• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Eurogamer\DF] Orbis Unmasked: what to expect from the next-gen PlayStation.

Spongebob

Banned
Where is all this talk of a monster coming from? The PS4's GPU sounds quite akin to the desktop 7850 which I would hardly call a monster.

An we still don't know what the two assistive graphical blocks that Durango has are capable of. Many people here are simply jumping to conclusions far too quickly.

Cross game chat. The person he quoted was complaining that they'd run into the issue they ran into this gen with not being able to have cross game chat, but 360 can support 8 person chat just fine with 512mb of total RAM.
Considering that OS of PS3 has memory footprint of 50mb yes 512mb is easily enough for cross game chat.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
So basically as expected - both systems will be a lot more modest at launch compared to their predecessors. Smaller silicon, lower power consumption.

I'm glad. I don't want another console that dies after a year (60GB Ps3... :/).

see5harp

Isn´t this bad? I mean it´s too little and might bottle neck the OS in the future. They had a huge problem updating the PS3 because of no more memory.

I don't think it was availible memory as much as it was just a very poor implementation of the featureset. The 360 did a lot more with a smaller footprint. I don't see why either system would need more than 512 megs of RAM for the OS.

HardRojo

I can't wait for all the announcements this year, I'm gonna be purchasing a launch console provided the features are great.

It's good for games.

I guess it depends what their OS plans are, right?

I think they did a good job with 256MB on Vita, and that presumably has headroom too still. I think they'd be able to do good things with 512.

Well the Orbis will be much bigger media machine than the Vita. That requires much more memory. Can Sony move some memory for the Orbis from games to OS after shipping? I really think that´s very short sighted.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Hmm if this pans out then I have a pretty good (bad?) feeling we are going to see an interesting price tag with the PS4.

Remember Kaz's quote from yesterday (about their target market being willing to overpay), too.

That said, the AMD connection that defines both Durango and Orbis confirms that both consoles are much closer in design to gaming PCs than their predecessors, which may result in stronger ports to the computer format, not to mention the upcoming Steam Box - a piece of hardware free to evolve and grow more powerful year upon year in a way that Sony and Microsoft's boxes can't. And surely Valve must be looking at these specs with perhaps a little relief - AMD's CPU architecture is designed with power efficiency in mind, and in pure performance terms, even an eight-core set-up should be comfortably out-performed by a fast, modern desktop Intel quad-core processor. In developing and optimising next-gen titles for the lower power console CPUs, it would be richly ironic if PC owners reaped the benefits...

I pray to God this will be true for next gen, I got sick of poor console ports.

For those disappointed, you guys know you can't directly compare the GPU inside the Orbis to a 7970m in PC space. There are a lot of other caveats inside the machine that offset loads, and it's a closed box platform.

It's hard to make comparisons really.

So whats the odds of a fully software emulated PS2 shipping within the PS4? Or is Sony going to screw everyone and put PS2 games on the store only.

Fairly good I'd say. There's nothing hardware limiting it. A PC with the same specs can run most PS2 games. Given closed hardware + sony having a greater knowledge of how the PS2 worked. Developing a good PS2 emulator should be easy.

3GB OS clearly indicates a Kinect penalty to me. It's probably lower for non-Kinect games, unless MS goes: KINECT IN EVERYTHING AT ALL TIMES!

apana

Didn't AMD include some kind of tech demo for the HD 7900 series? Maybe that should give us a good idea of what to expect?

Spongebob

Banned
Hopefully now people will stop going on about Orbis using steamroller cores, Sweetvar had specifically said that Sony changed to jaguar.

And with the release of this article, we officially have more information on Orbis than Durango.

I agree.

Until we know what assistive graphical blocks are in Durango we can't really make a call on which system is more capable. On top of that we still don't know the bandwith of Durango's ESRAM.

WalkMan

Banned
Fairly good I'd say. There's nothing hardware limiting it. A PC with the same specs can run most PS2 games. Given closed hardware + sony having a greater knowledge of how the PS2 worked. Developing a good PS2 emulator should be easy.

They already have the software built, just needs a stronger hardware backend.

That 3GB reservation on the Durango makes me more certain than ever that it is going to be moving to be far more PC like...

A ₤350 console that doesn't just replace your old 360... it replaces your PC.

Windows 8... Xbox 8.

AOC83

Banned
For those disappointed, you guys know you can't directly compare the GPU inside the Orbis to a 7970m in PC space. There are a lot of other caveats inside the machine that offset loads, and it's a closed box platform.

It's hard to make comparisons really.

The question is, will this hardware be able to produce graphics that blow me away?

sajj316

Which will be severely bottlenecked if it needs to constantly call the HDD for multitasking ops.

So don't call the HDD for multitasking ops constantly .. seems like the approach Sony is taking with their OS footprint.

There's only so many multitasking ops I would need when playing a game ..

anddo0

So who else doesn't care about these leaked next gen consoles.
I'm more interested when we see what it looks like than what's under the hood. Ill let the games they showcase speak for themselves.

It gives us a starting point. Something to be excited about until the games for the consoles materialize.. You're right though, under the hood performance is what counts.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
AMD jaguar?

These specs don't excite me.

Then you have no idea how HW works. These are specialized pieces of HW that run far more discreetly for the purpose of gaming. Even if this is lower spec or around mid range modern PC HW, they should be able to run some high end games for years to come.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
3GB OS clearly indicates a Kinect penalty to me. It's probably lower for non-Kinect games, unless MS goes: KINECT IN EVERYTHING AT ALL TIMES!

I read it this way as well, along with a Win 8-esque OS. We've had several rumors about Kinect playing a major role with this system.

Proelite

Until we know what assistive graphical blocks are in Durango we can't really make a call on which system is more capable. On top of that we still don't know the bandwith of Durango's ESRAM.

Esram I believe is rumoured to be 32mb at 102 GB/s.

KKRT00

Very good and reasonable specs, but lol at Durango nerf because of Kinect 2 crap, this wont end up well in multiplatform titles.

Top Bottom