• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Licensed games better than their source material

Golden Eye is considered the greatest shooter of all time? It wasn't even the best FPS on the N64.

You'll probably find that critically and anecdotally from most players at the time, it was. To argue otherwise is a bit silly unless you want to revise history or state your opinion as fact.

Breakaway

Star Wars: Bounty Hunter and The Clone Wars. Episode II might've been a terrible film, but at least it spawned two solid Star Wars games.

a.wd

Goldeneye

A mediocre film (at best) that spawned the greatest shooter of all time

That Wolverine game

Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay is way better than any of the Riddick movies.

Star Wars Episode I Racer

Buffy the Vampire Slayer

I don't as 99% of them were shit. When they got it right though.........

The Lion King
Aladdin (Mega Drive version)
GoldenEye
The Two Towers
The Return of the King.

All classics, I also quite liked the Episode 1 and 3 games.

I agree to an extent with all of these, though I think, for me, with these the OP should be "Licensed games that spawned awesome gaming content" as I actually like most of these films (apart from that Wolverine one, that was garbage).

killatopak

Witcher Novel (The Last Wish - The Tower of Swallows) > Witcher 3 > Witcher Novel ( Lady of the Lake).

The last novel was fucking bloated. I was bored through half of the novel.

People saying Goldeneye is the greatest FPS of all time probably never played another FPS in their life.

Opinions, man.
For me personally, Timesplitters 2 is the greatest shooter of all time.
For some it's Half Life 2.
For some it's Goldeneye.

These are all great games but in the end it comes down to personal taste.

The Darkness: Starbreeze turned an embarrassing relic of the Dark Age of Comics into a genuinely good story mixing a mafia revenge tale with Lovecraftian horror.

CTRL+F: darkness

Thread didn't disappoint!

This game might look dated these days, but damn is it good! The emotional impact of the story is also way bigger than in the comics which aged terrible, at least in my opinion.

Jenny, oh Jenny...

eso76

? Metro was only a fan translation for years. I wish I understood Russian so I could get the full effect though. Having a website with music your supposed to play for each chapter is fucking amazing.

that might explain it, then. I think what i got was a fan translation.

TheKeyPit

Banned
Scott Pilgrim game by Ubisoft. Movie was good, the game was even better.

Edit: It's based on the comic, but whatever 😃

Exodust

Banned
Goldeneye

A mediocre film (at best) that spawned the greatest shooter of all time

Goldeneye aged poorly, by that I mean the game. The movie is great and one of the best Bond movies. Pretty bad choice.

My contribution to this thread is Parasite Eve.

tkscz

Goldeneye aged poorly, by that I mean the game. The movie is great and one of the best Bond movies. Pretty bad choice.

My contribution to this thread is Parasite Eve.

Never understood this. Aged poorly how? The controls? They were meant for the N64 controller, plus controls never "age badly", they are either always bad or you're use to a different control scheme. The graphics? No shit, it's the N64, muddy textures and low frames were the norm, can't really do much with 2 MBs of RAM (4 with the expansion pack). Gameplay? Not really. It's mission structure is still better (IMO) than current mission structures. The AI isn't anything to write home about but it's better AI than some games I've played from this gen and the level design is still pretty good. What specifically about this game hasn't "aged well" that people keep pointing out?

On Topic: Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2. Based mostly on Civil War, it was a much better handled story than the book it was based on.

gfxtwin

Aside from TDK, and maybe TAS, i feel like the Arkham games are most enjoyable cinematic Batman entertainment out there.

Alien Isolation is better than any post-Aliens Alien movie

Does Ratchet and Clank (PS4) count? I think it's based on the movie. Better than the movie in every way.

Isotropy

Ratchet and Clank: The Game base on the Movie based on the Game is better than Ratchet and Clank: The Movie based on the Game.

GoldenEye will always be a hot potato because at the end of the day, some people prefer GoldenEye to Perfect Dark. No matter how much some people, including me, think Perfect Dark is a million times better than GE to the point it eclipses the entire FPS genre, there is something about GE that is extremely appealing to some people.

