• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Direct Nintendo Games 2013.1.23 - Jan. 23rd, 9 AM EST, 2 PM GMT, 11 PM JP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah yes, cheers for the reminder. I still don't associate this with a Nintendo Direct though, as that event served a very specific purpose. Similar to the Pokemon Direct actually, which aimed to provide a Pokemon announcement.

What I'm trying to say is I'm cynical of there being actually decent new game announcements.

okay no new games but would it not be cool to get a real Bayo2 Trailer this time and not some lick her boots teaser?

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Nintendo Directs do have a pattern of unveiling one new first-party game in most episodes. Maybe something new from EAD Tokyo!

Anth0ny

Is it just the internet effect or are you really bitter? I'm not saying that in the inflammatory, accusatory sense, you just come across very bitter about nintendo lately

not bitter.

just not blindly excited. no point. nintendo does this every time.

and if they do announce real new games, awesome. i'm just not getting my hopes up.

Kacho

Ah yes, cheers for the reminder. I still don't associate this with a Nintendo Direct though, as that event served a very specific purpose. Similar to the Pokemon Direct actually, which aimed to provide a Pokemon announcement.

What I'm trying to say is I'm cynical of there being actually decent new game announcements.

If they announce a release date for Wonderful 101 will you please be happy? :(

I'm only kidding.

guek

Banned
Given E3 and other ND's I'd just say he's being realistic. As much as we'd love some awesome game and software announcements it's just better to keep our expectations in line with what's come before..

Oh, I know. I'm commenting more on his posting history rather than that specific post.

Lots of people just seem jaded now though. Not that I think that's completely unwarranted at this point.

Porcile

Nintendo's definition of new games is "games that haven't been released yet."

Tomorrow will proceed as follows:

Resident Evil Revelaitons video + date
Aliens: Colonial Marines video + date
Rayman Legends video + date
LEGO City: Undercover video
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate video + date
Pikmin 3 video + q2 2013
Bayonetta 2 video
The Wonderful 101 video + q2 2013
Game & Wario video + date

and finally, saving the best for last and therefore taking up the most time...

Wii Fit U video and date!

end nintendo direct

I'd like to see more of The Wonderful 101 and Bayonetta 2. Would be an ok showing for me if they featured those two in detail. W101 has really gone off the radar.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I'm not necessarily expecting megatons, but I think a mid tier announcement or two is extremely possible. If you assume Nintendo is going to have at least something coming from June- September-ish, they have to announce those projects before E3.

The B2 and MH3G announcements actually broke via the JP Direct before they were mentioned at the US press conference. Going by how they handled Wii U launch announcements in Japan and EU, they seem to have mostly abandoned holding press conferences outside E3.

It's best to keep hype at reasonable levels, particularly given that E3 is still nearly five months away, but I don't think the use of ND as a platform here says that much.

tsab

Nintendo Direct
-Iwata announces free spotpass update for Animal Crossing New Leaf

"Free Iwata wall decorations. Now you can decorate your walls with the President in Animal Crossing New Leaf.

This promotion will run for 2 months so hurry and buy AC:NL."

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
ioao1v11fvr9dveui4.gif

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
okay no new games but would it not be cool to get a real Bayo2 Trailer this time and not some lick her boots teaser?

If they announce a release date for Wonderful 101 will you please be happy? :(

I'm only kidding.

Getting either a Bayonetta 2 trailer or The Wonderful 101 date/trailer would be all I want. Honestly. Just one of those things would make me happy.

The B2 and MH3G announcements actually broke via the JP Direct before they were mentioned at the US press conference. Going by how they handled Wii U launch announcements in Japan and EU, they seem to have mostly abandoned holding press conferences outside E3.

It's best to keep hype at reasonable levels, particularly given that E3 is still nearly five months away, but I don't think the use of ND as a platform here says that much.

I stand corrected.

I'm not necessarily expecting megatons, but I think a mid tier announcement or two is extremely possible. If you assume Nintendo is going to have at least something coming from June- September-ish, they have to announce those projects before E3.

Well, if they don't at least have that it really just further confirms the worst possible scenario in which none of Nintendos team does well in handling that new HD technology...
Investor meeting is also coming up, so they have to respond to the underwhelming sales by announcing some stuff. The lineup is so bad, even some kind of eshop announcement would almost be exciting. The 3DS usually gets one of those in Direct shows, while the Wii U eshop didn't get a game since first week after launch or so. Terrible.

VICI0US

Bayonetta 2 was not revealed at a Nintendo Direct and I don't know why people cite it as an incident of a big Nintendo Direct surprise. It was announced at a Wii U pre-launch press event. Just because it was streamed online does not put it up to the same standard as a Nintendo Direct. There's a big difference between a monthly pre-recorded e-stream, and a live stream event with a room full of invited press.

and on the other hand, pokemon xy, NSMB2, 3DS XL, crashmo, several other downloadable titles have first been revealed through nintendo directs.

the fact that they specify new games will be revealed unlike past wii-u related directs leads me to believe.. new games will be revealed

plus, at this point they have to know hosting another new ND only to show footage of the same 4-5 already announced games would do more harm than good.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Somebody said this is their usual scheduled Nintendo Direct, but that is incorrect. Directs happen during December and February (bimonthly), not January.

Nah, it'll be Skies of Arcadia 2 development funded by Nintendo. Another obscure game they decided to fund which will drives fans insane.

Dude. Don't joke about stuff like this.

and on the other hand, pokemon xy, NSMB2, 3DS XL, crashmo, several other downloadable titles have first been revealed through nintendo directs.

the fact that they specify new games will be revealed unlike past wii-u related directs leads me to believe.. new games will be revealed

plus, at this point they have to know hosting another new ND only to show footage of the same 4-5 already announced games would do more harm than good.

NSMB2 was announced in an investor meeting. Until now, Pokemon has been the only real major title announced in a Direct. But Pokemon is also never announced at expos or anything afair.
It's usually minor stuff like downloadable titles, localisations or... nothing at all.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
NSMB2 was announced in an investor meeting. Until now, Pokemon has been the only real major title announced in a Direct.

IIRC it was vaguely mentioned as a new 2D Mario title coming in the next fiscal year- the actual announcement was in a Nintendo Direct.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I hope Star Fox x Metroid is announced so I can finally be consumed by my suppressed Nintendo rage and go postal on this forum.

Yet, afterwards people will still keep telling us that Nintendo has abandoned E3 and Direct is the new way to go. As always.

You continually deny it, but Nintendo Directs have seen far and away the largest announcements from Nintendo over the past year.

3DS XL
NSMB2
Indirect NSMBU and Zombi U confirmation
Final Gamepad design
Miiverse and Wii U OS
Pokemon X and Y
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate HD Ver. and Western localisation
Bayonetta 2 (debatable, but I certainly saw it announced in a Direct)
Professor Layton 6
Jam With The Band 3DS
eShop titles (Harmoknight, Fallblox, etc.)

Whereas E3 saw:
Pikmin 3 reconfirmation
Nintendoland

With the exception of Nintendoland, every single one of Nintendo's big-to-medium software announcements came through a Nintendo Direct. It's hardly a shock that people see them as the big thing!

NSMB2 was announced in an investor meeting.
A 2D Mario for 3DS was mentioned. By that logic, a Monolith Soft/Retro/Zelda/3D Mario reveal tomorrow wouldn't be an announcement because they've already been mentioned by Iwata/Miyamoto/Reggie/whoever.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Is it just the internet effect or are you really bitter? I'm not saying that in the inflammatory, accusatory sense, you just come across very bitter about nintendo lately
Lately?
I don't expect anything but I'm not going to be mad with stark disappointment even before the event begins while shrugging it off as being "reasonable".

You continually deny it, but Nintendo Directs have seen far and away the largest announcements from Nintendo over the past year.

3DS XL
NSMB2
Indirect NSMBU and Zombi U confirmation
Final Gamepad design
Miiverse and Wii U OS
Pokemon X and Y
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate HD Ver. and Western localisation
Bayonetta 2 (debatable, but I certainly saw it announced in a Direct)
Professor Layton 6
Jam With The Band 3DS
eShop titles (Harmoknight, Fallblox, etc.)

Whereas E3 saw:
Pikmin 3 reconfirmation
Nintendoland

With the exception of Nintendoland, every single one of Nintendo's big-to-medium software announcements came through a Nintendo Direct. It's hardly a shock that people see them as the big thing!

We would have seen more at E3 if they had more ready to show off, surely. Pokemon still is the only major series up there, before that the XL was the biggest announcement... which still isn't a game. ,,Indirect ZombiU'' etc is also quite stretching it, lol. Monster Hunter and Bayonetta will do middling sales, so you should expect games of that calibre at best. Most of the time though it has been downloadable stuff and localisations, which is also good. But no way will there be 3d Mario, Zelda, Metroid, etc. These will be at E3, even Miyamoto said his new IP would first be shown their whenever it's ready.
Often it has also been nothing, like the last general Direct that had nothing but delays for everything launch window.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
I hope they announce a RAM expansion pack for Wii U.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
PN04 published by nintendo, coming christmas 2013.

I hope Star Fox x Metroid is announced so I can finally be consumed by my suppressed Nintendo rage and go postal on this forum.
Everybody hide your postal codes.

The Boat

Nintendo's definition of new games is "games that haven't been released yet."

Tomorrow will proceed as follows:

Resident Evil Revelaitons video + date
Aliens: Colonial Marines video + date
Rayman Legends video + date
LEGO City: Undercover video
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate video + date
Pikmin 3 video + q2 2013
Bayonetta 2 video
The Wonderful 101 video + q2 2013
Game & Wario video + date

and finally, saving the best for last and therefore taking up the most time...

Wii Fit U video and date!

end nintendo direct
I wouldn't be too surprised if this was the case, they probably want to hype these upcoming games.

beje

Banned
lol 6AM, American peeps always get shafted with timetables, with Europe just in the middle getting almost always the best deal.

Yeah, but afterwards the first screenshots were randomly shown outside of a Direct too afair.
OBJECTION!
We would have seen more at E3 if they had more ready to show off, surely. Pokemon still is the only major series up there, before that the XL was the biggest announcement... which still isn't a game. ,,Indirect ZombiU'' etc is also quite stretching it, lol. Monster Hunter and Bayonetta will do middling sales, so you should expect games of that calibre at best. Most of the time though it has been downloadable stuff and localisations, which is also good. But no way will there be 3d Mario, Zelda, Metroid, etc. These will be at E3, even Miyamoto said his new IP would first be shown their whenever it's ready.
Often it has also been nothing, like the last general Direct that had nothing but delays for everything launch window.

All of the major Nintendo announcements of the past year have been made at a Nintendo Direct. You can hardly point at 3D Marios or Zeldas and say they wouldn't be announced at a Direct, when they haven't been announced anywhere at all.

And yes, although they weren't given proper titles, NSMBU and Zombi U were shown off in their final forms on a Nintendo Direct.

mclem

So is it confirmed that Direct will be only Nintendo-published?

Usually, even if a Direct has a particular focus, it's not uncommon for there to be a little spell where Iwata delivers other news. RE might still get a passing mention, even though it won't be a principal focus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom