• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon/Verge writer says Naughty Dog staff said inappropriate things to her (quote)

SilentRob

Misleading We don't have any paper trail for this so it didn't happen-statement incoming from ND.

Was this just at the start of the meeting or did it continue the whole way through? Was she a professional and just moved on or ignored it? Did she make a witty comeback?

None of this matters in any way.

And if she did get seriously insulted, did she make a formal complaint to the person's superior or the company? Is legal action on the way?

It doesn't matter in any way.

Is there any proof?

No. Other than a woman putting her career and mental well-being due to the coming harassement via Twitter and other social media outlets in jeopardy to come forward with this, there is none. What does that mean for you?

Would half of the people here worried about a company or a video game be as forward and worried if these allegations were presented against a company like EA? A less successful developer like Sparks Unlimited? Or could it maybe be that you want to trivialize and relativise sexual harassement because it affects a company that makes video games you like? These priorities and the way the discussion was immediately led to "BUT WHAT ABOUT NAUGHTY DOG, THEY MAKE LAST OF US 2 D:" at the very first page is pretty terrifying to me.

It doesn't. But blaming 600 people for the actions of a few doesn't either. That's the entire point of my comment.

That comparison. These situations are not comparable. Other ND employees being associated with this harasser's behavior isn't the same thing as GAF posters being associated with Amir0x. You can be distrustful of the work culture at ND right now while still being innocent of Amir0x's disgusting behavior.

labaronx

You should be a normal human and make your own decision. Like the rest of us.

Ive already made my decision on that matter just like im sitting here playing uncharted lost legacy right now. My reply.... which seems to have triggered a few people despite condemning the individual harrasser a few post prior.... was that some people may choose not to give up on ND, due to the sum of its parts: writers,actors,develops and not the actions of 2 depraved individuals....

You are allowed to boycott, but you shouldnt assume everyone who chooses not to, is driven by brand loyalty.

DrunkDan

In this thread I lost all my hope in gaf.
There is no intention to make things right, just the usual bloodthirst.

The hypocrisy is incredible, given this site itself has a chequered history with less than upstanding individuals. I hope people are planning to boycott or call for its closure. Nah I didn’t think so.

Some people pick and choose when they want to be righteous I guess. Calling for hundreds of people to lose jobs because a couple of scumbags (allegedly) work there is ridiculous. It should be investigated properly then the correct course of action taken. This knee jerk bullshit that happens on here is becoming a regular thing. People seem very quick to let emotion cloud their judgement.

KOHIPEET

Please tell me this isn't real.

What is exactly the problem with what I wrote I'm not stating she's lying, or she's making accusations for whatever benefit she might get. I'm merely trying to say that referring to (probably) a single person by the name of a company that has around what, 200 to 300 hundred employees is a bit unnecessary. If she doesn't name the actual person why even name anyone.

And again, I'm firmly believe that sexual harassment is a bad thing and these kind of comments to women became waay too normal and it's good that now they're raising their voice against it as even the suggestion that women should accept it just because, well because they women, is abnormal.

None of this matters in any way.

It doesn't matter in any way.

No. Other than a woman putting her career and mental well-being due to the coming harassement via Twitter and other social media outlets in jeopardy to come forward with this, there is none. What does that mean for you?

Would half of the people here worried about a company or a video game be as forward and worried if these allegations were presented against a company like EA? A less successful developer like Sparks Unlimited? Or could it maybe be that you want to trivialize and relativise sexual harassement because it affects a company that makes video games you like? These priorities and the way the discussion was immediately led to "BUT WHAT ABOUT NAUGHTY DOG, THEY MAKE LAST OF US 2 D:" at the very first page is pretty terrifying to me.

I don't really give a shit about ND, not that it matters.

I want to know the whole picture. I'm not blindly believing things and if that makes me an asshole then I'm an asshole, sorry.

If she has a reason and means to pursue legal action or something similiar against ND and/or this person, I'm all for it. But I'm not going "Fuck ND and burn them to the ground" based on a one tweet.

What is exactly the problem with what I wrote I'm not stating she's lying, or she's making accusations for whatever benefit she might get. I'm merely trying to say that referring to (probably) a single person by the name of a company that has around what, 200 to 300 hundred employees is a bit unnecessary. If she doesn't name the actual person why even name anyone.

And again, I'm firmly believe that sexual harassment is a bad thing and these kind of comments to women became waay too normal and it's good that now they're raising their voice against it as even the suggestion that women should accept it just because, well because they women, is abnormal.

Well, the first thing you did is "Please don't attack Naughty Dog" instead of thinking of the victim first which behaviours you called "attention seeking".