When you start talking about games being "better", there's a tendency to forget personal taste. I'm sure some people think Quantum of Solace was a better film than Eurocom's game or Treyarch's game. Some people love that film.

The Hulk videogame based off the Ang Lee The Hulk film was pretty fun.

I remember I found the film a little weird and disorienting at the time... Should get around to watching it again to see how it goes (love me some Eric Bana too). But yeah, defs had fun with the game when I was younger.

petran79

Banned
WWF Wrestlefest makes early 90s TV WWF wrestling obsolete. Much funnier too.

Elvira Horror RPG games are more interesting than the live action show and movie.

CPS3 Capcom Jojo is better and has better animation than recent TV Stardust Crusaders.

Moo Mesa, Bucky o Hare and Asterix by Konami are better than their cartoon versions.

Tiny Toons and Animaniacs on SNES are better than a lot of their TV cartoon episodes

xrnzaaas

Riddick game is better than the movies imo.

People saying Goldeneye is the greatest FPS of all time probably never played another FPS in their life.

More likely they were raised playing Nintendo games and avoided PC titles such as Doom, Quake or Half-Life. ;)

Exodust

Banned
Never understood this. Aged poorly how? The controls? They were meant for the N64 controller, plus controls never "age badly", they are either always bad or you're use to a different control scheme. The graphics? No shit, it's the N64, muddy textures and low frames were the norm, can't really do much with 2 MBs of RAM (4 with the expansion pack). Gameplay? Not really. It's mission structure is still better (IMO) than current mission structures. The AI isn't anything to write home about but it's better AI than some games I've played from this gen and the level design is still pretty good. What specifically about this game hasn't "aged well" that people keep pointing out?

I can still play and love Wolfenstein 3D, Doom and Duke Nukem 3D. Goldeneye was enjoyable to me at the time but it doesn't hold up well compared to games older than it, let alone games that came out a little bit later(Half-Life, Halo).

It's really only the greatest shooter of all time to people who only had a Nintendo 64.

I don't think this is accurate at all.
It's true, though. Particularly gunplay and NPC hit reactions. HL1 was a generation behind. HL2 was even worse in this regard.

Also, HL1 was a very... simple approach to FPS design that eschewed GoldenEye's realistic architecture and sandbox approach to level design, reverting back to Quake-style painted corridors and what amounted to a glorified "find the level exit".

Raptomex

It's true, though. Particularly gunplay and NPC hit reactions. HL1 was a generation behind. HL2 was even worse in this regard.

Also, HL1 was a very... simple approach to FPS design that eschewed GoldenEye's realistic architecture and sandbox approach to level design, reverting back to Quake-style painted corridors and what amounted to a glorified "find the level exit".
It just sounds like you prefer GoldenEye because that comparison doesn't make one or the other "better". GoldenEye takes a sandbox approach, HL1 is a bit more linear and integrates environmental puzzles with almost seamless transitions between chapters. It's like comparing Doom to Metroid Prime. Two entirely different approaches to FPS design. As for the gunplay and NPC hit reactions. I can agree somewhat. GoldenEye was pretty impressive.

To paraphrase the great Tuco Ramírez, Grand Theft Auto V is the "son of a thousand fathers." It does things better than the dozen or so movies it apes.

HL1 is a bit more linear and integrates environmental puzzles with almost seamless transitions between chapters.
I always found it odd that Half-Life got praise for seamless level transitions when this came directly from Quake II. I mean, it's kinda like praising Fallout: New Vegas for inventing VATS.

danmaku

Er... no. Doom and Quake had big maze-like levels with tons of secrets to find, miles away from being "corridors". And HL was praised because it changed the formula and went for a linear level design that actually looked like real life buildings instead of labyrinths that only made sense as videogame levels (also, big focus on storytelling while most FPS were like "kill bad guys, save world").

