• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation 3 $100 PRICE DROP shown in Circuit City Ad

ManaByte

ps31.jpg

Sharp said:
We all know the PS3 is worth $499 to you, but Sony has yet even to convince a lot of GAF--let alone mainstream gamers--that it's worth $499 to them.

This is a pretty critical notion to get a handle on.

So nobody's in denial about this, right? We're clear that there's no way this is anything but an honest-to-God pricedrop?

Anyway, good news. I still won't buy one, but I'm glad they're finally trying to be competitive instead of pretending $600 was a good idea.

Liquid

Banned
i think the consumer will see this more as "value adding" than a price cut since the ps3 has already officially had a $500 price point. meh.

Mrbob

Despite my $399.99 or bust talk I figured Sony would only go for a 100 dollar drop now. Might as well test the waters at the $499.99 pricepoint than skipping it all together.

Perhaps we'll see a bundle this holiday season too with a game and/or Spiderman 3 Blu Ray.

If you are waiting for a $299.99 PS3, you'll probably be waiting till 09. The system will go to $399.99 in 08 and then $299.99 in 09.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
$499 is too much for some, so is $399, so is $299, $199. At each step, though, the number it is too much for grows smaller. The question is how large a pool of people they can draw from at this price, before exhausting it and needing another cut. Will that pool of people be enough to sustain 'reasonable' monthly sales until that time? That's the question, really. Anyway you slice it, though, they ought to be in a better position than $599.

If this is true, of course.

Jammy

Banned
It's a good price drop, but it'll still look expensive, especially when compared to the other options out there. The typical consumer is just going to see a system for $250 plus a game, one for $300 or $400 and the other for $500.

I think it just seems less impactful because there was already a very competent $500 PS3 available last holiday season.

MrDaravon

What I find almost more interesting ($100 drop will help, but not enough) is the free year of Live with a purchase of any 360 in that ad. Could MS start adding in the first year of Live free w/a 360 purchase as a way of adding incentive but NOT dropping the price of the system? Interesting.

Sharp said:
Obviously the PS3 will go up, in quality and in sales; it'd be hard for it not to at this point. People are complaining not that the price was dropped (at least not yet, though I'm sure someone will soon), but that it didn't drop enough. We all know the PS3 is worth $499 to you, but Sony has yet even to convince a lot of GAF--let alone mainstream gamers--that it's worth $499 to them. If Sony had dropped the price by $100 more, which was admittedly an unrealistic notion but which a lot of people were hoping for, it could have competed much more favorably and done X360 numbers or higher, regardless of whether the 360's price dropped or not.
No, it's not that at all. First, people who comment negatively about that price drop never contributed positively to any PS3 related topic, they show absolutely no interest in PS3 or it's games. And that's well beyond the price issue.

Second, there are people who expect it to drop to 299$? Or even to 399$? Are we serious here? I understand that it should be at 399$ next year, but now, it just isn't happening, there's too much new technology in there.

499$ is just 19$ more than 360 Elite, and you get a Blu-Ray player and full HDMI 1.2 and 1.3 support with that, and then of course, oftenly discussed, power.

Right now there aren'tgames that would make public really go to the store and buy the system, but with exclusive AAA titles coming month after month starting this month, and price drop, it should change.

I'm not comparing PS3's performance to other consoles, I'm sure that Microsoft and Nintendo hold something up their sleeves, they might go up as well.

Daigoro

Sharp said:
I think if you reread this you'll find it makes perfect sense. It's too little a bit too late to matter, but it's a good start in that the price is finally going down.

i went back and reread. still sounds dumb.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
SailorDaravon said:
What I find almost more interesting ($100 drop will help, but not enough) is the free year of Live with a purchase of any 360 in that ad. Could MS start adding in the first year of Live free w/a 360 purchase as a way of adding incentive but NOT dropping the price of the system? Interesting.

This could be possible.

BTW, CAGers said this place is just as bad as Gamefaqs and I think they're right :lol

Kolgar

SailorDaravon said:

Whoo, interesting thought.

If MS responds with a price cut, though, maybe they'll split the diff and go $50. Saves them some cash (and with the three-year warranty announcement, they'll need it) and STILL gives them a $150 cushion below PS3.

Good to see Sony doing this. Not that they had much choice.

