• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 6 to feature Mount Panorama

Card Boy

Banned
son... what are you talking about ? ive had no single problem with the game from the release ... another story is Skyrim

What is this? Skyrim was fine on PC and fine on 360 for the most part.

I think his post was more referring to the 800 standard and 200 preminum cars, which is a farcical. Also are you forgetting the 1minute load times between menus on release before the first patch?

omg what is this shit... if you want more fun buy NFS or Forza,PGR .. if you want DRIVING SIMULATOR buy GT or other PC driving games like rFactor and stop crying...

Yeah man bumper cars and 400K's per hour feeling like 40 is totally a driving simulator experience.

I mean if tracks make 6 months to make, how much time did they waste on those pointless background locations for photo mode for example? The people wasting time with that could've been making sure classic GT tracks were up to next gen standard. Their resources were being used in all the wrong places, PD's refusal to use any outsourced help is noble but idiotic. They should've been making a racing game first, they put way too high an emphasis on what were accessory features at best in past GTs

The problem here is that you seem to expect them to only do things that you approve of. Look at this

http://www.gtplanet.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=229

It's a big community of people that very much enjoy the photomode. People spend hours just trying to place their car in the right spot to get the correct lighting that they desire. It might not be an appealing feature to you, but it's there because a lot of people enjoy it. I think the continued popularity of the series shows that they have a pretty good grasp on what the majority of fans want.

Every feature in the game seemed half complete. The track creator, the weather and day/night system, the online, the damage model, the cars, the tracks, the single player seemed rushed and poorly planned.

There wasn't anything rushed about the weather and day/night system. From the moment that they announced it they put a message on the site saying that it would be limited to specific tracks. Would you prefer that they not have the features at all simply because it wasn't available on every track?

As far as cars and tracks go, again that wasn't rushed. They simply figured that people would be ok with having more tracks and cars even if they weren't up to the standards of those developed from scratch.

The franchise needs a new director to make sure these resources aren't being wasted on pointless things. Or perhaps they just need stronger producers, because it seems like Kaz wasn't being accountable to anything in that massive development process. Kind of reminds me of Last Guardian. Seems like Yoshida just wants to be friends with all his employees

People like to ignore everything that Sony asked PD to do through the development of that game. Do you think that it was PD's idea to release a demo a month after the PS3 was released? No, that was Sony's idea because they needed something to showcase the PS3's power. Naughty Dog didn't have to do that nor did Guerrilla, Sony Santa Monica etc. They went to PD. They're also responsible for doing a lot of other tech stuff within the company. Plus, they released several games over the period of GT5's development. So it's not like they only worked on that the whole time (as some like to imply).

Mush

I was going to make my "woohoo fuck yeah can't wait" post but then I saw this thread has already turned to shit as per normal.

The GT5 project (including prologue) has sold over 12.7 million copies at retail (not including digital sales) up until December 2011.

Then they sold a million pieces of DLC in its first two weeks of availability. It's safe to say that Sony's made quite a bit of money off of GT5.

Iknos

Good to hear.

DLC for GT5 would be nice.

They should make Bathurst DLC for GT5 and also use it for GT6. Why not?

DICE? So you're just naming random developers to make sim racers?

DICE made an incredible rally game.

T10 + PD + DICE would be the ultimate combo.

Agent X

I'm naming developers I think could make a racer more fun. GT doesn't lack as a sim, it lacks as a game and a cohesive package. There are many, many developers who could do a lot better on that front

To me, Gran Turismo 5 was the most engaging game in the series by far. I spent much more time with the simulation aspects of this game than I did with any of the previous GT games (where I tended to stick to the "arcade" modes).

Even beyond the racing, there are so many little touches and additional ways of enjoying the game. You could visit the dealers, and even if you didn't want to purchase a car, you could take a few moments to read about its history. You could collect museum cards and build a photographic history of several auto manufacturers. You could go into Photo Mode and enjoy placing beautiful vehicles in beautiful settings.

The user interface could certainly stand some improvement, though. Going to events, then going back to the garage to pick a different car, then on to tuning, then back to events was something of a hassle with the multiple screens and load times. If there's any portion of the game where they could use some guidance from other developers, this would be it.

i don't know any other guy like kaz who changed from an enthusiastic conservative japanese developer to an enthusiast "dudes what do you want so i make that game even better" japanese developer.
i think 2d trees are still inexcusable.

Grand Turismo 6.

PlayStation 6.

Makes sense.

Seriously though, it's okay to outsource some of the work. I don't need 50 beautifully rendered Nissan Skylines when the game is so uneven and is doing its damn best to keep me from having fun. Just make it like the old days of GT1, 2, and 3 with a bunch of cars, a nice single player mode (no leveling please) and cutting edge visuals. Oh and no standard cars/premium cars distinction, ever, ever again. Thanks.

Sheikh

Banned
To me, Gran Turismo 5 was the most engaging game in the series by far. I spent much more time with the simulation aspects of this game than I did with any of the previous GT games (where I tended to stick to the "arcade" modes).

Even beyond the racing, there are so many little touches and additional ways of enjoying the game. You could visit the dealers, and even if you didn't want to purchase a car, you could take a few moments to read about its history. You could collect museum cards and build a photographic history of several auto manufacturers. You could go into Photo Mode and enjoy placing beautiful vehicles in beautiful settings.

The user interface could certainly stand some improvement, though. Going to events, then going back to the garage to pick a different car, then on to tuning, then back to events was something of a hassle with the multiple screens and load times. If there's any portion of the game where they could use some guidance from other developers, this would be it.

It is the best sim this gen by far . A few people might refute that but GT is GT. Fans will always stand by it and the enormous sales speak about how popular this is among racing game fans.

GT6 should be launched a within a year of ps4 's launch or at best at launch.

Sheikh

Banned
i don't know any other guy like kaz who changed from an enthusiastic conservative japanese developer to an enthusiast "dudes what do you want so i make that game even better" japanese developer.

GT5 looks better than any console racing game out there, so what are you saying?
It has more content than any racing game this gen too

Polyphony

All I have to say is that I'm loving this new direction GT is taking. It seems to me that PD is really listening to the fans and are doing something about all the feedback they get. Spa and Bathurst were two of the most requested tracks. One of them made it into GT5 through DLC, and it's nice to know that the other is being modelled.

A few years ago, eager fans of the series were being kept in the dark about GT5, scourging the internet and biting on every tidbit of information fed to them. Now, Kaz communicates directly through his Twitter. The game is still supported a year and a half later with additional content, updates and fixes regularly. Issues raised on forums are heard and dealt with relatively quickly.

I hope PD only becomes more transparent over time.

saladine1

Fuck me, every single GT thread always veers off into wishlists and bashing. This thread is about the greatest track potentially being featured in GT6.

Bathurst you beeches!

Mount Panorama Track Introduction

While we are here,lol, what's the chances that PD open up to outside influence and help?

This is just my opinion but I think Gran Turismo would be better if you were able to walk out if your vehicle and run along the track on foot.

I also think they should add these features:

1) Co-op in campaign
2) power-ups (come on son, even mario kart has them)
3) have a real love interest in the game. just because its racing, it doesnt mean there shouldnt be an emotional interest.
4) levelling up. there should be some rpg elements.
5) more variety in terrain (ice, and lava worlds.. but perhaps also the moon).

spats

This is just my opinion but I think Gran Turismo would be better if you were able to walk out if your vehicle and run along the track on foot.

I also think they should add these features:

1) Co-op in campaign
2) power-ups (come on son, even mario kart has them)
3) have a real love interest in the game. just because its racing, it doesnt mean there shouldnt be an emotional interest.
4) levelling up. there should be some rpg elements.
5) more variety in terrain (ice, and lava worlds.. but perhaps also the moon).

You can run on foot along the tracks in photo mode.

...oh, you're just posting a bunch of bullshit. Nevermind then.

Perkel

Banned
You will all eat a crow when game will be annouced on this year E3 releasing december 10 :)

Kaz already said that GT6 will be much quicker since he now only need to polish it's engine and add things :)

As of cars i think there will be still standard cars but Premium car list will be increased a lot.

spats

You will all eat a crow when game will be annouced on this year E3 releasing december 10 :)

Kaz already said that GT6 will be much quicker since he now only need to polish it's engine and add things :)

As of cars i think there will be still standard cars but Premium car list will be increased a lot.

Not a chance. If GT6 comes out this year, I'll tattoo Chad Warden's face on my chest.

If there are standard cars/tracks it's an instant fail. Developers should not be recycling PS2 assets 6 years into this generation. Either they cut the number of cars, hire more people or outsource. Why Yoshida hasn't enlisted a Sony UK studio to help out is beyond me.

dalin80

Banned

I agree, its shameful that kaz didn't personally find that hidden 8gb stick of ram inside the PS3 to use on full 3d trees with physics driven leaves.

The pure fact that GT5 looks as utterly incredible as it does at a very good resolution and a fixed 60fps is mind blowing and probably the greatest achievement this generation.

PD have done an awesome job and they have only made 2 mistakes-

1- trying to satisfy everyone, spreading resources too thin, should have cut some ideas completely to re-focus on everything else.
2- not hiring enough people, their team is what, half the size of turn 10? Despite that GT5 has sold about 7.5 million copies, gt5p has sold 5.1 million and the dlc packs have been million sellers.

If there are standard cars/tracks it's an instant fail. Developers should not be recycling PS2 assets 6 years into this generation. Either they cut the number of cars, hire more people or outsource. Why Yoshida hasn't enlisted a Sony UK studio to help out is beyond me.

For those like I that race on bumper cam those extra ~700 cars which dont look as good are still great additions combined with the ~300 premiums.

Unforgivable is the amount of incorrect stats, the mclaren f1 that can barely break 200mph and a lister storm 400kg too heavy for instance.

The pure fact that GT5 looks as utterly incredible as it does at a very good resolution and a fixed 60fps is mind blowing and probably the greatest achievement this generation.
As much as the 2D trees criticism is ridiculous, I will have to dispute your statement. It's certainly not a fixed 60fps. There's plenty of drops in performance and screen tear. And while it can look incredible under certain conditions (particular tracks and cars and particular weather/time of day), it is often spoiled by nasty stepped shadows. The image quality and performance was better in GT5 Prologue, and this is a shame.

As much as the 2D trees criticism is ridiculous, I will have to dispute your statement. It's certainly not a fixed 60fps. There's plenty of drops in performance and screen tear. And while it can look incredible under certain conditions (particular tracks and cars and particular weather/time of day), it is often spoiled by nasty stepped shadows. The image quality and performance was better in GT5 Prologue, and this is a shame.

The framerate and tearing is better now than it was on Prologue, specially London.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CM4cJmiCKtU

Dibbz

Silverstone has gotta be in GT6 as well. GT has a big presence at that track so hopefully they will have had access to it.

Toxa

1- trying to satisfy everyone, spreading resources too thin, should have cut some ideas completely to re-focus on everything else.
2- not hiring enough people, their team is what, half the size of turn 10? Despite that GT5 has sold about 7.5 million copies, gt5p has sold 5.1 million and the dlc packs have been million sellers..

so true

That clip appears to be comparing GT5 with GT5 patched... not Prologue... The shadows were far less of an issue in Prologue, and the environment detail was much better. Textures were higher res, crowd detail was better, and there was less pop-up.

I'd like to see the textures comparison. Popup was already fixed in London at least.

That clip appears to be comparing GT5 with GT5 patched... not Prologue... The shadows were far less of an issue in Prologue, and the environment detail was much better. Textures were higher res, crowd detail was better, and there was less pop-up.

Play Prologue again, seriously.

The resolution for the shadow buffer is smaller, but guess what, the smoke effects are also much better. And what MM says.

I'm just going by eye, looking at three versions of Eiger. The textures have got progressively worse since the initial Eiger GTHD demo. They were sharpest then, probably because there was only one car on track. It then got slightly worse with Prologue, and then marginally worse again with GT5, but with significantly more popup.

As for smoke, yes it got much better, but shadows are a much bigger deal in terms of image quality for me. It's the crisp shadows that make photomode shots look amazing - the smoke generally makes them it look worse (due to the really low res culling behind objects or whatever it is)

paskowitz

And GT5p did not have deal with dynamic weather or time of day.

spwolf

you either did not play prologue or are not remembering things correctly.

amar212

Gran Turismo style > One Lap Magic Race

Lotus Elise@Bathurst

And I am really amazed with all people suggesting how GT should be like some other game, all that in the same era during which all other games are trying to become what Gran Turismo is.

Really fascinating.

you either did not play prologue or are not remembering things correctly.
See post above. Compare Eiger from GTHD, Prologue and GT5. Texture res, shadow res and pop up gets worse with each update. Obviously lots of stuff was added and improved (e.g. lighting, weather, smoke, physics...) and for physics alone I wouldn't ever want to go back to GTHD or Prologue, but it's a shame that the initial 'target image quality' set by the Eiger GTHD demo had to be compromised in various ways.

Top Bottom