• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite |OT| Marvel vs. Capcom: 4 Female Characters

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
The reviews are also pretty much what we expected. Underwhelming roster, lackluster presentation, not enough content, no endings in Arcade, but great gameplay. We predicted most of this stuff.

Sometimes I wonder if Capcom expects this type of backlash and doesn't care. There's a disconnect somewhere.

well from their sales prediction for the title they are clearly delusional.

Dartastic

Only got to play for a couple hours last night (and a decent amount of that was story mode so I didn't get to do much) but holy FUCK this game is fun. I played through arcade mode once as Spidey/Gamora and AGHGHGHGH I LOVE THIS GAME ALREADY. Also, I watched 3/4 of the set between Combofiend and F. Champ last night and GODDAMN that was hype as hell. F. Champ is too good, already.

I'm playing on PC right now because my monitor is much better than my TV in regards to response rate, but I can't really run it in full screen because of some weird stutter. I hope they fix it soon. I wonder if it has to do with the fact that I have a Gsync monitor?

McNum

These mission mode combos have always been jank unoptimized or unreliable combos anyway.
I find it hilarious that in Mission Mode, there's a warning on day one that whatever you do there probably won't work anywhere else in the game. I can understand a warning like that after a new season of Street Fighter V, but on launch day for Infinite? That's amazing in all the wrong ways.

Honestly, Infinite has the same problem that a lot of Capcom fighting games do. There's a blank space in the tutorial from "This is what the buttons do." to "Now do this wildly impractical combo that no beginner has any chance of pulling off!" What's the point of having advanced systems in the game if you're unable to tell a new player what they do and why that's neat? Heck, where in the game do you go to get an overview of what a character is about?

Lyonaz

Wtf at Dante's mission 5, how the hell does one go from Million Carats into Beehive without breaking his controller or his sanity?

Dahbomb

My favorite is the Captain America Mission Mode #10.

Nowhere in the actual tutorial does the game teach you to do DUD jumps. They don't even teach you that you can do a DUD jump off of a launcher to hit enemies closer to the ground after the launcher.

Then they ask you to do EXACTLY that with Cap's Mission 10. It's a combo that requires the short hop and most player who don't know that you have to do a DUD jump would just quit.

Capcom honestly hasn't learned shit.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
so can FChamp (or any of the other Marvel 3 EVO winners) even enter for SCR if they have a guaranteed spot in that Battle for the Stones thing?

I find it hilarious that in Mission Mode, there's a warning on day one that whatever you do there probably won't work anywhere else in the game. I can understand a warning like that after a new season of Street Fighter V, but on launch day for Infinite? That's amazing in all the wrong ways.

Honestly, Infinite has the same problem that a lot of Capcom fighting games do. There's a blank space in the tutorial from "This is what the buttons do." to "Now do this wildly impractical combo that no beginner has any chance of pulling off!" What's the point of having advanced systems in the game if you're unable to tell a new player what they do and why that's neat? Heck, where in the game do you go to get an overview of what a character is about?

If there's one thing SFV did right, it's that their demostrations cover that middle point. They give a brief description that's just enough to get an idea of what they can do and why it's important. You can't actually play them, but the information is there.

Nowhere in the actual tutorial does the game teach you to do DUD jumps. They don't even teach you that you can do a DUD jump off of a launcher to hit enemies closer to the ground after the launcher.

Then they ask you to do EXACTLY that with Cap's Mission 10. It's a combo that requires the short hop and most player who don't know that you have to do a DUD jump would just quit.

They're making half steps. The "view demonstration" for sure saved me some time.

McNum

Ah! That's note entirely true, they learned one thing! You can ask for a demonstration now!

I'll be honest, I don't get who Mission Mode is for. Is it for the hardcore? Pfft, no. The combos in the mission are hilariously weird and as the game proudly announces, probably won't work anyway. So... is it for new players to get some easy to use combos in increasing difficulty? No, the combos are needlessly complex for little reward and, again, they probably won't work outside Mission Mode.

So... who is Mission Mode for? And where do new players go to get help on getting started with a character?
If there's one thing SFV did right, it's that their demostrations cover that middle point. They give a brief description that's just enough to get an idea of what they can do and why it's important. You can't actually play them, but the information is there.
Yeah those are nice. Surprised they aren't in Infinite. Dr. Light's lab would have been a decent place to put those, perhaps. It was neat to be shown each special move and why that worked.

I mean it's no Guilty Gear Xrd, but... it was nice.

It's really fucking weird that they don't get it and then wonder why the player base doesn't grow. Lots of money left on the table.

It's a shame cause they have fantastic gameplay for the most part. Time to evolve. View demonstration helps and is good, but if they want to be the leader they gotta do more.

