• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nu-metal that didn't suck?

Nu Metal feels like one of those genres people specifically hate due to it being old but recent and being angsty. Much like Nickelback, the hive mind has decided it sucks, instead of merely being forgettable or average.

Some criticism seems to be targetted at the lyrical content. I'll agree that it's not super thought-provoking, but neither is most mainstream music of the current era. Look at how much acclaim Closer by The Chainsmokers got. That song's lyrics blow. It's just how it is.

I say embrace your inner teenager and crank up some Limp Bizkit. Just... don't dress like Fred Durst when you do it. Also go in with the expectation that people will judge you.

Thats what so stupid about the term nobody claimed they were part of it. It painted with to broad a brush. System of a Down, Deftones, Korn, Limp Biscuit, Linkin Park, Slipknot, Static X etc..... were all called Nu Metal at some point and the majority if asked would claim they weren't Nu Metal
What would you call Limp Bizkit then? They are what I consider the quintessential example in the genre.

NotLiquid

Linkin Park were easy to make fun of back in the day but Hybrid Theory was legitimately a great album that still stands the test of time. When Linkin Park were still considered nu-metal they were actually a good band, even if Meteora was a fairly predictable followup.

Interesting thing about a lot of nu-metal bands is I don't think many of them ended up becoming bands that were evocative and informed of both the growth of their fans and the growth of themselves. Perhaps Deftones is the only exception. Deftones' early material is considered nu metal but it hasn't aged as well as their releases starting with White Pony - even if I would argue that to some extent they held onto those nu metal roots throughout their discography in multiple ways.

Korn's material is something I'm more ambivalent about - in contrast to Linkin Park I actually think their first three albums, yes, including Follow The Leader, have aged really poorly. I think the only album two great albums of the "early era" (i.e before Head and Silveria left) was Issues and Untouchables. As music makers it's the most the band has ever displayed forward-thinking creativity to positive results. Unfortunately not a lot of the catalog after that is very reflective of it either.

I wouldn't say System of a Down passes as nu-metal. If anything it's more fair to lump them into the increasingly boring and non-descript term of "alternative metal", which is perhaps equally as hard to identify. Same goes for Static-X but I'd say they had it fairly easy; they leaned more towards Nine Inch Nails styled industrial metal.

Nu Metal feels like one of those genres people specifically hate due to it being old but recent and being angsty. Much like Nickelback, the hive mind has decided it sucks, instead of merely being forgettable or average.

Some criticism seems to be targetted at the lyrical content. I'll agree that it's not super thought-provoking, but neither is most mainstream music of the current era. Look at how much acclaim Closer by The Chainsmokers got. That song's lyrics blow. It's just how it is.

I say embrace your inner teenager and crank up some Limp Bizkit. Just... don't dress like Fred Durst when you do it. Also go in with the expectation that people will judge you.

I will admit, listening to Break Stuff every so often can get the blood boiling, in a good way though.

The Nu-metal craze was the last time rock music was big and there were tons of great bands. Taproot, P.O.D., Finger Eleven (GOBS), Korn, Papa Roach, Disturbed etc. I would also put Deftones in this category and they were the absolute best. It's both fun and sad to hear all of this music played on rock stations today. It's like no radio friendly rock music has been released in 10-15 years.

gabbo

Deftones, Incubus, and System of a Down. I would say all of them have moved or expanded beyond that sound though, to their benefit.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
What would you call Limp Bizkit then? They are what I consider the quintessential example in the genre.

They probably are text book nu metal. Nu metal makes more sense during that time period though as present day trying to classify all the acts from then based on their musical sound in a similar genre is much harder to do.

Edit: To illustrate my point

Slipknot
Korn
Coal Chamber
Early Deftones
Limp Bizkit
SOAD
Mudvayne

The text book nu metal band Limp Bizcuit is probably the most odd man out of all the bands in that list.

Striker

The Linkin Park guy passing away recently led me down a path of revisiting that shitty genre my friends and I were all into in high school. Turns out the internet is right and almost everything I've relistened to is garbage with the exception of Slipknot's first 2 albums (haven't listened past there). Yeah the lyrics are awful but at least its fun to listen to and amps me up - (sic) was a surprise in how much I enjoyed it.

