• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Darkest Dungeon |OT| A festering mecca of antediluvian evil

Facism

I bring a Vestal for group heal and just pound her with Arbys (god I love that class) and whatever for 4th as the Arbys can heal if they're in 3/4.

Yup Mark the stuffing out of her, hit her with bleed attacks and sniper shots. Didn't even bother with the pot and nobody hit death's door 😄

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
I'm officially giving up on Darkest Dungeon. You beat me. I can't take any more of this. But don't for a second think this was a fair victory. This was simply RNG abuse and you know it. No amount of strategy on my part could've saved me.

Did my first ever run of the Darkest Dungeon. Knew what I was getting in for thanks to the GB quick look, so I came prepared. I'm sorry, but I couldn't buy enough bandages for what the game was asking of me. Every single attack that could bleed did bleed, every stress damage attack hit for max stress, every debuff proc'd successfully. My team never crit, never dodged, never went virtuous, never surprised the enemy. Nothing. The enemy had all the crits, all the extra effect procs. Every single turn ended with my abomination stacked with 6 turns worth of 18 bleed damage. I could've had infinite bandages and nothing would've been able to save him. My highwayman missed multiple shots in a row against enemies that didn't really have that high a dodge stat. My Jester missed bleed procs against enemies without a high resistance to it. It was RNG horeshit.

I'm done. I can't do this. I have the best trinkets, my teams are all full of lvl 6 guys. They don't have a bunch of bad quirks, and the good quirks are about as good as can be expected. But they way I see it, if the game wants me to lose, then there's nothing I can do about it. I'm going to go play other games now, and stop wasting my time with one that doesn't even give me the chance to win. Maybe I'll come back, but all I have left is the Darkest Dungeon itself, and from my point of view it can't be done.
Jester/Highwayman/Abom? I dunno man.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
I'm officially giving up on Darkest Dungeon. You beat me. I can't take any more of this. But don't for a second think this was a fair victory. This was simply RNG abuse and you know it. No amount of strategy on my part could've saved me.

Did my first ever run of the Darkest Dungeon. Knew what I was getting in for thanks to the GB quick look, so I came prepared. I'm sorry, but I couldn't buy enough bandages for what the game was asking of me. Every single attack that could bleed did bleed, every stress damage attack hit for max stress, every debuff proc'd successfully. My team never crit, never dodged, never went virtuous, never surprised the enemy. Nothing. The enemy had all the crits, all the extra effect procs. Every single turn ended with my abomination stacked with 6 turns worth of 18 bleed damage. I could've had infinite bandages and nothing would've been able to save him. My highwayman missed multiple shots in a row against enemies that didn't really have that high a dodge stat. My Jester missed bleed procs against enemies without a high resistance to it. It was RNG horeshit.

I'm done. I can't do this. I have the best trinkets, my teams are all full of lvl 6 guys. They don't have a bunch of bad quirks, and the good quirks are about as good as can be expected. But they way I see it, if the game wants me to lose, then there's nothing I can do about it. I'm going to go play other games now, and stop wasting my time with one that doesn't even give me the chance to win. Maybe I'll come back, but all I have left is the Darkest Dungeon itself, and from my point of view it can't be done.

Sorry to hear that, I've never seen or experienced the kind of luck you seem to have encountered, from my own sessions to the dozens of letsplays I've watched on youtube. It's a huge turnoff when you feel the game is actively working against you, the end result is this perception of "artificial" difficulty. RNG can seem unfair, but what you're describing sounds like a gross exaggeration. Not one single positive roll?

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
19de0f72e2.png

Mdk7

Tried my first champion boss today - the Swine God - with a squad of level 6 characters (Man at Arms, Leper, Grave Digger, Vestal).
I did great during the dungeon, and arrived at the boss with almost no stress and full energy.
It definitely did NOT end well: 3 dead - all but the Vestal, who's now insane - and the monster left with fucking 15hp (out of like 250).
Seriously, the small pig dude killed two of my characters with his screams, and the big one kept unleashing crits one after another. I am ok with hard things, but this wasn't even funny.
I'm pretty depressed now.

Calcium

Banned

That's pretty damn funny.

