• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nendoroid GAF |OT| Swap that frown for a Good Smile

tlHZrlg.png

DyNs4sV.png

Nendoroids are a brand of figures from Good Smile Company. Nendoroid figures are primarily based on Japanese properties such as Anime, Video Games and Movies. They come with many interchangeable parts such as arms, legs, held items and faceplates. Most Nendoroids share the same form factor so you can swap these parts between characters creating some cute or hilarious combinations.

Nendoroids come in variety of different styles
  • Nendoroid : The standard style with interchangeable parts
  • Nendoroid Petite : Smaller, cheaper, less customizable
  • Nendoroid Co-de : A new line, more info here.
Every Nendoroid is conveniently labelled with a number. There are close to 600 now with more releasing every month.

E1hmDKZ.png

Nendoroids are made in Japan thus in order to buy them you usually have to import from a Japanese hobby site. Japanese figures in general sell out with pre-orders although sometimes you can purchase them after their release. If you’re looking for a Nendoroid that has been released you are more likely to find it by looking at second hand sales. Nendoroids generally retain their value in the second hand market with some exceptions of rare or exclusive Nendoroids being sold for much higher than their MSRP. However, beware of bootlegs. While not as common as scale figures there are some Nendoroid bootlegs. (I would know about this)

Amiami is the most popular Japanese hobby store for foreigners to import from. They not only sell figures but video games, CDs, artbooks and various other anime merchandise. They usually have the best pre-order discounts. Amiami does not like cancellations but upon will request will cancel an order. If you cancel too often your account may be shut down. Amiami also sells pre-owned figures marked by a rating system.
  • A – Box never opened / A – Box is in pristine condition
  • B – Box opened but figure shows little to no signs of wear / B – Box shows signs of wear
  • C – Figure has noticeable damage, there is usually a note describing the damage / C – Box is noticeably damaged

Mandarake is a Japanese retailer dealing in second hand otaku merchandise. If you’re looking for an out of print Nendoroid, Mandarake is the place to look. They do a very good job describing any damage a figure they’re selling may have and there are no known reports of bootlegs sold from their stores. They have various locations in Japan so if you want to order multiple figures from different locations they will have to be bought in separate orders. When searching for a Nendoroid it may be hard to find using English thus it is best to search using the character’s name in kanji/hiragana.

Hobby Search is another popular retailer. Their pre-order discounts may not be as deep as Amiami’s but they have a more lenient cancellation policy.

Hobby Link Japan is usually more expensive than Amiami and Hobby Search but the owner is American so customer service does not have a language barrier.

Rules
  • Do not post anything NSFW
  • Do not post or link to magazine scans
  • Do not post about any other type of figures

Regarding FigureGAF’s closure:
Following up on questions of what is and isn't ok to post in here. As ModBot said in the closing post in FigureGAF, if a community thread gets shut down, we don't want that community to try to take over another thread. This is why I posted rules of thumb rather than absolute standards--the intent here is not something like "western action figures are fine, Japanese stuff is bad," but rather "please don't move your discussion wholesale into this thread and drown out what was previously discussed here."

We're not super excited about arguing a bunch of exemptions and edge cases, especially since the distinction between this thread and the Figure thread was always a little fuzzy around the edges. But clearly people are wondering what's ok to post here and want some further rules. Ok, we can do some of that. Giant robot action figures are fine. Nendo figures might fit the letter of this thread, but they don't appear to fit the spirit. On the other hand, Nendo figures weren't the problem with FigureGAF, so we're open to allowing discussion of them, just not in this thread. If someone wants to make a thread for Nendos specifically, that's fine.

If you want to respond or ask further questions, feel free to do so via PM rather than in this thread. This thread has been derailed enough.

Banner images shamelessly stolen from users at http://myfigurecollection.net/.

Bam

Banned
I've been debating whether or not I want to pick up some of these. How's the quality? They don't seem too expensive so that's nice too.

