• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Night: IGN Article [Quack Quack Slurp Slurp]

GavinUK86

The game looks and sounds incredible. There isn't a set in stone release date yet though is there?

Edit: Oh it's THAT game. I didn't realize. Huh. Still looks good though.

Nowise10

I can see separating the artist from the art on occasion, but you guys saying you'll still play it after knowing the deal...smh. The art is infused with shit no one should stand for.

Sorry I don't get some moral upbringing trash talking the game. I'm gonna buy it because I want to experience the world the devs made, as it looks incredible.

Orayn

Publicly at E3 he apologized if I recall.

He didn't apologize for much, just a vague acknowledgment of some people not liking him and saying that he's changed a lot in the last few years while still existing in a GG/alt-right or it. As far as we know, that's still who he is and the game's premise is still that the world became a nightmare dystopia because of social justice and basic income.

Slayven

Remember the Buzzfeed article a few weeks ago about how a lot of media are secretly on the MIlo/breitbart/Gamergate/White Supremacy train?

I have a feeling that some of these drive by “this game looks amazing” posts are intentional to spiteful people who take issue with things this game stands for, like misogyny.
I also think it's possible for people to have only been exposed to this game through the E3 trailer. If you haven't been paying THAT much attention, the controversy could totally pass you by.

Speely

Banned
This game broke my heart a little. Blew me away at first, then the GGness of it all dashed my hopes.

I care more about not supporting this kind of presence in videogames than I do about enjoying a leisure activity.

Like, it's not even a choice.

Luckily this is happening in an era teeming with amazing games, so no real loss.

Feep

Banned
Won't support trash like this, no matter how visually impressive it looks. Plenty of other great titles out there.

Buckle

Yeah, I'm not touching this for now.

He claims to have backed off but seem to remember him having tweets not too far off that seemed to give the impression that he could still believes in those views but might just be freaking the fuck out that people found out and is now trying to backtrack.

He originally claimed his game was about the dangers of modern feminism, have a hard time believing we still won't see traces of that ingame. Somehow doubt he retooled the whole thing.

97 posts in this thread just totally passed them by
Not everyone reads the entire thread before posting. Since the OP also doesn't make any mention of the controversy, I'm not willing to immediately assume the worst of anyone who posts something vaguely positive about this game.

Opa-Pa

I also think it's possible for people to have only been exposed to this game through the E3 trailer. If you haven't been paying THAT much attention, the controversy could totally pass you by.

I'm sure some aren't aware, but look at a handful of them again and tell me some aren't being spiteful lol. It's pretty obvious.

Alucrid

Banned
We really gonna act like people don't post in threads without reading them.

Not everyone reads the entire thread before posting. Since the OP also doesn't make any mention of the controversy, I'm not willing to immediately assume the worst of anyone who posts something vaguely positive about this game.

first post in this thread is asking about gamergate. title was changed to quack quack slurp slurp. and the poster you're defending posted in the E3 thread where this was all revealed.

Man, I love posts like this in the threads about this game.
Just don't see a point in passing judgement on how much of the creator's dumb personal views influenced the final project until it's actually done. Until then, I will continue to hope that the gameplay can match the visuals. I have a high tolerance for shit bag creators who make interesting art, but if others don't want to support it, I understand why.

jacobeid

Banned
Nah, I'm good IGN. Thanks though. Shouldn't even give this trash any coverage at all.

Which is why IGN shouldn’t be supporting it. They know the message of this game, they know the creator; don’t advertise a game that is morally corrupt and act like it isn’t an issue. People (the IGN audience) likely won’t know better.

You’re just exposing more people to those hateful, insidious themes and perpetuating the spread of far right reactionary ideas.

Exactly. Let the developer fail. Don't give them attention.

nynt9

Just don't see a point in passing judgement on how much of the creator's dumb personal views influenced the final project until it's actually done. Until then, I will continue to hope that the gameplay can match the visuals. I have a high tolerance for shit bag creators who make interesting art, but if others don't want to support it, I understand why.

How interesting is art that is, based on the creator’s explicit words, “in a world where feminism won #gamergate”?

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.

KmpDjSb.png

While the creator's explanation of the plot (a dystopia based on not only a post-scarcity, but also Post-Sex world where neither sex nor a woman is required to have a child) is an honestly fantastic idea that I would love to see explored (The Anime Vandread has a similar plot, where the sexes were literally split onto seperate planets!), There's a significant enough self-inflicted stigma around the creator that is enough to give this a hard pass.

Alucrid

Banned

the guy clearly said his "dumb personal views" had a major influence on the game. we're not supposed to take him at his word?

It's style and atmosphere is ripped off from the many giants of the arts that came before, but this time with the added bonus of GG ideologies.

Hope it flops.

Speely

Banned
How interesting is art that is, based on the creator’s explicit words, “in a world where feminism won #gamergate”?

When grafx and presentation mean more to people than further toxifying the medium itself with obvious misogyny, there are only dead end conversations to have, sadly.

Which is why I love GAF.

Mechazawa

first post in this thread is asking about gamergate. title was changed to quack quack slurp slurp. and the poster you're defending posted in the E3 thread where this was all revealed.

The last bit(and his follow up post) are damning, but complaining someone is trying to be slick because they went straight to reply isn't really evidence when people do it all the time here.

Hard pass for me. Just another reason for me to stop visiting ign. It blows my mind that a site that has allana pierce is promoting this gamer gate shit.

If the game tells it's story in an interesting way I'm happy to give it a shot. That doesn't mean I necessarily agree with the reality of the premise on which it's created.

Every day you - yes you - consume products created through the exploitation of, and cruelty to, people, animals and our planet. Why draw the line with a guy who had some shitty ideas?

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions

Yeah,

It's one thing to separate the creator and his views from the content he/she creates.

But, in this example the content is the creator's views.

Edit: Hi Discord

I'm not even intending to defend a specific poster. I'm just not a fan of the mob mentality that says 'This person isn't aware this game was made by an asshole! Clearly, they are also an asshole!'.

Top Bottom