• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stranger's phone left on my property. Possible burglar targeting my house?

I came home to some stranger's iPhone left near my door(to get to my door you have to open an unlocked gate.) I didn't recognize the phone so I assumed it was some burglar casing our house. But what kind of terrible burglar leaves their phone at the house? The phone has a password so I can't unlock it. It's also set to a Chinese language I can't read.

This has totally spooked our family because we've been victims of burglaries before but never at this current location. Who is this person and why did they leave their phone at my house? What should I do about this mystery phone? Guess I'll wait till someone calls and ask who they are.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Option A - Contact the police

Option B - Better tell GAF first

UKUMI0

Personally, I wouldn't leave it on your property because they are most likely looking for an excuse if they get caught "I was looking for my phone" or some dumb shit. Just take it to the cops or something.

That being said, I doubt it's anything suspicious and more likely was the person who delivers mail or something benign like that.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
pWs2GBG.jpg

Personally I wouldn't leave it on your property because they are most likely looking for an excuse if they get caught "I was looking for my phone" or some dumb shit. Just take it to the cops or something.
wouldn’t they still have that excuse?

(i guess if theyd locate it with find my iphone)

mhayes86

Having been a victim of burglary, do you have a camera set up anywhere, or any home protection? If not, why?

Is this a tactic used? Because I would never consider a phone found near my front door to mean a burglar. I’d keep it for a day or two to see if someone calls to help return it and if nothing take it to local police as a lost and found item.

Syriel

I came home to some stranger's iPhone left near my door(to get to my door you have to open an unlocked gate.) I didn't recognize the phone so I assumed it was some burglar casing our house. But what kind of terrible burglar leaves their phone at the house? The phone has a password so I can't unlock it. It's also set to a Chinese language I can't read.

This has totally spooked our family because we've been victims of burglaries before but never at this current location. Who is this person and why did they leave their phone at my house? What should I do about this mystery phone? Guess I'll wait till someone calls and ask who they are.

1) Did you get an Amazon delivery? Probably a contract driver.
2) It's an iPhone. You can drop it off at any Apple store and they can contact the owner.

KissVibes

Banned
Are you a real human being or a sims character that has somehow gained true, sentient life?

Someone, a mail carrier, or perhaps a person with religious affiliation, probably dropped the phone accidently at your residence. If you're really that concerned that a burglar made that mistake while staking out your fortress, call the police. Don't dial the non-emergency number, call 911.

I don't think it was the mailman. The mailbox is located at the front of the fence area of my house. For larger packages they will open the fence and drop the package at my door (or even toss it over the fence) but there were no scheduled deliveries today.

We never had a security cam or alarm system. Has worked out ok for 5 years so far at this spot but I think now I'll get a camera. Anyone got any recommendations? Can you get a decent system for less than $100?

I'm lauging at that Batman image because I also thought of that.

What happens in the new Ring movie? I've only seen the original.

hydruxo

Is this a tactic used? Because I would never consider a phone found near my front door to mean a burglar. I'd keep it for a day or two to see if someone calls to help return it and if nothing take it to local police as a lost and found item.

To the bolded: is it not extremely out of the ordinary though? It's not everyday you walk out your door and see someones phone lying there. Delivery driver could make sense though.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
To the bolded: is it not extremely out of the ordinary though? It's not everyday you walk out your door and see someones phone lying there. Delivery driver could make sense though.

Mailman on his phone puts it down to sort letters or shove them through your mail slot. Forgets.

Haunted phone. I'd gtfo of there. Step on people to get away. You really can't do enough to put space between you and that ghost phone.

Don't bring the phone inside your house or don't turn it on, because it will hack your network.

This is true, it's the updated version of leaving a USB stick full of Trojans in the car park of a company knowing someone will pick it us and put it in the office PC. They left the phone there so you would find it and take it inside. You've now been infiltrated and your security and privacy have been compromised. It's probably not Chinese language you are looking at but North Korean.

Mailman on his phone puts it down to sort letters or shove them through your mail slot. Forgets.

My main point is that I would immediately think of like a dozen other scenarios before I'd consider it meant I might get robbed.

Stinkles suggestion is one. The delivery driver one also makes sense to me as someone could come up to my door, either check phone then or after knocking and getting no answer, and slip the phone into a pocket and not notice it then fall out?

And that's why I asked if this is an actual tactic used in some way. People have suggested how it could be sort of used but I just had a tough time imagining how it realistically could be used in a burglary attempt or whatever.

Someone dropped a phone near your house. Another person found it thinking it belongs to you, so they go inside your gate and dropped the phone off.

Lol i got a message from my coworker yesteray that i accidently forgot to leave the work phone at work so he left it in a shoe next to my door.

Problem was it wasent my house....:)

I can see now that it could have been some delivery driver who was checking out his phone at the wrong house, got distracted, and forgot the phone.

The Siri voice command didn't work. Do iPhone 5's have that command? I'll find a way to return the phone if they don't call. Thanks for the help.

Slacker

Destroy the phone (high-powered rifle, catapult, people's elbow, etc) while filming in slow motion. Post the video to youtube and use the profits from the video to replace the stuff that's about to be stolen.

I can see now that it could have been some delivery driver who was checking out his phone at the wrong house, got distracted, and forgot the phone.

The Siri voice command didn't work. Do iPhone 5's have that command? I'll find a way to return the phone if they don't call. Thanks for the help.

Yeah 5's have Siri, did it give a message at all?

JDdelphin

Someone dropped a phone near your house. Another person found it thinking it belongs to you, so they go inside your gate and dropped the phone off.

This ends step two.

Step three: Set the phone to Chinese and use the secret setting to give the phone sentience.

Step four: Under your control, command the phone to wait until everyone in the house is asleep and then unlock the front door.

Step five: Burgle and murder.

The classic five step burgle murder mystery phone drop gambit. Textbook.

There are some message notifications (some in English and some in Chinese) and calendar notifications, should I post them here so they can be translated?

DMONKUMA

There are some message notifications (some in English and some in Chinese) and calendar notifications, should I post them here so they can be translated?

How about you don’t and instead give it to the police. It’ll be good for you and the owner of that phone.

KissVibes

Banned

Just fucking take it to the police station.

Why are you working yourself up over nothing and making things so difficult?

Top Bottom