Game is really fun. Almost got the spider bnb and iron man is coming, but it's just different timing from 3. Conversions are next, then tag combos. Then setups and finally, shame cube combos.

Mesoian

Only got to play for a couple hours last night (and a decent amount of that was story mode so I didn't get to do much) but holy FUCK this game is fun. I played through arcade mode once as Spidey/Gamora and AGHGHGHGH I LOVE THIS GAME ALREADY. Also, I watched 3/4 of the set between Combofiend and F. Champ last night and GODDAMN that was hype as hell. F. Champ is too good, already.

I'm playing on PC right now because my monitor is much better than my TV in regards to response rate, but I can't really run it in full screen because of some weird stutter. I hope they fix it soon. I wonder if it has to do with the fact that I have a Gsync monitor?

You need to disable vsync in the ini file, you should be good after that.

Lyonaz

Okay I need to learn how to read the command list, apparently you can do Beehive from the DDHP Volcano instead of Stinger, Volcano Beehive.
Man Dante has too many moves...

Dahbomb

I treat Mission mode as a fun proof of concept thing. It gets your feet wet and gives a sample combo that your character is capable of. It"s not supposed to be a BnB or optimum combo, just a proof of concept.

Rhaknar

so how do you do these palm breaker loops? I can get 2 from the normal BNB right, but then I fall back to the ground after the second. Are you supposed to be fast enough to jump back up and do another 2, etc?

so for example, LP,LK,HP,HK, launcher, LP, LK, HP, ->HP (palm breaker), dash, ->HP (second palm breaker), super which is like 5200 dmg

I have that down easily, even in matches. But I dont get how to do the loop.

Dahbomb

so how do you do these palm breaker loops? I can get 2 from the normal BNB right, but then I fall back to the ground after the second. Are you supposed to be fast enough to jump back up and do another 2, etc?

so for example, LP,LK,HP,HK, launcher, LP, LK, HP, ->HP (palm breaker), dash, ->HP (second palm breaker), super which is like 55%

I have that down easily, even in matches. But I dont get how to do the loop.
I am pretty sure the full palm loops is only possible in the corner.

JeTmAn81

Wtf at Dante's mission 5, how the hell does one go from Million Carats into Beehive without breaking his controller or his sanity?

Try QCF->P,P,P for Million Carats. You should have plenty of time to enter the Beehive command (D,D->P,P) I believe.

Also I forgot to post the production version of my MVCI guide app. It's basically just got the movelists but it's useful to have open on your phone rather than flipping through game menus.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mvciguide

There are other "guide" apps on the store but they seem to be bogus, don't even have movelists that I saw.

McNum

I treat Mission mode as a fun proof of concept thing. It gets your feet wet and gives a sample combo that your character is capable of. It"s not supposed to be a BnB or optimum combo, just a proof of concept.
...but the game explicitly warns you that the combos in there may or may not work. Can't show what a character can do if the character actually can't do that anyway.

Honestly it just feel like Mission Mode is there because Street Fighter had it, not because anyone sat back and asked if it made any sense in its current form. Because it doesn't. Not that it did in Street Fighter, either.

Skittles

...but the game explicitly warns you that the combos in there may or may not work. Can't show what a character can do if the character actually can't do that anyway.

Honestly it just feel like Mission Mode is there because Street Fighter had it, not because anyone sat back and asked if it made any sense in its current form. Because it doesn't. Not that it did in Street Fighter, either.
That warning is there for when the game is updated and character's movelists are changed. Mission mode will still have the movelist the game launched with

Grimsen

So far I played a bit of Ryu (not enough to find anything good, but watching Max play him on his tream last night was pretty cool and gave me ideas) and Gamora (very basic with her, not entirely sure what to do yet) to go along with Spider Man (I like him a lot so far)

Who should I try next to pair up with Spidey? In 3 I played Spencer and some Cap. Iron Man looks neat now. Any tips?

Skilletor

Makes sense to me. Shows me what's possible, gives me a sense of character tools, and how combos can work.

People that go into them looking for bread and butters are the ones doing it wrong. And that's true in EVERY game with combo modes like this.

Dartastic

You need to disable vsync in the ini file, you should be good after that.
Oh shit! I didn't know you can do that.

Edit: Found this on the Steam forums.

I found out how.
Go to <steamdir>\steamapps\common\MARVEL VS CAPCOM INFINITE\MVCI\Saved\Config\WindowsNoEditor and search for the Engine.ini file.
Open it and add these lines at the end:
[SystemSettings]
r.VSync=0
And voilà, vsync is off.
Sometimes you're the best help you can find.

JeTmAn81

I love Mission Mode, I just like having a set combo to do and trying it out. I'm not looking for anything practical, though I do think doing Mission Mode helps ingrain the standard ground and air combo starter sequences because you see them over and over.