Jammy

Banned
btrboyev said:
its good for consumers of course, but will it end up hurting sony's image to have a drop so soon?

No. There have been systems that have their prices drop sooner. I believe the Xbox, GCN, and DS were among them.

Mrbob

btrboyev said:
its good for consumers of course, but will it end up hurting sony's image to have a drop so soon?

Did it hurt the PS1's image having the system drop in price 100 bucks after 8 months??? ;)

On a semi related note, I'm not sure if MS is guaranteed to drop the system price 100 bucks in response. They'll probably want to wait and see what the impact of the PS3 price drop does first. Also, can they really afford to drop the 360 price 100 dollars after they just said they will spend an additional billion dollars in 360 return/exchange support??? I mean, yeah, they have the money to do so, but if they want the X360 division to make a profit I don't know how they spend a billion dollars on fixes and also take another 100 dollar hit per system at the same time.

SailorDaravon said:

I didn't even see that. Very interesting.

Mojovonio

Banned
Oh my god yes, we can finally start the console war!

MS announces a 3 year warranty and the PS3 gets a price drop.

I love this time of the cycle.

If this is true, i'm getting a PS3 in Nov for sure!

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
Ynos Yrros said:
No, it's not that at all. First, people who comment negatively about that price drop never contributed positively to any PS3 related topic, they show absolutely no interest in PS3 or it's games. And that's well beyond the price issue.

Second, there are people who expect it to drop to 299$? Or even to 399$? Are we serious here? I understand that it should be at 399$ next year, but now, it just isn't happening, there's too much new technology in there.

499$ is just 19$ more than 360 Elite, and you get a Blu-Ray player and full HDMI 1.2 and 1.3 support with that, and then of course, oftenly discussed, power.

Right now there aren'tgames that would make public really go to the store and buy the system, but with exclusive AAA titles coming month after month starting this month, and price drop, it should change.

I'm not comparing PS3's performance to other consoles, I'm sure that Microsoft and Nintendo hold something up their sleeves, they might go up as well.
I don't think anyone said anything negatively about the price drop. Who would, really?

Mojovonio said:

Yeah things are getting interesting again. After all the sales have become so mindnumbling consistent. Personally I like this news because I'm waiting for MS to follow suit.

tribal24

Banned
Mojovonio said:

yup it just officially started lol

Mrbob

btrboyev said:
it dropped only because sega did first though I believe.

No, Sony has always moved to their own beat. For better or for worse. They always seem to be the aggressor when it comes to price cuts, and it looks to be the case again.

Sharp

Ynos Yrros said:

As far as your first point goes, okay, but most of them haven't said anything particularly negative yet, have they? Re: your second, god yes there were people expecting it to drop to $399. It's been the topic of choice for the last few weeks, and I know I've seen you in those threads. But if your point was that the PS3's sales will go up because of the price drop, no matter what happens with the other consoles, then yes, I agree. I don't know how much they will go up, but they will go up.

btrboyev said:
No, it will not. It makes Sony look like it knows what it's doing, which is welcome, and puts the PS3 one step closer to affordability.

Daigoro said:
i went back and reread. still sounds dumb.
'Kay.

Krowley

Well assuming this is true, they're still 100 dollars away from my ballpark, but that's better than being 200 dollars away.

So i'm not going to shit on good news. I think it will help sales, but i'm not sure if it will help a whole lot. They're closer to the true sweet zone than they were.

I don't know what you idiots are talking about since it's A. clearly labeled that the regular price is still $599 and B. only available at this price for a limited time.

ManaByte

Jammy said:
No. There have been systems that have their prices drop sooner. I believe the Xbox, GCN, and DS were among them.

Xbox:
North America

* US$299 (November 15, 2001, Launch Price) (CAD$449)
* US$199 (May 15, 2002) (CAD$299)
* US$179 (May 14, 2003) (CAD$249)
* US$149 (March 29, 2004) (CAD$199)

GameCube:
North America

* US$199.99 (November 18, 2001, Launch Price) (CAD$299.99)
* US$149.99 (May 13, 2002) (CAD$229.99)
* US$99.99 (September 24, 2003)[12] (CAD$119.99)
* US$49.99 (present)

DS:
United States:

* 21 November 2004 - November 2005 $149.99 (MSRP)
* 21 August 2005 - present $129.99 (MSRP)

Just for comparison's sake, the PS2:

North America

* US$299.99 (October 26, 2000, release date) (CAD$449.99)
* US$199.99 (May 14, 2002) (CAD$299.99)
* US$179.99 (May 13, 2003, "temporary" pricing) (CAD$249.99)
* US$179.99 (August 18, 2003, official pricing)[3]
* US$149.99 (May 11, 2004) (CAD$179.99)
* US$129.99 (April 20, 2006) (CAD$139.99)

The PlayStation 2 dropped $100 a day before the Xbox did.

