• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT5| Is HaloGAF irrelevant now?

Why does social team skirmish demand half a can of anti-perspirant per match in this game? Why is it as hardcore as the old H3 MLG playlist? Why is it harder than Ranked team arena?

Why does social team skirmish demand half a can of anti-perspirant per match in this game? Why is it as hardcore as the old H3 MLG playlist? Why is it harder than Ranked team arena?
Yeah I got into a game where some dude got 65 kills on us and purposefully stalled the match to get more kills. I don't think Halo 5 has much of a casual fanbase left in Arena so that may be contributing to the horribly uneven skill matching.

Yeah I got into a game where some dude got 65 kills on us and purposefully stalled the match to get more kills. I don't think Halo 5 has much of a casual fanbase left in Arena so that may be contributing to the horribly uneven skill matching.

Honestly I can't blame people for smurfing in this game. I went through the effort to set up another account about a year ago and the game was so much more playable playing normal human beings. Forgot the password to that account though.

Playing on my main and only account tonight, I basically wasn't allowed to miss a shot in social skirmish. Ranked arena was far more forgiving.

woah, my halo 5 straight up froze just now, never seen that happen before!

game just got stuck on a frozen frame, i could press the xbox home / menu button to get back to the dash and quit out the software, but that was new!

I think Halo can take a big step forward in terms of popularity with 1 major move, a proper map editor on PC akin to official development tools. You could then conceivably have any map in Halo 6 you wanted at a high level of quality. It'd be the next natural step forward going off of forge and it'd be a pretty unique feature among major shooters. Look at the success of Skyrim and how long it has lasted due to proper developer support on mods. Developer maps are already free, so it's not like it's taking a cut out of revenue, cosmetic items could still exist. While the Xbox One would lack this feature, maps could be curated by 343 and added to the game on Xbox. This is the kind of thinking Halo needs, not "keeping up with trends" make trends, set the bar for the genre.

I think Halo can take a big step forward in terms of popularity with 1 major move, a proper map editor on PC akin to official development tools. You could then conceivably have any map in Halo 6 you wanted at a high level of quality. It'd be the next natural step forward going off of forge and it'd be a pretty unique feature among major shooters. Look at the success of Skyrim and how long it has lasted due to proper developer support on mods. Developer maps are already free, so it's not like it's taking a cut out of revenue, cosmetic items could still exist. While the Xbox One would lack this feature, maps could be curated by 343 and added to the game on Xbox. This is the kind of thinking Halo needs, not "keeping up with trends" make trends, set the bar for the genre.

This sounds like a good idea! Really helps build a community too.

Let's take it a step further: Why just do multiplayer maps? How about they add AI scripting and enemies. Then the community can make their own fucking Halo campaign levels. That would be absolutely nuts, especially since you know mega fans will recreate all the levels from Halo 1-3.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
This sounds like a good idea! Really helps build a community too.

Let's take it a step further: Why just do multiplayer maps? How about they add AI scripting and enemies. Then the community can make their own fucking Halo campaign levels. That would be absolutely nuts, especially since you know mega fans will recreate all the levels from Halo 1-3.

Creating campaign levels from the Lore outside of 1-3 would be cool.

The problem of balancing between Warzone and BTB would be mitigated when the community could build proper maps. With how modular the game already is, people could design their maps around classic gameplay and easily disable spartan abilities in the menu. One common concern, such a feature would cannibalize future Halos. This wouldn't be a problem if the next game was a significant visual upgrade and added in mechanics that alienate the fan base. Couple this with the server browser and people could play whatever they wanted.

Woorloog

Banned
Creating campaign levels from the Lore outside of 1-3 would be cool.

I always wanted scenarios and levels based on various Halo expanded universe works as DLC/expansions. Like the scene from The First Strike, where Fred and others hijack Banshees, fly over a Covie base and throw a nuke into a Covie ship.

This is why liked the Spartan Ops conceptually in Halo 4, i thought it would make stuff like that possible. Unfortunately that was not to be. (EDIT Still actually disappointed we never got a second season. For all its flaws, it was kinda fun.)

Multiplayer levels do make good campaign levels though. While open terrain is nice, campaign levels need certain size, a feel of progression, something MP levels don't really allow. Spartan Ops made this clear. They may fit Firefight-style scenarios but... don't think more of those are needed really.
Not to mention, i really don't want to see exactly same places in MP and single player. Similar setting, neighboring area, something like that is fine if assets need to be shared. But please, i don't want a campaign level set on Valhalla/Ragnarok.

E92 M3

ITT people are still trying to reason with Zeus and E92. I'd rather play Halo 3 SWAT with Magnum starts on Sandtrap and Bubble Shields replacing every pickup.

meme.gif

"Halo: Custom Edition 2 - We don't know what you bastards want, so do it yourselves!"

Well they only have so much time, money, and staff to work with for multiplayer. Maybe now that they have a core gameplay formula that enough players seem to be satisfied with, they can put less money towards R&D and more towards maps. But three Warzone, three Warzone Assault, and eight Arena maps are a lot to design and test, and they weren't able to fully deliver on that without using "remixes" to get away with saving money by reducing assets. If this is the standard going forward, it's going to be hard to fit BTB in at launch. Personally, I'd like to see them outsource the task to someone like Certain Affinity to get three BTB maps at either launch or a couple months in, but that still requires the money. And given that, BTB Forge maps look like a pretty good compromise in 343i's eyes, so there's now even less incentive to make proper BTB.
I don't see what would be hard about designing btb maps in addition to warzone maps. More time? Maybe, but a lot of ground work has already been finished in regard to making halo 6. And halo is known for surpassing what people think is possible anyway. I've been wanting 343 to go all out on matchmaking maps for a loooong time, but it has yet to happen... Just seems like a no brainer. And give up on trying to do new gametypes too. I wish breakout would disappear never to return again. Focus on making what you already have, good. 343 needs to really focus on story and campaign because that is an area a lot of people have been disappointed in for the last two games. Split screen local coop anyone? Then they need to get busy with a better more streamlined UI, and a better matchmaking experience overall. Which should include a ton of maps - A TON. This is not rocket science. Honestly I'm not even sure I want anything new and innovative for halo 6. Anything that distracts from focusing on the core game seems like a bad idea and a waste of resources.

Warzone while fun should not be a replacement for btb. 343 failed on that front with halo 5. Matchmaking needs a lot more and better made maps. None of this reused and alternate map variants. And as far as forge is concerned I'm just massively disappointed in it. Dont care about the quality of forge if I rarely see the maps in matchmaking. Not just social and niche gametypes, I want to see them in ranked play. If that isn't gonna happen then forget about it.

I still deplore the ranking system but whatever on that. Also Halo 6 better have a lone wolves playlist. Sick and tired of that not being included. Wake the eff up 343 lol.

JlNX

I don't see what would be hard about designing btb maps in addition to warzone maps. More time? Maybe, but a lot of ground work has already been finished in regard to making halo 6. And halo is known for surpassing what people think is possible anyway. I've been wanting 343 to go all out on matchmaking maps for a loooong time, but it has yet to happen... Just seems like a no brainer. And give up on trying to do new gametypes too. I wish breakout would disappear never to return again. Focus on making what you already have, good. 343 needs to really focus on story and campaign because that is an area a lot of people have been disappointed in for the last two games. Split screen local coop anyone? Then they need to get busy with a better more streamlined UI, and a better matchmaking experience overall. Which should include a ton of maps - A TON. This is not rocket science. Honestly I'm not even sure I want anything new and innovative for halo 6. Anything that distracts from focusing on the core game seems like a bad idea and a waste of resources.

Warzone while fun should not be a replacement for btb. 343 failed on that front with halo 5. Matchmaking needs a lot more and better made maps. None of this reused and alternate map variants. And as far as forge is concerned I'm just massively disappointed in it. Dont care about the quality of forge if I rarely see the maps in matchmaking. Not just social and niche gametypes, I want to see them in ranked play. If that isn't gonna happen then forget about it.

I still deplore the ranking system but whatever on that. Also Halo 6 better have a lone wolves playlist. Sick and tired of that not being included. Wake the eff up 343 lol.

While you may prefer BTB over Warzone and logically to you BTB is more important, Warzone is still the most popular mode in Halo 5 if anything they should build of it and make it even bigger (listen to feedback.) Get it closer to that huge scale battle of a Battlefield, have playable elites and Forerunners as the enemy team. The best thing 343 could do to help keep BTB and arena fans happy is to have all purpose maps, which are very difficult to design and while I don't know if 343 would be up to the challenge based on 5's maps I think they should give it a go. The way Warzones maps are designed would make it a lot easier and it would probably end up giving the maps a lot more variety in terms of layout as well as art direction. While Warzone maps would have to get a lot larger and more modular, if you look at ARC you could have the inside of garage be a arena map (larger) with the area around the garage having all the the tunnels, bases and team spawn closed off to use as a BTB map were garage is removed from the map (modular.) Even sanctum is a good example, have the inside of temple be a arena map and the outside a warzone map. Really Maps in general would have to be a lot bigger, more varied, modular and complex but the end result is one map being able to facilitate 3 maps for 3 different modes.

While you may prefer BTB over Warzone and logically to you BTB is more important, Warzone is still the most popular mode in Halo 5 if anything they should build of it and make it even bigger (listen to feedback.) Get it closer to that huge scale battle of a Battlefield, have playable elites and Forerunners as the enemy team. The best thing 343 could do to help keep BTB and arena fans happy is to have all purpose maps, which are very difficult to design and while I don't know if 343 would be up to the challenge based on 5's maps I think they should give it a go. The way Warzones maps are designed would make it a lot easier and it would probably end up giving the maps a lot more variety in terms of layout as well as art direction. While Warzone maps would have to get a lot larger and more modular, if you look at ARC you could have the inside of garage be a arena map (larger) with the area around the garage having all the the tunnels, bases and team spawn closed off to use as a BTB map were garage is removed from the map (modular.) Even sanctum is a good example, have the inside of temple be a arena map and the outside a warzone map. Really Maps in general would have to be a lot bigger, more varied, modular and complex but the end result is one map being able to facilitate 3 maps for 3 different modes.
Im not necessarily saying one is more important than the other. If anything Im saying they're equally important. It can easily be argued though that 343 dropped the ball with btb in halo 5
and still are dropping the ball
. It was like an after thought in comparison to warzone. Of course its understandable that warzone got a lot of attention. I just want more maps in halo 6 and that's not a ridiculous request. I don't think modular maps is going to appease halo fans nor is having 2 versions of each map. Sure, it would make it easier on devs, but halo 6 needs to have both good and unique maps for warzone and btb. Reusing assets is going to win 343 very few points in halo 6.

Just tried Warzone for the first time in a while and man, late-game Warzone is horrible. First of all, there's a huge balance discrepancy between players due to the RNG element and time played, new players or casual players have little to work with compared to more dedicated players or people who dump tons of money on Gold Packs. Then to add to that initial discrepancy, the more skilled and seasoned players are more likely to be in a Spartan Company or playing together in groups, creating natural imbalances in player skill that aren't regulated very well by whatever system 343i has in place. And don't even get me started on Boss stealing.

For example, I just tried playing on Darkstar with a much of randoms, and since I don't play Warzone all that often, my REQ stash is very low. So you have players running around with Legendary weapons and spawning in Legendary vehicles with no one on my team (including myself) being able to adequately counter. One player was able to get ~50 kills by camping the Fortress area of the map with a Hannibal Mantis, and we couldn't do anything about it because that player's REQ stash heavily outclassed our own.

Maybe it's because I'm a more casual but dedicated late-game player, but all this bullshit is a huge turnoff from Warzone for me and really makes me long for old school BTB to return. Warzone has a lot of potential since it is fun when it works and nice to have all aspects of Halo in one mode, but so much of it's design is poorly suited for the long run and gives me no incentive to return because I do not feel like I can get a fair fight out of this.

I don't give Warzone that much thought so I don't have any recommendations to fix the mode, and I know scrapping it is out of the question due to the mode's popularity, but hopefully these frustrations will be kept in mind for Halo 6 because I know others have been feeling it for a long while, too.

Just tried Warzone for the first time in a while and man, late-game Warzone is horrible. First of all, there's a huge balance discrepancy between players due to the RNG element and time played, new players or casual players have little to work with compared to more dedicated players or people who dump tons of money on Gold Packs. Then to add to that initial discrepancy, the more skilled and seasoned players are more likely to be in a Spartan Company or playing together in groups, creating natural imbalances in player skill that aren't regulated very well by whatever system 343i has in place. And don't even get me started on Boss stealing.

For example, I just tried playing on Darkstar with a much of randoms, and since I don't play Warzone all that often, my REQ stash is very low. So you have players running around with Legendary weapons and spawning in Legendary vehicles with no one on my team (including myself) being able to adequately counter. One player was able to get ~50 kills by camping the Fortress area of the map with a Hannibal Mantis, and we couldn't do anything about it because that player's REQ stash heavily outclassed our own.

Maybe it's because I'm a more casual but dedicated late-game player, but all this bullshit is a huge turnoff from Warzone for me and really makes me long for old school BTB to return. Warzone has a lot of potential since it is fun when it works and nice to have all aspects of Halo in one mode, but so much of it's design is poorly suited for the long run and gives me no incentive to return because I do not feel like I can get a fair fight out of this.

