• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scribblenauts Preview/Impressions Thread - You will say "wow." (see post #217)

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Oh, yeah, my point was that if it reused the asset from rope, it'd be a flaw, as those are two distinct enough items that they should have their own art. It's not really a flaw if it, in fact, summons a real life, limp, beanstalk.

Listen Up highlights. They were insanely more positive than the ******* guys. Also, Jackson, I definitely found at least 3 boxquotes for you :D :D :D

*They were endlessly entertained
*There will be things you think of that just won't work
*In the "rescue the cat" level his first solution was to chase it off with a dog, but that pissed the cat off and thus he didn't solve it. His second solution, to burn the house down, worked
*It's incredible at how many things are in, didn't run into too many words that didn't work
*They had so many moments of just doing really cool things that impressed the hell out of him
*So many "Oh my god, they actually have this in the game?" moments
*Vampires beat zombies
*"It's fucking unreal!"
*"It sounds like something videogames have been waiting to be"
*"When this game comes out, I'm not going to play anything else ever"
*They want a PC version of this game for the online component
*Yet another Satan vs. God fight. Vampire killed God. Why do so many people go back to this?
*A monkey stole a helicopter. Holy shit.
*Overall they were absolutely gushing about it. They were so hyped and talking so quickly that they kept interrupting each other in their excitement.

SmellyWaffles

Neo Member
I listened to that too just now. The monkey stealing the helicopter sounded awesome :D They also mentioned that you can actually differentiate between a male and female criminal? Wow

Puffles

Banned
SirPenguin said:
*Yet another: Farmer freaked out and killed a rabbit, then killed a rat. I don't know why he thought that was weird...

I've lived in the city all my life, and I've never actually been to a farm, but I still have enough common sense to know that farmers will kill rabbits and rats because they'll eat the crops that are growing.

Puffles said:
I've lived in the city all my life, and I've never actually been to a farm, but I still have enough common sense to know that farmers will kill rabbits and rats because they'll eat the crops that are growing.

Yeah, exactly what I mean. Farmers hate rodents/things that eat their crops/etc. I'm not sure why he listed it as a negative. If anything it shows how deep the system is.

and who the hell has a farm full of rabbits or rats?

Also, someone over at Penny Arcade compiled all the words the Kotaku guy responded to. Big list follows.

Source: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showpost.php?p=11069701&postcount=877

I'll start: I typed "boy," and a boy appeared. I typed "blob" and a blob appeared and attacked the boy.

I typed "president" and got a white guy in a suit. I typed "Republican and got the same guy." I typed Democrat and again got that guy.

Suggestions?

Shrink ray. I'm curious as to what that would do if it's in the game.

Rendered a little zapper. I put it in the hero, Maxwell's hand. Got nothing to shoot it at since you were first.

Dentist

Not only did I get a dentist, but I shot him/her with the shrink ray. She shrank and ran away.

spork

Tested Spork. Maxwell now wields a spork.

cabbage

Green cabbage. Put it on the floor and the shrunken dentist ran up to it. I think she ate it.

Tortilla!

Dentist ate that too

I want to know what kind of melon comes up when you type "melon" or whether or not it changes based on the specific "watermelon".

yellow melon

saveloy

nope. you stumped it

Donkey Wheel

Got a wheel that would be on a wagon a donkey would pull

Michael Jackson

doesn't do proper nouns

Xbox 360

can't do numbers

sasquatch

A large sasquatch appeared. He's not bothering the dentist

dromedary

Not in there. Weird!

Cockatiel

It's flying near sasquatch

Zeus

nothing

Rock Band

Got a guy in a tux with a white bow tie.

Batman

No proper names. Recommended Barman, Best Man, Butaman (???)

bowl

Shockingly, a bowl appeared

Holy Hand Grenade.

Got a hand grenade

Influenza

Not in there

Durian

Made a Durian. Fed it to sasquatch

Cyborg!

The cyborg was attacking sasquatch, but sasquatch won

Red herring?

Got a herring. Looks kinds brown

Mexican Wrestler

Got a shirtless man

Scribblenauts

You get a little spaceman looking guy

PSP

Of course not. Recommended PSU, POP, PJS

Rubber chicken

Wants to know if I mean Chicken the animal or chicken the food

oh and Black Hole. I want to see the universe as we know it dissappear.

Made a vortex. then everyhing went black. Now I'm back with all my creations gone

Needs moar chimera.

Voila! Giant lion with wings and a snake tail

Gerbil

Made a gerbil. Chimera ate gerbil.