Tried my first champion boss today - the Swine God - with a squad of level 6 characters (Man at Arms, Leper, Grave Digger, Vestal).
I did great during the dungeon, and arrived at the boss with almost no stress and full energy.
It definitely did NOT end well: 3 dead - all but the Vestal, who's now insane - and the monster left with fucking 15hp (out of like 250).
Seriously, the small pig dude killed two of my characters with his screams, and the big one kept unleashing crits one after another. I am ok with hard things, but this wasn't even funny.

Wait, is this a thing? What happens when a character goes insane?

Mdk7

That's pretty damn funny.

Wait, is this a thing? What happens when a character goes insane?

You need to let him/her recover, otherwise if your stress level goes near 200 (or even 170 i'd say)... you instantly die of heart attack.
Plus they develop quirks, so they might skip turns, self inflict wounds, provoke enemies, refuse cures and so on. :S

Calcium

Banned
You need to let him/her recover, otherwise if your stress level goes near 200 (or even 170 i'd say)... you instantly die of heart attack.
Plus they develop quirks, so they might skip turns, self inflict wounds, provoke enemies, refuse cures and so on. :S

Oh, that. I thought going insane was another level of that mechanic that was in the upper dungeons. I've seen plenty of that so far.

The other day I saw something about Hell on the menu screen. Is Hell in the game or was it just referring to the Darkest Dungeon on the highest difficulty?

kionedrik

Arbalest
is mandatory on that boss for a reason...

Begaria

Necromancer, I find, is one of the easiest bosses in the game. He starts off alone, is susceptible to Bleeds, and Crusaders tear him a new one since he's also considered Unholy. A Crusader can take out the skeletons he summons likely within one hit to. I beat the Tier 2 Necromancer with barely a sweat, even stunned him a few times. The treck to him had maybe three battles tops, and no traps.

Didn't see it posted but Red Hook put up an update with some info on the new hero, the Antiquarian.

http://www.darkestdungeon.com/the-antiquarian/

The Antiquarian is the final name for what we’ve been referring to as the Merchant Class for some time now. This is the final character class to be added to the game proper, and we have something special planned for her!

Whereas most classes come looking for a fight, the Antiquarian is only interested in collecting treasures found in the dungeons. She is not proficient in combat, instead adding value to the party by increasing its profitability! Don’t rely on her to dish out the punishment – she has no training whatsoever in terms of martial ability.

Since you are here, let’s do a quick community update!

We’ve been holding our weekly Community Streams every Wednesday from 2pm-4pm PST. We often start early and end late, but we are doing them regularly and we would love for you to stop by and ask your questions! Since we no longer have to hold the upcoming art and behind closed doors like we did with the Darkest Dungeon, Chris will be streaming himself working on the various new art assets coming to the game. You might have already caught him working on the above wallpaper. All of this is to simply say, be sure to follow us on twitch and get notified when we start streaming!

In our last update, we mentioned that we will be talking to our partners who will be working on the Linux port. We can now gladly say that the Linux port is in the works and should be ready around the same time as our March Update, which will include the Antiquarian and Town Events. We appreciate our Linux user patience and we are excited to get our game on the platform

Was hoping she would have at least some combat abilities, guess I'm just gonna have to wait and see.

Necromancer, I find, is one of the easiest bosses in the game. He starts off alone, is susceptible to Bleeds, and Crusaders tear him a new one since he's also considered Unholy. A Crusader can take out the skeletons he summons likely within one hit to. I beat the Tier 2 Necromancer with barely a sweat, even stunned him a few times. The treck to him had maybe three battles tops, and no traps.

Yeah, I beat Necro last week, he wasn't bad at all.

That new class looks interesting! Looking forward to the update.

Szadek

Was hoping she would have at least some combat abilities, guess I'm just gonna have to wait and see.
She probably will have a few attack, but they won't be that strong.
I like the idea of the hero. Money can be a big problem and a hero like this should help a lot.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
So she is literally made for loot runs

Thats actually neat?

DrArchon

I check in when I see a new character is announced that might get me to come back, and it's literally the only character they could've added that can't care about at all.

Seriously, after playing for this long, loot is inconsequential. Money is just grinding and heirlooms are worthless. Seems kinda dumb to have this kind of character released this long after launch, but I guess that's just when she was finally ready. Sucks that if I ever decide to tackle the DD again I won't have any reason to use her.

