• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'And I'm out...' moments in gaming.

La noire

Shot a dude in his arm as he was about to shoot his hostage

He recoiled, stumbling away from hostage as I walked up on him to apprehend

He then regains composure out of nowhere, shoots hostage with shot-up arm

Shadow of Mordor. Played it for about 6 hrs and I just had a hard time enjoying the game. I love LOTR too which was quite disappointing.

soyamilo

Neo Member
The Trial of Fools in Hollow Knight. It's a long fight sequence and when you die, you restart all over. Sucks for me who ain't good enough

Cranster

Banned
xUq9t.png

This moment literally nearly had me chuck my Xbox 360 out the window and swear off gaming forever!

Zeneric

Somewhere in The Ringed City (Dark Souls 3). Haven't looked back since. I'll return back to it and try again someday...

In Dark Souls 2 definitive edition, in one of the DLCs, there is a boss that is a middle size knight that has a fire sword (fume knight). I beat it but it was so infuriating and tense that I don't want to play the series again. From time to time I think to go back but those memories just keep me away.

Other was FFIV DS. At the moon dungeon, after spending two hours in exploration, I stepped into two dragons but my party appeared backwards and I was killed immediately. I left the game are that point.

Forward

Not so much a gameplay faux pas that made me walk away, more a conscious design choice.

As for any other examples, I don't remember walking out on games for specific purposes, outside of being a scrub at fighting games.

Man... you and me both.

Fuck that game. The combat was JUST compelling enough to drag me through a few dozen hours of willfully overlooking bad design decisions, and then that atrocity happened. Lymle is the literal poster child for the prenatal abortion of terrible ideas. Even otherwise objectively bad games like Star Ocean 4 don't deserve to die a slow, genetically disintegrated, mutant death by plutonic waste worse than anything Robocop might depict at its very worst, like That Which is Named Lymle. She even managed to make FAIZE a billion times worse for her existing.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Sadly Dragons Dogma, when I gave the weapon merchant a low tier idol (bronze) thinking I would be able to keep giving him higher tier ones after for better weapons, turned out I fucked it, I already missed couple of timed quests by that point, but that was the moment I said, I'm out.
Uh... you missed out on a couple of good weapons he sells, but you get better gear later on anyway. :|

Final Fantasy 6: Got to the World of Ruin, found out that I was forced to either find the characters I put time into, or use the 3 scrubs that I never bothered with. Took a third option and quit entirely.
Celes and Sabin are scrubs now? lol

Finding your favourite characters is part of the quest, anyway. I always try to get Shadow back asap because he's my favourite.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
It was Ornstein and Smough in Dark Souls. It wasn't the boss fight itself though. After spending hours on that fight and at my wits end, I was making my way back to the room when I got invaded and subsequently destroyed.

I put the game down for a year after that.

DOTA 2, 7.0 update killed it for me. The new map, the new mechanics. I have a healthy relationship now and not an addiction with that game, but that update really killed it for me. I'm thankful it took me away.

Edit: Updates made it better and I still play a game every now and then, but not all the time.

Latest one was Crash Bandicoot 1 remastered. Some level designs are really awful and getting gold medal is really hard! Liked this game as a kid, but now I don't like it much. Still LOVE 2 & 3 though.

Forward

Final Fantasy 4: everyone kept dying and coming back to life for story reasons and it kept getting dumb as fuck. The monk kicked me out of an exploding room so HE could die instead, then minutes later in the same scene Cid jumps off your airship with a bomb strapped to himself so HE can die too. Turned the game off and deleted my save file afterwards.

Final Fantasy 6: Got to the World of Ruin, found out that I was forced to either find the characters I put time into, or use the 3 scrubs that I never bothered with. Took a third option and quit entirely.

Huh.

Both Yang and Cid got royally fucked up, in those scenes. Yang was a Master Monk, so Iron Body and Ki got him through... barely. And Cid had a gadget for everything. He quite literally invented plot devices.