Mario

No Mario, of course. What kind of licensing did you think they would do?

resin

got a gray blob

giant skunk

Giant Skunk got me a regular sized skunk

Type Canada!

No proper nouns. Suggested Cicada

Beelzebub

Beelzebub not in there

Pandora's box

Basic wooden crate appeared

polymorph

No polymorph. Suggested polygraph

Noob.

??? Got a guy in a kilt. What's up with that?

Motorcycle

In there, of course. The noob is now riding it

werewolf

Werewolf with a very big wolf head

vulture + corpse

Corpse got me a dead blue guy. Vulture got me a vulture that pecked at dead blue guy and made him vanish in a puff of smoke.

priest

priest is in black vestments. running away from werewolf

Umbrella

IN there, of course. A blue one

Shoryuken

nope

teleporter

Whoa. I made one, stepped on it and warped into a level of the game called University

Bass im curious to see if it does the fish or the instrument

bass gave me a fish

Dragon?

Offered me a dragon animal or a dragon weapon. I went with weapon and it made a shotgun looking thing

Kite - one that you fly, not the shape ;)

little diamond-shaped kite

Hubris?

That's not a concrete noun, buddy

Earthquake

Earthquake isn't in there. Suggested Eagle, Earthenware, Earthnut Pea

DS

DS isn't in there. It suggests DPSS, which turns out to be a gun. ??

feminist

Nothing. recommended femtochemist

Big Daddy

nothing

rickroll

White guy in a white shirt and tie. Throws his hands in the air, Shakes his feet. Disappears.

DNA

DNA made one of those atomic-looking symbols with a nucleus or whatever and a few orbits for protons.

blood

Odd. "Blood" made a bat

game journalist

White guy in brown pants, white shirt, orange vest, brown hat.

Goth

Goth made a vampire. funny

Cowbell

More cowbell

Video Game

Video Game renders a Game Boy-looking handheld

octagon

Octagon not in there

shofar

Shofar appeared. It's a musical instrument, right? Like a bent horn?

I'd like to know what MacGuffin does

Nothing. Thinks I wanted Muffin, Macadamia,or Manga

Developer.

White guy in brown pants with a black shirt that has what looks like a game controller drawn on it

Spartan

Spartan got me a warrior guy with a spear and a red headband

Cthulhu

Cthulhu was a giant winged monster, huh? The spartan fought it and beat it.

laser shark

Got a big shark

Cyndar

Neo Member
SmellyWaffles said:
I guess they thought it was weird because... y'know... there really are such things as "rabbit farms"...
Rabbit breeders are different than farmers. At least, I'm pretty sure they are.

Cyndar

Neo Member
Well, considering that the game lops off adjectives, it could be possible that it can also do the opposite. Oh, wait, just checked Wikipedia. There's no blood bat. I'm stumped then...

On the topic of stereotypes, imagine if the stereotypes weren't concrete? For example, you could occasionally get a kleptomaniac that gives to children? The game would be that much more confusing, but it'd also be fun to watch someone steal diamonds and give them to little kids. (And then maybe watch the police catch the kid with the diamond.)

I imagine blood = bat because blood would be too risky in terms of the ESRB rating. Even if the blood isn't spurting out people it could still be potentially dangerous for kids or whatever.

So they decided to make it point to the most common bloodsucker

SmellyWaffles

Neo Member
I wasn't sure that the kleptomaniac would actually take the diamond, since in real life kleptomania usually implies the compulsive theft of small, worthless trinkets. But that's too realistic :p The average person thinks of a kleptomaniac as a thief, so that's what they got. That got me thinking, the idea of making everything in the game as cliched as possible is crucial. Because there are so many different possible interpretations of how things or people look or act in real life, with stereotypes you satisfy as many people's expectations as possible.

Edit: I find that explanation a bit silly. You can summon every other possible body part. You can even summon a brain and lure a zombie with it. But you can't summon blood, an equally vital part of the body, and lure a vampire with it? But on the other hand, that makes perfect sense. The ESRB probably prohibits the showing of blood or gore in an E10+ game, despite all the other implied violence possible in the game. So it's more of a technicality than a mistake or oversight.

Apoc29

Cyndar said:
Well, considering that the game lops off adjectives, it could be possible that it can also do the opposite. Oh, wait, just checked Wikipedia. There's no blood bat. I'm stumped then...

On the topic of stereotypes, imagine if the stereotypes weren't concrete? For example, you could occasionally get a kleptomaniac that gives to children? The game would be that much more confusing, but it'd also be fun to watch someone steal diamonds and give them to little kids. (And then maybe watch the police catch the kid with the diamond.)

You can do that (make a kleptomaniac that gives to children) with the in-game object creator! At least I think so...remember reading about how you could make a bear afraid of bees or something when you make your own levels. I don't know in-depth you can get with the system, but I can't wait to find out!

EzLink

Banned
Cyndar said:

:lol :lol :lol Now that is an unrealistic expectation

EDIT:^^^ The fuck? There is an in game object creator? Are you sure? I thought it was just a level creator

GDGF

Soothsayer
It's not an object creater, it's more of a behavior modifier. You can change the behavior of pre existing objects in the game.

Cyndar

Neo Member
Typing this on the Wii...

Yes, the level editor lets you edit objects, but I think it's only as in-depth as the emotes. There's an emote for fight, defend, eat, fear, investigate, guard, and a few more, maybe, but not one for generousity.

SmellyWaffles said:
I wasn't sure that the kleptomaniac would actually take the diamond, since in real life kleptomania usually implies the compulsive theft of small, worthless trinkets. But that's too realistic :p The average person thinks of a kleptomaniac as a thief, so that's what they got. That got me thinking, the idea of making everything in the game as cliched as possible is crucial. Because there are so many different possible interpretations of how things or people look or act in real life, with stereotypes you satisfy as many people's expectations as possible.

Edit: I find that explanation a bit silly. You can summon every other possible body part. You can even summon a brain and lure a zombie with it. But you can't summon blood, an equally vital part of the body, and lure a vampire with it? But on the other hand, that makes perfect sense. The ESRB probably prohibits the showing of blood or gore in an E10+ game, despite all the other implied violence possible in the game. So it's more of a technicality than a mistake or oversight.

The ESRB is a bit silly in general. Why do you think almost any game under "Teen" has generic green shit instead of actual blood? They don't mind the violence, but GOD FORBID the liquid shooting out of them is red.

ZZMitch

Loving this new "series" IGN is doing before the release

Props to ign, props.

Using a kangaroo and lettuce to knock over jars is BADASS

So I finally got around to listening to more of the Listen Up podcast while cleaning this morning. Around 1:24 they confirm fucking Manbearpig is in the game.

Jesus Christ that is amazing

KScorp

SirPenguin said:
The ESRB is a bit silly in general. Why do you think almost any game under "Teen" has generic green shit instead of actual blood? They don't mind the violence, but GOD FORBID the liquid shooting out of them is red.
I checked Wikipedia, and E10+ allows for animated blood. T allows minimal blood. Scribblenauts would obviously be animated, so I really don't know why "blood" would spawn a bat.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
SirPenguin said:
So I finally got around to listening to more of the Listen Up podcast while cleaning this morning. Around 1:24 they confirm fucking Manbearpig is in the game.

Jesus Christ that is amazing

15s7xox.jpg

SirPenguin said:
Listen Up highlights. They were insanely more positive than the ******* guys. Also, Jackson, I definitely found at least 3 boxquotes for you :D :D :D

*They were endlessly entertained
*There will be things you think of that just won't work
*In the "rescue the cat" level his first solution was to chase it off with a dog, but that pissed the cat off and thus he didn't solve it. His second solution, to burn the house down, worked
*It's incredible at how many things are in, didn't run into too many words that didn't work
*They had so many moments of just doing really cool things that impressed the hell out of him
*So many "Oh my god, they actually have this in the game?" moments
*Vampires beat zombies
*"It's fucking unreal!"
*"It sounds like something videogames have been waiting to be"
*"When this game comes out, I'm not going to play anything else ever"
*They want a PC version of this game for the online component
*Yet another Satan vs. God fight. Vampire killed God. Why do so many people go back to this?
*A monkey stole a helicopter. Holy shit.
*Overall they were absolutely gushing about it. They were so hyped and talking so quickly that they kept interrupting each other in their excitement.

link

KScorp said:
I checked Wikipedia, and E10+ allows for animated blood. T allows minimal blood. Scribblenauts would obviously be animated, so I really don't know why "blood" would spawn a bat.

I imagine 5TH Cell and the ESRB worked pretty closely in this title to make sure everything was kosher.

Also, the Listen Up guys said Manbearpig looked like a "minotaur-type creature", so I wonder if it really WAS a minotaur, or an actual Manbearpig.

For those of you Canadian fans wondering about this because the EBgames website stinks up here, allow me to confirm: pre-ordering here does indeed get you the hat in Canada. I did it today and sure enough I was asked if I would like the hat. (Naturally, I said I would. I know I said before that the hat isn't a selling point, but who am I to turn down a free hat?)

You no longer have an excuse, my bretheren in the true north strong and free.

