• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Arcade Stick Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
lol.

Love the VSHG regardless.

It is just a shame that I can't use it with one of my most played games :(

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
If it is busted for Tekken 6, then lord help me *bangs head on wall*...

Oh well.

SF IV stick ;)

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
http://sdtekken.com/2008/06/07/soul-calibur-iv-arcade-stick/

SDTEKKEN.COM said:
Fans of Hori’s smaller arcade sticks for the will be pleased to know that both the PS3’s Fighting Stick 3 and the Xbox 360’s Fighting Stick EX2 are being repackaged for Soul Calibur IV’s late July release. The SCIV themed sticks are identical to their previous incarnations and feature Soul Calibur IV themed artwork.

Hori Soul Calibur IV Stick (Xbox 360)

2558872983_55831ee671_o.jpg

Soul Calibur IV Stick (PS3)

2559718492_1cbd60a4f7_o.jpg

---

AKA crap.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Lee N said:
Good news for 360 gamers. Finally a proper stick for you guys.

http://static.pici.se/pictures/rCCaAijCg.png[IMG]

[url]http://www.hori.jp/products/xbox360/controller/realarc_pro_ex/[/url]

ouch at the price though.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, ouch at that price. Hm, choices, choices, this or the Fallout 3 Survival Edition... anyone need a spare kidney? :D

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Now that I think of it, can anyone do a custom stick that can switch between PS3, 360 and Wii? I know that someone can do the former two...

dfyb

Banned
twinturbo2 said:
Now that I think of it, can anyone do a custom stick that can switch between PS3, 360 and Wii? I know that someone can do the former two...
someone's done a PS3/360 stick...? my understanding was that was impossible due to 360 not accepting non-360 pads. i know PC/PS3 pads are possible though.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Some people have done dual PCB sticks... the more popular one being a VSHG modded for use on PS3 and 360.

Someone on Yahoo auctions Japan is also modding Hori Real Arcade Pro sticks for use with PS2/PS3/360.

dfyb

Banned
MarkMan said:
Some people have done dual PCB sticks... the more popular one being a VSHG modded for use on PS3 and 360.

Someone on Yahoo auctions Japan is also modding Hori Real Arcade Pro sticks for use with PS2/PS3/360.
oh dual PCB - basically 2 controllers in one body. seems like more work than it's worth.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
With the lack of any good converters for Xbox 360 dual PCB modding was the only way to go.

:(

CPS2

Sanjay said:
Great news for people with Sega VSHG and confirmation that the tekken 5 issues is not an issue with the stick but the game it self.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=11491474&postcount=175

I still have problems with that stick. In SFA2 it's activating custom combos, in MvC it's push blocking, and in Guilty Gear it's Roman Cancelling. It works maybe 1/10 times, but when I use an HRAP1 or HRAP2 it works every single time. I don't think anyone should get the VSHG over the HRAP3, unless they know for sure they aren't playing anything that uses 3 buttons at the same time.

akuma001

UC1 said:
I still have problems with that stick. In SFA2 it's activating custom combos, in MvC it's push blocking, and in Guilty Gear it's Roman Cancelling. It works maybe 1/10 times, but when I use an HRAP1 or HRAP2 it works every single time. I don't think anyone should get the VSHG over the HRAP3, unless they know for sure they aren't playing anything that uses 3 buttons at the same time.

after reading your statement, i decided to try out gg:ac and alpha anthology alpha 2 training and arcade modes. with accent core i had no problems doing roman cancel with any move and fake roman cancels with sol's gun flame. with alpha anthology i used zangief and had zero problems doing lariat in p or k, level 3 supers, or activating custom combo. everything except the fake roman cancels were done at least 30 times in a row because i suck at fake roman cancels.

i don't own mvc on ps so i couldn't test.

other random games i tried

soulcalibur 3 : soulcharge or from stance A+B+K moves like false purification from mitsurugi no problems.