Can you guys make a case for any other nu-metal bands still worth listening to?

Aside from Slipknot I've tried the following who were on varying degrees of bad:
Linkin Park
Limp Bizkit
Mudvayne
They're a big heavy but mostly a melodic hard rock band. Still nu-metal since they came in the 2001 time frame. It's Flaw.

Some of my faves from them

"Only the Strong"
"My Letter"
"Recognize"

They were mildly popular in the early 00's but their biggest success was only from Payback. They split in 2004, the singer joined up with a few others to create another band that did one album and also split, but he and some of his original mates are back in 2016 and made a new album. The first album is fantastic and I still listen to it to this day. The second is pretty good and has a few great tracks. Newest album I'm still mixed on, has some decent stuff, and can't say I hate anything. I'm glad the singer, Chris Volz, has seemingly gotten over his alcoholism and gotten his head on straight. I have him on Facebook and follow some tours they do now.

Porcile

Korn - Got The Life
Limp Bizkit - Boiler

These are only two bearable nu-metal songs for me. Wes Borland is a pretty sick guitarist, no idea why he's wasting his time in Limp Bizkit. Korn also made some interesting sounds in the earlier albums. That's about it though. Anyway, who didn't use nu-metal as a springboard to find some much better bands later in life?

Deftones, even thought they stated themselves that they weren't.

And they were right. Nu metal fucking sucked.

Still, I kinda get why Deftones got thrown in with that genre.

OP should probably listen to Deftones. Everything up to Koi No Yokan is good. White Pony and Around the Fur especially.

NotLiquid

Does the first Slipknot album counts as numetal?

Kinda, yes. The first album dipped a lot into rap metal-isms that were a big element to nu-metal. Spit It Out was an infamous example, and it's probably the album where Sid Wilson's producer/turntabler influence is at it's most palpable. Slipknot got a lot of clout off of the album having been touted by critics and fans as the "heavier alternative to Limp Bizkit". Iowa moved a little away from that but compensated with a bit more pop influence.

Vol. 3 onward is, essentially, heavy/alternative metal. With their fourth album there were a lot of people debating about whether Slipknot was starting to overlap too much with Stone Sour, which was another band that Corey Taylor and Jim Root are a part of (or rather were in the case of the latter).

Skux

Linkin Park were easy to make fun of back in the day but Hybrid Theory was legitimately a great album that still stands the test of time. When Linkin Park were still considered nu-metal they were actually a good band, even if Meteora was a fairly predictable followup.

Agreed. Linkin Park was the only band to really nail the "nu" elements of the genre, which included hybridisation with other genres such as electronic music, turntable elements (scratching/sampling), and hip-hop. There was no band that sounded like them (and arguably no band has been able to sound like their first two albums ever since).

They're a big heavy but mostly a melodic hard rock band. Still nu-metal since they came in the 2001 time frame. It's Flaw.

Some of my faves from them

"Only the Strong"
"My Letter"
"Recognize"

They were mildly popular in the early 00's but their biggest success was only from Payback. They split in 2004, the singer joined up with a few others to create another band that did one album and also split, but he and some of his original mates are back in 2016 and made a new album. The first album is fantastic and I still listen to it to this day. The second is pretty good and has a few great tracks. Newest album I'm still mixed on, has some decent stuff, and can't say I hate anything. I'm glad the singer, Chris Volz, has seemingly gotten over his alcoholism and gotten his head on straight. I have him on Facebook and follow some tours they do now.

Honestly, I'm a fan of Volz. Listened to a lot of Flaw while I was in college. Enjoyed their first 2 albums a bunch.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
There is also the idea of rap rock and nu metal which sorta mean the same thing but sorts don't at the same time.

gfxtwin

Obligatory Deftones and SOAD mention. And Incubus, if they were ever considered nu metal.

I'd also say that Disturbed have their moments and can be fun to listen to now and then.

And one band nobody mentioned - Sikth. The premise of their music is to take a nu metal sound and play it with the technical proficiency of something like Dillinger Escape Plan. The result sounds like a combo of SOAD, Incubus, Dillinger Escape Plan, Mike Patton and Meshuggah. It's pretty dope and frequently hilarious.

