• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Crystal Maze |OT| Will you restart the fans, please!

"Ok guys, I'm in a room, I've got.....um.....a Key! And there's a chest with a keyhole! Ummmm.......ok ok ok, what do I do?!"
shouting
"HAVE YOU TRIED EATING THE KEY CHERYL ?"
"DOES IT FIT UP YOUR BUM CHERYL, HAVE YOU TRIED THAT?"
"Ummmm, no I don't think it fits. I'm just going to scrape the key on the walls for now, see if that does something"
shouting
"TRY THROWING THE KEY AT THE CEILING CHERYL, MAYBE THERE IS A SECRET PANEL"
key clattering
"Ummmmmmmm"
"CHERYL! ITS STEVE! DOES THE KEY OPEN ANYTHING"
"What? The chest is made of some sort of plastic!"
"WHAT?"
"What?"
"WHAT?"
"Plastic! What? How much time do I have!"
"2 MINUTES CHERYL"
"What?"
"2 MINUTES!"
2 minutes of bellowing and running circles
"GET OUT CHERYL!"
"What?"
"GET OOOOUTTTT!!"
"The key fits in my bum!"
locked in

Etc. Love crystal maze.
A+ post, would read again.

Will have to check this out, the show was a family favourite and Richard was a hero of ours.

Wes

venison crêpe
Forgot this was on. Never matters if the contestants are really good or really bad - crystal maze is a great watch.

Faddy

Banned
Forgot this was on. Never matters if the contestants are really good or really bad - crystal maze is a great watch.

Different with celebs who know they are stupid. There have been 3 games where they have walked into the room and just given up immediately. I don't mind watching people fail but it is crap watching them not even try.

Wes

venison crêpe
Different with celebs who know they are stupid. There have been 3 games where they have walked into the room and just given up immediately. I don't mind watching people fail but it is crap watching them not even try.

Oh that's a shame. I have missed half. Yeah you have to at least give it a go!

I fear I've missed best zone - Aztec.

LoveCake

I don't see why all the hate for Louie Spence, it's just how he is (he may add a little extra for TV) and being ordinary is boring, he is a very good dancer and choreographer in the dance world.

Richard Ayoade is very good indeed.

I would like to see a episode with some intelligent people like,
Professor Brian Cox
Rachel Riley
Bear Grylls
Sandy Tovskig
Richard Osman

Wish the new dome still had the moat and bridge that rose out of the water.

Was about to say the same!

Ayoade knocked it out of the park though, very excited for the new series. Curious to see if puzzles like the one without a time limit make it into the non-celeb version.

mclem

Was about to say the same!

Ayoade knocked it out of the park though, very excited for the new series. Curious to see if puzzles like the one without a time limit make it into the non-celeb version.

I suspect Mumsey was always inherently treated as a game without a time limit, even if it wasn't official. There was never really much in the way of time pressure in how it was delivered.

I suspect Mumsey was always inherently treated as a game without a time limit, even if it wasn't official. There was never really much in the way of time pressure in how it was delivered.

Ah of course. I feel a bit bad for forgetting mumsey!

Why did they take the stairs from Industrial to Medieval, but then appear out of the tunnel to Aztec?

The new Future zone is pretty snazzy.

"Ok guys, I'm in a room, I've got.....um.....a Key! And there's a chest with a keyhole! Ummmm.......ok ok ok, what do I do?!"
shouting
"HAVE YOU TRIED EATING THE KEY CHERYL ?"
"DOES IT FIT UP YOUR BUM CHERYL, HAVE YOU TRIED THAT?"
"Ummmm, no I don't think it fits. I'm just going to scrape the key on the walls for now, see if that does something"
shouting
"TRY THROWING THE KEY AT THE CEILING CHERYL, MAYBE THERE IS A SECRET PANEL"
key clattering
"Ummmmmmmm"
"CHERYL! ITS STEVE! DOES THE KEY OPEN ANYTHING"
"What? The chest is made of some sort of plastic!"
"WHAT?"
"What?"
"WHAT?"
"Plastic! What? How much time do I have!"
"2 MINUTES CHERYL"
"What?"
"2 MINUTES!"
2 minutes of bellowing and running circles
"GET OUT CHERYL!"
"What?"
"GET OOOOUTTTT!!"
"The key fits in my bum!"
locked in

Etc. Love crystal maze.

Genius.
Every. Damn. Episode.

Guaranteed I will shout at the telly every episode and tonight was no different.

"NO YOU CAN'T HAVE TWO GREEN ONES TOGETHER YOU STUPID COW"

"IT'S 16. 16. 16. IT'S BLOODY 16"

Just a heads up, but it looks like the first episode is up on 4od. Thanks for the positive impressions everyone, looks like this is what I'm watching later.