virtua fighter 4 evo: tested with wolf doing reject wall p+k+g options and low throws, no problems

arcana heart: tested by doing arcana force, weak+medium+strong. had no problems

streetfighter ex3: tested by doing meteor combos with random characters and lariats with zangief. had no problems

capcom fighting evolution: ukemi with alpha characters using PPP and zangief lariat with PPP /KKK no problems

bloody roar 3: hyper beast drive guard+beast+punch no problems (this one was a bitch to test since there is no gauge refill in training mode and once you do hbd you lose your gauge the rest of the round)

capcom classics collection sf2t: zangief lariat no problems in p or k

sf anniversary collection hyper fighting; zangief lariat no problems in any version

dead or alive 2 hardcore: tagging f+p+k no problems

soulcalibur 2: a+b+k soulcharge no problems

vf5: never had any problems and this is the one game i play most and i use p+k+g alot with el blaze rocket discharge, quick recovers, tornado spin, and low throws

tekken 5dr i still had inconsistency doing brian's taunt cancels but with regular ps2 tekken 5 i have no problems

this was all tested on a u.s. 60gb launch ps3 and "M" engraved unmodified vshg bought earlier this year from playasia and all played through composite cable to an sdtv. each move was done at least 30 times in a row in training mode for consistency and tested in arcade mode with cpu set at max diffficulty to see if i can land this stuff in game on moving opponents.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
I'm assuming UC1 was playing those games via PC/emulator.

Because I remember hearing there are issues with the VSHG and certain emu programs.

No_Style

MarkMan said:
Everyone looking for a good PS2 > PS3 USB converter for your arcade sticks....

This is back in stock...

(read my review if you haven't done so already btw)

http://sdtekken.com/tech-area/converters/real-ps2ps3-converter/real-ps2ps3-converter-review/

Sounds like a great converter. Do you know if it will work well with DDR pads? (ie: double arrows, holding arrows etc...) I have two converters and both them exhibit a problem with holding the left arrow for more than 6 seconds -- it just suddenly drops.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Just wondering, do you have a Logic 3 or ASiD converter?

Also I have not yet tested dance pads, we specifically reviewed the latest one for fighting games only. But like the TAC converter for Guitar Hero/Rock Band we can give it a test for music games as well. Hopefully I can get some concrete info to you later this week. I'm really busy with work projects ;X

No_Style

MarkMan said:
Just wondering, do you have a Logic 3 or ASiD converter?

Also I have not yet tested dance pads, we specifically reviewed the latest one for fighting games only. But like the TAC converter for Guitar Hero/Rock Band we can give it a test for music games as well. Hopefully I can get some concrete info to you later this week. I'm really busy with work projects ;X

It's an ASiD and an i-Con converter. I wanted to get a Pelican, but it was too costly to ship up to Canada. I took the gamble with both of them and they're both less than ideal for DDR or any game which requires holding left. :lol

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
I knew it was one of either Logic 3 or ASiD! Those work really well it's just that stupid signal drop when holding left ;(

CPS2

MarkMan said:
I'm assuming UC1 was playing those games via PC/emulator.

Because I remember hearing there are issues with the VSHG and certain emu programs.

Yeah I mainly play on GGPO and also have the PC version of GGXX#.

Just bought the DOA4 Hori for 360 and I'm rapt. Fantastic accessory. Picked it up for $70AU from JB Hifi.

But I really wish I could find the official Dreamcast Arcade stick. If anyone knows somewhere I can get one for a reasonable price, I'd be very appreciative.

Caj814

dscf0156yz7.jpg

My custom 360 stick that just came in from koi at shoryuken.com.It took awhile to come in since he had classes to deal with but it was worth the wait.

The stick is a Sanwa JLW with a circular gate,the buttons are also Sanwa and the PCB inside is from an official wired 360 controller without the headset port since I'm usually very quiet during fighters.(outside of frustration :lol) I only got to play test it for an hour but I can say it feels really accurate so far.:D

Also another thanks to koi for how well the stick came out.I'm not completely sure if he is currently taking orders on his shoryuken.com trading outlet thread but I would pm him just to be sure and I highly recommend him for anyone interested in a custom ordered stick.

Edit:You need to sign up to the forums to view this thread
http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=116690

shas'la

Caj814 said:
dscf0156yz7.jpg

My custom 360 stick that just came in from koi at shoryuken.com.It took awhile to come in since he had classes to deal with but it was worth the wait.

The stick is a Sanwa JLW with a circular gate,the buttons are also Sanwa and the PCB inside is from an official wired 360 controller without the headset port since I'm usually very quiet during fighters.(outside of frustration :lol) I only got to play test it for an hour but I can say it feels really accurate so far.:D

Also another thanks to koi for how well the stick came out.I'm not completely sure if he is currently taking orders on his shoryuken.com trading outlet thread but I would pm him just to be sure and I highly recommend him for anyone interested in a custom ordered stick.

Edit:You need to sign up to the forums to view this thread
http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=116690

So thats a 360 stick?! How much inc. shipping did that cost!

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
NCSX just put up preorders for the HRAP EX:

«©NCSX»Hori recently opened preorders for the exclusive Real Arcade Pro EX joystick which will only be sold on Horistore.com. We're going to get them for ourselves and for anyone who might want one too.

