• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon 2 doesn't ask me for more money.

Gestault

I don't recall being forced to pay for that. Or even have it advertised in the game beside the section of the hub made specifically for it.

Plus I get a nice cool figure that stores my data.

There's an enormous literal Amiibo retail box in the central hub of the game, and no other way to save/move player loadouts without buying Amiibo. Let's not give more credit than is due.

flkraven

You know your dlc model is good when customers are spending $50+ on plastic figures and singing your praises on forums because you aren't charging a few dollars for micro transactions or dlc.

There's an enormous literal Amiibo retail box in the central hub of the game, and no other way to save/move player loadouts without buying Amiibo. Let's not give more credit than is due.

I mean, it's not like you ever really spend that much time in the hub though

DjRalford

What are you referencing here? Nintendo announced free dlc for 1 year and Splatfests for 2 years. But even after the Splatfests end, you will still be able to play online any time. They aren't shutting down the servers.

They're on about having to pay a subscription to Nintendo to be able to continue playing online.

Ashtar

I don't recall being forced to pay for that. Or even have it advertised in the game beside the section of the hub made specifically for it.
Lol what games have forced you to buy dlc? Seriously? Most time games themselves have too much content if anything

And there is a hub in the pause menu for amiibo and an amiibo case in the back of the plaza

I'm loving splatoon 2 but it's funny that Nintendo is held up as this bastion when it too gives in to modern conventions such as paid dlc (amiibo and now season passes) and if you wanted to you could say they're holding back content to artificially increase the games life span (yeah it's a reach ) but people claim that nr held back characters for injustice 2 so only fair to level the same complaint against arms

This didn't work as well as you were hoping ��
ok_hand.png

havent gotten a single connection error at all and i have been playing non stop also never had issues during any of the testfires people really need to switch to wired play for online games.
Also including the party system, being locked into the search, etc.

I was hoping for vast improvements over Splatoon 1, but I digress since that's veering away from the OP.

I've never played a game where I felt like I needed to spend money. And I LOVE mp games. Maybe it's because I don't play mobile games?

Like right now I'm playing Gigantic, and even though I got the free version where you can play a limited number of heroes for time limit, I still don't feel compelled to spend money. Having a ton of fun

Maybe it should be rephrased as there is literally no way in game to even accidentally give Nintendo more money for things already on the disc? There's an Amiibo menu but even that doesn't link to a website for you to buy them.

Camjo-Z

I don't know why people keep trying to act like amiibo are equivalent to DLC. amiibo I bought in 2014 are still unlocking stuff in 2017 games along with the bonus of being a tangible physical figurine. Let me know when that map pack you bought for COD: Advanced Warfare gets you something in COD: WWII.

I don't know why people keep trying to act like amiibo are equivalent to DLC. amiibo I bought in 2014 are still unlocking stuff in 2017 games along with the bonus of being a tangible physical figurine.

At the end of the day it's paying extra to unlock content in a game. It's the same principle. One might work for you because you like to collect amiibos and like having plastic figures, but other people might not, and the standard downloadable DLC format works for them.

jrDev

At the end of the day it's paying extra to unlock content in a game. It's the same principle. One might work for you because you like to collect amiibos and like having plastic figures, but other people might not, and the standard downloadable DLC format works for them.
Still not comparable as the above poster you quoted, but ok...

kunonabi

I don't know why people keep trying to act like amiibo are equivalent to DLC. amiibo I bought in 2014 are still unlocking stuff in 2017 games along with the bonus of being a tangible physical figurine. Let me know when that map pack you bought for COD: Advanced Warfare gets you something in COD: WWII.

Exactly. TP/Smash Link in particular is a lot of bang for your buck.

It's still DLC.

That being said, the OP was clearly talking about in-game microtransactions.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

I mean the thread premise is that Nintendo doesn't ask you money for unlocks isn't it?

No need to be so defensive

I don't even know what the Amiibo gear is. I've been able to buy stuff for all my slots with 4 bonuses off the item shop on the smartphone app.

And then I'll need 7 friends with $800 smart phones (and Switches and games)
And a house to put it all in

*insert PA FFCC comic*
Add in the money your parents spent raising you, and the money your grandparents spent raising your parents, etc...

Sacul64GC

Banned

Then if you dont care about the figure then 30$ is all you will ever need to spend to unlock all amiibo content in any nintendo game ever.

http://www.gamestop.com/wii-u/accessories/amiibo-action-replay-powersaves/127307

People complaining about not being able to get skins for Breath of the Wild and trying their hardest to get certain figures.

Yeah you are right it's worse. The point of the thread is that OP is wrong. No game forces to you pay for DLC but most of them do encourage buying it, just like this game.

The first Splatoon had entire mini-games locked away behind the amiibo which was complete horse shit. I'm glad the sequel tones it down a bit.

