• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2 Reveal Info Summary Thread: Trailers, Videos, Details, Screens, More

I wonder what the old Faction system will get as far as new polish goes. It'd be pretty awful if it just kept being the same old "fill the XP bar up and get stuff" that it was before. There was already too much filling up bars in D1. Maybe we'll see Faction/Clan affiliation for events and whatnot.

border

damn, the 2 biggest safety nets in the game (ward of dawn and self-res) are gone. that will shake things up.

Ward of Dawn and Self-Rez had the highest potential to break or trivialize encounters. Especially when you consider that a couple Bubble Bros could chain supers to keep a bubble up indefinitely, and give the rest of the Fireteam an endless damage buff. Atheon can be solo'ed by Warlocks because death resets boss/enemy AI. It's no surprise that they would want to get rid of game-breaking supers.

Replacing Blade Dance with Pole Dance seems kind of redundant. I hope there's something about the pole super that really differentiates it and makes things interesting. If Elemental Weapons can drop a roaming super really quick, then a melee-based super is going to be especially useless.

Newboi

The big question I want to know right now is if weapons, armor, and equipment, will have separate balancing for single and multiplayer? I truly, truly, hope that Bungie will have separate balancing for weapons and armor between single and multi-player.

I'm actually surprised that they didn't address that is all. I know that was a huge gripe for many players. It was utterly annoying having a weapon that was very useful in single player, get nerfed hard due to how it functioned in multiplayer. I never understood the reasoning behind this.

To people who were super invested in getting the PC version, does a delay on it's release ruin the games experience for you in anyway? My roommate says that if they don't get to be part of the first release then it's not worth owning, and that the console version should be held back for the pc release, but I wanted to hear on people who were super excited on getting the pc version day one what their opinion on it is.

If it's like a two week delay? Nah. I'll wait.

If it's like a month plus? Yeah. I'll get the console version because I don't want to be doing content everyone else has mined to death already.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
The big question I want to know right now is if weapons, armor, and equipment, will have separate balancing for single and multiplayer? I truly, truly, hope that Bungie will have separate balancing for weapons and armor between single and multi-player.

I'm actually surprised that they didn't address that is all. I know that was a huge gripe for many players. It was utterly annoying having a weapon that was very useful in single player, get nerfed hard due to how it functioned in multiplayer. I never understood the reasoning behind this.
Nothing said but I apparently there's some conjecture around weapons in pvp being more powerful? Could be a health nerf in pvp or an AI buff in pve who knows yet.

Defuser

Titans in last place?

Fuck the Tower, you all deserve your imminent doom.

If I had a dollar for everytime I get killed by a Titan skating twilight garrison flying shotgunner I'll have enough money to retire for life. They are all one trick ponies and their skills in other class character are a cheap trick circus.

Gator86

Thanks for the write-up, Nirolak. I would love them to have more customization options for weapons and gear this time. I know they love the RNG inside RNG ad infinitum, but it would be cool to be able to tailor gear somewhat.

GhaleonEB

Thanks for the detailed OP - I'd missed a lot of those details, as I haven't had time to read but a couple previews. I'm most interested in what they are doing with the public spaces and events. The lost sectors and adventures sound great and point to rewarding exploration in a way that Destiny never really did.

Styles

Datto sold me on the game. Bring on September 8th!

And the PC version.

ZXLRI2G.gif

duhmetree

You could add Incendior as a new Cabal enemy as well to go along with the Gladiator and Dogs... they're similar to the Division cleaners.. the tanky ones...

Cabal have new weapon types and a different legion was shown as well. Green as opposed to Red. Psions now look like they have laser snipers.

duhmetree

Apparently, that's a piece of the Traveler... It's a shard that fell off from the Traveler during the collapse... in the EDZ next to the new social space, the Farm... Assuming that's how we get our powers back.

I wonder what the old Faction system will get as far as new polish goes. It'd be pretty awful if it just kept being the same old "fill the XP bar up and get stuff" that it was before. There was already too much filling up bars in D1. Maybe we'll see Faction/Clan affiliation for events and whatnot.

would be cool if there were side quest for them

Apparently, that's a piece of the Traveler... It's a shard that fell off from the Traveler during the collapse... in the EDZ next to the new social space, the Farm... Assuming that's how we get our powers back.

I was wondering how we get powers back...That's kind of cool. I can dig. Thanks for sharing yo.

exYle

TripleWRECK corrected this on his stream and said ANY elemental weapon is supereffective against roaming supers. It doesn't have to match :D

This bugs me. There's no strategy to it at all. Bungie provided a metric shit ton more visual UI information in the Crucible for a reason. Not only do you know what subclasses you're fighting, you know when their supers are cast and by whom. Why have that information if the only counterplay is to press triangle?