If Edgar, Sabin, and Celes were scrubs to you, I wonder that you don't maintain that Hsien Ko was tops in MvC3. Was Mog your MVP? Gatdam. Those are three of the top 5 characters in the game.

Mondrian

I have only ever noped out of console games, the latest was Infamous Second Sun, the intro was terrible. Uninstalled immediately. If I get stuck in a PC game and actually am into it, I'll just cheat using cheat engine or something to progress through and finish it.

Metal Gear Solid V, "It takes 2+ hours to complete this crafting, that only counts down in game, also these side missions that 24 hours over the internet, but wait theres more, you gotta gather the materials too! AINT THIS FUN!"

Hard out after the first boss.

Fredrik

Bloodborne

I'm sure it's a great game if you learn how to play it but after replaying the same part like 15 times early on I just said "Nope." and turned off the console and haven't bothered starting the game again. I simply didn't have fun enough to replay the levels like that, being a parent with limited time for games I just don't have time for that crap.
Best game on the console? Lol nope

Shadow of Mordor. Had to sneak through this enemy camp to kill everyone. Was about forty mins in, died, had to restart from the beginning of the chapter. I don't have time for that nonsense.

I bounced off Shadow of Mordor in similar fashion. That and eventually I just got tired of the game's repetitiveness in general.

Uncharted 4 - playing on hard for my first go-through, it started to give me nausea around the part on the islands where you have to jump from platforms to platforms while shooting people. Tried to adjust the settings, but I can't get rid of that nauseous feeling and the section is way too hard with too many enemies. Fuck this boring game anyways.

CEJames

Getting duplicate Exotics in Destiny 2

Teammates destroying the rainmaker shield but not grabbing the rainmaker and moving it forward in Splatoon

Bloodborne

I'm sure it's a great game if you learn how to play it but after replaying the same part like 15 times early on I just said "Nope." and turned off the console and haven't bothered starting the game again. I simply didn't have fun enough to replay the levels like that, being a parent with limited time for games I just don't have time for that crap.
Best game on the console? Lol nope

That's how all Souls games are. Though Bloodborne can be more frustrating than others because the bosses seem to have a crazy amount of health.

So, I'm playing through NieR: Automata and I've been having a blast - just a really great, really unique experience.

However, straight out of nowhere the game upped and gave me the middle finger and I'm very seriously wondering whether I'll ever go back.

To explain: I'd just reached the
Second Resource Unit
and encountered a fairly considerable difficulty spike in the hacking mini-game, which up until then I'd managed quite comfortably.

It was pretty frustrating but after dozens of tries I finally powered through. A hell of a challenge, but there was a sense of achievement in it which all good games aspire to.

Now, it's worth noting that the nearest save point at this juncture requires a considerable backtrack filled with fiddly lift-calling and a short trek across the over-world - it's not a notion that would immediately spring to mind.

So, I press on keen to follow the building - excellently-paced - narrative. In the next area a cut-scene, tension building, and a boss. A boss who proceeds to one-shot me in a single move and bounce me back to the title screen with absolutely no ceremony.

All those tedious and frustrating mini-games that I'd battled through and managed to overcome by sheer determination and a whole lot of luck were now reset, waiting to be redone over.

I put the controller down and said 'no'. It felt like a massive fuck you from the developer and I'm inclined to say the same right back.

I'm keen to see how the story plays out, sure, and every other part of the game has been a blast but Yoko Taro is too experienced and too meticulous to have made such an obvious blunder.

No prior enemies had ever had the power to one-shot and the hacking mini-games had never been quite that difficult. Ordinarily, I'd bump the difficulty down and say 'two can play at that game'. But no, the hacking games aren't altered by selecting a lower difficulty - there's no way to ignore them and push past. No I'll have to repeat them, but honestly it's already severely damaged my experience.

Even at thier most notoriously sadistic, I can never remember games like Dark Souls or Bloodborne dumping on me like that - once you overcome a challenge, the victory is yours to bask in - this was different and it makes me disinclined to persevere.

Has anyone else ever had this? A moment when the game says 'fuck you' and you shrug your shoulders and walk away?

Nobody likes a quitter bro.

