• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Competitive Super Smash Bros. Melee Discussion Thread

Lucumo

Melee HD would probably either kill the community or give it another huge resurgence. But Nintendo probably cares too little for ever happen.

Which is good, considering I don't like taking chances for no real reason. The current state is pretty much fine, I think.

Codeblue

Which is good, considering I don't like taking chances for no real reason. The current state is pretty much fine, I think.

Except the part where pretty much everything required to play this game has been discontinued. Things are gonna have to change sooner or later.

Except the part where pretty much everything required to play this game has been discontinued. Things are gonna have to change sooner or later.

Yuup. Just had to get rid of two CRTs last week that died on us. More and more are getting recycled or dumped, and the ones that survive are usually the ones too big to move.

HDMI setups will be the main thing keeping the game alive in a decade if nothing changes.

emb

As much as I hate to see the original materials wearing down and fading, I think we'll be alright. I love the authenticity of playing Melee on a Gamecube attached to a CRT, but I could see that becoming more difficult in about 5 years.

Lagless LCD setups are already possible, and I think more people will come around to it when they have to (I'll admit, I don't like it and avoid them when I can.) Wiis loaded with homebrew and Melee isos are also becoming more common. Cube controllers just got a new run, so that's pretty nice; controllers may eventually be replaced with new products though; we're already seeing efforts like that with the Smashbox-likes.

xezuru

Gootecks started tweeting about the Scar and Toph show and the latter has been pushing an announcement. The reason I bring this up is because like 5 years ago or something a Melee Excellent Adventures had a semi push, maybe we'll finally get this, just like 10 years later we might have an EVO Japan, rofl. Maybe 10 years from now all the old people who play Smash will take over Nintendo and have a real melee HD.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Seeing how far SFat got, I feel like Plup could have won if he was playing Sheik. The Luigi run was dope though.

For that to happen, he probably would have had to beat both Swedish and M2K so winners finals was SFAT/Plup. Then M2K would need to eliminate Hbox in losers semis.

WF SFAT, M2K, and Plup are basically toss ups, any of the three could have won from there. GF SFAT would have gotten destroyed by Plup just like he did M2K though.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Wait, Plup and Westballz were playing for top 48? Shouldn't both have been top 10 or at worst top 15 seeds? How does that even happen?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
N0ne with the reverse 3-0 over M2K. He's like M2K's kryptonite.

Well that knee on Hbox's shield will be the weirdest hit of the tournament, and maybe the year.

Codeblue

Chu good.

Mang0 needs to sit down with Hax and really talk about where he's screwing up. He use to be godlike at this match up.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
M2K's Marth looking good. Please drop the dumb Peach counterpick.

What was that grab through the platform? A wobble there would have been so dumb.

Anth0ny

NANA KILLED M2K

yeah the bullshit no practice peach isn't going to be a free win anymore for m2k. iceys are way too good at this point for that bullshit.

he should just go marth or fox against them.

Anth0ny

puff/sopo is 10:0

shiiiiit, campy puff/iceys looks 8:2 from that set. iceys have NO TOOLS to deal with that. just pray for a mistake and capitalize with wobble.

Codeblue

Bummed that it didn't work out, but it's pretty obvious now that ICs can do it and that Chu can win a major (as long as Armada isn't there).

wait how many stages are left in smash 4, i dont follow that game

Duck Hunt and Lylat are out, Dreamland is the same "stage" as Battlefield for bans despite having different blast zones.

So basically it's down two counterpicks and a neutral from the most recent ruleset.

The main reason DH got removed is that certain characters can gimp off the top easily and then run around to stall a match.

Lylat got removed because people don't like it's odd ledge snap issues for some of the cast.

Basically it makes mid-high tiers less effective with counterpicks and the top tiers stay top tier :/

Duck Hunt and Lylat are out, Dreamland is the same "stage" as Battlefield for bans despite having different blast zones.

So basically it's down two counterpicks and a neutral from the most recent ruleset.

The main reason DH got removed is that certain characters can gimp off the top easily and then run around to stall a match.

Lylat got removed because people don't like it's odd ledge snap issues for some of the cast.

Basically it makes mid-high tiers less effective with counterpicks and the top tiers stay top tier :/

Lylat is not out, what

The lylat ruling got reversed. We're at smashville, t&c, lylat, battlefield, and fd for neutrals with omega stages and dl as alternate versions on counter picks.

Lylat also has a Pokemon stadium style fall-through glitch but as far as I'm aware it's never killed anyone at a key moment.

Lylat is not out, what

My b, you're right. Version 1 of the 2017 2GG ruleset had it out though.

Wasn't all the stuff he mentioned at least proposed? I know the community was pretty divided over it though so maybe some of it was changed.

Yeah we didn't even use the new ruleset because no one at my biweekly wanted to.

With EVO in two months I need to get the kids practicing on it though.

The lylat ruling got reversed. We're at smashville, t&c, lylat, battlefield, and fd for neutrals with omega stages and dl as alternate versions on counter picks.

Lylat also has a Pokemon stadium style fall-through glitch but as far as I'm aware it's never killed anyone at a key moment.

Thanks for clarifying!

Top Bottom