• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Have you ever given up on a game completely...at the final boss?

Avaran

Shadowman, the original. Played it on PC, and the final boss is one of those where you have to hurt him for a while, and then he is only vulnerable for a special shot for a second or so before all health regenerates. That last room seemed to tax my computer too much, so the framerate suffered greatly and I could never time the final hit correctly. Gave up after 40 tries or so...

Hah, OP, that would be my example too! Mech Assault 2 final boss was a ridiculous difficulty spike back in the day. Hoping it comes to OGX BC so I can take another stab at it some day.

sjay1994

Sonic Unleashed

I couldn't bet the final boss since the final QTE required me to mash square 60 times in like 5-6 seconds

Couldn't do it.

bomblord1

Banned
Xenoblade Chronicles. I had somehow managed to force my way through the game up to that point having done exactly 0 side quests.

I was so hopelessly under leveled that I eventually gave up even after grinding up a few levels.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Sonic Unleashed

I couldn't bet the final boss since the final QTE required me to mash square 60 times in like 5-6 seconds

Couldn't do it.

You aren't the only one, my little brother couldn't do it either and I had to do it for him.

It was such a stupid boss fight.

KHlover

Banned
Metal Gear Rising on Hard, with zero health packs (they automatically refill all of your health when you "die"). I didn't expect such violent hits.

Thought I'd change difficulty to easy, turns out not only could you not change on the fly, but completing missions only allows you to Mission Select them in the same difficulty, so I had to restart it all on Easy.

Fuck that, Platinum.

Months later I opened the ingame upgrade shop to see if anything could be done. By purchasing a medic suit, I got 10 health packs.

I powered through each boss phase with checkpoints and eventually beat him, but now that I remember playing this game my memories stop at that initial rage quit. I have no memories, let alone fond ones, of beating this game.

But I wanted to like it so much :((((
I went into that battle with 0 rations as well. You can cut apart those rocks Armstrong throws for rations, but since I suck at Zandatsu I just kept running past the rocks and eventually beat Armstrong without getting hit.

DrKelpo

Banned
I actually played until the final boss from Twilight Princess but never even tried to beat him. Just saved there and never came back.

don't hate me

Link_enfant

I Wanna Be The Boshy. Reached Solgryn after many hours, loved the game, but I gave up after many attempts. An I realize my save is now gone :(

Guevara

Not the final boss, but Quadraxis in Metroid Prime 2 stopped me for literally years.

I just put the game away for probably 3 years, but finally beat it and the game.

Heropon Weegee

Neo Member
Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time for me, though it wasn't quite the final boss. Elder Princess Shroob is just a giant pain the butt. She has more HP than any other boss in the game in each form (both forms have 3000+ HP, and around 6500 HP combined; her younger sister has 3000 also). She also gets healing abilities so the fight takes forever. I actually ran out of Bros Items and said "nope, screw this, I'm done".
Is it bad that i actually enjoyed fighting these final bosses back to back?

BiggNife

You aren't the only one, my little brother couldn't do it either and I had to do it for him.

It was such a stupid boss fight.

Yup. I brute-forced my way through it but man it sucked.

I'm not surprised seeing people here mention Sonic Generations' final boss, which was definitely terrible, but Sonic Unleashed's final boss might be worse.

I remember having real trouble with that and the last nightmare fight on the PS2. I cruised past both of them easily on the remaster so I assumed they altered the difficulty

Kind of had the same thing going. I just gave up on the final boss again because I didn't care and the initial phase is really lame.

Regarding the last Nightmare fight, I had chalked that up to having been beaten into submission to become a much better player by Dark Souls & Co. They better not have lowered the difficulty, it would crush my ego at this point seeing how much I dominated the game in the remaster haha.

Not the final boss, but Quadraxis in Metroid Prime 2 stopped me for literally years.

I just put the game away for probably 3 years, but finally beat it and the game.

This thing, I hate it so much. I eventually beat it but I must've put the game down for a good 2 months or more as well.

kai3345

Banned
I did this with the original kingdom hearts as a kid. Couldn't fucking beat him and so after about the 30th try I just gave up.

About 10 years later I had hooked my PS2 back up and on a whim decided to load up my old KH save file and I beat it on the first try.

balohna

A friend of mine gave up on Metroid Prime at Metroid Prime. I think she said when she was young it scared her.

The human-like face still creeps me out a little.

tumblr_inline_mlwfszqKKS1qz4rgp.jpg

JCHandsom

Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story

Love that game, but I just can't outmash Dark Bowser when it comes to sucking in Fawful to start the Bros. phase. I got to the point where I was able to do everything else almost perfectly, but I can't button mash worth a damn.

Lots of times. Final fantasy 7 alone I have done it at least 4 times. I don't like games ending, so I often avoid finishing them, which leads to an insane backlog.

Ballos.png

Fuck this.

If you have enough health, take a -2 hit from the red spikes rising from the ground. In your invincibility state, stand inside and ontop of Ballos left or right lower eye socket ridge. Spam the rockets (preferably the red one from Balrog) when his eye lid opens and game set.

I actually played until the final boss from Twilight Princess but never even tried to beat him. Just saved there and never came back.

don't hate me

Use the fishing rod and Ganondorf will look at the hook as you swing it around.

Canucked

Dead Rising. Overrated game was mildly fun to get to the end but I game the final boss one shot and never looked at the series again. Immediately put in another game.

Zebei

Mario and Luigi superstar saga

I didnt know you could move lakitu when you level up, so my only decent stat was HP. With no defense or attack, the fight was torture. Plus, i didnt even have the advances bros attacks because i never usee them.

khaaan

I came close to giving up on Vanquish. If the game didn't let you bump down the difficulty I would have 100% dropped the game. I brought in some horrible weapons to that fight too.

The other one is Bravely Default. (Mild boss structure spoilers ahead) This one might not count because I didn't actually get to the true final boss. To get the true ending you have to repeat a chain of events four times, at the end you face a boss, get one final dungeon and face then final boss. I never actually made it to the dungeon because I was burnt out from the process to get there. I beat the first boss I was referring to though but it was complete hell. Apparently I was underleveled but the problem is that the game also locks you in an area so I couldn't even grind out different abilities for a different approach. The thing that made me rage quite was that I checked a walkthrough to see what I was actually going to be up against and it was multiple forms with ridiculous amounts of HP on each. aint nobody got time for that.

Mario and Luigi superstar saga

I didnt know you could move lakitu when you level up, so my only decent stat was HP. With no defense or attack, the fight was torture. Plus, i didnt even have the advances bros attacks because i never usee them.

bro how did you even get that far

Jaymageck

I used to do this all the time.

Here are some games I stopped at the final boss and never finished:

- Chrono Trigger
- Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door
- Final Fantasy IV

I know there are more. I'll update if I remember.

Bustanen

Demons Souls. Couldn't get past the blue dragon before the final boss because you need arrows to shoot the dragon and I had accidentally attacked the vendor who sells them.

Lunar Silver Star Story. Was too young to know to rotate saves. Didn't have the item stores to be able to beat the final boss and once you go to the final dungeon you can't leave it.

ToonLink

Star Fox Zero. I was already not having fun, but the controls really got to me at that point. I figured if I was genuinely finding the experience unenjoyable, I should just stop. First time I hard quit a game. Not 'Oh I'll get to it one day', but 'Yeah I'm never playing this again'.

Luke_Wal

Far Cry Primal.

Tried like 20 times, just couldn't get it. No idea why. I feel like this happened with some other game recently, too, but I'll have to look through what I've played recently.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Shinobi ps2, hard mode final boss. Just couldn't do it.

This for me, but Very Hard mode. Not for a lack of trying though, spent so many days and hours making endless attempts, but the swarm of off-screen hits just overwhelms. Definitely one of the most difficult endbosses in gaming.

Malreyn

Donkey Kong Country 2....I was losing my patience at King K Rool boss fight...I just shut the game off after an hour struggling to stick with the pattern...I was getting worse and worse at it as I was getting more frustrated. I never picked it up again because I got into other games at the time, always convincing myself I could beat it some other time...but number 3 came out a year later or so and I forgot about it.

Beefwheat

Chrono Cross for me! First playthrough, shortly after the game came out, I made it to the bit before TimeDevourer where you fight bosses on the left or right. Couldn't do either one.

2nd playthrough, years later, I'm a little older and wiser and finished those guys but ultimately couldn't do the final boss.

Still a little burnt about the experience, but there's no way I'm going to go through that whole thing again.

boyshine

Killzone 2. I don’t even remember what was hard about it anymore, but it’s the only game where I gave up on what I think is the final boss.

I stopped playing MGS 5 at like... mission 43 I think? I just wasn't enjoying the game anymore and reading what happens after that mission (pretty grindy and repetitive) just made me lose complete interest.

It happens a lot more on physical games I buy for console, since the decision is "Do I trade this game in NOW and play something else or keep trying?" Usually though its more about "do I wanna keep playing to platinum the game or do I stop now after one playthrough?"

Fortunately this month MGS 5 is part of the PS+ lineup, I installed it and it loaded up my 2 or 3 year old save no problem, so I can continue on!

I was 11 when Wind Waker first released and I loved everything about the game. I spent countless hours exploring the world, but Puppet Ganon just kept messing me up. I think I had a really hard time aiming my bow and arrow with the Gamecube controller and eventually just gave up entirely.

After giving up on the fight, 11 year-old me was trying to think "logically" and remembered that the pirates had taken your sister back to our home island. I sailed there straight away hoping to at least take solace in the fact that she got home.

She wasn't there...

Instead of immediately realizing that the end of her voyage was tied to me beating the game, I instead spent hours searching the sea for the pirate's ship. I was absolutely convinced that I could intercept the pirates on their way to Outset Island and at least see my sister again.

I wasted a lot of damn time trying to feel some sense of accomplishment without beating the game. Between then and now I've re-played the game at least a dozen times, but never "beat" the final encounter with Ganon until Wind Waker HD released...

Skulldead

Arc the lad 2

Sorry but make a fight last 3 hour of :

Spell, attack, attack, Spell... with romancing stone so infinite MP. Decide to check the ending on the intenet.

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
At the end of The Phantom Hourglass, you have to draw these hourglasses on the touch screen, and despite many playthroughs and countless final boss attempts, I've never had the game recognize a single hourglass.

BouncyFrag

I think I was near the ending boss when I quit Dark Souls 3. I loved the first DS but with each sucessive Soulsborne game, I just got tired of the game and it’s pacing.

Ivellios

Metroid Prime 1, i died to the final boss and for some reason i never came back to try again.

I regret this since it is one of my favorite games.

ThaPhantom

When I got to the end of Disgaea D2 I remember the difficulty and level of the final boss spiking hard and I had burnt myself out playing that game nonstop so I couldnt bring myself to finish it.

Top Bottom