• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade 2 official Japanese twitter account and website thread

Waji

I was hoping they were going to do another gameplay session of it at Treehouse. I'm a little disappointed in day 3 of Treehouse they didn't have a better variety.
Yes. They showed like 2 times Splatoon in a row but no more Xeno, it was sad.

But in the end I don't really care, now that I see a website already online as well as the tweeter account, I know I'll get the news I want.

- Last but not least, "Rich" is really bad at playing Xenoblade as he was already bad with XenobladeX back then, it doesn't help at all.
He's also wrong on many things. For X he said only voices could heal and that's as wrong as it can be.
For Xenoblade 2 he was at least wrong once when he said the "Launch" effect needed break or topple before (can't remember), but I saw it being triggered while no effect were active right before.

I agree with this. Well, I don't think he was necessarily bad, but probably more focused on explaining the mechanics instead of playing. There were a lot of times he left Arts unused that were ready, he was slow to react to Break/Topple bonuses, and he barely even switched Blades and instead mostly just stuck to a single one per battle. It just made it seem a lot slower than it probably could've been.

That said, I do think the biggest addition to slower combat will probably be how all Arts start a battle on cooldown. Combined with how they only build up from auto-attack swings, this pretty much means that any normal battle is guaranteed to start off with nothing but auto-attacking until the first Art is charged.

Yes. They showed like 2 times Splatoon in a row but no more Xeno, it was sad.

But in the end I don't really care, now that I see a website already online as well as the tweeter account, I know I'll get the news I want.

Yeah. Plus Nintendo will have another Direct on it or videos on YouTube.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
With that said, I do like seeing Monolith being able to try different things though.

Xenoblade: open world.
Xenoblade X: mature graphics and sci-fi.
Xenoblade 2: cartoonish art style.

They are mastering all areas. :)

Next: medieval? Poor Elder Scrolls, mo.

Medieval Xenoblade would be really cool. FFIX style? I hadn't even thought about it.

TheMoon

I agree with this. Well, I don't think he was necessarily bad, but probably more focused on explaining the mechanics instead of playing. There were a lot of times he left Arts unused that were ready, he was slow to react to Break/Topple bonuses, and he barely even switched Blades and instead mostly just stuck to a single one per battle. It just made it seem a lot slower than it probably could've been.

As I understood it, he left those arts unused because he was going for a specific combo.

Waji

That said, I do think the biggest addition to slower combat will probably be how all Arts start a battle on cooldown. Combined with how they only build up from auto-attack swings, this pretty much means that any normal battle is guaranteed to start off with nothing but auto-attacking until the first Art is charged.
I was actually mostly using arts as soon as they appeared without thinking much until late.
Of course he had to comment so it makes it harder (even I would have prefered less useless comments and more translation from Takahashi.

It might annoy lots of people if we're not able to begin the fight with arts directly but :
- There might be wit skills or even directly in the Arts upgrade, a way to unlock arts at the beginning, or even Blades.
- It's going to make the battles more strategic overall and if done well, make auto attack more useful in the whole game.

Thanks for doing this, OP. Hope the twitter gives updates on a regular basis!
I expect 1 or 2 tweets per week. That's what we got from X, minus a week here and there.
And there's the website updates too.
It would be really nice to be able to switch between characters during battle even at the cost of one part of the party gauge or whatever...

Rncewind

The boy meets girl story sounds shonen as fuck. But yeah, "boy meets girl and then goes on an adventure" is pretty much a classic recipe and I'll take it gladly.

this game is gonna be 120 % shounen

i mean monoliths prior games were always build on shounen tropes and the ammount of the seems to be increasing from game to game

Waji

this game is gonna be 120 % shounen

i mean monoliths prior games were always build on shounen tropes and the ammount of the seems to be increasing from game to game
X is less shônen than Xenoblade so... not really. but I see your point.

Xenoblade is still a pretty young series so it's impossible to really think much about it yet.

takriel

The music is so good. I was instantly reminded of the first Xenoblade while listening to the four tracks. Once again, an OST masterpiece in the making.