When an ultimate ability is activated in Overwatch, you are given an audio cue that tells you which ultimate it is, which team it belongs to, and a rough idea where it's coming from. That's it - from there you have to rely on your skill and game knowledge to counter the ult.

If energy weapon effectiveness required elemental matching, that could make Crucible much more tense and strategic. You get the information, so use it - switch to an appropriate secondary when a super your team is worried about shows up as available. This itself provides counter-counter play and mind games; say two solar supers are up on your team, so you expect the other team to switch to solar secondaries. Then, your Titan gets his FoH and goes ham immediately on an unprepared team.

Besides, it's not like elemental mismatch is detrimental in Destiny - it just does the same damage as kinetic weapons. Nothing says you can't shoot down a super Guardian with regular bullets.

[*]The Hunter's global ability is dodge. They can either dodge to reload their weapon, or dodge near enemies to gain melee damage. Very team oriented, as always.
[*]The Warlock has a new subclass called Dawnblade. Your new ultimate causes you to gains fiery wings and a fiery sword that fires very powerful projectiles at enemies. This was the only new subclass shown at the event, as Warlocks are factually the most important and best class, and thus they wanted to focus on them. It replaces the Sunsinger class.

dr-mccoy-and-captain-kirk-approve.gif

jviggy43

Man, I really hope that the raid is going to be in The Tower, as that imgur page speculates.

I'd love to have a raid that feels really closely tied to the campaign story, and not some kind of weird afterthought. "You destroyed the Black Garden and saved the universe......now go to this other place that is only tangentially related."
"You killed Crota and saved the universe.......now go kill Crota again."

This would be awesome and I would love this. Bungie please

FyreWulff

This bugs me. There's no strategy to it at all. Bungie provided a metric shit ton more visual UI information in the Crucible for a reason. Not only do you know what subclasses you're fighting, you know when their supers are cast and by whom. Why have that information if the only counterplay is to press triangle?

It's pretty obvious to me that energy weapons will be balanced around them being elemental and stronger against supers, without the sandbox forcing anti-super weapons to be either sniper rifles or shotguns. Gonna assume that the trade off to switching to your energy weapon when you hear a super go off would be that you now have a smaller clip, etc.

I thought AngryJoe had an interesting video analysis of the trailer.

https://youtu.be/qZUzUwVtc3A

He's really happy with the fact that we're actually getting a story worth giving a crap about. He liked that part where it shows the cutscene with the humans feeling all defeated and what not. It's the little things.

He also hopes for dogfights since the trailer shows it quite a bit. But I doubt we will get that. They would have screamed it off the rooftops if so.

By the way, am I the only one wanting a third person camera as well during gameplay? Look at the awesome armor and weaponry on their backs. Bring a optional third person camera!

Alo0oy

Banned
I hope the exotic quest design is better, I gave up on the exotic sword quest because it was the definition of anti-fun.

I don't mind running 50 strikes over and over, strikes are fun, but running around collecting shit is boring.

SMOK3Y

Generous Member
I hope the exotic quest design is better, I gave up on the exotic sword quest because it was the definition of anti-fun.

I don't mind running 50 strikes over and over, strikes are fun, but running around collecting shit is boring.
Ya tbh i hate it when they have PVP steps in quests as im a PVE player not PVP

Alo0oy

Banned
Ya tbh i hate it when they have PVP steps in quests as im a PVE player not PVP

I spent 4-5 matches getting kills with the no-ammo sword, I was a severe detriment to my team with 0.1 K/D ratio. A lot of people do that, and it's not healthy for the PvP environment when quests encourage that behavior.

To people who were super invested in getting the PC version, does a delay on it's release ruin the games experience for you in anyway? My roommate says that if they don't get to be part of the first release then it's not worth owning, and that the console version should be held back for the pc release, but I wanted to hear on people who were super excited on getting the pc version day one what their opinion on it is.

The delay won't bother me at all, unless we're literally talking a 2018 release here. It will come down to how many of my PS4 friends are getting on board with D2 (we all left D1 fairly early, but I was the last to leave), and how much the visuals are being pushed on PC. Looking at the screenshots for example I don't see any ambient occlusion at all (grass and other foliage looks so damn flat), so if Nvidia are going to do their thing and start showcasing PC exclusive effects like HBAO+ then I'm happy waiting a month for that. Those are effects that will benefit the game for years. So it'll come down to balancing friends list with superior visuals, both of which are unknowns right now.

