun and I never want to do it again.

Top Bottom