There is a downside however. We have to pay retail for them. We also have to pay tax and shipping costs within Japan. Then we have to pay the piper to ship the dimension weight + heavyjoysticks all the way from Japan to New York City. Are you cringing at the cost of procurement yet? We are. But it has to be done. We must have our Hori RAP EX. Preorders are welcome to ship on or around July 10, 2008 at US$218.90 each.

"man I thought the price for the HRAP3 was expensive, but the EX is expensive. I hope play-asia has a lower price."

Even if play-asia sold them at a lower price, the cost of shipping would bring it up to the same or more.

Caj814

For the prices on those sticks it seems like it would be better to just find a local builder/modder which will definitely run under $200 most of the time(including shipping)

Keep in mind the HRAP EX prices are what they are because the cost to import one is like 70$ a pop. The stick alone costs ~120$. If Hori ever felt like releasing it straight up state side, the price would drop drastically.

That custom 360 stick is *hot* though.

miyuru

Would anyone care to purchase the following off me?

oiakpv.jpg

2zp8lyh.jpg

It's for PS2, home-built with love, and all buttons and sticks American. Let me know!

BTW I live in Edmonton, Alberta (Canada...). I'm not trying to rip anyone off so just send me an offer. I'm expecting $150 CDN which is VERY fair for this setup.

EDIT: I'm thinking of selling it to whoever over eBay for security reasons. As well I've been on GAF since 2001, so I'm rather credible regardless.

Anyway if nobody wants it here I'll post it on eBay regardless.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
I realize now that...there's one glaring flaw/technical limitation w/ the 360 Hori EX2. It concerns the LT/RT buttons.

I notice while playing Marvel Vs. Capcom, hitting all 3 kick buttons is pointless (A, RT, LT). It'll only accept RT or LT, never both at the same time.

This is on the PC using the only drivers I could find that make the stick work. I'm hoping this is just a driver thing and can be remedied.

Is this limitation there w/ the console as well?

I ordered my new buttons yesterday. Should be here early next week!

CPS2

I just tested it using this guide and it seems fine. KKK will super jump, PPP will dash and push block, and there was no trouble wavedashing either (on a side note, I can't wave dash at all using the VSHG).

In the guide it tells you how to edit the inf file for the fighting stick ex2. You've gotta add an extra line...

edit: I usually do fatal claw with LK+MK but I tried it with MK+HK a few times, also seems fine.

GeoNeo

I disagree.
DaCocoBrova, use the guide UC1 linked to it will fix your problems.

And, UC1 I've seen for myself the direction + 3p or k bug with the VSHG. Too bad really since it could have gone down as one of / if not the only flawless mass produced arcade stick(s)

CPS2

I mainly use it for 3rd Strike so I'm happy for now. Eventually I'll have to change the pcb tho, might just put in a keyboard encoder or something...

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Thanks so much for that!

Damn... Hit a snag:

Step3.
After you've installed XBCD, you should edit the xbcd.inf file (e.a C:\Windows\inf) , this is necessary because we are going to let Windows use different drivers instead of what it is currently using.

I see no such file. :(

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
This thread makes me want an arcade stick so badly... I'm thinking a custom 360/PC compatible one would do the trick, and prices are about 150-200 a pop (which isn't terrible considering I could use it for 3rd Strike GGPO, XBLA Ikaruga and the upcoming Soul Caliber IV / Street Fighter IV :D )

I don't know how I'm ever going to decide on which art to use...

Question: anyone played Pac-Man CE with an arcade stick? How well does it work? It seems like once you reach a certain plateau with the analog stick it just because a little squirrely to control ...

jon bones said:
This thread makes me want an arcade stick so badly... I'm thinking a custom 360/PC compatible one would do the trick, and prices are about 150-200 a pop (which isn't terrible considering I could use it for 3rd Strike GGPO, XBLA Ikaruga and the upcoming Soul Caliber IV / Street Fighter IV :D )

I don't know how I'm ever going to decide on which art to use...

360 controllers are already PC compatible, although you might want to use the unofficial drivers (XBCD).

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
I have a request... does anyone know where I can find art to use for the arcade sticks? I'm not sure what I want just yet but looking through some possible choices would be nice.

Also, I had an idea to use the classic Street Fighter 2 arcade art (the grey stuff with yellow around the joystick) but I don't know where to find art like that...

viewtiful_dru said:
360 controllers are already PC compatible, although you might want to use the unofficial drivers (XBCD).

Many thanks, my friend. I will try this out with my standard wired 360 controller.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom