• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |eSports| 4444 Life

Anne

It's interesting how he makes the point that in 2/3 characters with explosive combos that kill from low % are favored in this format.

I don't think people talk enough in general about how format affects tiers. IMO you can have radically different tier lists for the same game based on format alone. 3S is the perfect example of this.

Dahbomb

I don't think people talk enough in general about how format affects tiers. IMO you can have radically different tier lists for the same game based on format alone. 3S is the perfect example of this.
I think most tier lists are made with longer sets in mind (hence why we have the 6-4 type match up charts). Hence why quite some time the theory tier lists don't match up with results. Not to mention difference in execution and the punishment from missing execution.

If EVO was a FT10, KBR might not have won EVO. His team is bad in long sets against teams that counter his but in shorter sets he can blow them out. A 7-3 match up doesn't matter as much in a 3/5 set, those 3 wins could be the first one in the set giving you a 3-0 win.

Not to mention the tilt factor as Zero pointed out. You get blown out by a character who is lower tier in spectacular fashion and your whole game gets thrown because now you are in a losing position and you get cornered into play more defensive and safe. This is less of a factor if this was like a FT10 where both players take risk, use more options and set ups so there is less chance of gimmicks winning out in the end.

CO_Andy

15-chun-lis-face-improved-evo-build-marvel-vs-capcom-infinite-seen-_cPHhXaQ.jpg

old said:

does this really look improved?

Lulubop

Nothing changed for the evo build, not sure why anyone thinks so.

In case you missed it, Ono called out Chun's face today at comiccon. Yea Ono, so of course it's the same.

Sayad

15-chun-lis-face-improved-evo-build-marvel-vs-capcom-infinite-seen-_cPHhXaQ.jpg

does this really look improved?
Even Capcom pretty much confirmed it isn't by saying it'd be fixed with day 1 patch, who's still saying it's improved?!

Yipes making snark jokes about "shills" got funnier in retrospective though, between the "Chun face looks fine now" and Champ's great acting.

Lulubop

Even Capcom pretty much confirmed it isn't by saying it'd be fixed with day 1 patch, who's still saying it's improved?!

Yipes making snark jokes about "shills" got funnier in retrospective though, between the "Chun face looks fine now" and Champ's great acting.

Champ' s reaction kills me.

Deimo5

Zero brings up a point about character/playstyle bias on how it affects players:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mlv0pPiwMVY

I think he has a legit point here. Players getting hated on because they play lame/defensive characters is hurtful because it affects their revenue and sponsorships. It might be the salt talking from him but I think there is some truth to what he's saying.

It's a form of entertainment. If you have an unentertaining playstyle, you have to live with that. There are plenty of people across a range of individual sports that have been lambasted for being boring, despite how successful they might be.

It's a form of entertainment. If you have an unentertaining playstyle, you have to live with that. There are plenty of people across a range of individual sports that have been lambasted for being boring, despite how successful they might be.

No matter which fighting game we're talking about the players are the priority. Spectators should be glad they even get to see any high level play and don't get to say shit, because the players don't compete for their entertainment. This is why trying to bring players in as if this was the case is a mistake. People who are new should have been taught that but haven't because too many players have been acting desperate to get new players into fighting games and that shit backfires.

VariantX

I wish Eventhubs would die off already for a better website.

Eventhubs exists because enough people are happy with it as it is. They don't need it to be better, they need a place to shitpost and argue with each other in the comments under nearly every article posted there.

I buy a lotta fighting games for a casual player.

questions

1. does KOF 2000 have an assist system like mahvel? the trailer looks like it
  2. is KOF 2000 made by 98team or was this during SNKs downfall/buy out
  3. does KOF XIV still have an active community?

Deimo5

No matter which fighting game we're talking about the players are the priority. Spectators should be glad they even get to see any high level play and don't get to say shit, because the players don't compete for their entertainment. This is why trying to bring players in as if this was the case is a mistake. People who are new should have been taught that but haven't because too many players have been acting desperate to get new players into fighting games and that shit backfires.

This is the e-sports era though. Spectators do get to say shit, because if nobody watches, these people who want to play video games as a primary source of income cannot do so.

When it gets to this stage, being a money draw matters more than being the best. Often they go hand in hand, but it's not always the case. Look at Daigo slapped with more sponsors than a nascar race, meanwhile his results aren't anything special these days.

All this only applies if you want to play video games full time and be an e-sports star, which Zero seems to want to be at least. You are in the entertainment business now, so don't complain if some people don't want to invest in your boring playstyle.

