• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your most unpopular opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.
old-time-crowd1.jpg
image-e1451773481415.jpeg

Goddamnit.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Just a couple:

American action movies are fucking garbage since at least the early 2000s, the Fast'n'Furious ones being the worst of all. Movies for cavemen. McTiernan was the last great innovator

The God of War games are hollow, boring ass clickfests with added gratuitous and ridiculous gore. Juvenile rancid joke of a serie

ROTS, terrible stiff acting and directing aside, is the best Star Wars movie along with ANH

The Americans is secretly the best TV show from America

Zelda Skyward Sword deserves all the 10s it got, incredible game

Seinfeld is horrendously unfunny, a random Frasier episodes wipes the floor with the entirety of that irritating garbage

Queen were the best band ever

Darren Aranofsky's movies are putrid trash

GPsych

- MOBAs are really boring
- All multi-player games are hindering the video game hobby as a whole
- Cheating on someone does not make you worse than Hitler (although it's still really bad)
- The Last of Us is just a generic zombie story
- Lunar: The Silver Star is the greatest RPG of all time

I'm not being pedantic and my intention is not to seem hostile. I'm just curious about the root of your opinion on this.

Not taken that way, so no worry there.

Because, to me personally it serves no purpose other than to be socially edgy. In reality, its impossible to be gender neutral. As such you are either a Male, or a Female. If someone was born a man, and they decided that wasn't them, and went through the process to become a women, or vice versa, I find it hard to believe they would go through all of that just to identify as nothing.

Maedre

Banned
- Cheating on someone does not make you worse than Hitler (although it's still really bad)

-Yes
-Yes
-BOOOOOOH
-Yes

Some Nobody

You. I like you.

Guevara

It's not your fault that so many things are broken:

• It's hard to stay healthy and not become obese in this environment of poor food choices and cheap calories
  • It's hard to make and save money in our broken economy
  • It's hard to get a good education, and give your children a good education
  • It's hard to navigate the legal and justice systems that are stacked against common people
But while none of these problems are your fault, they are your responsibility since ultimately you are the only person who cares about you.

louie

Pretty much everything to do with the nerdy or gaming lifestyle culture is embarrassing, and it is unacceptable for adults to let it define them so much.

Daenerys Targaryen has always been a poorly written character.

MMA is much more boring without the rampant PED's.

Capra

I like Griffith*

Not Femto - pre-Eclipse Griffith. He does a lot of heinous shit for political gain and he makes Guts complicit in it, but he's also a nuanced character and his motivations are pretty sympathetic. The way I see it, his childhood dream was the only thing that kept him going while living in the streets, and once he started the Band of the Hawk and the reality of it hit him he felt he had an obligation to the people who followed him, both alive and dead, to keep that dream alive. He was basically consumed by the momentum of his dream just like everyone else in the Band, and as more corpses piled up that momentum only increased. He's definitely not flawless, but it's the disparity between the perfect leader everyone hails him as and the very flawed human he actually is, who we only see in his most vulnerable moments, that makes him interesting. I think of Griffith pre-Eclipse as a very Shakespearean character doomed to tragedy.

Fuck Femto though. I'm only on Vol. 32 of the manga but so far Femto/Reborn Griffith seems entirely devoid of emotion and lacking in any motivation beyond just, "doing evil for evil's sake." He basically dies as a character once he becomes a Godhand and is more of a force of nature from then on.

Gutek

Homeland generation is a bunch of horrible crap sacks

The unregulated internet was a mistake and lead to Trump and the reemergence of white supremacy

Mueller investigation will not lead to Trump impeachment/removal

Israel has a right to exist

Cultural appropriation is only a problem in the context of black culture being hijacked by whites in this US

Elon Musk is complicit in normalizing Trump and thus should be shunned

White men are the biggest threat to democracy and our way of life

Acorn

Pretty much everything to do with the nerdy or gaming lifestyle culture is embarrassing, and it is unacceptable for adults to let it define them so much.
Semi related, anyone that defines themselves by their job or one hobby confuses the fuck outta me.

Turin

Banned
Team sports are boring. So is anything revolving around a ball, really.

Brienne of Tarth's chapters are some of the best between Feast for Crows and Dance With Dragons.

Alice In Chains is the best band of the 90's.

I prefer cold weather.

xandaca

A silly one:

- As the quality of film stock/the movie image has improved over time, it has had an inverse effect on how immersive and relatable modern movies are able to be. For blockbusters focused on spectacle, higher image quality is great. For anything more character or story driven, the glossiness of an HD image is too pristine and makes everything look expensive, which in turn creates a distance between the viewer, who is in a small way distracted by how good the image is, and the imperfection of the conflict depicted on-screen. The slightly grainier, sunburnt look of (colour) films from the 60s-90s is preferable from a storytelling point of view as it feels earthier and more tangible. It's less literally realistic, but engages the imagination and senses.

A more 'serious' one:

- I don't believe there's a vast gulf in 'oppression' between how men and women experience everyday life. Yes, there are many aspects of life where women take a disproportionate hit (as we're seeing, being victims of sex crime, for instance) but there are other aspects where men are treated worse. On the surface, many issues that MRAs and their ilk purport to be concerned with have at least some legitimacy, except they're only really interested in using them as a front to be abusive to feminists or generally defensive. There are valid arguments to say women or men come out a bit worse than the other overall, but, again, while there are definitely areas which disproportionately affect one or the other, I don't see much evidence of the supposedly enormous chasm between the sexes' experiences overall. Women's issues get a lot more emphasis because feminism is older, more intellectually established, and people generally empathise with women more than men. Men's issues get downplayed because most of the people raising them are idiots, and the idea remains prevalent that men deserve what they get, whether good (being rich) or bad (being homeless).