Begaria

Hmm, running into the same problem I had with the Tier 1 bosses - my parties are starting to over level past the Tier 2 boss runs. I'm not getting many Apprentice runs to boost the Dungeon level and I've been forced to do Veteran runs to do so, which means I'm gaining XP for my four parties. Oh well, I'll figure something out. Maybe I'll take one party to Champion levels and just grind out Champion dungeons to raise the level.

Hmm, running into the same problem I had with the Tier 1 bosses - my parties are starting to over level past the Tier 2 boss runs. I'm not getting many Apprentice runs to boost the Dungeon level and I've been forced to do Veteran runs to do so, which means I'm gaining XP for my four parties. Oh well, I'll figure something out. Maybe I'll take one party to Champion levels and just grind out Champion dungeons to raise the level.
I'm having this same issue. It's like you need 4 main parties because once you get strong enough to take out a boss atleast a couple members of your team and about to hit the level cap. It's somewhat of a design flaw I think since you are repeating the same thing over again and again.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
What I've figured out is that I need to always have 4-5 slots available for trash teams, for lower level runs. The key is to spend very little money on these mobs, outside of buying the skills they need, and maybe giving them one level of skills and armor/weapon upgrade.

Once they hit either Level 3 or 4, I dump them for fresh recruits.

sanhora

Seems like they're finally addressing one of the biggest weaknesses of the endgame.

Grind. Losing high level parties can be a big hurdle to come back from, and this discourages some people from continuing with the late game. While we fully intend to keep the overall deadliness in the game, there are a couple things we are looking at and we feel that it is important to take some action on that front prior to introducing new unrelated features. Specifically, we are looking at making some higher level heroes available in the Stagecoach in certain conditions, as well as some other tweaks.

This is a start, but the game really needs a bunch of tweaks to gold values and the heirloom costs as well.
There was a really informative post addressing this exact topic on the subreddit today.

jay

I actually stopped playing because my party got too high level and I don't want to boot out those characters for new people to fight the Tier 1 bosses. I can accept I should've planned better but I still don't want to deal with the time and grinding needed to fix things.

johnsmith

remember me
Yeah my biggest complaint with the game is the overleving restrictions. Having to manage 3 tiers of levels is ridiculous. If you don't want people over leveled to make lower difficulties trivial they should just scale down heroes to the dungeon level.

Szadek

I don't think it's a big problem. You will need quite a few high level characters anyway.
If your current parties are overleveled, just use your next low level teams.

MjFrancis

Seems like they're finally addressing one of the biggest weaknesses of the endgame.

This is a start, but the game really needs a bunch of tweaks to gold values and the heirloom costs as well.
There was a really informative post addressing this exact topic on the subreddit today.
Thank you for the links, the Darkest Dungeon has been one of the few games I have consistently gone back to but the grind always rears it's ugly head. The leveling restrictions are the worst, I still haven't beaten many of the Tier 1 bosses because most of my roster has been overleveled since Early Access. It is certainly counterintuitive to free open spots by dismissing perfectly good heroes (that have likely undergone significant investment, as it is quite cheaper for the lower levels).

Swig_

I just started trying this out and had a really strange thing happen to me.

So, I play my first week, it goes fine. Second week, I get a quest to (I think) go to The Darkest Dungeon and kill some creature. Everyone in my party said things like "I can't! I won't!", but I couldn't choose to go elsewhere or not do the quest. I click on Embark and it says something about Abandoning the quest (I was thinking that I'd be going to the ruins, without the quest) and it sent me to the Darkest Dungeon and all I could do was retreat, which ended up getting two of my characters killed.

Now I have an incomplete party and can't go to any dungeons. The Stagecoach is empty, so I can't hire anyone else.

I have no idea why or how this happened. The UI, while it looks great, is incredibly confusing and because of that got my two best heroes killed.

Can anyone explain what just happened? I want to like this game, but it's so difficult to tell what is actually going on. And why on earth would it force me to take a quest that is far more difficult than I can handle, after just the first week?

Aureon

I just started trying this out and had a really strange thing happen to me.

So, I play my first week, it goes fine. Second week, I get a quest to (I think) go to The Darkest Dungeon and kill some creature. Everyone in my party said things like "I can't! I won't!", but I couldn't choose to go elsewhere or not do the quest. I click on Embark and it says something about Abandoning the quest (I was thinking that I'd be going to the ruins, without the quest) and it sent me to the Darkest Dungeon and all I could do was retreat, which ended up getting two of my characters killed.

Now I have an incomplete party and can't go to any dungeons. The Stagecoach is empty, so I can't hire anyone else.

I have no idea why or how this happened. The UI, while it looks great, is incredibly confusing and because of that got my two best heroes killed.

Can anyone explain what just happened? I want to like this game, but it's so difficult to tell what is actually going on. And why on earth would it force me to take a quest that is far more difficult than I can handle, after just the first week?

If you only did first week, just start back.

Also, quests are lifetime - the Darkest Dungeon is really your ultimate objective, and perhaps all your heroes whining they couldn't go was a hit of that : )

Swig_

If you only did first week, just start back.

Also, quests are lifetime - the Darkest Dungeon is really your ultimate objective, and perhaps all your heroes whining they couldn't go was a hit of that : )

I think I'm going to have to start over, but I really want to know what happened.

I never accepted the quest. I don't know why it gave it to me. I don't know how to abandon it properly, since I thought I did and it sent me there anyway.

It's not that I'm mad that I have to start over. I want to understand what happened, so it doesn't happen to me again, and if it does, I can deal with it in a way that won't cause me to lose gold and half my party.

Aureon

I think I'm going to have to start over, but I really want to know what happened.

I never accepted the quest. I don't know why it gave it to me. I don't know how to abandon it properly, since I thought I did and it sent me there anyway.

It's not that I'm mad that I have to start over. I want to understand what happened, so it doesn't happen to me again, and if it does, I can deal with it in a way that won't cause me to lose gold and half my party.

There really aren't quests. What you're thinking of are just the stagecoach objectives, which are more like achievements, not quests.

"Kill bosses and clear the Darkest Dungeon" are just the lifetime objectives.

If you just mean where to go - click on any of the green (later yellow and red) patches under the dungeon names.

Swig_

There really aren't quests. What you're thinking of are just the stagecoach objectives, which are more like achievements, not quests.

"Kill bosses and clear the Darkest Dungeon" are just the lifetime objectives.

If you just mean where to go - click on any of the green (later yellow and red) patches under the dungeon names.

Okay. I'll start over and see what happens. Maybe I accidentally clicked on something that I shouldn't have.

Aureon

Okay. I'll start over and see what happens. Maybe I accidentally clicked on something that I shouldn't have.

You can still change your target mission even if you've clicked on the DD one.

OKK

New Game Plus completed within 62 weeks and with 3 deaths, which all of those occurred in the last battle. Somewhat disappointed that I lost Dismal just before Reynauld finished the mission, oh well. Originally I thought the increased difficulty and restrictions were borderline unfair but luckily that wasn't the case. All in all fantastic game, 5/5.

Does anybody know the exact changes in difficulty in NG+ mode? Did developers just increased the enemy health and damage or were the changes more subtle?

MjFrancis

It really isn't that hard, to keep 4 or 5 slots open for low level dungeon runs, is it?.
I keep four or five slots open, but the best example I have is taking on the Drowned Crew in the Cove and not having the right party configuration to defeat them. It's been a while now but I want to say I quit when the Drowned Crew was able to completely heal by Round 20 and the whole party was unable to cope with the stress much longer. The prospect of firing everyone and waiting for the right classes to show up on the Stagecoach felt - as Hollywood Duo pointed out - like an unnecessary grind. I would use an all Grave Robber build, but everyone was already overleveled for that encounter. And again we're back to feeling punished for putting time and money into successful characters.

I ran into the Collector for the first time during a short run in the Wealds. I managed to beat him, in spite of everyone bleeding all over the place. Glad I had an Arbalest in the party, her crits were a lifesaver.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
lol yeah im never finishing this game. decided to have a go at the darkest dungeon for the first time, got decimated even before finding the boss. Only 1 survived because he ran away (guess if you run away with 1 left he doesnt need to stay behind)

Sober

lol yeah im never finishing this game. decided to have a go at the darkest dungeon for the first time, got decimated even before finding the boss. Only 1 survived because he ran away (guess if you run away with 1 left he doesnt need to stay behind)
Just gotta keep feeding those adventurers into the meat grinder. Unless you yourself go mad from insanity, I suppose.

Rhaknar

Just gotta keep feeding those adventurers into the meat grinder. Unless you yourself go mad from insanity, I suppose.

what do you mean? I went with a max level / skills team, with mostly orange items. what more could I do :)

Top Bottom