• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brazilians are losing faith in democracy and considering a return to military rule

I'm afraid of the future. There isn't a single decent candidate. I'm not gonna lie, I was going to vote for him because of his Christian posture since I'm one too... but I can't agree with that (and apparently other) opinion of his.

Just the fact that he doesn't outright condemns the Dictatorship we went through and is close friends with a bunch of Ditadura supporters means that, as a Christian, you shouldn't support that complete and utter piece of garbage. We don't even need to get to his other stupid-ass, un-Christian like positions. He's a well-known Ditadura sympathizer, that by itself should lead anyone with any kind of empathy to despise that waste of oxygen. Then when you factor in all the other disgusting views he has on everything else, you should be throwing up every time you see him on television.

Fucking hell, recently I even discussed with a fuckface on Facebook that tried to convince me that Brazil never went through a military dictatorship. And, of course, he is a Bolsocrap supporter.

Micael

I think having England as the primary governmental template, followed closely by France helped a lot. I'm guessing Portugal and Spain were likely not as entrenched democratically and systematically as the other two and it caused longstanding issues. Canada is cut from much the same cloth as the US is and it succeeded as well.

There is a multitude of factors at play here, but the most prominent one isn't the specific country and its institutions, but the way nations colonized each country.

Portugal started the colonization of the Americas more than 100 years before England started, which means that they also had less experience on what was needed to make a colony work at that point.

Brazil and most of south america were insanely rich, so the type of colonization Portugal and Spain engaged in what was mostly exportation of national resources from the area, which ofc isn't conductive to building infrastructure and institutions that will help a colony transition into an stable independent country, I mean one of the most populous areas of Brazil is called Minas Gerais, which translates to "General Mines".

Main land Portugal despite having had one of the largest empires in the world with territories all over the world, was pretty small, which ofc means that if you want to exploit what is now one of the world largest countries, you would use a whole lot of slaves, a larger proportion to the non slave population than what you would likely see in something like USA, and since slaves don't tend to be educated even by the standards of that time, and its descendants would all around be discriminated against, it contributes to yet another issue.

Then we have the partners the US colonies had in comparison to what the south american colonies had, by the time of independence of the USA the british empire was very big and on the rise, same as with France, on the other hand the Portuguese and Spanish empire were already declining.

We can look at say the French and British colonies in Africa, and other regions and see that they also didn't fare so well, due to in large part the reason and way their colonization was conducted, in comparison we look at Macau a former Portuguese colony and it is one of the very wealthiest regions in the world, in no small part due to the fact it was built to be a trading hub, instead of a center for exploitation of natural resources.

That being said, Portugal and Spain culture and institutions have ofc played a part in all of it, it is certainly no coincidence that Portugal had the longest lasting dictatorship in Western Europe, followed closely by Spain

A similar thing happened in Thailand.

You had a corrupt PM, followed by a couple of lame ducks and finally a complete idiot who nearly bankrupted the country again.
Suddenly you have violence and bombs going off in the capital, public transport is stopped(domestic and international), curfews are brought in and people are on the brink of civil war..maybe even conducting it.
In strolls the Army and kicks out the elected government to thunderous applause. "Peace" and "stability" are restored.
We're now 3 years in and there's no sign democracy will ever come back...the army's plans are actually even more anti democratic with them writing a new constitution that gives the military carte blanche over future elections, PM's and governments. Scary stuff.

Think before you leap Brazil.

thsantos

These brazilians who are thinking of returning to a military dictatorship are not even 5% of the country. They're just a bunch of spoiled assholes who probably are related to militaries or heard stories of how the country was great between 64 and 85 by their elders. How can you know shit if all of your news channels were censored? They never knew at that time that the brazilian international debt was 4x it is today, not counting inflation. And it really bothers me when a majority of these people are from Rio. The military government was directly responsible for the rise of the organized crime during the dictatorship.

These same people often complain about taxes and costs in Brazil, not knowing that the military government scrapped our railways for newly constructed (and highly overpriced, illegally) roads that increased the costs of transportation massively.

And I'm not even talking about torture and deaths on police stations (there were lots of police stations found to be graveyards of tortured people)

M3d10n

These brazilians who are thinking of returning to a military dictatorship are not even 5% of the country. They're just a bunch of spoiled assholes who probably are related to militaries or heard stories of how the country was great between 64 and 85 by their elders. How can you know shit if all of your news channels were censored? They never knew at that time that the brazilian international debt was 4x it is today, not counting inflation. And it really bothers me when a majority of these people are from Rio. The military government was directly responsible for the rise of the organized crime during the dictatorship.

These same people often complain about taxes and costs in Brazil, not knowing that the military government scrapped our railways for newly constructed (and highly overpriced, illegally) roads that increased the costs of transportation massively.

And I'm not even talking about torture and deaths on police stations (there were lots of police stations found to be graveyards of tortured people)

What is crazy is that lots of such people keep spouting libertarian ideas too, when it was during the military rule that most of the overt protectionist legislation and taxes were set up. Back in the 80's it was literally illegal to sell imported computers and electronics: they had to be built nationally. This is why there were so many NES clones in Brazil: it was illegal to sell the actual NES.

The military pretty much decided to give up governing on their own because they were incompetent at it.

thsantos

What is crazy is that lots of such people keep spouting libertarian ideas too, when it was during the military rule that most of the overt protectionist legislation and taxes were set up. Back in the 80's it was literally illegal to sell imported computers and electronics: they had to be built nationally. This is why there were so many NES clones in Brazil: it was illegal to sell the actual NES.

The military pretty much decided to give up governing on their own because they were incompetent at it.

Yep. Shows the total lack of history knowledge of Brazil by brazilians. And it also shows why we're at a political crisis.

Platy

Also, should be noted that Brazil is the ONLY COUNTRY IN THE WORLD with a military dictatorship that never put a single military in jail or anything for their atrocities in the dictatorship time.

We had a general that put MICES IN WONENS GENITALS as a way of torture and he didn't payed anything.

Top Bottom