• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is it worth giving No Man's Sky a shot 1 year later with all the updates?

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I bought this day one( for PC) and I booted it up about a month or so later. Then I noticed I had to find materials in order to fly off the planet, so I uninstalled it. I didn't see a reason to leave my spot on the planet. There doesn't seem to be any real threat unless you're falling into some sorta lava or toxic pit? Those drones are pointless enemies. I don't even understand why anything exists.

About a month ago (after everyone was praising the updates) I installed it again and this time went with the exploration mode (all the materials are automatically given to you). I spent about an hour flying at light speed and shooting asteroids that looked horrible. They look like dog biscuits when they're broken up in medium size pieces. I wasn't impressed by anything I saw. It felt like I was going somewhere very fast and everything in front of me stayed the same.

I didn't really feel like the game deserved the hype it received. I also feel like I'm LTTP in terms of exploring the galaxies. It all feels so forgettable. Maybe someone with more experience can discuss it. I had a very bad experience with it.

I felt like there was not enough there to keep someone coming back. I didn't feel like I'd discover the 2001 film's ending at the end of the rainbow. It felt like a rock simulator with rocket jets.

PulseONE

I still play it occasionally, I'd say its worth it

It has it's flaws but its improved significantly since launch

Rick1o1

I played for about 5 hours at launch on ps4. Wasn't impressed at all. It was mostly boring, but I hoped it would be better wich it didn't.

I tried it again about 2 months or so ago after hearing a lot of buzz about the new updates. There is more variety now but the core gameplay loop is still the same, so it's still boring. Not worth it imo.

It has significantly more features now but the core gameplay loop is mostly the same. It's just there are strong supporting elements such base building or missions now, or different modes such as survival and permadeath. It's sort of an exploration Minecraft in space, meaning a lot of the core actions you perform are monotonous and much of the satisfaction comes from your sense of exploration or creation.

So, yeah it's worth it if you like that sort of game. It's probably the best balanced survive-explore-prosper game on the market right now, excelling well in all three areas. There are better survival, exploration, or prospering/building games, but none really offer all 3 as well as NMS does. Best played on survival permadeath IMO. That said, it's niche appeal, and really relies on the same sort of create-your-own-adventure creativity that Minecraft does. It assumes you'll have some core fascination and imagination to fuel your exploring and prospering. It's a sandbox game, so it's tools are only as good as the story that you want to create.

I'd say it's worth searching some other recent topics... There were some similar discussions a bit closer to after 1.3's release that were pretty active, with arguments for and against, as the game was still fresh in the mind for a lot of users here at the time.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
No.jpg

Kadayi

Banned
I'd say it is worth a look. Hello Games had added a lot more content with the various updates since launch. I got back into it during the recent ARG they did in the run-up to 1.3 and I was pleased with the additions.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I'd say it is worth a look. Hello Games had added a lot more content with the various updates since launch. I got back into it during the recent ARG they did in the run-up to 1.3 and I was pleased with the additions.

Agreed, the good and still ongoing support brought many gameplay, variety, and graphics upgrades too :).

If the niche style of the game is your thing, then you should absolutely pick it up. I've lost many hours of my life exploring the procedural worlds whilst enjoying the fantastic soundtrack. The new updates added a lot more substance to the gameplay loop. That said, it is a niche title so even if it's cheap, watch lots of YouTube gameplay footage to make sure that it's for you.

TitusTroy

this will seem fun and interesting for the first 15 or so planets...after that it's the same thing over and over with a different color scheme...what a missed opportunity...they could have created a universe filled with life but instead they made the universe feel empty

the will seem fun and interesting for the first 15 or so planets...after that it's the same thing over and over with a different color scheme...what a missed opportunity...they could have created a universe filled with life but instead they made the universe feel empty

Yea, screw them, they shoulda just made a Universe with life.

Is that so much to ask?

I bought this day one( for PC) and I booted it up about a month or so later. Then I noticed I had to find materials in order to fly off the planet, so I uninstalled it. I didn't see a reason to leave my spot on the planet. There doesn't seem to be any real threat unless you're falling into some sorta lava or toxic pit? Those drones are pointless enemies. I don't even understand why anything exists.

About a month ago (after everyone was praising the updates) I installed it again and this time went with the exploration mode (all the materials are automatically given to you). I spent about an hour flying at light speed and shooting asteroids that looked horrible. They look like dog biscuits when they're broken up in medium size pieces. I wasn't impressed by anything I saw. It felt like I was going somewhere very fast and everything in front of me stayed the same.

I didn't really feel like the game deserved the hype it received. I also feel like I'm LTTP in terms of exploring the galaxies. It all feels so forgettable. Maybe someone with more experience can discuss it. I had a very bad experience with it.

I felt like there was not enough there to keep someone coming back. I didn't feel like I'd discover the 2001 film's ending at the end of the rainbow. It felt like a rock simulator with rocket jets.
Why the hell did you buy a game you knew nothing about on day one?

It's actually fun now that they added some purpose/other activities to the main gameplay loop.

If the game shipped in this condition originally, it would have been heralded as a fantastic game.

Go for it. I jumped back in, had a really fun 15-20 romp. Will probably play it again at some point.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Why the hell did you buy a game you knew nothing about on day one?

