• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sim City 5 to be announced at GDC event in march?

According to gamestar.de EA is going to announce Sim City 5 at the GDC event!

Automatic translation:
Sim City 5 - Announcement of the structure may play in March
As part of this year's Game Developers Conference in San Francisco, Electronic Arts is going to announce a new game from EA Maxis. According to rumors it might be SimCity 5.

Apparently the publisher Electronic Arts is going to announce a new episode of the city building simulation Sim City. There are at least some clues. Erik Reynolds, PR manager of Electronic Arts initially announced via Twitter that they will announce within this years Game Developers Conference in San Francisco (5th to 9th March 2012) a new game of development studio Maxis EX - including a large show and special guests.

A short time later, an entry is followed on Facebook, which contained this text:
"How can we work together to change the world? Find out if EA> The Game Changers <-Event held at the GDC. What would you do if you had the power to change the world? "
The Facebook entry has raised first speculation that it could be, for the new Maxis game to another episode of Sim City. Another clue is a job that has EA Maxis released a few weeks ago. Therein, a graphic designer for a "Triple-A simulation game" with experience in PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 has been searched.

Whether EA will announce next month actually Sim CIty 5 or maybe a whole different ball game, we know no later than the end of GDC. We will keep you up to date in this regard, of course.

http://www.gamestar.de/news/branche/2564906/sim_city_5.html

Suairyu

Banned
Where do you take the genre after SimCity 4? That's still the very best and I see no immediate way to intelligently expand on what 4 did, beyond some fixes and tweaks.

Where do you take the genre after SimCity 4? That's still the very best and I see no immediate way to intelligently expand on what 4 did, beyond some fixes and tweaks.

Obviously if you can't possibly improve on it, the only way to go is down! I mean hell, look at Phantasy Star 3.

I'm so hoping it is; I'm ready for a great city building game and a sequel in the SimCity franchise.

Though they may try and do something bigger such as SimWorld, due to the nature of the "the power to change the world" message.

We'll see.

Valnen

Graphics and overall presentation. Just make it prettier and a lot of people would be happy.

Chittagong

Gold Member
"How can we work together to change the world? Find out if EA> The Game Changers <-Evetn held at the GDC. What would you do if you had the power to change the world? "

Populous is more likely explanation for this

"...coming to FACEBOOK!"

but seriously. My inner 6-year old jumped with glee. SC4 runs like dog shit on my PC :(

Nope, the article mentions the following:

Einen weiteren Hinweis liefert ein Stellenangebot, das EA Maxis vor einigen Wochen veröffentlicht hat. Darin wurde ein Grafiker für ein »Triple-A Simulationsspiel« mit Erfahrungen im Bereich PlayStation 3 und Xbox 360 gesucht.

They were searching for graphical designer for "AAA simulation game", experienced with PS3 and X360.

Populous is more likely explanation for this

I agree it can be the next Populous, or maybe Powermonger?

DaBuddaDa

It has already been confirmed that SimCity is coming to Facebook soon in some form. It would be great if it launched concurrently with a real SimCity 5!

A big leap forward for the SimCity series would be through expansive asynchronous multiplayer options and Steam Workshop integration for user and developer-made DLC/add-ons.

jman2050

Please don't be a gimped lowest-common-denominator console game, please don't be a gimped lowest-common-denominator console game, please--

Daft_Cat

Streamlining some of the complexities for accessibility (without removing or dumbing them down) while taking a look at some of the best Sim City 4 mods (for traffic, etc) would be a good direction.

Adding more "inter-city" playability would be welcome also..

-KRS-

Well bam, there it is.

Good timing actually, I feel that the world is ready for a new Sim City game after all these years.

DaBuddaDa

Please don't be a gimped lowest-common-denominator console game, please don't be a gimped lowest-common-denominator console game, please--

They tried that (minus the unnecessary 'console' part), it was called SimCity Societies and it was an utter failure critically and commercially. I doubt they're going to roll the dice on that again.

Orayn

They tried that (minus the unnecessary 'console' part), it was called SimCity Societies and it was an utter failure critically and commercially. I doubt they're going to roll the dice on that again.

A first person shooter would be a much safer bet.

Sim City Revolution, on 360/PS3/iOS! :p
Oh god, please no. I know that a lot of journalists were praising Civilization: Revolution up and down all day long, but if they would do this to my Sim City, I would probably sit there playing it in a pool of tears! I love that game for being a pretty good simulation game where it doesn't just let you sit on your laurels...I mean the choice is there, but Civ:Rev seemed like it was much more focused to the mainstream crowd.

I just want Sim City 5 on PC/MAC only (facebook would probably have me cursign as well since I feel like I am never going tobe able to dip into that world of social gaming), please optimize better than Sim City 4, and get Will Wright back if possible, or something!

relaxor

what?
I am hoping that it's a full fledged Simcity sequel with extra focus on managing the green and sustainability aspects of the city. This would work in conjunction with an emphasis of providing real food to your sims, designating wildlife and regional (not just city) parks, etc.

Excited : )

jman2050

NO. Hell no...

SimCity is great due to its real world simulation. It's harder to connect to a futuristic setting that we have no idea will look like...

Keep it modern based.

I tend to agree with this thinking, though I don't really think it's a bad idea overall.

jman2050

Also we're talking about a city simulation game here. There are absolutely many different further directions this type of game can go past what SC4 did.

I am hoping that it's a full fledged Simcity sequel with extra focus on managing the green and sustainability aspects of the city. This would work in conjunction with an emphasis of providing real food to your sims, designating wildlife and regional (not just city) parks, etc.

Excited : )
Yeah, some more land management stuff would be cool like trying to manage resources as well as wildlife habitats and populations... I can see that going really bad if you go in the wrong direction, kill of a loved endangered species when trying to control another invasive species or something, people start hating you, ect... I kind of like that risk factor in these games where there are choices that really have to be made at times. I would like more with water management too... not like just conserving, but more to do with watersheds. Some farming stuff would be cool. More control over traffic and such..,

I would also like to be able to zoom more in and just watch people patterns such as when people leave for work in the morning (and when they come home... which would lead into things like stress, being over/underworked between different classes), traffic conditions, electricity use through out the day... smog problems eventually, ect...

Basically just make it MOAR SIMULATION.

jman2050

Make a new version of SimCopter and integrate it into the main game.

Add an FPS crime-fighting minigame if need be for the casuals.

Robin64

If it comes to consoles, please don't give us a watered-down version ala Civ Rev. Be brave and go the whole hog.

donarumo

Neo Member
SimCity 4 in full 3D is a good place to start. Keep it as modable of course.

A Zynga like social SimCity would be a terrible place to start.

injurai

Banned
NO. Hell no...

SimCity is great due to its real world simulation. It's harder to connect to a futuristic setting that we have no idea will look like...

Keep it modern based.

Yeah, but I would love some sort of semi futuristic green-eco end game route.

Top Bottom