(I have all the Splatoon amiibo please send help).

Then if you dont care about the figure then 30$ is all you will ever need to spend to unlock all amiibo content in any nintendo game ever.

http://www.gamestop.com/wii-u/accessories/amiibo-action-replay-powersaves/127307
lol, how is that available on Gamestop?

Yeah this thread is a lie
Err... The only reason I know about the Splatoon 2 Amiibo stuff is because of GAF. If not for GAF, based solely on what I've seen in-game, I would have no idea there was Amiibo gear.

Ridley327

The first Splatoon had entire mini-games locked away behind the amiibo which was complete horse shit. I'm glad the sequel tones it down a bit.

(I have all the Splatoon amiibo please send help).

Most of them were complete throwaways, but locking the sound test in the game behind the one Amiibo that was only available in the three-pack was a damn shame. I'm glad they came to their senses with this game and have it available right from the get-go for everyone.

lol, how is that available on Gamestop?

Err... The only reason I know about the Splatoon 2 Amiibo stuff is because of GAF. If not for GAF, based solely on what I've seen in-game, I would have no idea there was Amiibo gear.
There is literally a giant amiibo box in the main hub area

SirShandy

If the first Splatoon is anything to go by, it's definitely a better example of Nintendo doing DLC right. They added a pretty great amount of content, more than tripling the map count and adding tons of weapons at no extra cost.

The main flaw with the first game was hiding single player replayability behind the amiibo to unlock weapons, but they fixed that with this game by building single player around using multiple weapon types.

I hope they also add new competitive modes and new salmon run maps as well.

CookTrain

Thread backfires seem like the done thing these days.

I don't mind giving more money != Not being asked to give more money.

Is there content in Splatoon you can't get without Amiibos? If so, that's that.

Camjo-Z

People complaining about not being able to get skins for Breath of the Wild and trying their hardest to get certain figures.

Yeah you are right it's worse. The point of the thread is that OP is wrong. No game forces to you pay for DLC but most of them do encourage buying it, just like this game.

My understanding of the OP was that they were thinking of games like Street Fighter V or Overwatch where you start up your $60 game and discover that they want you to pay even more money to access the various skins/stages/icons/etc (or spend ages grinding in-game currency for them). Meanwhile Splatoon 2 has no microtransactions and the only vaguely comparable thing (amiibo-exclusive costumes) is only advertised to the player on the back of the box, in-game they're never mentioned unless you scan an amiibo. It's not the same.

watershed

Banned
They're on about having to pay a subscription to Nintendo to be able to continue playing online.

This is a potential issue but I don't think Nintendo has confirmed that all online multiplayer will be locked to the paid service. Right now with the app/service in a kind of free beta-testing phase, it seems like stuff like the online lounge and Splatnet 2 will be locked behind the paid service but not multiplayer in general. I would be surprised if Nintendo locked all online multiplayer behind the paid app/service. Right now ARMS and MK8D aren't even supported by the app.

Ridley327

I think the Amiibo stuff is far less interesting this time around with the rather steep limitation they put in place for obtaining the pieces associated with that Amiibo, and as nice as it might seem at the time to have access to gear with two slots, the SplatNet exclusive equipment pieces have them beat rather handily and are available to anyone with the app without having to pay a single cent of real money. Ironically, tying less things to the figures in this game wound up making them a lot less vital in the long run.

Chessr

Well, with only 6 new maps, the return of timed playlists/map rotations and poor online connectivity, I'd hope they wouldn't throw in microtransactions.

I have no problem Play online. Not have a single lag at all. Runs silksmooth.
Dont mind About the Maps nr. Then u can get familiar with them Before New comes

Splatoon 2 is asking me to buy a whole new console to play it. No reason this game couldn't have also had a Wii U port, if BOTW can run fine on a Wii U. Also the online is only "free" for the next few months.

My understanding of the OP was that they were thinking of games like Street Fighter V or Overwatch where you start up your $60 game and discover that they want you to pay even more money to access the various skins/stages/icons/etc (or spend ages grinding in-game currency for them). Meanwhile Splatoon 2 has no microtransactions and the only vaguely comparable thing (amiibo-exclusive costumes) is only advertised to the player on the back of the box, in-game they're never mentioned unless you scan an amiibo. It's not the same.

I'd argue Splatoon 2 has a hefty grind even without the microtransactions. Your starter clothes and weapons are nothing compared to the high level stuff.

Geg

Tbh if the game asked for real money in exchange for putting exactly what abilities I wanted on my gear I would probably seriously consider it

I'd argue Splatoon 2 has a hefty grind even without the microtransactions. Your starter clothes and weapons are nothing compared to the high level stuff.

Starting gear, sure. Weapons? I disagree. I still enjoyed using the Splattershot Jr. 150 hours into the first Splatoon. Weapons you earn at higher levels aren't better, just different.

Top Bottom