EDIT: Also Kalieder is a new band that seem to be influenced by 90's rock and a nu metal style and their music is melodic and tasteful af.

Metalmarc

Not to be a Metal elitst prick but Most Nu-Metal was cheesy.

That said i'm a prick in general anyway so, and i also liked some cheesy metal when i was younger, so i listened to a bit though i wouldn't admit it to people

Some songs i used to like, not sure if these are all numetal or not

Powerman 5000 - Worlds Collide
Drowning Pool - Bodies
Soil - Halo
Slipknot - Before I Forget
Murderdolls - Dawn of the Dead (hey were they really nu metal or horror rock/metal?, i like all of their songs)
Rob Zombie - all of his stuff (nu metal or no?)

Hoo-doo

Banned
I always felt like Nu-Metal's sole purpose was to get people hooked and interested in the heavier genres of metal. Sort of like a sucky gateway drug for the good, talented stuff.

But bands like System of a Down have an unique sound and were doing some great stuff back in the day. I'll even admit to having enjoyed the first Slipknot album before they started completely phoning it in.
Also, is Sepultura considered Nu-Metal?

X-Frame

If anyone is interested, there is a band out now called From Ashes To New which has an EP and an album out and they sound very much like the old Linkin Park (to me).

jmdajr

I always felt like Nu-Metal's sole purpose was to get people hooked and interested in the heavier genres of metal. Sort of like a sucky gateway drug for the good, talented stuff.

But bands like System of a Down have an unique sound and were doing some great stuff back in the day. I'll even admit to having enjoyed the first Slipknot album before they started completely phoning it in.
Also, is Sepultura considered Nu-Metal?

Sepultura is one of the inventors of the NuMetal sound. But they were essential a thrash pseudo death metal band before that.

Also funny to see Funny Factory listed as Numetal. To me they were always industrial metal, but I can see the influence as well. All riffs, no guitar solos etc.

Pantera obviously also had a HUGE influence on NuMetal even though they are Thrash/Groove metal.

Korn basically took all that sound and became the poster child for NuMetal. They had that sound from day1.

edit: If NuMetal is cheesy, I don't know what that makes my love for cock rock. I guess I'm just one giant cheese monster from hell. I own it. NO apologies.

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".

Some criticism seems to be targetted at the lyrical content. I'll agree that it's not super thought-provoking, but neither is most mainstream music of the current era.

This.This.This.

Now onto posting some good albums imo by bands that fairly and unfairly get lumped in with the genre.

Linkin Park - Hybird Theory
81iC%2BO0ec2L._SY355_.jpg
Linkin Park - Meteora
Incubus- Morning View
System Of A Down - Toxicity
System Of A Down - Hypnotize
System Of A Down - Mezmerize

gfxtwin

Not to be a Metal elitst prick but Most Nu-Metal was cheesy.

Yes, but like any style or genre of art there are exceptions.

But overall, has there ever been a style of music that misjudged what would be tasteful 20 years later more than nu-metal? I say this as someone who wore JNCOS and korn shirts in middle school. I got rekt lol.

groansey

Deftones.
That's it.

Rival Schools - Used For Glue, though not really nu-metal, more heavy punk-emo. Pop-punk from that period has aged better.

System Of A Down have always been awful. Just as silly as LP but for some reason considered more credible as artists.

Interesting thing about a lot of nu-metal bands is I don't think many of them ended up becoming bands that were evocative and informed of both the growth of their fans and the growth of themselves. Perhaps Deftones is the only exception. Deftones' early material is considered nu metal but it hasn't aged as well as their releases starting with White Pony - even if I would argue that to some extent they held onto those nu metal roots throughout their discography in multiple ways.

Korn's material is something I'm more ambivalent about - in contrast to Linkin Park I actually think their first three albums, yes, including Follow The Leader, have aged really poorly. I think the only album two great albums of the "early era" (i.e before Head and Silveria left) was Issues and Untouchables. As music makers it's the most the band has ever displayed forward-thinking creativity to positive results. Unfortunately not a lot of the catalog after that is very reflective of it either.

I wouldn't say System of a Down passes as Nu Metal. If anything it's more fair to lump them into the increasingly boring and non-descript term of "alternative metal", which is perhaps equally as hard to identify. Same goes for Static-X but I'd say they had it fairly easy; they leaned more towards Nine Inch Nails styled industrial metal.

It might not be the best timing, but I totally disagree that Hybrid Theory stands the test of time. It was an album that was musically tight and polished, but was completely generic and sounded like Nu-Metal by numbers, so it sounded tired the moment it released. I can't think of a single thing Linkin Park did on that album that other bands hadn't done better in the 5 or 6 years before it came out.

Korn were the big breakthrough band for Nu-Metal and I'd nominate their first album if I had to pick one representative of the genre.

If Sepultura don't go in it then Soulfy must do.

Anyway, System of A Down is still good, I can listen to Korn that's pre year 2000. Deftones were great and still are good.

I feel like a lot of bands around that time had 4 or 5 great songs and not much of anything else so their subsequent albums were just terrible.

jmdajr

Yes, but like any style or genre of art there are exceptions.

But overall, has there ever been a style of music that misjudged what would be tasteful 20 years later more than nu-metal? I say this as someone who wore JNCOS and korn shirts in middle school. I got rekt lol.

In some ways Numetal gets more shit than "cock rock" ever did. People still respect the likes of Guns N Roses.

I think the only genre of the heavy metal family tree that doesn't get much grief is Grunge. And that's just the first wave, not the fucking Creeds of the world.

Almost ever genre of metal I like is reviled, and at the least..ignored.

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
Disturbed - The Sickness
Disturbed - Ten Thousand Fists
Static X - Cannibal

I really like Korn and think majority of their albums are usually good. Untitled in particular being a standout and very underrated piece of work. I think Head coming back was a mistake as the last two albums have sucked imo. I ain't ashamed of my nu metal luv.

If Breaking Benjamin counts, I'd say them. Phobia and We Are Not Alone are amazing. A lot of good stuff on from Phobia in particular. Saturate and Dear Agony depends on who you ask, personally not a huge fan of them. Newest album, Dark Before Dawn was decent.

old

They didn't rap but they had that same big crunchy down-tuned guitar aesthetic, Rammstein.

Edit: add Static X - Wisconsin Death Trip
Great songs like I Am, Push It, and Love Dump.

I feel a lot of people are considering any late 90's rock band as nu-metal...
Rammstein is much more post industrial.
Some might event define as pop-Laibach

NotLiquid

Interestingly the most "nu metal" track on Deftones' White Pony wasn't even supposed to be on the album. Back To School (Mini Maggit) was recorded after the original release of White Pony because the label were pressuring the band to turn Pink Maggit into a "radio" single since the label couldn't think of any more singles to release. None of the band was happy about it and Chino, who was pissed off, churned the song out in a day just to prove how easy it was to do a radio friendly track. He's since then called the song a mistake and regrets ever compromising to the label.

Incidentally it's only ever since White Pony that the band moved more and more away from their nu metal roots and embraced more ethereal alternative metal-isms, more notably with Saturday Night Wrist.

I feel a lot of people are considering any late 90's rock band as nu-metal...
Rammstein is much more post industrial.
Some might event define as pop-Laibach

Rammstein is more specifically associated with the fairly niche genre of Neue Deutsche Härte, which was coined by German music press back when there was a large wave of German bands who would combine alternative metal with electronic/groove metal elements. But yes, Rammstein in broad speaking terms lean more towards industrial metal. Much like the aforementioned Static-X I feel that slapping the nu-metal label on them is fairly misinformative.

Luminaire

Some of Spineshank was pretty decent. I quite liked the first Dry Kill Logic as well.

Spineshank's first album is legit great. They took a huge nosedive after that though.

Wow, someone else remembers Spineshank. I liked them too. Also, remember, the same band head/singer made a band called Silent Civilian and the first album is pretty good.

I will always love their 2nd album - The Height of Callousness. It was their most aggressive and heavy sound, their fastest and most creative set of songs and just intense from the start. They were one of my gateway bands that got me into heavier stuff. Silent Civilians two albums are good too, but it's a shame the latest Spineshank album was so bad. I never liked the first album much either. Regardless, glad to see others had fond memories.

Top Bottom