Lemstar

John D @#SDCC‏ @diamonon

The key 2 success of FGC esports is supporting & creating stars.The bigger stars we have, the bigger the sport. Players & content creators.

also, is maximilian ever going to acknowledge stealing content from people

Lulubop

John D @#SDCC‏ @diamonon

The key 2 success of FGC esports is supporting & creating stars.The bigger stars we have, the bigger the sport. Players & content creators.

also, is maximilian ever going to acknowledge stealing content from people

what did he steal?

Deimo5

Yeah, fuck that. This is a competition first. People who have no appreciation and refuse to develop one don't have to watch.

Who are you responding to though? Zero was specifcally talking about making money from playing Smash 4.
If you just want to say having a profit first mindset damages the experience for core fans, then sure I agree. Personally I think I have already seen a more developed case with pro tennis so no doubts it's a real problem.

Who are you responding to though? Zero was specifcally talking about making money from playing Smash 4.
If you just want to say having a profit first mindset damages the experience for core fans, then sure I agree. Personally I think I have already seen a more developed case with pro tennis so no doubts it's a real problem.

What I mean is the way people have gone about bringing people in, emphasizing hype over an understanding of how fighting games can be played at the highest level, is how it all came to bite players in the ass. People come in with twisted expectations, and because there are so many of them holding such views it's getting increasingly difficult to shut the nonsense down and rectify this.

The plan was most likely to get eyes on the games like "they'll come for the hype and stay for the depth" but that didn't work anywhere near as well as expected, and now you they come with demands on top of it.

shaowebb

I don't know what Ian is referring to, but I don't really think putting footage from a tourney in a video about moments from that tourney is stealing.

Kind of how I feel about it. Whats next...coming down on WEBMs, gifs, and twitch clips people post from a tourney?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I don't know what Ian is referring to, but I don't really think putting footage from a tourney in a video about moments from that tourney is stealing.
Yeah I don't know the specific claims, but if it's using original content in an original way (i.e. creating top lists) then it's kosher according to DMCA, but if they request removal they have to comply IIRC (but maybe not even?). I'm the furthest thing from an expert on this stuff though.

.la1n

MvCi currently reminds me of SF V when it comes to art direction. Some of the assets look great in the new build while other stuff looks awful. If a day one patch can tighten up some of the loose ends I think it will look nice overall.

I am a bit bummed by the line up but to be fair; if it was just the UMvC3 roster but with the new mechanics I'd be okay with it. As it stands we at least have a few new characters. Unfortunately we've lost most of my favorites thanks to Fox fiasco. A situation that could be corrected with DLC.

I am at least interested now which is more than I could say a few months ago.

MechaX

Now that I am catching up on a lot of the EVO top 8, and specifically watching Xrd, I am glad a Jack-O player made top 8 (even if he got blown the fuck up for the most part). My friends hate it when I pick that girl and all I do is throw up houses and turtle until minions flood the screen.

Tekken's top 8 seems to... decrease in hype the further I got into it? I dunno, not too big on Jack-7.

Blazblue was just meh, meh, meh all around for me, pools up to grand finals. Arakune is just such a fucking lame character to watch sometimes.

Sayad

I hate watching Carl and I still loved the grand final even though my whole experience with BB is playing BB:CS with a friend for about three weeks.

Xhorder

Blazblue was just meh, meh, meh all around for me, pools up to grand finals. Arakune is just such a fucking lame character to watch sometimes.

It was the opposite for me. BB was one of the few finals I was able to catch live (I never even really played the game). My girlfriend was watching with me and she was just as excited about the match. I loved the final match!

NEO0MJ

Tekken's top 8 seems to... decrease in hype the further I got into it? I dunno, not too big on Jack-7.

People need to figure out JCDR and Saint because the current situation can't continue. They're just too dominant right now and make for a boring T7 tournament finale.

pizzacat

Banned
Even pools for tekken was exciting

I'm ok with gf being zzz (not even when these are in fact the two best rob- humans playing)

There's never a time where watching heihachi or drag is boring

Saints Jack is fun to watch even

CO_Andy

could this potentially be the end of Capcom with ArcSys releasing not one but two Marvel killers, and then a League of Legends fighter that'll devour Street Fighter in esports revenue?

Dahbomb

could this potentially be the end of Capcom with ArcSys releasing not one but two Marvel killers, and then a League of Legends fighter that'll devour Street Fighter in esports revenue?
You should work for Eventhubs writing sensational headers like that.

Need I remind you of one thing?

Only a Marvel game can kill a Marvel game.

Top Bottom