Maiar_m

I think there's a middle ground in the Xenoblade games where you end up enjoying them despite their discutable character design and scenario tropes because the world-building and exploration becomes the main drive for the adventure. It's part of the gameplay loop too, earning you XP points for nothing more than walking into awesome. It's still what makes me want to buy XC2 because I trust it will be able to make me overlook the gratuitously sexualized design for the Blade, the dumb-as-fuck MC pants and the tropey story. Even the first game shared some of these defaults but it never bothered me too much because the world was the best reason to go on.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Since people seems to discuss about stuff without even having any knowledge (on other topics and websites) I'm going to translate some more stuff.
By the way, is it possible to modify the topic title ?

Thank you
Man the giants based world is so cool, I can't wait to explore them

Weapons creation is cool too

Very hyped

Since people seems to discuss about stuff without even having any knowledge (on other topics and websites) I'm going to translate some more stuff.
By the way, is it possible to modify the topic title ?

Hey, appreciate you taking the time to put all this up. I wrote up the website stuff a few days ago but it doesn't look like anyone's posted them anywhere, so here's my version:

'Alrest[?]', a world concealed by an ocean of clouds
There are numerous creatures living within the cloud ocean. The especially enormous creatures are called “Titans(Alres[?])”.
Humans have created settlements atop the Alres[?].

'Blade'
A variant life-form born when a human touches a core crystal.
Blade are born along with a weapon, and dedicate their existence to the human that created them while growing alongside them. They’re cleaving a path through the conflict.

'Driver'
Chosen humans capable of bringing Blades into existence. Drivers synchronize with their Blade, granting them access to a great variety of powers.

Rex, VA: Shimono Hiro
An energetic young boy working as a Salvager.
He meets with Pyra, and becomes deeply embroiled in the fate of the world.

Pyra(Homura), VA: Shimoji Shino
The partner Blade to Rex.
Possesses the power of flame.
She's headed for Elysium along with Rex.

And while not entirely related, I put together a bunch of screenshots identifying various places from the trailer and demo.

Super excited about Xenoblade 2, I can't wait to dive into another world like XC1 (not completely open world but with lots of exploration and story-driven RPG). I'm going to go on a media blackout for this.

I should beat XCX before putting away the Wii U for good...

Ridley327

If it has heart-to-heart stuff, I hope it isn't a ridiculous grind like the previous 2 games.

It's actually not bad in X, but the game makes the mistake of burying the easiest method of gaining affinity in the console that you normally use to browse and accept online quests, with only a brief message after completing the story to let you know of the support missions' existence. Of course, burying essential information is the name of X's game nine times out of ten.

Andyliini

Having beat both the original game (in 2011) and X (early 2016), I'm super pumped for this game. I loved both earlier games in the series, altough they were thematically very different. XB had interesting world and characters with engaging story, while XBX blowed me away with it's world and music. I'm sure Takahashi and his team have once again crafted a wonderful adventure, where I can once again sink 100+ hours.

Thanks for these translations, interesting stuff.

Hey, appreciate you taking the time to put all this up. I wrote up the website stuff a few days ago but it doesn't look like anyone's posted them anywhere, so here's my version:

And while not entirely related, I put together a bunch of screenshots identifying various places from the trailer and demo.

Thank you for this.

The other day i was bummed at the presentation because i thought the game looked straight bad, today, after seeing the trailer again like 10 times i gave the treehouse demo a 2nd chance and i am feeling the HYPE.

The big tree is so beautiful i am now looking for a wallpaper to put in my desktop

EasyMedicalCoqui-size_restricted.gif

Thank you for this.

The other day i was bummed at the presentation because i thought the game looked straight bad, today, after seeing the trailer again like 10 times i gave the treehouse demo a 2nd chance and i am feeling the HYPE.

The big tree is so beautiful i am now looking for a wallpaper to put in my desktop

EasyMedicalCoqui-size_restricted.gif

Yeah, Monolith Soft backgrounds are almost always incredibly epic since Baten Kaitos. I'm really happy that they brought back the classic "endgoal is almost always in sight" from the first game. It makes the journey that much more incredible when you have something to compare against and anticipate.

Ricker

Just watched the Treehouse stuff,this looks great,going to have to start looking for a Switch more seriously now because I want to play this.

Waji

Ah I saw you translated the letter. Didn't know about the rest. If you're ok I'll edit the first post to gather everything ? The more the merrier : ).

aravuus

Oh, I didn't even realize this. Definitely not liking the sound of that. I keep switching between "oh yeah!" and "oh no..." reactions every time I see/read something new about the combat system lol.

Ah I saw you translated the letter. Didn't know about the rest. If you're ok I'll edit the first post to gather everything ? The more the merrier : ).

Sure, that's fine with me.

And it looks like you've already got everything from the tweets, but if you'd like, I could take a whack at those too(for something closer to the English Nopon-speak).

Gravidee

Thank you for this.

They did go out of their way to mention in the Treehouse demo that the graphics were still being worked on.

Waji

Sure, that's fine with me.

And it looks like you've already got everything from the tweets, but if you'd like, I could take a whack at those too(for something closer to the English Nopon-speak).
Thanks for the help but as much as possible I'd prefer the tweets to not be "localised".
There's already too much that is. Translating these is also my way to give at least some taste of the original work ^^.

Sorry for the dumb question. But isn't this a sequel to that huge WiiU game where you travelled around in giant mechs and shit? I didn't see any of that in the trailer. Am I thinking of completely different IPs?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Sorry for the dumb question. But isn't this a sequel to that huge WiiU game where you travelled around in giant mechs and shit? I didn't see any of that in the trailer. Am I thinking of completely different IPs?

X, the game you're referring to, took place on a different planet. Totally different storyline and setting.

Waji

You're not far from the truth.

The WiiU game is Xenoblade X.
There was before a Wii game named Xenoblade
Xenoblade 2 (here) is the next title in the "numbered" Xenoblade series.

The WiiU one, X, can be see as a spin-off or sub series.

X, the game you're referring to, took place on a different planet. Totally different storyline and setting.
Well you could say the same about Xenoblade 2 actually : P.

Atram

Think of it like the FF Games, they only share Ip related stuff but no Story etc...

Fireblend

Banned

It's a game in the same series. There's:

Xenoblade Chronicles (1): A Fantasy/Sci-Fi RPG Released for Wii and later remade for 3DS that this game is a sequel of. Linear in nature, and no mechas.

Xenoblade Chronicles X: A more sandboxy, more sci-fi-ish RPG Released for Wii U. This one has the mechas.

Xenoblade Chronicles 2: The game this thread is for, an "spiritual sequel" to XC1 (in the sense that the story is not directly connected, FF style) that feels much more like it than X. No mechas (as far as we know)

The director has hinted towards making another game in the style of X, but this is much more related to 1 than X. Though it does improve on its combat system and other aspects of its design I suppose.

Lelou

Not related to Xenoblade X.
Probably not even to the first one game, but we still don't know this..

vareon

I agree the name gets confusing nowadays, but you can treat each Xenoblades as an entirely different game.

Kanann

Xenoblade > Xenoblade 2

Xenoblade X is kind of like Megaman X (I hope)

Waji

After the reception and sells this game gets he will no better not to make another Xenoblade X
With all the criticism, I still wonder what's going to be its sales potential.
But clearly it'd be sad if they don't get X a "sequel" especially as now they won't have to worry about building a new engine from scartch. X had to deal with the Wii U, Xenoblade 1 and 2 didn't.

Mister Wolf

With all the criticism, I still wonder what's going to be its sales potential.
But clearly it'd be sad if they don't get X a "sequel" especially as now they won't have to worry about building a new engine from scartch. X had to deal with the Wii U, Xenoblade 1 and 2 didn't.

This game will be the largest selling Xenoblade title worldwide and in Japan. Its shonen type story and anime art style will appeal way more in japan.

Waji

This game will be the largest selling Xenoblade title worldwide and in Japan. Its anime art style will appeal way more in japan.
Do you have proof of that ? I'd be happy to see if you did, really.
Because from what I read on japanese website, it's even more trolling than on western forums.
Too anime, PS2-remaster-like, and so on... I had trouble to find more positive comments than the opposite.
Not that I looked everywhere but still...
I also think it'll be the best selling one, but I wonder at which degree.