Phediuk

I always found it odd that Half-Life got praise for seamless level transitions when this came directly from Quake II. I mean, it's kinda like praising Fallout: New Vegas for inventing VATS.

It's the combination of seamless levels and scripted events that made HL so cool though. Felt like a cohesive world in a way that no other FPS did at the time. The realistic level design (i.e., it isn't blatantly "gamey" like Doom or Duke) and unbroken first-person perspective added to that.

Greddleok

You'll probably find that critically and anecdotally from most players at the time, it was. To argue otherwise is a bit silly unless you want to revise history or state your opinion as fact.

Whether people like it the most on N64 isn't even my point, I don't think it's possible for it to claim the title of "best shooter of all time" when things like Quake and DOOM exist.

And HL was praised because it changed the formula and went for a linear level design that actually looked like real life buildings instead of labyrinths that only made sense as videogame levels
The issue is that HL1's design approach is a narrow corridor where all the doors are fake. It looks like a real building, sure. GoldenEye's approach was to create an actual building where the doors worked. Which one is better is a deep design schism, sure, but HL1 was pretending to be something GoldenEye actually was. HL1, and HL2 alike, were throwbacks to "painted corridor" level design that the architecturally conscious GoldenEye had already blown away. In terms of actual level design, Half-Life plays like a game made by someone who was a fan of Quake II, but wanted it to look more realistic.

(also, big focus on storytelling while most FPS were like "kill bad guys, save world").
Which, again, GoldenEye had already done. The only real difference was that HL1 was seamless. A significant difference, sure, but one straight from Quake II.

For some reason, Half-Life 1 gets a lot of praise for scripted events occuring around the player, but GoldenEye did this a year earlier. Scenes from the film were recreated as NPCs engaging with the player. NPCs talked to Bond, Bond talked back to them. The designers even took pains to recreate iconic scenes from the film such as the train escape set piece without resorting to cutscenes. Every important story moment occurred through Bond's eyes.

Whether people like it the most on N64 isn't even my point, I don't think it's possible for it to claim the title of "best shooter of all time" when things like Quake and DOOM exist.
The problem is that people who are fans of GoldenEye (I'm a fan of PD, not so much GE) see games like Doom and Quake as extremely primitive and crude and fundamentally less worthwhile gaming experiences. The problem is that this is ALL opinion. "Good" game design is pure opinion. You may as well argue whether Call of Duty: Ghosts or Soldier of Fortune II are better games.

fireflame

Kotor games. They are the games that made me be more interested in Star Wars Universe. The Jedi Knight games to a lesser extent. I mean for some reason the writing in Star Wars movie looks weak compared to what we get in Kotor.

Raptomex

The issue is that HL1's design approach is a narrow corridor where all the doors are fake. It looks like a real building, sure. GoldenEye's approach was to create an actual building where the doors worked. Which one is better is a deep design schism, sure, but HL1 was pretending to be something GoldenEye actually was. HL1, and HL2 alike, were throwbacks to "painted corridor" level design that the architecturally conscious GoldenEye had already blown away. In terms of actual level design, Half-Life plays like a game made by someone who was a fan of Quake II, but wanted it to look more realistic.
I know there are corridors in GoldenEye that lead to bigger open areas. Same with Half-Life. Half-Life nailed immersion and level design in a sense that everything feels connected, like real locations.
Which, again, GoldenEye had already done. The only real difference was that HL1 was seamless. A significant difference, sure, but one straight from Quake II.

For some reason, Half-Life 1 gets a lot of praise for scripted events occuring around the player, but GoldenEye did this a year earlier. Scenes from the film were recreated as NPCs engaging with the player. NPCs talked to Bond, Bond talked back to them. The designers even took pains to recreate iconic scenes from the film such as the train escape set piece without resorting to cutscenes. Every important story moment occurred through Bond's eyes.
I don't think GoldenEye really counts in this regard. It's based on a movie. The developers didn't have to create an original story.

Top Bottom