• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Pre-order Thread - iPhone 8, 8+, Watch Series 3, AppleTV 4K

Draper

I just wanted to like the 10, but I hate both Iris and facial recognition on the Galaxy. It works well, but it's just more work than a fingerprint, and the aspect ratio... Sure I want the extra screen, but not if it means I'm cutting off part of whatever I'm watching. This aspect ratio seems like it's the future though. It's amazing to browse the web. So maybe 1 or 2 years from now it'll be much better.

I just feel that if you have a 7 Plus, what exactly are you gaining from dropping $1000+?

The camera is essentially the same, the OS is exactly the same, the speed of the internals are phenomenal, but this is a locked system- what exactly can even remotely take advantage of the processing ability, you certainly won't see a difference in day to day usage. So, unless you love the idea of using your face as an unlocking feature or enjoy an intrusive notch on your screen- I don't see the point.

Maybe I'm just growing out of incremental tech upgrade hype.

Hopefully the Pixel 2 tries something new, but with the leaks, I seriously doubt it and I hate the idea of leaving iMessage

Pepiope

I just feel that if you have a 7 Plus, what exactly are you gaining from dropping $1000+?

The camera is essentially the same, the OS is exactly the same, the speed of the internals are phenomenal, but this is a locked system- what exactly can even remotely take advantage of the processing ability, you certainly won't see a difference in day to day usage. So, unless you love the idea of using your face as an unlocking feature or enjoy an intrusive notch on your screen- I don't see the point.

Hopefully the Pixel 2 tries something new, but with the leaks, I seriously doubt it and I hate the idea of leaving iMessage
The X just isn't that appealing. It will still be a great phone, and I'm sure faceID will work as advertised, but it's still not as good as what's already available in my opinion.

I'm just happy they offered the 8+ which is essentially the same phone. The only downside is no OLED, but I can live with that.

JayB1920

Assuming someone is on a yearly upgrade program then cost may not be an issue. As for the cameras being the same that’s not true. Significantly better dynamic range and the slow sync flash are welcome improvements.

Look at these examples:

https://ibb.co/gf3D4Q
https://ibb.co/gmEaJk
https://ibb.co/jqs6PQ

There is also the OIS and f2.4 aperture on the iPhone X telephoto lens which should make it useable in lower light situations which is nearly impossible on the iPhone 7+.

ramyeon

Been waiting all day for the driver to deliver my 8 Plus... Alone at the office and have a feeling if I step out for 5 minutes to get food I'll miss him.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Assuming someone is on a yearly upgrade program then cost may not be an issue. As for the cameras being the same that’s not true. Significantly better dynamic range and the slow sync flash are welcome improvements.

Look at these examples:

There is also the OIS and f2.4 aperture on the iPhone X telephoto lens which should make it useable in lower light situations which is nearly impossible on the iPhone 7+.

And it has dual cameras. So if you’re comparing with the 8 (which is the closest in physical size) then that could be a significant difference.

Vuze

iPhone is out for delivery, hype 🙌
ATV hasn’t been shipped though, sort of a bummer resellers are always so late on new Apple products

StillEdge

So I preordered the 8 through the online Apple upgrade program have an appointment for tomorrow but now I'm considering keeping the 7 or renewing my AUP with the X. When I go to cancel on the website it says this item can't be cancelled. I am okay if I'm stuck with the 8, but did anyone change their mind last year on the AUP is it possible or am I picking up an 8 tomorrow.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
crossposting from the X thread, but I just wondered if the glass back is flat, that might mean more options for changing the look with replacement backs - coloured stickers or tempered glass backs (doubling up as protection too). Would be nice to have a non-black back with a black front.

Vuze

😳
BsnvJId.jpg

Noooo, regulations are printed on the back (German model)
But it looks HOT. Much like Jet Black depending on the angle and light
Really grippy too. And it’s not as large as I feared it would be tbh, still comfortable

robotrock

Banned
😳

Noooo, regulations are printed on the back (German model)
But it looks HOT. Much like Jet Black depending on the angle and light
Really grippy too. And it’s not as large as I feared it would be tbh, still comfortable
how's that weight

StoopKid

Look at these examples:

The upgrade from my 6 to this

wow.png

dorn.

So I just received my Apple Watch Series 3 and that shit is going straight back to Apple. The gold tone is nothing like the one on series two that I tried on and how it was presented in pictures, it is pink as hell. Doesn‘t look good on me at all :-/

Blackhead

Redarse
So I just received my Apple Watch Series 3 and that shit is going straight back to Apple. The gold tone is nothing like the one on series two that I tried on and how it was presented in pictures, it is pink as hell. Doesn‘t look good on me at all :-/
Please share real world pics with us

holygeesus

Banned
Apple continue to give and take away with the new Apple TV. Turns out you can only stream not download 4K movies, which might be a big deal for those with poor internet speeds. They then say they are charging the same price as the HD equivalent, which is very good news, but even so.

Then it turns out that the device supports 24Hz mode this time round - great news.....except when it comes to Dolby Vision. Why?

^^^ that is a rose-gold Apple Watch surely?

giga

Apple continue to give and take away with the new Apple TV. Turns out you can only stream not download 4K movies, which might be a big deal for those with poor internet speeds. They then say they are charging the same price as the HD equivalent, which is very good news, but even so.

Then it turns out that the device supports 24Hz mode this time round - great news.....except when it comes to Dolby Vision. Why?

^^^ that is a rose-gold Apple Watch surely?
That’s not new for the ATV. It was always a streaming device and didn’t allow downloading.

holygeesus

Banned
That's not new for the ATV. It was always a streaming device and didn't allow downloading.