I need the Star Wars ones. @.@

Shit, I didn't realize Figure-GAF got got. I was mostly talking about how Funko-GAF and Nendo-GAF are now their own things.

Something something TAKING OVER

Toki767

Only Link and Red nendoroids for me.

I may be tempted to grab Vader or a Stormtrooper though.

Also, does this thread mean there's never going to be a thread for anime figures anymore? I liked getting my upcoming anime figure news from FigureGAF.

cajunator

Banned
Only Link and Red nendoroids for me.

I may be tempted to grab Vader or a Stormtrooper though.

Also, does this thread mean there's never going to be a thread for anime figures anymore? I liked getting my upcoming anime figure news from FigureGAF.

No more figureGaf.
However, they have found another home. I will Pm you.

Anyone have links on where I can get the Onodera (from Nisekoi) and Mako (from Kill La Kill) Nendoroids from?

Onodera just got a reprint
http://www.navitoworld.com/products/copy-of-457-nisekoi-nendoroid-kosaki-onodera-re-run

sadly out of luck with Mako unless you buy second hand.

Soi-Fong

I've mostly avoided Nendos.

Got the five main Madoka Magica ones and said I was gonna stop there.

....but now Elsa's on her way and I really want the Wind Waker Link one.

Crud.

Einbroch

Banned
I honestly don't get nendroids, they just look kinda dumb.

Why not just buy a normal figure?

Because they're a third the price or less of figures? Because they're cute and have a consistent style? Because they're posable? Because a lot of characters that don't get figures get Nendoroids? Because some people like the style? Because you can swap faces and other accessories with other Nendos?

I mean, I could go on, but it's kinda a silly question.

bigkrev

Nendos are pretty cool, I guess. Here's some of mine.

Need to take a more up to date photo when I get home. I also have the Toon Link, Sonic, and Luigi nendos on my desk at work.

Freaked out for a second because I thought that somehow, a Nagito Nendo had come out and the world had conspired to hide this fact from me.

Charaform's are stupid :(

Then I realized they can be humorous so now I am collecting all the queens blade Nendroids.

There was a time, way back in 2011, when there seemed to be a surplus of Queen's Blade nendos in all the character good stores in Hong Kong. Reinas were literally on the shelves for years. Honestly thought no one liked that line.

SoldnerKei

I just own Toon Link Nendo, but I guess it's something :v

still I am waiting any word on Marth, Sheeda and Young Link nendos

Einbroch

Banned
Always wanted to start a collection. Any particularly good places to start?

Mandarake or AmiAmi's preowned section, both in the OT. If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask. We're all enablers here.

Type this in Mandarake: ねんどろいど

There was a time, way back in 2011, when there seemed to be a surplus of Queen's Blade nendos in all the character good stores in Hong Kong. Reinas were literally on the shelves for years. Honestly thought no one liked that line.

It's the rediculousness of them that got me to buy. Also they show up quite a bit for dirt cheap. Swap a Miku hwad and you have a squished Miku with exploding clothes.

Einbroch

Banned
Also, avoid Nendoroids from before 2012 as a general rule if you're a new collector. They're not bad, but they usually had tricky bases and the quality isn't as high as more recent Nendoroids. Of course, you shouldn't be afraid of older Nendoroids if you like the character, but a new collector might be turned off by their "loosenes" and difficulty in assembly.

kewlmyc

I've wanted Sonic and Red for so long. ;_;

Red is going to cost you a pretty penny to get, being exclusive and all. Prices are up to like $150 on some sites.

Sonic can be found easily on amazon or ebay if you search "Nendoroid Sonic".

Make sure you type "Sonic" and not "Sonico" or you'll get a totally different result. :p

Red is going to cost you a pretty penny to get, being exclusive and all. Prices are up to like $150 on some sites.

Sonic can be found easily on amazon or ebay if you search "Nendoroid Sonic".

Make sure you type "Sonic" and not "Sonico" or you'll get a totally better result. :p

FTFY

Top Bottom