On a similar note:

- Perfect equality is not achievable or desirable. People are different, they make different choices, have different motivations and different outlooks. Perfectly equal pay, perfectly equal job representation, etc., can only be achieved if you deny people their choices and individuality. Obviously, this is a matter of degrees: at the moment, for instance, the poorest in society are living at a level well below what should be acceptable in a developed nation, while a relatively small number of highly successful individuals and corporations hold vastly more power than they should. Regulation and redistribution to raise that bottom standard and reduce the amount of control held by those at the top are therefore positive. However, what we should be aiming for is to decide a level of, let's say, acceptable inequality, where everyone can live at an equitable level and not see their aspirations blocked by prejudice or bias as far as possible, while allowing for the fact that choice and individuality by their very nature will produce uneven outcomes in all areas. So, for instance, there'll always be a wage gap of some sort (whether in favour of men or women), but the trick is not simply to look at the raw number, but to try and discern what percentage of the gap is down to discrimination or bias, and eliminate only that percentage, rather than the whole thing. Similarly, there'll likely never be perfectly even representation in all jobs, but rather than aiming for that, aim to make sure those from the 'unrepresented' side who do want to pursue those careers are able to do so as far as humanly possible without encountering hostility or bias.

Come at me, bruhs.

Some Nobody

Here's an unpopular opinion: The self-hatred that geeks have for themselves and their own kind is honestly kinda shitty. It's admirable to not want to be like the alt-right dweebs, but calling people embarrassing for owning what they love is still not cool.

ZanDatsu

You sure "unacceptable" is the word you wanna use here? Peculiar view for someone to take on what is primarily a gaming forum.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
NRA is a terrorist organization.

Generally with most issues I can have a nuanced opinion and will tolerate debate on the subject and keep open the possibility of changing my views.

The exception is the NRA. I will not tolerate my family/friends defending the organization. My brain shuts down any nuanced debate about the benefits of joining the organization. In my mind if you are a member of the NRA you are at best funding terrorism if not a terrorist yourself.

pbayne

Review threads can be pretty silly. Like exchanging opinions and seeing the general critical reception is fine but shit like " i called it getting an 88 metacritc" or "bomb if it dosent hit some magic review number" is dumb.

Kenji17

Banned
The Simpsons went downhill as early as season 5.

I'll agree with whoever said that Seinfeld isn't that funny.

This is a weird one, but for me the most exciting thing about winning the lottery wouldn't be, "I get to buy whatever I want," it would be, "I never have to hold a job ever again."

Some "popular" Game, TV or movie reviewers online aren't particularly as sophisticated or even knowledgeable about the media they are reviewing... I could do their job, if I had the energy and the will to consume said media on the regular and took a writing course.

Peltz

Nintendo is consistently better than any other developer. They innovate and the others play catch up.

And the Wii was the greatest system of all time.

old

Outlaw consumer credit to drastically reduce people's purchasing power and to bring prices back down to people's income levels. Idiots willing to buy everyday essentials on credit is why prices keep going up and stay up.

Make tax returns public.

Create different tax rates for properties based on who owns them and if they're occupied. Foreign buyers should be taxed higher. Empty houses and unused commercial property should be taxed higher. Outlaw businesses from buying residential properties, or at least anonymous foreign businesses from buying desirable downtown homes.

The Sopranos sucks. Granted I didn't watch it till over a decade after it first aired but it was nothing like I was expecting. I went in thinking I was going to see this gritty drama about these ruthless gangsters and instead it was just a lot of overweight middle-aged guys whining.

Also I thought season 1 of The Wire was kind of boring. *ducks and runs*

Johndoey

Banned
Attack on Titan is a mediocre series that only caught on the sheer luck instead on any actual quality.

All the Star Wars movies so far have been dull.

The Spectre opening theme is fantastic.

Into Darkness is a better movie than Star Trek (2009).

The Evangelion fandom is generally pretty awful.

The future storyline with Desmond in the Assassin's Creed games where the connective tissue holding the entire series together and how they ended Desmond's story was lazy.

Sephzilla

Reviews of high profile Nintendo games are effectively useless since I believe reviewers give Nintendo a lot more leeway for questionable design choices than they do for other developers.

Some Nobody

You sure "unacceptable" is the word you wanna use here? Peculiar view for someone to take on what is primarily a gaming forum.

Post-GG people have felt far more comfortable being shitty towards nerd culture. It's not that I don't get where they're coming from, but...I don't think they're going about it the right way.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I thought of another one.

Doxxing white supremacists. I'm not sure if this is all that unpopular especially here on GAF. But when the Charlottesville rally went down people were getting upset that people on Twitter were outing the racists that attended.

My view is they need to be named and shamed.

Piers

I don't think Pulp Fiction is that good and the only reason people do is because it was a really adult film they shouldn't have been watching as kids.

Veedot

Dragon Ball Z and onward was never that good and is fueled by nostalgia(also Goku is an incredibly boring protagonist). I felt this when i started watching other shonen that have more diverse fights and give more than two characters time to shine.

I think Hiroyuki Imaishis big series are overrated. Well years ago i watched gurren lagann just because it was on netflix with no prior knowledge of its status in the community and i thought it was pretty good. So when i saw the pedestal it was put on while surfing the interwebz i was shocked because it didnt blow my mind like that at all. Fast forward to Kill la Kill which i gave a chance and it was a solid 6/10 maybe even a low 7 but my god is Ryuko a boring character. Though Space patrol luluco was cute and I love Panty and Stocking.

Even though hes not the director im afraid Little witch academia is going to be my next series thats hyped up but I will find average at best. Studio Trigger always pulls me in but leaves me feeling meh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom