• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dolphin - Emulating Wii and Gamecube Games

Kokonoe

Banned
Well I just tried everything your tutorial said, Kokonoe, but it didn't wanted to connect in the end.

Went to the SCHTHACK website where I learned I needed to send them my serial and access key to schtserv@gmail.com, when I tried to via my hotmail address, all my attempts failed, are they still active? I don't really know what to do now. :/

Hmm..not sure but this may help!

Attention Hunters for Gamecube, PC, and Dreamcast versions of PSO.

There has been a change made to the registration process for obtaining a unique guild card number for this server.

From today forward I will be doing the registrations for these versions. As before, you will send an email with the request. The email address and the code word for registration has changed.

The new email address is schtservreg@gmail.com and the new key word is C6w47Y. If you do not include this keyword somewhere in the body or subject line of your email, it will be auto deleted.

This is for Gamecube, PC, and Dreamcast ONLY.

Also, you can go to the forums and register and make a post which you have to wait a few hours and they'll accept you after your post then you may contact a mod if it doesn't happen soon.

ss_lemonade

Is fzero just a really demanding gamd to emulate? When its just me racing alone, everything is silky 60fps smooth. Once other racers come into view, its goodbye smooth performance.

On a 2500k @ 4.5 + 6970. Using HLE and 3x native res. All games run fine with these settings except fzero

Seik

Banned
Hmm..not sure but this may help!

Also, you can go to the forums and register and make a post which you have to wait a few hours and they'll accept you after your post then you may contact a mod if it doesn't happen soon.

Thanks for the help once again, I sent my email to this adress and it worked! Now I just need to wait and try it once I get an answer from the shcthack people.

If there's any problem then I'll register to the official forum. Btw where did you got that info? I'm searching for it but found nothing yet.

Ydahs

Is fzero just a really demanding gamd to emulate? When its just me racing alone, everything is silky 60fps smooth. Once other racers come into view, its goodbye smooth performance.

On a 2500k @ 4.5 + 6970. Using HLE and 3x native res. All games run fine with these settings except fzero

IIRC, there's something wrong with the emulation of the NTSC version of FZero. OpenGL also seems to work better for that title when I tried it out a while ago.

Miker

Do you have dual core enabled? Right click on the game's banner in the main dolphin window, right click -> properties, then box in dual core. The problem with dual core is that it's highly unstable in grand prix. I don't think it's been fixed yet.

Maxim726X

Hey I tried reading that list of working bluetooth adapters and it hurt my eyes.

What's the cheapest dongle that works with Windows 8, and works well?

Kokonoe

Banned
Thanks for the help once again, I sent my email to this adress and it worked! Now I just need to wait and try it once I get an answer from the shcthack

If there's any problem then I'll register to the official forum. Btw where did you got that info? I'm searching for it but found nothing yet.

Here you go.

http://schtserv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=86461

Hey I tried reading that list of working bluetooth adapters and it hurt my eyes.

What's the cheapest dongle that works with Windows 8, and works well?

I bought this one and it works like a charm with the Toshiba bluetooth stack software.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003VWU79I/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Maxim726X

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Man Dolphin ranks right up there with SNES for me now as far as the best place to play Nintendo games. There are some games I'll never be able to play like Skyward Sword due to waggling giving me wrist issues, but some games like Metroid: Other M and DKCR are not only fully playable, but playable in a way that's accessible for me now. It doesn't hurt that the games look absolutely stunning as well. I showed it off to some friends and they were also blown away by how much more vibrant the games look now. It's truly amazing and as a Nintendo fan, I couldn't be happier.

R3OE01-11.png

R3OE01-12.png

Roo

Man Dolphin ranks right up there with SNES for me now as far as the best place to play Nintendo games. There are some games I'll never be able to play like Skyward Sword due to waggling giving me wrist issues, but some games like Metroid: Other M and DKCR are not only fully playable, but playable in a way that's accessible for me now. It doesn't hurt that the games look absolutely stunning as well. I showed it off to some friends and they were also blown away by how much more vibrant the games look now. It's truly amazing and as a Nintendo fan, I couldn't be happier.

R3OE01-11.png

R3OE01-12.png

Hnnnnnnnnnnnngggggggg

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Hnnnnnnnnnnnngggggggg

There are still some pretty glaring story choices that I'm able to look past now but the big problem for me - the controls (which I posted on the last page) have been fixed. It's quite literally a completely different and much better game now. I'm now able to appreciate it and am able to see how much work and care was put into it. This game is a shining example of how important controls are. There's only so much I can say though, you really should give it another shot.

rjc571

Banned
There are still some pretty glaring story choices that I'm able to look past now but the big problem for me - the controls (which I posted on the last page) have been fixed. It's quite literally a completely different and much better game now. I'm now able to appreciate it and am able to see how much work and care was put into it. This game is a shining example of how important controls are. There's only so much I can say though, you really should give it another shot.

I'm not sure how waggling a joystick around to aim can be considered an upgrade over pointer controls, but I'm glad that you were able to enjoy the game!

Foffy

Banned
Hmm, this is strange. Before, my Wii Remote was working just fine in Dolphin, and now when it connects the emulator can still recognize it, but when I start any game it just doesn't work at all...despite being connected and recognized by the emulator

Anyone have ANY idea on how to solve this? I have it set to real Wii Remote..

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Yeah this is a megaton of an update.

Can someone please tell me if F-ZeroGX is a game that supports the BBA? Does it even have network support of any kind?

just beat Zelda ss. besides some shitty programming with regards to onscreen text and hand holding, I really enjoyed it. as far as rendering/depth it worked perfect for me. the cutscene introing the last boss is just sublime in 3D, damn! overall in 3D - only issue I got was some minor shadowing with far away things but I think that might be attributed to my gen 1 glasses.

here are my settings when playing in either 2 or 3D (actually I cant play in 2D anymore):
https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=80C7DCC9A572A073!1120&authkey=!APEwpZ8-SDaBLG8

I also use sweetfx with default settings.

note: I don't enable 3D vision in the dolphin program as it crashes when you end your session. my computer automatically runs it in 3D so not sure why they even put that there. also, rendering at a res above 1080p doesn't work in 3D - I think it may have to do with my monitor. you will have to play with the depth and conversion in game to find your sweet spot. I imagine you know how to do this with the NVidia shortcuts.

and as a bonus here are some wind waker 3D grabs:
http://photos.3dvisionlive.com/eddiifox/album/50d2a5b7a3e0676c66000002/
fucking phenomenal!

Can you explain more especifically how to play GC and Wii games on 3D? Or if you have a tutorial to share, it would also be nice.. I actually have the same graphics card (geforce gtx 560 ti), but have no ideia how to activate 3D on Dolphin.. I dont know if it changes something, but my PC is plugged into my TV (Sony Bravia KDL-40EX725). Looking forward to playing Wind Waker again, but now on 3D!:D Tks in advance!!!!

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
List of games that use Broadband Adapter for Lan:
  • Mario Kart: Double Dash!!
  • 1080° Avalanche
  • Kirby Air Ride

List of games that used Broadband Adapter for online play:
  • Homeland (Japan only)
  • Phantasy Star Online Episode I & II
  • Phantasy Star Online Episode III: C.A.R.D. Revolution

Yep, thats it. Next to nothing made us of the thing, despite it coming out a month before Xbox Live Launched.

List of games that use Broadband Adapter for Lan:
  • Mario Kart: Double Dash!!
  • 1080° Avalanche
  • Kirby Air Ride

List of games that used Broadband Adapter for online play:
  • Homeland (Japan only)
  • Phantasy Star Online Episode I & II
  • Phantasy Star Online Episode III: C.A.R.D. Revolution

Yep, thats it. Next to nothing made us of the thing, despite it coming out a month before Xbox Live Launched.

so we can hamachi for kirby air ride?

SoldToBears

Neo Member
So, I updated to 3.5 and all of my GC games started having issues. They now freeze after the Nintendo/loading screen. This happens with Mario Kart, Mario Strikers and a few others. The couple that get past it won't register any form of input (I've tried keyboard/mouse and PS3/XBox controllers). This happens with Wind Waker, Smash Bros. and Baten Kaitos.

My Wii games all work fine.
Any ideas?

Running on:
Intel Core i7-970 3.2GHz
6GB DDR3-1333 RAM
GeForce GTX 570

*edit*

OK, I figured out the input problem. I had accidentally set port one to <nothing> instead of Standard Controller. I still can't figure out what is causing some games to freeze up, though.

I'm having a problem...not specifically with Dolphin, but with the Bluetooth USB adapter I'm trying to use with it.

It's a Rocketfish Micro Bluetooth Adapter, but it won't install on my gaming computer. I've got MotionJoy installed on it for using my PS3 controller for games, and whenever my computer's actually able to find the device and attempt to install it, it does so as a MotionJoy Input device.

I tried uninstalling MotionJoy, restarting, and installing the bluetooth adapter again, but it still installs it as a MotionJoy Input device--maybe there are some drivers that the uninstall doesn't get rid of or something?

I've installed the adapter on my other computer, and it finds it and installs it just fine (that computer, incidentally, has never had MotionJoy installed on it).

Has anybody run into this problem before? Sorry if off-topic...

EDIT: Solved, had to go into Device Manager and move the adapter from port to port uninstalling the MotionJoy drivers in each one...kinda weird. Working now though.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Three shots from Red Steel. Isn't playable, doesn't work properly, and hangs on every in-engine cutscene.

red1bup8b.png

red1c4spq.png

red2zfseu.png

WTF, Red Steel looks that good?!

Yeah. It was really great looking sometimes. Especially the later Levels. The Problem was the Framerate.

But I really never understood that some levels were really good looking and full of details, while other levels (like the factory or harborlevel or whatever it was) looked like shit.

ramine

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah. It was really great looking sometimes. Especially the later Levels. The Problem was the Framerate.

But I really never understood that some levels were really good looking and full of details, while other levels (like the factory or harborlevel or whatever it was) looked like shit.

It's quite likely that the levels were made by different level designers of varying skills, if not different teams altogether.

EvB

Hey guys, I could do with some advice, I'm thinking of building a PC especially for some Dolphin action, the game that really makes me want to do it is F-Zero GX.

My Current PC can manage 60fps in practice mode, but struggles to go beyond 30-40 in a grand prix race.

What are the most important components for Dolphin to Consider, from what I understand the CPU is the thing doing the bulk of the work here, any particular CPU I could look at (Dual core?)

Hey can someone help me how do you get Sweetfx working in Dolphin? I can use Sweetfx in other emulators and PC games but in Dolphin it doesn't seem to work.

I put the files from the sweetfx archive into the root folder of Dolphin but it doesn't work.

I really want to try it out.

Edit:Nevermind I figured it out. It only works in 32bit dolphin but 32bit dolphin is too slow so it doesn't work out for me.

Needs to be added the Videogame facts that blow your mind thread. Infamous RS bullshots weren't really bullshots.
Well, rendering a console game in a higher resolution and throwing in lots of AA is bullshoting, it's just that it's bullshoting the actual assets.

Eusis

Needs to be added the Videogame facts that blow your mind thread. Infamous RS bullshots weren't really bullshots.
They absolutely were: anything far beyond what your system will actually render to any display is "bullshot" to me, as it's implying it'll look way better for you than it does. It took several years past launch and maturing emulation to actually reach that stage.

That's what everyone has done since the dawn of 3D games, that isn't bullshotting.
Never seen PSone/N64/Saturn game screenshots going past the resolution of the hardware, so no; even in the PS2/GC/Xbox generation it wasn't that common seeing the screenshot tools for all systems (baring xbox aside) were limited to SD. You had to go out of your way in order to take a bigger resolution out of it; fact illustrated by how wii screenshots looked, if devs could add AA in the shots for press or perhaps supersample they would have. Bullshotting in SD console environment means going way out of your way.

For PC, sure, because the software is supposed to be hardware independent, but even then, if by current hardware standards the game isn't playable at that level of detail then that's pretty much the definition of bullshotting.

Nobody was playing Doom 3 in ultra when it came out.

M3d10n

Never seen PSone/N64/Saturn game screenshots going past the resolution of the hardware, so no; even in the PS2/GC/Xbox generation it wasn't that common seeing the screenshot tools for all systems (baring xbox aside) were limited to SD. You had to go out of your way in order to take a bigger resolution out of it; fact illustrated by how wii screenshots looked, if devs could add AA in the shots for press or perhaps supersample they would have. Bullshotting in SD console environment means going way out of your way.

For PC, sure, because the software is supposed to be hardware independent, but even then, if by current hardware standards the game isn't playable at that level of detail then that's pretty much the definition of bullshotting.

Nobody was playing Doom 3 in ultra when it came out.

Bullshots were very common in PS2 and Xbox games. Just stroll reviews for PS2 games in IGN, GameSpot or some similar sites and you'll have no problem finding them. The PS2 dev kit had a tool specifically made for producing them (used tiled rendering) and the Xbox could do them natively (just render to a huge buffer with 4X AA enabled). The GC was the one which made bullshots hard to make and the Wii inherited the same limitation.

Bullshots were very common in PS2 and Xbox games. Just stroll reviews for PS2 games in IGN, GameSpot or some similar sites and you'll have no problem finding them. The PS2 dev kit had a tool specifically made for producing them (used tiled rendering) and the Xbox could do them natively (just render to a huge buffer with 4X AA enabled). The GC was the one which made bullshots hard to make and the Wii inherited the same limitation.
I know about the tiled option (also seen it replicated on Wii games, albeit certainly via workaround), but it certainly wasn't standard procedure; ign, gamespot etc galeries are mostly filled with pretty aged up 512x448 shots or similar direct framegrabs on PS2's case.

Although yes, I can think of a few PS2 games whose marketing criteria for imagery revolved around bullshoting as a way to make the game/art look better, I can even think of some pulled by Nintendo on GC. Point was it wasn't standard procedure (on the Xbox it was more common, and this gen, taking Wii aside it was all over the place).

Randdalf

I actually liked Red Steel.

Me too, up until the part where it collapsed under the weight of all that was wrong with it. I honestly preferred it to Red Steel 2 if only because the motion controls in that game gave me a dead arm. I definitely remember it being a really good looking game, even though the frame rate crumbled at times. There were some really interesting levels as well, like the funhouse.

Fat Goron

So... I'm going to build a new PC and was planning to get an i5 3570. However, Dolphin is a big priority to me and it seems to be pretty processor intensive. Is it worth to get an i7 3770 instead or an i5 can handle it?

Anth0ny

So I finally got my 7870.

sweetbabyjesusozub3.png

I'M GONNA CRY

It's perfect. Looks perfect, plays perfect. Time for another Wind Waker playthrough. God bless you Dolphin.

Foffy

Banned
Hmm, this is strange. Before, my Wii Remote was working just fine in Dolphin, and now when it connects the emulator can still recognize it, but when I start any game it just doesn't work at all...despite being connected and recognized by the emulator

Anyone have ANY idea on how to solve this? I have it set to real Wii Remote..

Figure I'd bump this up again, as in the meantime I was using another Wii Remote, and now the same problem exists within that. So now the two devices I have are recognized by Dolphin and my PC, but when it comes to playing games the emulator shits itself, assuming nothing's even plugged in. :<

I assume it's a strange driver issue, so if anyone knows any good way of wiping the drivers the Wiimote makes, that would be wonderful. Device Manager isn't helping.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
So... I'm going to build a new PC and was planning to get an i5 3570. However, Dolphin is a big priority to me and it seems to be pretty processor intensive. Is it worth to get an i7 3770 instead or an i5 can handle it?

I'm not entirely sure if the extra threads matter, I sure hope they do as I got a 2600k but I haven't seen any info that would indicate otherwise.

asa

So what's the reason for these low res hud elements in emulated Cube/Wii games, I know that the original materials are sub hd, but I would think someone would have upscaled the hud elements by now. Or is it some technical barrier with how hud is drawn? Ugly huds are pretty much only reason stopping me playing these old classics with Dolphin.

-MB-

So what's the reason for these low res hud elements in emulated Cube/Wii games, I know that the original materials are sub hd, but I would think someone would have upscaled the hud elements by now. Or is it some technical barrier with how hud is drawn? Ugly huds are pretty much only reason stopping me playing these old classics with Dolphin.

THere are Hi-res texture packs out there that have all the hud elements redone in highres.

Top Bottom