On a side note, I'm expecting new tweets tomorrow. If there is something I'll try to update at noon (West Europe time)

Mister Wolf

Do you have proof of that ? I'd be happy to see if you did, really.
Because from what I read on japanese website, it's even more trolling than on western forums.
Too anime, PS2-remaster-like, and so on... I had trouble to find more positive comments than the opposite.
Not that I looked everywhere but still...

I also think it'll be the best selling one, but I wonder at which degree.

Just a feeling. I also think the release window of first year thirsty Switch buyers around Holiday time with no other big rpgs on the switch to compete with will play a huge role.

Fireblend

Banned
Obviously "PS2 remaster" is being hyperbolic, but I do think there's tons of space for graphical improvement from what we saw in the treehouse stream. Compare the foliage to BotW's, for example. I was watching my gf play that this weekend and I was blown away at how good it looked and I couldn't help but remember I wasn't terribly impressed with the graphical fidelity we saw in the stream.

I'm expecting some of the "polish" they mentioned was missing from the game during the stream to account for some of the textures and pop-in we saw, but still, I see why people would be a bit disappointed about how low-res it looks for now, I'd definitely grant it's one of its weak points atm, even if I do like the artstyle they're going for.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
In hindsight maybe they should have made Xenoblade X under a different IP. The fact that it had Xenoblade in the name made a lot of people to expect a similar game with the first one and it got many complains for not having the same focus on the story. When the purpose of the game was obviously different. Or at least call it Xeno B.L.A.D.E.

Lolz

So there are blind trolls on japanese boards as well?

It's all because of the artstyle, it doesn't even have (so far) the epic look of X to compensate for that. You know how you notice that? No flood of awesome gifs. Hopefully is just because they made a rather poor selection of what to show in the Treehouse.

Edit: just to clarify ... remaster of PS2 is obviously hyperbole.

Waji

Just a feeling. I also think the release window of first year thirsty Switch buyers around Holiday time with no other big rpgs on the switch to compete with will play a huge role.
I sure hope it'll sell pretty well in Japan as it's also the version I buy and I'd like Nintendo not to forget about their own country if the sales were not good enough ha ha. I just hope the reviews won't troll the game on "Eye patches" or other random fake arguments.
But if they're fair (and the game's good) it should create something big yes, I hope so.
Just not too much so we don't begin to get DLC...

Lolz

So there are blind trolls on japanese boards as well?
Is they're not foreigners who know how to type in japanese, then yes : P.
I hope it's just a tiny amount of ridiculous fanatics or another company.

Obviously "PS2 remaster" is being hyperbolic, but I do think there's tons of space for graphical improvement from what we saw in the treehouse stream. Compare the foliage to BotW's, for example. I was watching my gf play that this weekend and I was blown away at how good it looked and I couldn't help but remember I wasn't terribly impressed with the graphical fidelity we saw in the stream.

I'm expecting some of the "polish" they mentioned was missing from the game during the stream to account for some of the textures and pop-in we saw, but still, I see why people would be a bit disappointed about how low-res it looks for now, I'd definitely grant it's one of its weak points atm, even if I do like the artstyle they're going for.
I'm pretty sure the end resul is going to be amazing, still with a good amount of meh textures but with time and a their excellent artistic direction, I'm confident.

Mister Wolf

I sure hope it'll sell pretty well in Japan as it's also the version I buy and I'd like Nintendo not to forget about their own country if the sales were not good enough ha ha. I just hope the reviews won't troll the game on "Eye patches" or other random fake arguments.
But if they're fair (and the game's good) it should create something big yes, I hope so.
Just not too much so we don't begin to get DLC...

Is they're not foreigners who know how to type in japanese, then yes : P.
I hope it's just a tiny amount of ridiculous fanatics or another company.

I'm pretty sure the end resul is going to be amazing, still with a good amount of meh textures but with time and a their excellent artistic direction, I'm confident.

Trust me Waji the shonen is gonna sell it. I can see the 12 episode bad cgi anime adaption already.

Mister Wolf

I think the issue developing for the Switch is what they brought up in the DF Splatoon test fire video. You have to lock down the performance for the handheld mode then you fine tune the docked mode. Thats probably what hasn't happened yet and why he was quick to acknowledge the lacking visuals.

Top Bottom