• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Super English Dub Thread

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
Welcome to the Dragon Ball Super English Dub Thread! Spoiler policy is as episode airs, any future events, characters, and arcs must be tagged appropriately.

Dragon Ball Super airs on Adult Swim and Toonami at these times:
8:30PM/11:00PM Eastern Time
7:30PM/10PM Central Time
5:30PM/8PM Pacific Time

For further toonami scheduling and discussion check out the official toonami thread http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1399122

If you miss any episodes you can catch them the day after on the Adult Swim Website, found Here. http://www.adultswim.com/videos/dragon-ball-super/

Current Arc: The Universe 6 Saga (Episodes 28-46)

Description:

latest

The Universe 6 Saga, also called the God of Destruction Champa Saga, is the second saga in Dragon Ball Super manga, and the third saga in the Dragon Ball Super anime. The saga involves a tournament between Beerus and Champa, conflicting over who will possess Universe 7's Earth and the Super Dragon Balls.

Preview for episode 40
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weie92Sj-uU
careful about reading comments on these previews as they tend to spoil the sub version down the road (I unfortunately learned this by experience)

Past Arcs:
Battle of Gods Arc (episodes 1-14)
l3Muojd.png

Resurrection F Arc (episodes 15-27)
JetsOW1.png

FAQ:
Q: What is Dragon Ball Super?
A: Super is a direct follow up to Dragon Ball Z Kai that takes place in the 10 year period following the defeat of Majin Buu and The End of Z.

Q: Can we talk about the Manga?
A: The Manga adaption of Super differs greatly from the show itself, and the only thing that would need to be spoiler tagged are events that have yet to air, so basically follow the episodes.

Q: Can we talk about the Japanese sub version?
A: The Japanese show is well ahead in episodes and will therefore bring in spoilers. Tag if necessary but avoid discussion of it when possible. There is another thread for the subbed version here http://64.91.255.7/forum/showthread.php?t=1416504

Credit to Magwik for the OP template.

zelas

What are the details on the dub? Has it started? Didnt watch any episodes of Super before I jumped into the Universe Tournament but I would gladly take an excuse to dump the horribly misguided, or straight up awful, japanese voices.

Skeeter49

What are the details on the dub? Has it started? Didnt watch any episodes of Super before I jumped into the Universe Tournament but I would gladly take an excuse to dump the horribly misguided, or straight up awful, japanese voices.
29 episodes have aired for the dub. It just started its first original arc on the 28th episode.

I normally watch all anime with subs, but DBZ was something I watched before I actually started watching anime "seriously". Don't think there's any way I could watch Super in Japanese, so whenever this dub happens I'll be happy.

ZangBa

I wish the dub was on Crunchyroll. I definitely hate watching in Japanese, but it's so far ahead and I'm so into it already, it's hard to stop.

As much as I enjoy the voice acting in the dub I don't think I can put myself through it. I certainly don't want to watch any of the early episodes again, really was disappointed with much of the animation other than one moment of a single fight scene.

I genuinely might start watching the dub when we catch up to the current arc though. I'm enjoying the show in pretty much all aspects where it's at now.

Where can we watch Dub in USA? I am on episode 65 and honestly I have no problem with Japanese voices. But I would love to watch Dub too for nostalgia as I watched all of DBZ in English. Too bad it's not on VRV.

Where can we watch Dub in USA? I am on episode 65 and honestly I have no problem with Japanese voices. But I would love to watch Dub too for nostalgia as I watched all of DBZ in English. Too bad it's not on VRV.
It airs on Toonami on Cartoon Network / Adult Swim. Saturday nights at 11 PM ET.

Jigolo

29 episodes have aired for the dub. It just started its first original arc on the 28th episode.
Cool I'll marathon Beerus arc now then. I couldn't bear the pacing in the first 4 weeks (episodes) I quit watching until they passed Beerus arc. I've seen the movie anyway which has much better pacing and much better animation.

Didn't know how long it was going to take but I'm glad it's finally done. Stoked to see the new original arc now.

I feel like you should edit out specific examples in this post

I'm not really sure how I could be much less specific since it's spoiler tagged. It might just be easier to delete most of it. Removed them all anyway so maybe best to take them out of the quotes too just in case anyone accidentally clicks onto them. To be honest I though the dub had actually caught up to that part.

