• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro-GAF unite!

meppi

Well, I said I was in for a challenge when I stated my intent to try and resurrect issue 2 of Club Nintendo which is in rather terrible shape.

Over 6 hours later we seem to have our first page finished up. :)

LzGQDyI.jpg
kbmJQMr.jpg

Started off with the worst page of the bunch as I would have kicked myself if I ended up doing all other pages and this one was impossible to restore.
So I'll have it at least a bit easier with the rest. Well besides the cover page, which I'm sure will give me quite a few headaches just looking at it.

Then again, the end result will be worth it. ;)

This weekend just playing some new releases. Grabbed Rayman for Switch (kinda sluggish to be honest), having a ton of fun with Super Hydorah which had an amazing CRT filter, and starting a new replay of Loco after so many years ago on the PSP. Fun little stuff until Mario releases in a month.

UMzmm54.jpg

eCnIIz3.jpg

Awesome. That's a cool arcade stick too.

Khaz

Well, I said I was in for a challenge when I stated my intent to try and resurrect issue 2 of Club Nintendo which is in rather terrible shape.

Started off with the worst page of the bunch as I would have kicked myself if I ended up doing all other pages and this one was impossible to restore.
So I'll have it at least a bit easier with the rest. Well besides the cover page, which I'm sure will give me quite a few headaches just looking at it.

I wish I could do that. There are a bunch of old box art I wish I could restore / remove parts of the artwork to use on my own project but I'm hopeless in photoshop.

meppi

I wish I could do that. There are a bunch of old box art I wish I could restore / remove parts of the artwork to use on my own project but I'm hopeless in photoshop.

It took me many years before I was able to do this kinda stuff and even then, it still feels like I'm hammering a round peg into a square box, especially with these kinds of pages.
I'm sure if I had an actual education for using Photoshop instead of muddling through it myself things would be quite a bit more easy, not to mention faster.
I don't even know what half the tools can be used for in Photoshop. lol
Tried looking up certain techniques on Youtube and it still baffles me.

But I guess at the end of the day you have to work with the tools you've been given. ;)
And I'm at a point where I'm happy with what I'm able to accomplish, even if that means being good at something that basically next to no one cares about.

Laws00

I got the 2 beatmania games yesterday. 7 bucks each lol.

Had the DJ controller because of the ps2 game

Got the Tekken 5 Stick last week for cheap. Damn I love Hori. Don't mind the Neo Geo thing in the background.....

I appreciate the effort! Keep up the good work!

As for metroid, Im enjoying the game overall but I really, really hope they take a page out of Sonics book and go back to sprites. Let prime be the polygon powerhouse and keep 2d metroid old school.

I remember getting that T5 stick when gamestop dropped the tekken 5 box set to $30. Yeah it uses Hori clone parts instead of arcade spec, but it was a great deal and got me into arcade sticks.

Tain

I remember getting that T5 stick when gamestop dropped the tekken 5 box set to $30. Yeah it uses Hori clone parts instead of arcade spec, but it was a great deal and got me into arcade sticks.

Same deal for me. Was basically a perfect starter stick at the time.

Hey, me too! It really, really was. I got it just as I was getting really into Espgaluda and wound up picking up a second one for fighting games. I distinctly remember playing a lot of Arcana Heart around that time, which, come on, was a great game.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Hey, me too! It really, really was. I got it just as I was getting really into Espgaluda and wound up picking up a second one for fighting games. I distinctly remember playing a lot of Arcana Heart around that time, which, come on, was a great game.

My games of choice were King of Fighters XI and Melty Blood: AC, both of which just had just come out on the PS2. Good times, man.

When you're at the point where you want to spend $130 on a teacup...

Gaming drinkware is tha coolest. Got this mug from Arkane last week:

op295Ja.jpg

Not really the same thing, I guess :(

Timu

It's 30fps... Not the biggest deal... but you'd expect them to target 60 for this release given the graphics and everything.
That is indeed strange, I thought it was 60fps. As long as it's a stable 30fps it's ok, better that than a framerate that fluctuates all over the place.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Oh, man. That Secret of Mana video was bad. I'm honestly almost impressed by how Square seems to fuck these remakes up so thoroughly -- this is on the level of that godawful FFVI mobile port.

Laws00

Sailor Moon bought for 10 bucks back in the day from Buy Rite games online.

This particular Shining force 2 is the same shining force 2 game that i've rented when i was a kid back in 1994 throughout the 90s and bought in 2004 from the same mom and pop store that went out of business. They had 4 copies of the game for sale and I got the luck of the draw and got the same game I rented all these years with my save file intact still.

Laws00

I was bummed the Sailor Moon beat-em-up is 1 player on Mega Drive considering the SNES ones are 2P co-op.

I KNOW!!??

I love the Mega drive version but it sucks that it's only 1 player

The Super Famicom when I eventually got the play it, is still good but not as great as the Mega Drive one

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
To anyone in Ontario (this is not my event) but there is a Game Swap being hosted in Guelph, ON on Sunday. I'm looking pair down my collection to just essentials I still play, so that means my boxed JP Mega Drive console and collection gotta go.

I was kinda thinking of going but I've got a lot on this weekend!

My girlfriend gets back from a business trip and we have a home inspection for getting a doggo. Not sure if I can squeeze "another game fair" into those commitments, much as I'd like to.

I also missed the Waterloo one on the 10th as we were getting back from vacation, but I already did Barrie Game Exchange a few weeks back so I think I'm good for now. Spent way too much on retro this year, haha

Do you have a rough list of what you're planning to sell and would you be interested in shipping any of it to Ottawa?

I definitely can't go down to Guelph but buying that stuff internationally is annoying and even finding MD stuff in person Japan can be hard.

Peltz

It's interesting how, graphically, project octopath can look so good but mana looks soooooòo bad

Octopath makes a strong and positive first impression, but the demo started to look hideous the more I played it.

Fantastic lighting though! The character designs and pixelated look of them, however, really doesn't make sense though. It doesn't add to the story or anything.

Like... in Paper Mario, the fact that he's a piece of paper is part of the game. The whole thing is stylized as a diorama. Octopath, in contrast, just looks like a weird blend of upscaled pixelated graphics and cool lighting. It's sloppy.

I thought it looked cool at first, but when I played it and heard the voice acting in particular, it felt like a C- effort.

Top Bottom