Get some GRIT!

On that note I literally did this with Twilight Princess 10 years ago.

I was at the second to last boss and couldnt beat him for shit

Came back 3 years later and I won in 3 minutes flat

had no idea what happened really, I guess I just noticed more lol.

Getting duplicate Exotics in Destiny 2

Teammates destroying the rainmaker shield but not grabbing the rainmaker and moving it forward in Splatoon

Teammates taking the Rainmaker to YOUR pedestal and unceremoniously dying a centimeter from said pedestal, giving the other team the win on a silver platter.

statham

Enclave on the OG Xbox. Game was fantastic, graphics were the best at the time, combat was fun. The game was hard as fuck, even worse save points hardly existed , I did very well tho, until one part, that if you died you had to work your way thought 20 minutes of also hard as shit stuff. After about 15 attempts, I traded it in. I really loved it until that part. I heard they patched the PC version to make it easlier/ and more save points, but never the Xbox version. :/

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I wonder how many "I have kids/a job/etc, I don't have time for <game>" sink countless hours in the likes of Zelda, Skyrim, GTA, Diablo, Destiny, Ubisoft Open-World Game, etc...

That's how all Souls games are. Though Bloodborne can be more frustrating than others because the bosses seem to have a crazy amount of health.
Wut? Most Bloodborne bosses, especially early ones, die way faster than early Souls bosses.

Enclave on the OG Xbox. Game was fantastic
Said no one ever

lol, sorry. I just, well, got this game for free one day, and noped out on an early level because it was so bad. I don't know if the Xbox version was significantly different though... But well, I wrote a small review for Steam here. (Which, despite being detailed and reasonable, got many downvotes, go figure... who knew this game had such a following?)

I'd say recently, the 900 Korok Seeds in Zelda (I collected about 400 upon beating the game) and the finding out there really isn't a reward for getting them all.

I thought, "Yeah... No. I'm not doing that."

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
I have had a few of these but the main and most recent one was the two expansions for Ghost Recon Wildlands. I finished the main story/game 100% solo and for the most part, enjoyed it but the two expansions were a different story.

Narco Road just fucking sucked to me. It's a fucking joke. I like the idea of being solo without any of my AI team mates but that was as far as it goes. Hated the stupid stunts and whatnot as well as the monster trucks especially since you can barely see over them from behind. Just bad. I quit it after two or three story missions. And tailing a fucking helicopter??? Are you fucking kidding me??? Just UGH.

Fallen Ghosts started out good. Loved the knife stealth kills. Loved the new enemies and group but my main problem was the same in Narco Road and the base game which was the respawning of enemies at outposts, SAM's respawning if you blow one up and go a certain distance, come back and it's brand fucking new again. Absolutely fucking hated Unidad in the entire game and both expansions. They're simply not any fun. Also, why is the Santa Blanca cartel still hanging around? I could see if the left overs from Santa Blanca went to work with the new enemy group (I can't remember their name) and provide a little minor threat on the roads and whatnot but that should have been the end of it. Also, Unidad should NOT exist and most of all and this is my main complaint overall with the entire game and expansions - every area/region/outposts should STAY cleared once I do just that. What's the point of eliminating all these enemies and yet, they keep somehow someway keep coming back? Really missed the classic Ubisoft formula for how the game handled outposts, etc. Not having this hurt the game and both the expansions in my opinion.

Since I purchased the gold edition digitally without doing as much research as I should have since I assumed it was going to be following the classic Ubisoft formula/setup and was disappointed that it didn't, despite finishing the main base game 100%, I still look at this and the expansions as an overall loss of $70. I should have just played the base game when I owned the disc and then trade it in when I was finished with it instead of buying it digitally.

Unless Ubisoft adds in the "clearing" of outposts (which would also make Unidad more tolerable), im taking the monetary loss and im done with this fucking game.

Dirtbag

Ordinance drops in Halo 4 MP. Switched me from Xbox to Playstation as my console for the following generation. No regurts

Servbot24

Banned
Shadow of Mordor. Played it for about 6 hrs and I just had a hard time enjoying the game. I love LOTR too which was quite disappointing.
I quit this when I closed my eyes, held the controller with one hand, mashed for 2 minutes, and won the battle almost unscathed.