Good point. However you can't download in iTunes or any other way either, unlike HD material. If you have slow speeds, you could download to Mac and stream via your network. This takes away that option.

giga

Good point. However you can't download in iTunes or any other way either, unlike HD material. If you have slow speeds, you could download to Mac and stream via your network. This takes away that option.
Right. That was noted in the iOS 11 thread. Speculation is that it’s a studio demand for lower prices. I’m sticking to ripping blu rays and digital copies.

Vuze

Not being able to put a 5th app in the Plus model dock feels like such a waste especially after using the iOS 11 iPad dock for a while.

Btw make sure to enable HEVC. I was a bit surprised to find myself stuck at 4k30 and 1080p120 but for some reason it defaulted to "Highest compatibility". Now 4k60 and 1080p240 is a go.

I'm on iUP so I get a new phone every year, same payment. All I give up is the amount that I could sell the phone for after two years (~$200).

It's one of my most used computers. I'll take whatever performance improvements I can get.

Yeah I saw the new phones in the store today (Australia) the new gold iPhone leans far more towards rose gold (pink) than traditional gold also.

Quick

Banned
Placed an order on an 8 Plus and the official leather case. Both should arrive by mid or late next week. 😱

I was going to get the Apple Watch but decided to get a new phone instead. I figured it was time to upgrade from my iPhone 6. I was thinking of getting a 7 Plus, but was ultimately set on the 8 Plus.

Jetku

In Freehold NJ the Apple store opens in 5 minutes and there’s only like 30 people here. This crowd is NOTHING compared to a typical launch.

I’m here for the watch!

Novocaine

Got my 8 in the mail today, it’s weird adjusting from an SE. I have to stretch my hand to reach the opposing top corner of the screen again. I like it though

MercuryLS3

Got my 8 in the mail today, it’s weird adjusting from an SE. I have to stretch my hand to reach the opposing top corner of the screen again. I like it though

How's the grippiness with the glass back? Do you feel that the phone is pretty secure in the hand?

Did they expand video rental periods to 48 hours with the most recent contract negotiation, or has it always been per-video?

I rented Wonder Woman last night, and was surprised to see it has a 48-hour rental period.

That's awesome, as I would often watch half a movie, go to bed, and then not a have a chance to finish it before the rental period expired.

Vuze

How's the grippiness with the glass back? Do you feel that the phone is pretty secure in the hand?
Super grippy compared to the back of my 5S. I've never handled a Plus sized phone before but have no concerns whatsoever that it would slip out of my hand.

aravuus

So the main differences between 8 and 8 Plus are: display (obv) and its resolution, battery capacity and camera (Plus has a dual camera thing), Plus has a gig more of RAM? Otherwise they're exactly the same?

I'm planning on getting an iPhone around Christmas and trying to decide between 8 and 8 Plus.

On one hand, I'm starting to feel like the 5.5 inch display of my OP3 is just too big, and maybe a 4.7 inch display would be better for one-hand use. On the other hand, I'm looking for a smooth, fast experience and good battery life, so maybe I should still go for the Plus, with its bigger battery and more RAM? Is the battery life and/or overall smoothness of the experience generally noticeably better on the Plus?

Novocaine

Super grippy compared to the back of my 5S. I've never handled a Plus sized phone before but have no concerns whatsoever that it would slip out of my hand.

Agree with above. The aluminum on then SE was super slippery for me. The glass feels much more secure in the hand.

MercuryLS3

Agree with above. The aluminum on then SE was super slippery for me. The glass feels much more secure.

Yeah I have an SE and it's only secure in my hand due to the small size, you can grip it due to that. The aluminum doesn't do it any favours. Looking forward to getting my hands on this today.

Store opening queues are different because of timeslots.. Not same excitement but hard to know the reality as they changed the system.

Picked up my 8 plus and got tempted into airpods.. Pretty happy overall.

DonShula

Who else is taking the case they’ve been using for a year off of their iPhone and pretending they have a new phone

That's me.

I also switch between different colored Apple cases. Bam - new phone.

My 6 Plus's lock button broke and I've been without it for a month. Finally going to pick it up today. Been using an SE in the meantime. It'll feel like a new phone for sure.

DonShula

So the main differences between 8 and 8 Plus are: display (obv) and its resolution, battery capacity and camera (Plus has a dual camera thing), Plus has a gig more of RAM? Otherwise they're exactly the same?

I'm planning on getting an iPhone around Christmas and trying to decide between 8 and 8 Plus.

On one hand, I'm starting to feel like the 5.5 inch display of my OP3 is just too big, and maybe a 4.7 inch display would be better for one-hand use. On the other hand, I'm looking for a smooth, fast experience and good battery life, so maybe I should still go for the Plus, with its bigger battery and more RAM? Is the battery life and/or overall smoothness of the experience generally noticeably better on the Plus?

I have decent sized American hands for reference, and there is absolutely a usability threshold between the 4.7 and 5.5. I can use the 4.7 one-handed, but the 5.5 requires two hands or some awkward and unnatural reaching with one hand that might compromise your ability to keep the phone secure. I adapted to it, but the 5.5 not ideal for one-hand use.

I don't recall any striking difference in battery life between the 4.7 and 5.5. I didn't have a 4.7 very long, so I may have simply not noticed. For what it's worth, my 6+ battery lasts noticeably longer at 3 years than my work phone SE at one year. There's no substitute for having that gigantic battery.

Top Bottom