I don't give Warzone that much thought so I don't have any recommendations to fix the mode, and I know scrapping it is out of the question due to the mode's popularity, but hopefully these frustrations will be kept in mind for Halo 6 because I know others have been feeling it for a long while, too.

Warzone's got issues, but then this shit happens and I smile:
http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/MyExWlFE/video/34303746

EDIT: And this shit happens and I just have to laugh at myself:
http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/MyExWlFE/video/34303811

Fuchsdh

I definitely think Warzone could use some additional refinement. I'll admit, part of the fun is stomping on everyone else because you called in some big REQs (or schadenfreude from taking out some expensive item the other team calls in) but I agree it can sometimes feel like too much of a shutout. I don't think that's an innate problem with Warzone itself though, but rather map design and individual balancing of vehicles and weapons.

Warzone needs more dynamic map elements, imo. Been playing a bunch of Heroes of the Storm lately, having maps more like those (in the sense that they've got big, map-altering gimmicks) than regular Halo maps would improve Warzone a bunch. Means you could play to the objective a lot more than having to just out-fight the other team.

Other than that, evening out the REQ curve, fixing some of the problematic balance elements, all that... would go a ways.

I definitely think Warzone could use some additional refinement. I'll admit, part of the fun is stomping on everyone else because you called in some big REQs (or schadenfreude from taking out some expensive item the other team calls in) but I agree it can sometimes feel like too much of a shutout. I don't think that's an innate problem with Warzone itself though, but rather map design and individual balancing of vehicles and weapons.

No I definitely agree on that part, it is very satisfying and fun to use some wild REQs on other players, but I do think it needs some refinement to make that kind of fun more accessible to the larger fanbase and in turn, more fair. I think implementing a vehicle regulation system similar to what Battlefield 1 has may help do the trick in preventing vehicle domination of another team. This could be done by creating vehicle tier or types, where team members could only call in x amount depending on the map, so that you wouldn't have to worry about the other team having 4 banshees, 4, tanks, and a couple Mantis's all at once, especially if they are stronger REQ versions.

Map design could help as well. The fact that someone can get into the back on an infantry focused combat zone - like the Fortress of Stormbreak or Darkstar - with a Hannibal Mantis is stupid. Not only can the Mantis use the back wall and ramp as an advantage to prevent highjacking, but clear, tight lanes and a lack of vehicle mobility in that section of the map allow the player to make quick work of everyone spawning in trying to kill it. Also, on maps like Noctus, there is barely any infantry cover protecting you from air vehicles, resulting in complete aerial domination at times.

Warzone's got issues, but then this shit happens and I smile:
http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/MyExWlFE/video/34303746

EDIT: And this shit happens and I just have to laugh at myself:
http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/MyExWlFE/video/34303811

And those moments are fantastic and I love to see that kind of sandbox fun in Halo, but Warzone needs some serious rebalancing so that more players can have that kind of fun, and it's not just the heavy spenders or committed players that are given the proper resources to do that.

Fuchsdh

Vehicle maxes have been floated as a possible solution on here before, although I think that could feel more frustrating rather than less ("Only our BKs have vehicles and I have to wait until they get themselves killed to call in my vehicle to help turn the tide, but I guess I should spawn in and—or they're dead, let me get to a REQ station and—oh, they already called in more.")

I think map design and vehicle balance address most of those concerns. You could have alternate infantry paths that are more sheltered from the air to prevent domination on Noctus; Darkstar should have a blocker so Wasps can't sit above the Fortress and hide there; all the maps should have at least two ways out of the fortress so you have to split forces if you want to camp it; Banshees not having bombs or tying bombs to burst gauge so you can only do one or the other and not both instantly solves the problem with it being OP, etc.

I can't think of a time I've been overrun by the enemy where the above issues wouldn't have solved it. In particular, the fact there's no way over the horseshoe on ARC always annoys the heck out of me. Even better, if you made them closed off so you couldn't fit anything too large through them you create areas that aerial vehicles cannot dominate. It's probably why Apex is still the best map; it's got a bunch of tunnels you can be safe from vehicles (or at least the vehicles make themselves a huge jacking target if you engage) bosses spawn across the map rather than concentrated in a small area, and you've got alternate exits out of the base so it's much harder to get bottled in (though it does happen. Should have put man cannons up at the overlook points so you can bug out easily.)

Trup1aya

Warzone just needs a way to make people useful even if they aren't deploying or don't have a lot of reqs.