There is literally no redeeming quality to that game.

Skikkiks

Metroid Prime 3: Corruption

"hey go back to the random worlds and get some fuckin batteries to beat the game"
"no fuck off"
"ok"

haven't played it since

Fredrik

I had tons of fun with Demon's Souls (even though I never finished it), Bloodborne simply didn't show enough fun gameplay before starting to punish me. I died on the first enemy probably 20 times and nearly gave up right there, didn't find a weapon and tried killing that werewolf monster with my bare hands, tried to flee from it out in the open area afterwards but it just followed me and killed me. Then I went to that other realm and got weapons as a gift and then it was super easy, for awhile... Too much frustration and replaying for me.

snap

Banned
I had multiple of these moments in Dangonronpa. For the early on ones, I went "well maybe I'm not really giving it a fair shake" (not being a fan of visual novels or anime but wanting to see what people liked about them) but the later ones were "well I've already gotten this far"

I started the second one and the first time they showed a character with a completely different art style to everyone else I went "yeah OK I'm not doing this to myself again"

I quit this when I closed my eyes, held the controller with one hand, mashed for 2 minutes, and won the battle almost unscathed.

There is literally no redeeming quality to that game.

the random out of nowhere backlash to this game after the fact is one of the most disappointing things in gaming of the last few years

you realize most of the complaints of the combat are things lifted directly from the arkham games right

Myriadis

Metroid Prime 3: Corruption

"hey go back to the random worlds and get some fuckin batteries to beat the game"
"no fuck off"
"ok"

haven't played it since

Metroid Prime 3 is not as bad as the first two in that regard. You don't need to collect every battery and most are gotten through the story anyway. In Metroid Prime 1 you have to get all 12 artifacts and they are well hidden enough that you don't really know about them until you're near the end.

Jet Force Gemini for me, the final boss is such a jump in difficulty that I couldn't do it. Especially since you find out at this point that collecting the rocket launcher upgrades with the other two is the wrong way as only Juno can beat him and you need to collect these upgrades as him only.

Ovech-King

Gold Member
Anyone played Hellblade Senua Sacrifice ?

That part at the end where you are surrounded by consecutive waves of like 10 ennemies around you made me delete that game right away. It's like 10 minutes of endless evade and don't you dare strike more than once before evading again !

Sulik2

I noped out on Naughty Dog as a developer completely after Uncharted 3 for an extreme version of this.

MGS4 when you meet the dude who craps himself. Came back six months later made it to act two, then shut off my PS3 and traded in the game after watching a nonsensical 40 minute cut scene between chapters.

Gunblade47

Neo Member
On my first playthrough of FF8 we were too young to realize that maxing your level actually makes the game harder. Spent 2 hours on the last boss until I switched off my ps1.

Years later went into it and picked up on the leveling thing and ended up one shotting the final boss in a limit break.

The leveling system makes replaying it easy today but it makes no sense in an rpg to punish players for wanting to be stronger.

Roshin

I was having a great time in Not a Hero when the ninjas appeared and the difficulty suddenly spiked. If there was a trick to dealing with them, I never figured it out. I couldn't progress and quit the game.

Ahasverus

Another one of my "favorites": Arkham Knight.

"So you did 12 annoying puzzle levels to save Catwoman? Too bad, I'm gonna tease you in my boss form, kidnap her again and tell you need to get the 223513 collectibles to fight me and get some closure.

BTW, you also need to do this plus 80 MMO shit tier repetitive "missions" to see the ending of this already dull and tank battle ridden game.

Happy franchise finale! "

Well fuck you too, Rocksteady.

NKnight7

Neo Member
These moments usually happen for me when I encounter some serious bugs/glitches in a game within its opening hours, I think the last time it happened was with ME: Andromeda. Though, after waiting a few months and for some extra patches/updates, I did come back and finally finish it.

Top Bottom