Kalor

I finished watching it on 4od and that was enjoyable. Ayoade fit into the role really well and it will be fun to see what else he brings to it. I miss the old set for the crystal. The moat and bridge added some ambience to the room which the new crystal lacked.

That was awesome, and Richard was hilarious.

"I don't think there's enough crystal in Breaking Bad to bring him back" lmao

He's perfect for this, his quips were just hysterical. Loved it and can't wait to see more. So glad it's back.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Ayoade was everything I imagined he would be, but that's easy I guess when that's his character. Really enjoyed it, be looking forward to seeing it with regular folk.

mclem

They'd be better suited to a revival of The Adventure Game.

Gronda gronda.

Speaking of which, this was released a week or so ago, and arrived yesterday:

Ig4ZYp6.jpg

Looking forward to watching it, it's got almost the whole series (two episodes lost, unfortunately); I've only ever seen what I saw when I was very very young - which I barely recall - and bits of series 4 when it was shown on Challenge.

mclem

Heads up: I mentioned upthread that the new series of French Fort Boyard is starting today, and I'd strongly recommend it to people who like Crystal Maze. That starts at 8:00 BST - 5 mins from now. Be prepared to take most of your Saturday, mind, it's usually over two hours! I tend not to find the language barrier to be much of an issue.

Here is a pointer to various means to watch it.

A quick rundown of the format, because there's a lot to it

First of all, there's the cast; the Fort has a lot of characters, there's a lot of worldbuilding around it. There's the host, who's generally pretty much on the side of the players, and the master of the fort, Pere Fouras - played very much as a gamesmaster-style rather than the villainous approach handled by the UK adaptation.

This is last years' format, it *may* have changed:

First up, they have a time limit to collect a number of keys (I think it's currently nine, but it's varied over the series). Usual Crystal Maze style rules; win the game to get the key, lose the game fair enough, and you can get locked in (which in this means you're taken prisoner elsewhere.
Some time during this they'll get sent to the Cage, hosted by Rouge, a run of quick Gladiators-style strength/skill tests against a resident combatant, with a chance to get several quick keys for them.

After this, they'll probably not have nine keys, and they may have some people locked in - so they go and meet Blanche, Rouge's sister; they can risk people for the missing keys with a choice of skill or luck games. That's also an opportunity to free the imprisoned people, again for the same sort of games.

So now they have the keys, they need to try to get clues for the endgame. These are more 'face your fears' types of games; if you think Bushtucker Trials from I'm a Celebrity Get Me Out Of Here, you won't be *too* far out. Win them, get a clueword for the finale.

Finally, they play for more or less time in the endgame. First up is The Great Escape, an assault course for the prisoners to run through - timed, and if they go past the time limit any extra time comes out of their treasure room reward. Then they go to the Council, a number of skill-based one-on-one games, with extra time for a win.

Finally, after all that, you get the treasure room; guess the codeword based on the clues, and use the time remaining on the clock to get coins out of the room.

It's a *lot* of show - the UK adaptation was a much simpler affair, and I think it might be interesting for people to see the original.

Ig4ZYp6.jpg

Looking forward to watching it, it's got almost the whole series (two episodes lost, unfortunately); I've only ever seen what I saw when I was very very young - which I barely recall - and bits of series 4 when it was shown on Challenge.

Awesome, though I'm always wary of watching stuff like that in case it doesn't live up to my rosy memories.

Ig4ZYp6.jpg

Ooooooh.

Ok there's another charity episode next week, do regular episodes begin after that?
Rumours is that there's going to be four celebrity episodes to start with.

COMPLETE SPECULATION AHEAD: I wouldn't be too surprised if the subsequent regular episodes are moved to a daytime slot, since that was the exact same strategy they used for the revival of Fifteen to One.

sammex

Really? But 15 to 1 was a daytime show previously. I'd be surprised if something as popular as TCM moved away from primetime.

mclem

Rumours is that there's going to be four celebrity episodes to start with.

COMPLETE SPECULATION AHEAD: I wouldn't be too surprised if the subsequent regular episodes are moved to a daytime slot, since that was the exact same strategy they used for the revival of Fifteen to One.

At some point they're swapping to Thursday for the World Para Championships; there's some speculation they'll stay there for the civilian episodes (possibly even in the classic slot!)

ss1

Neo Member
Ayoade was great and definitely a step up from Stephen Merchant who was a little bit cringeworthy at times. Looking forward to the next episode.

Top Bottom