• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alice Glass, new single - Without Love

PillarEN

Aliiiiiice baby. I only heard the 30 second preview. Gonna look for a full length release.

Seems a little bit more poppy and a lot less harsh.

EDIT: It's on Spotify. Listening now.

MrS

Banned
Her voice is pretty bad without Ethan Kath's effects. Not a fan of this, or post-Alice Crystal Castles for that matter. Truly a shame.
Seems a little bit more poppy and a lot less harsh.
I would take Pap Smear and Plague over this, wouldn't you?

RMI

Banned
Her voice is pretty bad without Ethan Kath's effects. Not a fan of this, or post-Alice Crystal Castles for that matter. Truly a shame.

III was a great album and then Amnesty didn't do anything for me. This doesn't either really.

PillarEN

I would take Pap Smear and Plague over this, wouldn't you?

Honestly not high or low on it just yet. I don't think Alice has lost sight over what made her special in CC. It's just that musically it's very Kath-less. However I hear a continuation from III anyways. Using trap beats, melancholy feel. Like this wouldn't make me a fan if I wasn't a huge CC fanboy from the Glass era, but I'm hopeful for the new album. Stillbirth was a hell of a long time ago now so maybe she's quite a different person. I think she still has some venom she'd like to spew in musical form. We'll see.

I do really like the line "don't tell me what to swallow". It's sort of a reference to the old CC song Tell Me What To Swallow. So it's sort of a true detachment. A way of breaking away by essentially fighting against that song. In a metaphorical way. Or maybe I'm reading too much into it, but that immediately popped into my head.

Still excited for her record.

EDIT: After 5 listens or so I'm actually taking a liking to it. =^.^=

Amnesty has probably their best song though, even if the rest of the album is mostly okay.

Char
You real.

Surprised people where down on Amnesty. As a huge CC fan I thought it was way better than it had any right to be considering the drama that unfolded after III. Char, Fleece, Femen, Their Kindness is a Charade, Chloroform, etc are all great songs.

Anyway, she announced a tour for the fall so I have to imagine a record is following behind closely, unless she intends on performing CC covers which I highly doubt. I think I'll wait for a full release, Jupiter produced this too? I liked Stillbirth but I wasn't crazy about the production and I say that as a Health fan also.

Not really loving it and I adore her work with CC. She seems to sorely be missing Ethan's incredible production. Ethan had the power to make her sound amazing but the production just doesn't seem there on this one exposing her limited voice. I'll still be keeping a look-out for her album. Hope it's good.

I dig it, I forgot how high Alice's voice is when she's not screaming haha. It really does sound like Purity Ring in spots. Without Love, Forgiveness, and Blood Oath are all hard as fuck but the other 3 tracks don't have as much going for them and really sound like tuneless HEALTH leftovers. Maybe they'll grow on me but eh.

So now she's got 6 songs she could do. She could rip through the EP, Stillbirth and a couple of covers (CC or not) and have a short, sweet and punk setlist for her tour.

Top Bottom