I was there in the theater watching as they announced this game. I was in the crowd who felt sorry for their studios because it flooded.

I was in the same crowd who thought this game looked absolutely amazing. The videos were doing all the hard work for me. I also got bummed out. I bought the game the very same day it went up for preorder on Humble Bundle. The same day everyone else was putting in their order for the replica special edition.

I was hoping I would be amazed by it, but I got super bummed out when everyone was trashing on it. No real interaction with other players besides small balls of light. It all seemed so great at first.

I even bought a 65daysofstatic album on iTunes after hearing it was an inspiration for the game and that they'd be part of the game. I even watched their live performance they did for the game too.

I even remember the Bombcast from that year before it even came out and everyone was somewhat intrigued by No Man's Sky.

Sean Murray even went on late night talk shows with it naming planets after talk show hosts. It was Late Night with Stephen Colbert.

Played it on launch and I loved it for the first few hours and then it got kind of boring, but those first few hours were fucking awesome. Give it a shot OP, what do you have to lose?

nush

Gold Member
It's actually fun now that they added some purpose/other activities to the main gameplay loop.

If the game shipped in this condition originally, it would have been heralded as a fantastic game.

Go for it. I jumped back in, had a really fun 15-20 romp. Will probably play it again at some point.

Sounds fair, I might pick it up.

down 2 orth

It's absolutely worth it. I started the game after the last major patch, so I never got burned and neither will you. I've put in 50 hrs so far. Awesome game to chill out to.

WaterAstro

Yeah, it's great. Definitely a difference from launch to the recent update. Survival mode is challenging.

But this thread will be full of people who are jaded from the "lies" from launch and never even played the game, so you should really decide if you have the time and money for it.

But this thread will be full of people who are jaded from the "lies" from launch and never even played the game, so you should really decide if you have the time and money for it.

I bear no ill-will against the game at this point in time. However, Sean Murray refuses to apologize even to this day and that's what I don't want to overlook. A simple 'I'm sorry for saying things that weren't true' and I might even give the game a try myself. But just laying low after what happened ... no.

WaterAstro

I bear no ill-will against the game at this point in time. However, Sean Murray refuses to apologize even to this day and that's what I don't want to overlook. A simple 'I'm sorry for saying things that weren't true' and I might even give the game a try myself. But just laying low after what happened ... no.

Apologize for what? It's social media that should apologize for overblowing his "promises".

He didn't promise something better Star Citizen. He just showed off Pokemon Snap in space, and everyone else took it to be a super insane space MMORPG Mass Effect X Eve Online.

Inviusx

I don't think so. You will quickly learn that it's as wide as an ocean but as deep as a puddle and when you get to that point it's a pretty "feels bad man" moment.

If your curiosity gets the better of you then I wouldn't expect to be entertained for more than a few hours, such is the nature of NMS.

Apologize for what? It's social media that should apologize for overblowing his "promises".

He didn't promise something better Star Citizen. He just showed off Pokemon Snap in space, and everyone else took it to be a super insane space MMORPG Mass Effect X Eve Online.

No, there is plenty of evidence (videos of both gameplay and interviews where a certain aspect of the game is explicitly shown/talked) that have not been in the final game. It's the definition of a lie, the same thing happened to alien: Colonial marines. The social media may have increased the proportion of those lies, but they didn't came from the social media.

I enjoy the space age part of Spore where you're developing planets and mining them for spice and then trading spice with other civilizations. I would have played it for hundreds of hours if you didn't have to manually travel to every planet to pick up the spice that had been mined.

Might No Man's Sky be for me? I just got a PS4 and was always curious about it and if there was a gameplay loop that was like my spice trading days (basically no violence, just engaging with the game economy).

I bought it at launch and refunded it back after an hour. But I bought it again recently and it has changed a lot for the better. Performance is much better too. Seems to be a little more structure and narrative to help drive you forward.

Ragnaroz

I bought it heavily discounted a few months ago(after all the updates) and had a lot of fun with it for about 30 hours. But ofc, YMMV.

BANGS

Banned
No. I'll admit it's really fun for an hour or two, but the fun instantly wanes the second you realize this isn't going anywhere...

Malystryx

Neo Member
If the idea of being able to fly from planet to planet, explore, discover plant life and animals sounds fun to you than this game might be for you. If not, a patch isn't going to make any difference.

I've purchased the game twice, once on PS4 to share the experience with a friend and again during the sale this week for PC. I find it to be relaxing and easy to pick up and play when I've only got a little bit of time to game. That being said if you're on a budget I'd recommend getting Nier Automata instead if you don't already have it which is only about $10 more than NMS right now. It's the best game I've played in years.

Harlock

Maybe. There is hours of "campaign", but all missions are very much go there, find a material and go another place build something. Without all the dangers you get in Minecraft, for example.

But for just exploring planets, looking at different biomes, I find a very unique game.

This is the first game I ever refunded on steam, bought it after the second major update. I thought I would enjoy relaxedly touring the galaxy but all I was doing was shooting different plants with my mining laser, there just wasn't much there to pull me in. Technically it was also kind of a mess, with a much lower framerate that I would expect for the visual quality and janky looking appearance in game.

Top Bottom