Ramenman

Is the 360 3 year warranty thing worldwide right now or is Europe still waiting ? I only saw the Peter Moore letter on the US website.

Also waiting to see if this PS3 price drop will happen in Europe....

Burai

shitonmychest57
btrboyev said:

I think having all of their third parties abandon ship due to selling less than 80k units a month would probably hurt their image somewhat more, no?

spwolf

Link316 said:
more like $500, Sony's BR Player was $999, now its $499

so PS3 should be $100 now? :)

Btw, it is not the same player, first Sony player was of higher quality, new one is the affordable one, it is not just drop of diode pricing, although that has played an large role...

Sharp

Effulgence said:
I don't know what you idiots are talking about since it's A. clearly labeled that the regular price is still $599 and B. only available at this price for a limited time.
homergh6.gif

Kolgar

Effulgence said:

I think CC (and other retailers) must have got wind of what's coming and are taking advantage of a "PRICE BRAEK!!!111" promotion to juice sales ahead of next Wednesday.

Mojovonio

Banned
Effulgence said:

what's it like to live in an alternate reality?

Kolgar said:
I think CC (and other retailers) must have got wind of what's coming and are taking advantage of a "PRICE BRAEK!!!111" promotion to juice sales ahead of next Wednesday.

Retailers have deals on the 360 all the time, I don't see how this is any different except there are rumors of a price drop surrounding the console.

edit: BUY.COM HAS PS3 FOR $550 + 5 FREE BLU-RAY MOVIES OMG PRICE DROP INCOMING

armubaba

Wow. Well that really helps the buy-a-PS3 case. With compelling titles like Uncharted and MGS4, it's gonna be tough to resist at $500. I think that if MS wants to stay ahead of the game, they have to price-drop; and soon. Although I doubt it will happen, but if MS does a 65nm inclusion and price drop before the release of Halo 3, it'd be a HUGE blow to the competition.

spwolf

Sharp said:
As far as your first point goes, okay, but most of them haven't said anything particularly negative yet, have they? Re: your second, god yes there were people expecting it to drop to $399. It's been the topic of choice for the last few weeks, and I know I've seen you in those threads. But if your point was that the PS3's sales will go up because of the price drop, no matter what happens with the other consoles, then yes, I agree. I don't know how much they will go up, but they will go up.

and? People on GAF expect pricing to go down all the time. I expect it to be 49$.

Does that make it any more real? $100 drop is an big drop that most people did not think it will happen. It is very good move by Sony, and just in time when they will be releasing blockbusters on weekly basis.

I wonder what they will do with Europe since it launched 5 months later...

It should be 100 less now and another 100 less for Christmas prompting Microsoft to go 100 down too.

And I won't get any of them because I won't be able to decide which one to get :lol

Kolgar

mckmas8808 said:
But MS has that new warranty 3 year thing that's going to run them $1 Billion Dollars.

Separate issue. MS can't let repair problems and costs muck up their overall console strategy.

MrDaravon

Wario64 said:
This could be possible.

BTW, CAGers said this place is just as bad as Gamefaqs and I think they're right :lol

Have you been to the non-deal, or even the deal forums of CAG? They're like Gamefaqs but with avatars and sigs.

I wish Sony could have pushed for a slightly bigger price cut. If they had knocked $150 off and brought it down to $449, that would have been quite the sweet spot. It would be lower than the 20 gig model that no longer exists so it would now be the cheapest the PS3 has ever been. It would also make the 360 Elite look stupid since it costs $30 more and you don't get as many features, and it puts it within $50 of the Premium 360 which is the best selling unit for MS but you get a lot more for that $50 price difference. It would have really put pressure on Microsoft at that point but by being $499, it's still $100 more than the Premium and $20 more than the Elite thus not so much pressure.

Top Bottom