Though all of this is dependent on Bungie promising every expansion pack, even the minor ones, will offer at least one new explorable location each, so 3+ every year. I left D1 because even after two expansions I was still running around the same damn PVE locations, and all they were due to add in the near future was some kind of giant freighter to run around too, with a damn hefty price tag. They still haven't showcased how Destiny 2 will address solo PVE players like myself, only made vague comments, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for E3.

The delay won't bother me at all, unless we're literally talking a 2018 release here. It will come down to how many of my PS4 friends are getting on board with D2 (we all left D1 fairly early, but I was the last to leave), and how much the visuals are being pushed on PC. Looking at the screenshots for example I don't see any ambient occlusion at all (grass and other foliage looks so damn flat), so if Nvidia are going to do their thing and start showcasing PC exclusive effects like HBAO+ then I'm happy waiting a month for that. Those are effects that will benefit the game for years. So it'll come down to balancing friends list with superior visuals, both of which are unknowns right now.

Though all of this is dependent on Bungie promising every expansion pack, even the minor ones, will offer at least one new explorable location each, so 3+ every year. I left D1 because even after two expansions I was still running around the same damn PVE locations, and all they were due to add in the near future was some kind of giant freighter to run around too, with a damn hefty price tag. They still haven't showcased how Destiny 2 will address solo PVE players like myself, only made vague comments, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for E3.
If you're interested in pve stuff this is a good interview to read.

Hopefully will see all of it in action like you said at E3/beta.

This PC delay is really frustrating to me. I'm not upset consoles are 30fps but after that announcement PC became my preferred choice. But after playing 1k+ hours of Destiny 1, always being there day 1 experiencing the content fresh with everyone else it's going to be impossible to wait the delayed PC release. I'm going to have to start on PS4, play the content then when PC comes out switch over.

Would just be so much nicer to start on PC at the same time as the consoles.

If you're interested in pve stuff this is a good interview to read.

Hopefully will see all of it in action like you said at E3/beta.

Thanks! It's a good read, but it doesn't assuage my biggest concerns yet. One of which is that the worlds are still far too small. They said on stage that the European Dead Zone is the biggest area they've ever made, and twice as big as Destiny 1's biggest zone. My concern then was... doubling something tiny still isn't impressive. And if this comment from the article you linked is anything to go by it's not like the EDZ is the normal size for Destiny 2 zones from now but a one-off:

European Dead Zone is really good. It has more to do. It's the biggest by far.

And my second big concern is something that... I have no idea how they'll convince me to not be worried about. It's that Destiny 1 had four planets at launch, and even today it's still only four planets, but with one of them re-skinned? (I stopped just before TTK) and an explorable ship. So if they're once again committing to small zones that you can learn by the back of your hand in a single sitting, with only one of them noticeably larger than before, AND there's only four zones at launch again, then I absolutely need them to promise that this time around new zones and planets will be added with every single expansion, even the small ones. These are tiny zones by MMO standards. It should not be this difficult. And with all this talk about a new engine and a whole new game being necessary to speed up content creation, they have no excuse not to make this happen.

Sadly even their website states that Destiny 2 expansions will add "new story missions, strikes, raids, and PVP content", with absolutely no mention of new exploration content. So I'm terrified they're about to repeat the same mistake, and am hoping they've just done a bad job of conveying their commitment to solo PVE content so far and will be addressing that soon.

Thanks! It's a good read, but it doesn't assuage my biggest concerns yet. One of which is that the worlds are still far too small. They said on stage that the European Dead Zone is the biggest area they've ever made, and twice as big as Destiny 1's biggest zone. My concern then was... doubling something tiny still isn't impressive. And if this comment from the article you linked is anything to go by it's not like the EDZ is the normal size for Destiny 2 zones from now but a one-off:

And my second big concern is something that... I have no idea how they'll convince me to not be worried about. It's that Destiny 1 had four planets at launch, and even today it's still only four planets, but with one of them re-skinned? (I stopped just before TTK) and an explorable ship. So if they're once again committing to small zones that you can learn by the back of your hand in a single sitting, with only one of them noticeably larger than before, AND there's only four zones at launch again, then I absolutely need them to promise that this time around new zones and planets will be added with every single expansion, even the small ones. These are tiny zones by MMO standards. It should not be this difficult. And with all this talk about a new engine and a whole new game being necessary to speed up content creation, they have no excuse not to make this happen.

Sadly even their website states that Destiny 2 expansions will add "new story missions, strikes, raids, and PVP content", with absolutely no mention of new exploration content. So I'm terrified they're about to repeat the same mistake, and am hoping they've just done a bad job of conveying their commitment to solo PVE content so far and will be addressing that soon.
What do you mean re-skinned? The European dead zone while we haven't seen all of it looks totally different then Russia. Not to rag, but Earth is humanities home people here need to get over the fact that destiny will partly take place on Earth at times. It's just the way it's gonna be.

Hopefully there will be plenty of npcs and such littering the landscape with things for to do. Hidden place to find etc. I'm more worried that some of the new things they're adding will turn out to be one and dones like adventures and treasure maps.

In terms of adding places in dlc the director screen here does have 3 empty circles. Which I'm assuming either Bungie is one hiding a player space from us(don't get your hopes up) or two we will get new areas to explore in the dlcs coming up.

What do you mean re-skinned? The European dead zone while we haven't seen all of it looks totally different then Russia. Not to rag, but Earth is humanities home people here need to get over the fact that destiny will partly take place on Earth at times. It's just the way it's gonna be.

Hopefully there will be plenty of npcs and such littering the landscape with things for to do. Hidden place to find etc. I'm more worried that some of the new things they're adding will turn out to be one and dones like adventures and treasure maps.

In terms of adding places in dlc the director screen here does have 3 empty circles. Which I'm assuming either Bungie is one hiding a player space from us(don't get your hopes up) or two we will get new areas to explore in the dlcs coming up.

I mean from my (VERY limited) knowledge of Rise of Iron the new exploration zone was just a reskin of the Cosmodrome. But I could be completely wrong about that. EDZ looks great for what it is, "reskin" comment wasn't aimed there at all, but we all know that it was planned for Destiny 1 as a larger zone and got cut.

I'll still be absolutely fine with zones that feel like Destiny 1's in size, so long as there's a lot to do there (which sounds like there will be) AND so long as they commit to adding multiple new zones every year, which is the part I'm struggling with right now and very much hoping they address at E3.

atzetango

Neo Member
they can't release the pc version after the raid, and they won't release the raid too long after the console release. i can't imagine pc players being happy playing the raid a couple of months later. but then again thats the perfect way to let people double dip.

I mean from my (VERY limited) knowledge of Rise of Iron the new exploration zone was just a reskin of the Cosmodrome. But I could be completely wrong about that. EDZ looks great for what it is, "reskin" comment wasn't aimed there at all, but we all know that it was planned for Destiny 1 as a larger zone and got cut.

I'll still be absolutely fine with zones that feel like Destiny 1's in size, so long as there's a lot to do there (which sounds like there will be) AND so long as they commit to adding multiple new zones every year, which is the part I'm struggling with right now and very much hoping they address at E3.

Oh yeah. The zone in RoI was basically reskin because I guess you could say it still took place in the cosmodrone(that's the Fallen devils home), but that's more of an excuse then anything. Bungie didn't really have any people working on RoI with everyone on D2 compared to TTK. So reusing assets was easier for the live team.

Same boat as you Bungie better have things to do in the patrol spaces. Ugg E3 so far away😩.

Btw the skull on this new death screen is nightmare fuel.
Lv4IdWj

nOoblet16

Man, I really hope that the raid is going to be in The Tower, as that imgur page speculates.

I'd love to have a raid that feels really closely tied to the campaign story, and not some kind of weird afterthought. "You destroyed the Black Garden and saved the universe......now go to this other place that is only tangentially related."
"You killed Crota and saved the universe.......now go kill Crota again."
WoTM was the same, you finished the story there was SIVA inside with old guardians and now you've fixed things except you haven't and now you have to go to the core of SIVA and but you fight a general, then a machine which is just there because whatever, then you get to this room and what's this, some random Fallen dude who we never hear about from anyone is now a spider and he is the leader of the house.

Lore wise King's Fall was the most tied to story, you kill Oryx's top lieutenant​s then go to this ascended dimension inside the Dreadnaught and kill his shade. But it's obviously not the end, so you go the the ascended dimension again where you have all these shit and have to encounter his other lieutenant, then a pet experiment, the daughters and then Oryx.

Did Bungie mention if this was running on a new engine... or if they fixed their pipeline to a point where they can make content out faster?

Kyoufu

Did Bungie mention if this was running on a new engine... or if they fixed their pipeline to a point where they can make content out faster?

They mentioned they made modifications to their engine, allowing for PBR and larger areas, so that probably includes the tools being improved as well. The things they're adding into the much larger areas in the game would be a nightmare to edit after launch if they still had their old, inefficient pipeline in place.

What about changes in design Philosophy - has anything been mentioned on that front? I don't want to shit up this thread, but I'd be a lot more interested in this game if Bungie properly explained their vision for Destiny 2, and fundamental changes first, rather than just talking meta changes.

Skimming a few vids and articles, this seems to just be a polished version of the first's formula, rather than adding new hooks and systems (which is okay, but not excitable - I'm sure there will be more than enough content to justify price).

Top Bottom