Spwn

Oh my god, the game will include Finnish! There just isn't enough words in Finnish to let your imagination fly.

KScorp

SirPenguin said:
I imagine 5TH Cell and the ESRB worked pretty closely in this title to make sure everything was kosher.
Nope, ESRB ratings are done by random, confidential people. If Scribblenauts gets an undesirable rating, they can appeal, in which case more random people are selected and redo the rating. I don't know what the budget on Scribblenauts is, but if it's low budget it costs $800 to get a rating, and higher budget $4000 to get one. 5th Cell might not want to chance spending more money. (That is, if an appeal costs money as well.)

Either way, the confirmation of Manbearpig is a selling point to some of my friends, who bring him up all the time. I've got to tell them (or show them the game once I get it).

Scribblenauts - Attracting one person at a time, one ridiculous word at a time.

Cyndar

Neo Member
Just preordered three copies. Unfortunately, my mother is hanging this make-up history course over my head. If I don't complete it, no one gets a copy.

Neat video. I also love the island solution, and wow @ the puzzle level of World 10. Looks pretty involved. I'm guessing it'll involve stopping the prisoners, breaking down barricades, and rescuing civilians. Pretty effin' sweet.

New preview with the "near final" version.

http://www.vooks.net/story-18281-Pr...-the-near-final-version-of-Scribblenauts.html

Highlights

“PORTAL GUN”, unfortunately didn’t exist, but it produced a pistol instead. “LIGHTSABER” didn’t happen, as it would be a trademarked object. Its inferior version, the “BEAM SWORD”, didn’t fulfil our expectation, but created a sword instead. “RAINBOW” came to be but without a pot of gold at either end. It was also only a background prop, not an interactive object and the “POT OF GOLD” gave us a gold bar

We pitted the battle between a “PIRATE” and a “NINJA”, and it seems that the pirate won this round. “PLAGIARIST”, “DIACETATE” didn’t work, but “PUMA”, “LIGHTBULB”, “TURNPIKE” worked, along with “FIRE” which spewed fire from a pedestal. After testing all these words, we ran out of ideas, so in hoping for more words, we typed “DICTIONARY”, but to no avail on more words spewing out.

One interesting item we tried was the “NUKE”. This was the ONLY item (that we’ve tried so far) that kills ANYTHING, even Maxwell, and even in the Playground Mode. Once dropped, it causes a MASSIVE EXPLOSION and fades to white, instantly failing the level. Coincidentally, typing “EPIC FAIL” also spawns the nuke.

Another interesting word we thought would be fun to test was “PRESIDENT” and to see who would pop out of nothingness. It was a grey haired personnel with a medal on his suit. This can also triggered with the words “PRIME MINISTER” and “OFFICIAL”, so our hopes for Obama or Bush withered away. We have also tested “SCRIBBLENAUTS” which created another mascot much like Maxwell, but we figured we test “MAXWELL”, and it produced another Maxwell but with a palette swap.

But as good as the game could possibly get, there were some little iffy bits that we were unsure of, but were taken into little consideration since it wasn’t final. It seems that our interpretation of “ROCK” is different to what Scribblenauts spawned. It spawned a weird object looking like two blue-yellow antennae. If anyone knows what relationship that has, please elaborate

Overall, Scribblenauts is an interesting game with the unique concept of solving puzzles by using your imagination. With so many different solutions to experiment, not to mention the quest to find ALL THE WORDS, this should last many gamers though the many gaming droughts

Overall a pretty positive preview.

WowBaby

That "rock" bit seems weird. We'll have to see..

And, did they say they ran out of ideas?! Oh, that is so not going to happen to me. I'm running out of space in my "Items to Spawn in Scribblenauts" notebook as it is.

toonhead2

Neo Member
Here's a general question, when you get the game will you prefer to write or type in your words? I'll do both but mostly write, even if they say its not perfect.

Cyndar

Neo Member
I think I'll write at first, but eventually it'll just get easier to type, especially when I'm just spawning random words.

Type. It's a QWERTY keyboard so I'll be right at home. My penmanship is also pretty horrid and most programs which try to recognize my words from my writing end up failing. Sometimes I think I'm just straight up writing the letter incorrectly. A lot of my "O"s register as "P"s, for example. Ditto with "T" and "J".

toonhead2

Neo Member
I know exactly what you mean sir. I remember Miah stating that they have writing recognition better than brain age, even though I haven't played brain age.

It will takes some practice. In the trailers short words are written and longer words are typed.

I don't know, with this game I'll like to feel like I'm really writing in the notepad. I am glad that you can choose and it is QWERTY as oppose to alphabetical.

Top Bottom