• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

did Nintendo address pretty much every complaint/expectation in Nintendo Direct?

Metaroo

They stepped up and showed us some really amazing software. I wasn't the least impressed with the Wii U, but that X trailer made me do a complete 180. They have my money as soon as the Wind Waker HD remake drops.

NES and SNES :lol

Don't know why I thought they'd start with GC and N64

Because we are delusional, my friend. Dunno why i thought that Nintendo would counter the might of the new heavyweights from Sony and Microsoft with their greatest asset: their incredible GC And N64 libraries on the e-store and playable on their cool new Gamepad.

Must've been INSANE to think that Nintendo would have an OS update fix right after the presentation. No, thats an Apple or Microsoft move.

I must have really smoked the shroom when i thought that Nintendo might surprise people with the Yoshi's Island game as an exciting new e-store release, and not a full price retail 2.5d game which will probably be As good as SMBU, but that's it. In fact, i expected LOTS of cool e-store surprises, but again, That's a baller-style bigger company shock and awe move.

No, what we got is one japanese-looking open world monolith game that we probably wont see this year. We got an HD WW update instead of the Zelda from that trailer, and we got announcements for an expected Mario Kart game and the promise of a Mario Galaxy. Cool, sure...i guess...

I would've been more excited had Nintendo announced an HD e-shop classics trickling out in spring. Or, conversely, a ton of mind blowing NEW IPs. Hell, i even expected a "...and you can try the pikimin 3 demo right after this presentation" type deal.

I'm starting to understand Nintendo's problem now. Its not that they're stubborn or blind. We've been so used to the incredible bandwidth of Sony and Microsoft where big changes and advancements seem relatively painless. Xbox Live eco system? PSN Network? Summer of arcade? PS Mini games? They announce something and USUALLY within six months you're enjoying it in some fashion. Thats the benefit of teams, structure, and money.

The fact that it takes Nintendo SIX MONTHS to provide an update to fix the OS? Maybe? To trickle out a few NESand SNES games on the pad - feature that should've been launch??

Nintendo isnt a MESS, they're SMALL. It FINALLY hit me with this presentation. They really are a toy company. They're trying their best in this war of goliaths, but they're having a really tough time keeping up.

This Direct was kinda sobering. E3 will likely be a few more announcements, but this direct felt like it was giving fans what shouldve been offered at last year's E3.

Nope

Still waiting for a real account system that makes my games mine regardless of what console I have it for. Also, voice chat applied on the OS level.

A bit bummed that there's still no word on when TVII is coming to Europe and that the OS update will be a few months but otherwise, the game announcements and miiverse upgrades more than reignited my interest.

ZeroCDR

I'm happy with the announcements on the games front, but they really need to address this mess of an account system asap.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Haters will forever hate

Fans never doubted Nintendo, and Nintendo delivered big time. But even I was surprised at how much fantastic stuff they crammed in this Direct

For my part, I liked what I saw. WW HD is a very good fan service and shall build a good bridge to the first original Wii U installment.

The "X" footage did not win me over at first, but a few minutes ago I watched the trailer again and was positively stunned!

Now tweak the OS and Miiverse, undo that console bound IP stuff and make the Wii U a nice and friendly gaming machine.

I hope they keep the fire burning like that in the coming year! That's more the way to convince people.

Getting a date anywhere near a first announcement is a very rare experience.

What follows there is that -- for people that are somewhat reticent about getting on board due to lack of quality software in the near future -- this doesn't really do a ton to assuage them. Mind you, such an expectation wouldn't necessarily be reasonable, but given concerns about the pipeline, "good games are coming even sooner than you think" works even better than merely confirming "good games are coming." Not that the latter is anything to be scoffed at. It's just that it's not an automatic confidence booster given that many never doubted that Nintendo was most definitely working on software.

While this was an amazing Nintendo Direct, and made me super excited for what was announced, I haven't seen anyone mention: Apparently we're getting F Zero In February, and Super Metroid in May for THIRTY GODDAMNED CENTS EACH! For some reason that seems almost too good to be true in my mind.

And I'm really happy with how cheap the upgrade cost is for the Virtual Console titles, although it sucks having to pay at all.

meta4

I dont know what is there to be negative. They made a bunch of cool announcements. I am stoked! Hope they can get it out of the door soon because they all look awesome.

2013, year of Nintendo. Microsoft and Sony should just pack it in and bow down to their new masters.

Yeah I am sure they are trembling right now........

Coolwhip

Banned
I'm glad I got a Wii U at least. And the hype for E3 is rising. OS update, yes please. VC, yes please. Trying to change things up with Zelda, with possible co-op, YES PLEASE. WW HD, yes please. And so on. I just hope Nintendo can reach a broad audience with it. Kids these days shouldn't miss out on Nintendo and just play COD like zombies :/

javac

Except for a small difference. The 3ds finally regained the nds audience and demographic, where the Wiiu still has nothing to touch what was the Wii in 2005.
With all those cool games it's still in track for a NGC+ success, as far as we know.

Na, it looks like 3DS took over the PSP market more then the DS market. Just look at the game sales and library of games it has. It's not exclusively the PSP since the PSP never had Nintendo titles but it seems to be overlapping with that audience.

Strike

Nintendo franchises in HD. That's what I wanted, that's what I'm getting. Just drop the price at least $50 and I'm in.

Katori

No Achievements. No they certainly did not.

But I'll happily buy a Wii U for WWHD, X, and SMT x FE. I just hope that by the time one of those comes out (which is when I buy a Wii U), that they'll have some kind of roadmap for their Achievements system.

Mario007

I think he's talking about quality games which the 3DS seems to be getting quite a few of this year in the west.
Oh right, I wouldn't know much about that either, but I haven't really been following 3DS news. Q1 definitely seems barren, so the only title that I can think of right now is Pokemon.

Kacho

Nintendo addressed arguably the biggest concern, which was the lack of promising future software. Now the question is when will we get those game?

Balb

I know this was only for first-party games but I'd really like them to address the third-party multiplatform issue. At this point I kind of just want to retire my 360/PS3 and roll with the PC/Wii U until the next Sony/Microsoft consoles come out. There's no reason why Metal Gear Rising shouldn't on Wii U, for example.

zroid

Banned
they certainly didn't address every complaint
ACCOUNTS!
, but it (greatly) exceeded my expectations anyway

I think with the currently known lineup alone (as of this ND), it's enough to justify my Wii U purchase. If no new games are ever announced for the platform again, I'd be more or less satisfied. Disappointed of course, but Wii U wouldn't have been something I regret buying.

I've been a rather vocal critic of Nintendo, and the way they have handled the 3DS and WiiU.

This Nintendo Direct showed me that Nintendo was making substantial efforts towards changing the very culture of the company in order to adapt to the times. They addressed the Wii U's problems, apologized for them, and laid out a time table of the solutions. It was everything that they needed to do, and showed me, as a consumer, that they care about my enjoyment of their products.

It was enough for me to order a Wii U. :)

Linkhero1

No they didn't address every complaint. What's going on with third parties? Why is the OS still shit? They haven't released an update in a while. In terms of announcing games, I think they did an okay job with this ND.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I still won't buy Wii U until many games have come out but at least I'm assured it has some good stuff in it.

Nope. Where are the new IPs? All I saw was monolith's game and that's assuming they don't call it Xenoblade 2.

More Yoshi
More Mario (Kart)
More Smash Bros
More Zelda rehashes

Enoooooooough already.

Mario Kart I agree but...

Yoshi? The title barely gets games!

Smash? Only 3 titles!

Zelda? I guess, but they're doing more to it now.

Refining and tweaking the gameplay and using the IP for more possibilities is a much better approach than making new IPs that lacks substance and generally is just the same thing but coated with new paint.

I just woke up and I feel like I slept through an E3. Just yesterday I was telling a friend I wasn't interested in a WiiU yet, but that Fire Emblem X Shin Megami game might push me over the edge.

Derrick01

Banned
Mario Kart I agree but...

Yoshi? The title barely gets games!

Smash? Only 3 titles!

Zelda? I guess, but they're doing more to it now.

Refining and tweaking the gameplay and using the IP for more possibilities is a much better approach than making new IPs that lacks substance and generally is just the same thing but coated with new paint.

It's another Yoshi side scrolling platformer. I've played enough of those and it won't (can't) be that different. Smash is only 3 titles but it's the same thing every time as it pretty much has to be given what it is. They're always doing something new with Zelda and it always ends up mostly the same stuff each time.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Makes it semi more attractive, but only when the slate of games actually release. Plus I still think I'm waiting for a smallerish price drop of $50 or so per SKU.

Definitely has me interested, but no need to run out and grab one today.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
It's another Yoshi side scrolling platformer. I've played enough of those and it won't (can't) be that different. Smash is only 3 titles but it's the same thing every time as it pretty much has to be given what it is. They're always doing something new with Zelda and it always ends up mostly the same stuff each time.

I disagree because not all Yoshi platformers are the same (hell, only one is considered good), Smash itself is very divisive in its deeper mechanics, and well, I can't really say the same for Zelda since I'm not a huge fan of it, but top down Zelda is different from 3D Zelda, which is then differentiated by console and handheld Zeldas. It seems like that perspective of "they're all the same" comes on a casual play on them.

In any case, it's not like they didn't announce new IPs. People forget their eShop IPs and hell, The Wonderful 101.

Top Bottom