Boke1879

I watch the sub because I just gotta know what happens, but I watch the dub on toonami for support.

Love the voices

It airs on Toonami on Cartoon Network / Adult Swim. Saturday nights at 11 PM ET.

Oh I don't have either of the network. I have YouTube tv and VRV subscription. Let me check if PlayStation Vue has it. I am planning to switch to Fubo TV but it doesn't have all soccer channels still.

Yeah DBZ is the one anime I have to watch dubbed so while it sucks to be behind so much I can deal with it.

It's nice that it's finally on the new arcs now.

Didn't know how long it was going to take but I'm glad it's finally done. Stoked to see the new original arc now.
To be clear, the time it took for the dub to start was certainly Toei's doing, just like how DBZ Kai Buu Saga dub was done for a while (more than a year?) before it was allowed to be released. Funimation would have been more than capable of a simuldub.

Magwik

Banned
Welcome to the Dragon Ball Super English Dub Thread! Spoiler policy is as episode airs, any future events, characters, and arcs must be tagged appropriately.

8PM/11PM Eastern Time
7PM/10PM Central Time
5PM/8PM Pacific Time

If you miss any episodes you can catch them the day after on the Adult Swim Website, found Here.

dbs_champa_arc.jpg

Description:

The Universe 6 Saga, also called the God of Destruction Champa Saga, is the second saga in Dragon Ball Super manga, and the third saga in the Dragon Ball Super anime. The saga involves a tournament between Beerus and Champa, conflicting over who will possess Universe 7's Earth and the Super Dragon Balls.

Previous Arcs:

FAQ:
A: Super is a direct follow up to Dragon Ball Z Kai that takes place in the 10 year period following the defeat of Majin Buu and The End of Z.

A: The Manga adaption of Super differs greatly from the show itself, and the only thing that would need to be spoiler tagged are events that have yet to air, so basically follow the episodes.

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member

8PM/11PM Eastern Time
7PM/10PM Central Time
5PM/8PM Pacific Time

If you miss any episodes you can catch them the day after on the Adult Swim Website, found Here.

dbs_champa_arc.jpg

Description:

Previous Arcs:

FAQ:

Wow thank you so much! I'll definitely use this.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
The dub is pretty fantastic, by the way. The voice acting and well-written dialogue goes a long way to making the terrible (so far) action and story bearable.

Also the comedy episodes are legitimately hilarious.

Savitar

Waiting for dubs is the main reason I haven't watched the show yet, I keep up with what's going on but I have no desire to watch a shrieking Goku by some old granny.

I'm not really sure how I could be much less specific since it's spoiler tagged. It might just be easier to delete most of it. Removed them all anyway so maybe best to take them out of the quotes too just in case anyone accidentally clicks onto them. To be honest I though the dub had actually caught up to that part.
Yeah I edited the quote

Not trying to be rude or anything, but yeah the dub isn't there yet and seeing this as a dub specific thread just wanted to keep any spoilers away, even tagged

Skeeter49

I grew up with the dub, and hated the Japanese cast when I was younger. For Super, the Japanese cast has grown on me, especially Goku which was very hard for me to tolerate early on in Super.

Dub's been great though. Really well done, and everyone sounds as great as they did in Z. Also let's praise that the best 18 is back, and not the atrocious one from Kai.

My sisters in their 20's watch these consistently.

One watches the occasional anime rarely.

The other doesn't watch/do anything remotely nerdy at all but has gotten her husband to watch and to rewatch Z. They have no interest in the original Dragon Ball.

Dragon Ball nostalgia is powerful.

SOLDIER

Any updates regarding Chris Ayers' condition?

He's probably done playing Frieza either way, but I just wanted to know.

It's a bummer on several levels: his Frieza was possibly the best dub voice in the history of that franchise.

Yeah I edited the quote

Not trying to be rude or anything, but yeah the dub isn't there yet and seeing this as a dub specific thread just wanted to keep any spoilers away, even tagged

No problem, for some reason I was thinking the dub is way further along than it actually is. I was getting a little excited to see what the current subbed arc will be like dubbed but it looks like I'm in for quite a wait.