The first order of business give players more utility off spawn. 1st the pistol should have more utility off spawn. People shouldn't HAVE to upgrade in this area in order to be competitive through the whole match. Obviously switching to the various BRs, DMRs, Carbines, LRs etc, should have pros, but it shouldn't be mandatory.

The next order of business is to tweak vehicles physics and damage models so that infantry can have a fighting chance. Off spawn I should be able to flip ghosts and warthogs with expertly placed frags, and I should be able to ward off flying vehicles with expertly placed shots. I'm not saying make starting weapons dominate vehicles, I'm saying off spawn, people should have a fighting chance. They shouldn't be totally helpless.

Remove the scorecard from Warzone and only show the player's personal stats like in Overwatch; that may deter some stat-padding. And give way more points for objectives. Just shower players with high fives and pats on the back.

Trup1aya

Remove the scorecard from Warzone and only show the player's personal stats like in Overwatch; that may deter some stat-padding. And give way more points for objectives. Just shower players with high fives and pats on the back.

That would help a lot ( as would minimizing the imact of Spartan kills), but it would only go so far.

Even without the stats, You still have the problem of spawn killing, and the hopelessness of players being forced to use basic weapons against godly ones.

belushy

Banned
And nothing will change. Its obvious that esports isnt really a 343 interest. No reason we should still be with esl after the constant fuck ups.

Trup1aya

And nothing will change. Its obvious that esports isnt really a 343 interest. No reason we should still be with esl after the constant fuck ups.

I'd say esports obviously IS a 343 interest. They just dumped $200,000K into this tournaments prize pool, and had like 93 teams show up.

What isn't obvious is why they chose to sign ESL and a bunch of unproven little guys and shun MLG ever since regionals 2016,

There are also some technical decisions that have been hamstringing Halo5 as a competitive title since launch. This whole "needing to use devkits and massive data lines to run Open events because the game doesn't have LAN support" thing is unacceptable. It kinda explains why 343/ESL were so anti-open LAN at the start.

Anyway, the plan for dreamhack atl was awesome, and the downtime and subsequent truncated series and streamtime was unfortunate and not really anyone's fault... but having LAN support would have made it much less of an issue. They gave Murphy's law an opening, and it struck.

343 should really look at what the Gears esports coordinators are doing, because they are doing an AMAZING job.

Like seriously...gears events feel like they're at a much higher production value, never riddled with technical difficulties, entice viewership with interactive streaming format with prizes and lotteries, great relationships with the orgs.

I mean within the first month, they had team weapon skins for every fucking org.

And viewership on average is usually equal to, or higher than Halo! You know why? Because when you run a quality event, people stick around. The moment technical difficulties arose in a Halo stream, I bailed and watched something else because I'm unsure how long the difficulties will continue.

The fans are ultra passionate, and you have to meet them halfway. Throwing in a pile of money for the prizepool, and leaving everything else mediocre can only go so far.

343 should really look at what the Gears esports coordinators are doing, because they are doing an AMAZING job.

Like seriously...gears events feel like they're at a much higher production value, never riddled with technical difficulties, entice viewership with interactive streaming format with prizes and lotteries, great relationships with the orgs.

I mean within the first month, they had team weapon skins for every fucking org.

And viewership on average is usually equal to, or higher than Halo! You know why? Because when you run a quality event, people stick around. The moment technical difficulties arose in a Halo stream, I bailed and watched something else because I'm unsure how long the difficulties will continue.

The fans are ultra passionate, and you have to meet them halfway. Throwing in a pile of money for the prizepool, and leaving everything else mediocre can only go so far.
TC have been doing amazing job with their esports initiative even before Gears 4 came out.

Trup1aya

I'm pretty sure the data mining of Halo5 Forge revealed a ton of Org skins from orgs that participated in Worlds 2016 . 343 was slow on the draw and settled on a pro league format that made Halo uninteresting from an Org standpoint, so much of that went to waste.

They decided on a strange trickle release of skins. Launched with:

CLG (have since left Halo), EG, Optic. They released randomly released NV and Liquid skins, and didn't drop ALG skins until they were out of Pro League and were on the cusp of leaving Halo altogether(they've since left).

It seems woefully counter productive and unfair to handle things this way.

I would definitely say that any eSports success H5 might be having is in spite of 343's management of HCS, rather than because of it. The game is great, and enormously fun to watch, and the prize pools are fairly impressive, but other than that, it's a mess.

Really hope they go back to MLG with H6. And get some real expert support on their end too.

Top Bottom