I've always wished for a system that would let players upload their own combos so others could tackle them in a Mission Mode type environment. This would make it a lot easier for new players to pick up the standard BnB's as they are established.

NotLiquid

I'd argue a well designed mission mode isn't about learning you combos but to test your execution capabilities and understanding how moves can lead into one another.

Even Guilty Gear's great mission mode doesn't feature optimal combos in the latter stages and they get wild as hell at times, but I know for a fact that beating Baiken and Jack-O's mission modes gave me a much deeper understanding of the characters and their moves, and I felt like a better player for it (even if I still can't avoid choking under pressure when applying much of my knowledge in actual battles - the struggle continues).

And in a game like Marvel Infinite you basically make your own BnBs and combos, so don't rely too much on the game telling you how to play.

*I haven't delved deep into the mission mode.

McNum

Makes sense to me. Shows me what's possible, gives me a sense of character tools, and how combos can work.

People that go into them looking for bread and butters are the ones doing it wrong. And that's true in EVERY game with combo modes like this.
But then where do people go for basic beginner level bread and butter combos?

And if you say "outside the game", then once more, a Capcom game has failed at teaching players how to play. I wish they'd learn, but they're clearly of the "Now drown less!" school of teaching how to swim.

FSLink

Banned
I dont see whats obtuse about LP, LK, HP, HK for the magic series but ok

just think "up, down, up, down" on your buttons (assuming you are using LP, HP on top, LK, HK on bottom like most people)

so, what ultron or captain marvel do with those loops in the air, is not the same as thanos palm breaker loops correct?

those are fly / unfly, thanos is just dash in between?
I don't think anyone think the order is obtuse...I think most people remember the order of LP LK HP HK pretty easily, but there's more variation here. Sometimes you have to do LP LK cHK cHP and finish the air combo with d.HK or HP or other variations where in MvC3 it was almost always LMHS sj MMHS for a basic combo outside of a few exceptions.

So I'm not surprised the MvC3 veterans here are taking a bit to adjust.

brian!

I'd argue a well designed mission mode isn't about learning you combos but to test your execution capabilities and understanding how moves can lead into one another.

Even Guilty Gear's great mission mode doesn't feature optimal combos in the latter stages and they get wild as hell at times, but I know for a fact that beating Baiken and Jack-O's mission modes gave me a much deeper understanding of the characters and their moves, and I felt like a better player for it (even if I still can't avoid choking under pressure when applying much of my knowledge in actual battles - the struggle continues).

And in a game like Marvel Infinite you basically make your own BnBs and combos, so don't rely too much on the game telling you how to play.

that's pretty much on point for mvci, unoptimal combos but combos that teach you certain interactions

Skilletor

But then where do people go for basic beginner level bread and butter combos?

And if you say "outside the game", then once more, a Capcom game has failed at teaching players how to play. I wish they'd learn, but they're clearly of the "Now drown less!" school of teaching how to swim.

/shrug

Not my struggle. It's the same in literally every game with a trial mode. Couple easy combos tog get your feet wet, then tons of stuff that you'll never see except in the trials.

I don't really care because I don't think the majority of people that buy fighting games actually want to learn how to play them.

Yeah, this.

Negaduck

Trials are letting me get the general feel of how a character plays. Just controlling them and how to do some combos.

After I finish all the trials I'll solidify my team. Right now it's Jedah for sure.

ZeroCDR

I don't think anyone think the order is obtuse...I think most people remember the order of LP LK HP HK pretty easily, but there's more variation here. Sometimes you have to do LP LK cHK cHP and finish the air combo with d.HK or HP or other variations where in MvC3 it was almost always LMHS sj MMHS for a basic combo outside of a few exceptions.

So I'm not surprised the MvC3 veterans here are taking a bit to adjust.

Yep, severing the MvC3 muscle memory is rough for me. Even though I also played an insane amount of MvC2 back in the day, I'm so used to double tapping lights when I try to switch into that mindset.

I'm getting there though, I do feel like I improved even after just a few hours. Can't wait to dig in more tonight.

Neoxon

Yeah, I saw it at $51 USD when it was mentioned.

Could've been a pricing glitch.
I can testify to this, I also saw $51 when it was first mentioned. But given how quickly Amazon changed it back, it being a pricing glitch wouldn't surprise me.

Seijuro

How many fights are there in story mode? Don't like what I've seen of cutscenes so far, and am only interested to get the stages.

Rhaknar

How many fights are there in story mode? Don't like what I've seen of cutscenes so far, and am only interested to get the stages.

a lot, and most are against fodder enemies

Worst thing about trials is that you can't see the shit on the bottom of the list all at once. I was going through Arthur's trial 10, until I forgot to shoot the crossbow right before the level 3 at the end.

Top Bottom