Still dont see the problem here ? (And yes, considering what we're hearing about ND these days, the least thing they should do is at least adress it ?)

Chris1

Was this just at the start of the meeting or did it continue the whole way through? Was she a professional and just moved on or ignored it? Did she make a witty comeback?
Do you really think what he said was acceptable in any circumstances to the point you have to ask these questions? Even saying it as a joke it's bang out of order.

If you think it was then I think you need to go see a doctor or something, no offence.

Rmagnus

Banned
I am fucking out after all this victim blaming shit... After gamergate I thought we were better than this. Gonna log off for a bit before I get ban for not biting my tongue.

Do you really think what he said was acceptable in any circumstances to the point you have to ask these questions? Even as a joke it's bang out of order.

If you think it was then I think you need to go see a doctor or something, no offence.

Never said or implied that his behaviour was anything less than horrible, which it was.

Ive already made my decision on that matter just like im sitting here playing uncharted lost legacy right now. My reply.... which seems to have triggered a few people despite condemning the individual harrasser a few post prior.... was that some people may choose not to give up on ND, due to the sum of its parts: writers,actors,develops and not the actions of 2 depraved individuals....

You are allowed to boycott, but you shouldnt assume everyone who chooses not to, is driven by brand loyalty.
Great. No one is "triggered" they're just responding to a really dumb post. Also what you and others like you, across these threads and others, fail to comprehend is no one is telling you to boycott the game/film/company. They have made their own decision and laying down reasons. This bullshit of "should I boycott X" in response is a childish reaction to the decisions others are making. You make your decision, others will make theirs. Their decision has no impact on you, like yours to them.

Ah. Thats why they are called "naughty" Dogs..

Dirty Dogs more like, with all of these stories coming out.

I'm just trying to think that there is goodness and decency in this world still, with all the ugliness that's been emerging at a rapid rate over the past couple of years.

Dirty Dogs more like, with all of these stories coming out.

I'm just trying to think that there is goodness and decency in this world still, with all the ugliness that's been emerging at a rapid rate over the past couple of years.
It was a hell of a lot worse when people didn't speak out. This "ugliness" is not new, just the courage to stand up to it.

What was dumb about it. Explain it to me?
See the edit. You're acting like others decisions should impact you. That's dumb.

Quealy

Neo Member
I wonder if this will get the same "hide it under the rug" response as the previous guy.. Makes you wonder how prevalent it is in other game companies

redcrayon

I think it's more that your post sounded like you were far more concerned that people might not buy a computer game, which to be honest is so very far from what's important in this discussion.

Companies and multi-media franchises are big enough to look after themselves, accusations of harassment by a visitor against a staff member are neither going to sink the company or (heaven forbid) stop a project costing tens of millions of pounds getting made. One side in this accusation has a massive HR and PR department and the backing of a multinational corporation, They don't need your help or trust.

KOHIPEET

Well, the first thing you did is "Please don't attack Naughty Dog" instead of thinking of the victim first which behaviours you called "attention seeking".

Still dont see the problem here ? (And yes, considering what we're hearing about ND these days, the least thing they should do is at least adress it ?)

Literally my first thought: "let's not try to judge anyone until more facts are revealed." And I think I wrote "it feels to me like attention seeking."

I believe we're on the same side here. Perhaps I'm trying be more cautious and objective.

They're gonna have to do a lot worse before people stop buying games from their darling developer.

Well yeah some of us still belive in distinction of individuals and company. If person behaves as shit it's on him not whole company as long as company doesn't actively try to hide it (assuming it happened in work).

Literally my first thought: "let's not try to judge anyone until more facts are revealed." And I think I wrote "it feels to me like attention seeking."

I believe we're on the same side here. Perhaps I'm trying more cautious and objective.

By saying "attention seeking" you are picking a side though. How is that not obvious?

Alebelly

is there a reason why people just cant call people out by name? Usually if one person is assaulted they aren't the first. How does calling out Naughty Dog in general work?

Shaanyboi

Banned

I believe we're on the same side here. Perhaps I'm trying be more cautious and objective.

How mighty of you for saying she's attention seeking.

is there a reason why people just cant call people out by name? Usually if one person is assaulted they aren't the first. How does calling out Naughty Dog in general work?
They could get sued for libel.

That's quite literally you being on a different side and not being objective.

labaronx

Great. No one is "triggered" they're just responding to a really dumb post. Also what you and others like you, across these threads and others, fail to comprehend is no one is telling you to boycott the game/film/company. They have made their own decision and laying down reasons. This bullshit of "should I boycott X" in response is a childish reaction to the decisions others are making. You make your decision, others will make theirs. Their decision has no impact on you, like yours to them.

How is saying multiple people working on something and asking people to consider those people as well dumb. Bill cosby is an accused rapist does that make everyone who worked on "the cosby show" or people who still support "the cosby show" accountable for "his" actions. The poster i responded to made the decision and then question people who wouldn't boycott a product as brand loyalty and i gave an alternate example of why not.. the sum of its parts... was it a great example maybe not... didnt victim blame, didnt let naughty dog off the hook, but gave a reasonable retort to a post that seemed to suggest people wouldn't boycott ND because of fanboyism. id suggest rereading my original response to the initial poster.

This thread is a wreck.

Why would she lie? She's been a writer for nearly a decade. I doubt she just decide one day to wake up and post that.

Some people just have to turn it into fanboy and console wars. They can't accept that their are a few dodgy characters at the mighty Naughty dog. There's a few in every company most likely. But nooo, we have to go with the victim blaming.

Lurk

Banned
I'm really against people using a company when it's one person.

If it was a case that ND openly accepted this behaviour fine go after them.

But it seems like in most cases they didn't actually promote it and they should call out the individual and not the employer.

Shaanyboi

Banned

It's a drastically more complicated issue legally. It's very rare there's documentation of any kind for "casual" (for lack of a better word) instances of sexual harassment like this, or even those that are significantly more dangerous ones. Any proof the victim would need to defend his or herself from being sued for libel is extremely rare.

But it seems like in most cases they didn't actually promote it and they should call out the individual and not the employer.

Some of y'all don't know how laws work.

TsuWave

That's so fucked up.

She should have named the person though (don't know how it works or if she's even legally allowed to do so). I wonder if she reported it to Naughty Dog and they did/didn't take action? I'm thinking as a company its pretty hard to regulate what some of your dickhead employees might say, but if she reported it and they did nothing then it's not a good look for them.

Sayad

jfc the complete lack of self awareness on some people (the dev not her) is astounding. Like how fucked up or developmentally stunted do you have to be to think it's okay to ask something like that in a professional setting, even if you are joking?
"After I introduced myself as a reporter" doesn't sound like it was a professional setting. Otherwise, many people would know who this ND dev is by now.

KOHIPEET

By saying "attention seeking" you are picking a side though. How is that not obvious?

Again I wrote it feels like attention seeking, and I stick to that.

I don't really care about naughty dog as a dev so I'm not trying to defend them. I tried to point out something regarding her way of bringing light to what happened to her.

(As a side note, I almost always feel this way about twitter in general. There is something that bothers me about it as a communication form. I can't exactly pinpoint what, but probably its shortness is the problem.)

I acknowledge what bothers me with her comment has more to do with the nature of twitter and this thread/topic clearly wasn't the best place to voice my problems, so I hereby ask for an apology from everyone to whom I may insulted in any way.

Harrasment is a crime should be taken seriously.

How is saying multiple people working on something and asking people to consider those people as well dumb. Bill cosby is an accused rapist does that make everyone who worked on "the cosby show" or people who still support "the cosby show" accountable for "his" actions. The poster i responded to made the decision and then question people who wouldn't boycott a product as brand loyalty and i gave an alternate example of why not.. the sum of its parts... was it a great example maybe not... didnt victim blame, didnt let naughty dog off the hook, but gave a reasonable retort to a post that seemed to suggest people wouldn't boycott ND because of fanboyism. If that fact makes people mad, id suggest rereading my original response to the initial poster.
It's very easy to separate a post from a point, your point wasn't and isn't wrong. Your post that people are responding to is dumb. "Should I do X" is always a shitty post, especially in threads like this. Your Justice League analogy also fails because the same conversation is being had about that, and people are coming to the decision to not watch it.

With regards to fanboying, there will definitely be people who continue to play or ignore this news for reasons of brand loyalty, that doesn't mean every single person who still plays ND games is blinded by loyalty, but there will be some.

Again I wrote it feels like attention seeking, and I stick to that.

I don't really care about naughty dog as a dev so I'm not trying to defend them. I tried to point out something regarding her way of bringing light to what happened to her.

(As a side note, I almost always feel this way about twitter in general. There is something that bothers me about it as a communication form. I can't exactly pinpoint what, but probably its shortness is the problem.)

I acknowledge what bothers me with her comment has more to do with the nature of twitter and this thread/topic clearly wasn't the best place to voice my problems, so I hereby ask for an apology from everyone to whom I may insulted in any way.

Harrasment is a crime should be taken seriously.
Um what?

As an employer you are responsible for the behavior of your staff on company time to some extend. If your company has an environment where this happens, it should be fixed.

Top Bottom