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
Waiting for dubs is the main reason I haven't watched the show yet, I keep up with what's going on but I have no desire to watch a shrieking Goku by some old granny.

Well hey she has her fans but I agree mostly. I prefer the English cast mostly and it's the only show I'm like that on. I mean I liked naruto too but could NOT watch that damn dub and almost every foreign movie I hate dubs for but dragonball is the exception

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
Any updates regarding Chris Ayers' condition?

He's probably done playing Frieza either way, but I just wanted to know.

It's a bummer on several levels: his Frieza was possibly the best dub voice in the history of that franchise.

Are you sure he beats drag queen Frieza? I love having chain smoking antagonists

I'm sorta forced to watched the dub, since I can't stand Grandma Goku's voice in the Japanese dubbing.

As somebody who started watching the Japanese dubbing very recently with DB Super, the voice of Goku really grew on me.

I mean, they all did really--but Goku in particular I now think has a great voice in the Japanese dub. It's when Goku is quiet and serious that I think he sounds *great*!

That aside, I'm really eager to see this dub progress. Having watched most of DB Super dubbed in Japanese, I'd be very excited to see future arcs dubbed in English!

Has Toonami finally gotten to the good part of Super? The show has been pretty mediocre so far..

If I'm getting the dubbed air dates right it looks like there's about 20~ more episodes before things really start to pick up, but even then I'd say it doesn't really get into its stride for another 50~ episodes. I did really enjoy the episodes in between at the time but the quality has improved a lot in the later episodes.

Though I'm only pulling dates from the web, no access to the dub here afaik.

I started watching DBS when the English dub came out. I refuse to watch it in Japanese as I grew up with the English dub on Cartoon Network back in the day.

I’m glad that we’re finally getting to the new content!

Why is trunks and Goten so small after 10 years? Aren't they like 19 or something?

It's been more like 10 months (after Kid Buu but way before Uub).

Honestly I still have to catch up. Being I still haven't seen Resurrection F yet, I'm thinking of just watching that instead of Super's dragged out half-assed version (that way I could just get to the series' original stuff already / where Toonami's at).

Narroo

Hm, just watched an Episode of the Dub; Golden Freeza to be exact. Kinda sucks; the movie was much better. This was way too dragged out, and the animation sucked.

Skeeter49

Why is trunks and Goten so small after 10 years? Aren't they like 19 or something?
The problem is Toriyama not updating their designs, and Toei appearantly not wanting to do it without his input.
The bigger issue is Marron.
Goten and Trunks we can argue aren't aging correctly due to being saiyan.

cntr

Banned
My recommendation for people catching up:

Watch the first six episodes, skip to episode 15, and then watch up to episode 20, then skip to episode 28 and catch up. In other words, watch the slice-of-life episodes, the pre-fight goofy episodes, and skip the actual fights until you get to the first Super-original arc.

Oh, and don't take the show too seriously. Dragonball is not a serious show, and Super's comedy gets it right where Z got it wrong.

Hm, just watched an Episode of the Dub; Golden Freeza to be exact. Kinda sucks; the movie was much better. This was way too dragged out, and the animation sucked.

It gets way better after episode 28 or so. I dismissed this anime earlier due to bad animation but I am glad I gave this a shot. It is amazing.

Skeeter49

Has Toonami finally gotten to the good part of Super? The show has been pretty mediocre so far..

The last 2 episodes, 28 and 29 are the start of Super's first original arc, tomorrow's episode is episode 30. In my opinion the current arc as a whole is good.

RoF is Super at it's worst. The Golden Frieza parts are especially awful.

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
It's been more like 10 months (after Kid Buu but way before Uub).

Honestly I still have to catch up. Being I still haven't seen Resurrection F yet, I'm thinking of just watching that instead of Super's dragged out half-assed version (that way I could just get to the series' original stuff already / where Toonami's at).

there's only 1 filler villain that's different in the series. The movie has MUCH better animation as well.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Literally took the words out of my mouth. But I'm enjoying where it's currently at. Lots of setup for what I hope to be an awesome tournament.

Top Bottom